Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Until you get to Xen. Then it just becomes a loving chore. Seriously, it's a dull, boring slog through the last 1/3rd of the game. This is why OpFor is the better game ultimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I played that game in 1998. how do you even remember the end of it

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
got any other news/opinions from 1999?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

1gnoirents posted:

I played that game in 1998. how do you even remember the end of it

My computer is really lovely and I was playing it like 5 minutes ago lol

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

This is why the Black Mesa remake was pretty cool: you got all the good parts and none of the bad.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Frostwerks posted:

My computer is really lovely and I was playing it like 5 minutes ago lol

:|

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Atoramos posted:

This is why the Black Mesa remake was pretty cool: you got all the good parts and none of the bad.

What, does it just cut it off at this point? Cuz I remember being really interested in that poo poo when HL2 came out. But my current desktop so bad i dont think i could even play HL2 lol

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I got as high as #3 on the clq for opfor so there

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

What, does it just cut it off at this point? Cuz I remember being really interested in that poo poo when HL2 came out. But my current desktop so bad i dont think i could even play HL2 lol

yeah, they haven't done xen yet.

i never played HL but i did finish black mesa and i don't feel like the alien stuff would have added much to the game tbh

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is anybody sitll playing multiplayer

i want to throw snarks at a dude

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

a messed up horse posted:

HL2 death match still has a ton of russians

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I legit feel bad if you're just playing HL now because of computer limitations. If you have $100 you can probably buy some desktop from 2005 that will cream that poo poo. consider it frostwerks

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

1gnoirents posted:

consider it frostwerks

what the gently caress are you talking about

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I thought half life 2 was pretty boring

sorry

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I for real wish this was what he looked like, would explain why the retard only ever pulls levers, because he's a loving neolithic rear end nigga.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

1gnoirents posted:

I legit feel bad if you're just playing HL now because of computer limitations. If you have $100 you can probably buy some desktop from 2005 that will cream that poo poo. consider it frostwerks

oh ive played it before. im just saying its still p fun now

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

a messed up horse posted:

theres a rats server that i used to play all the time before i got back into 1.6. rats maps are loving fun as poo poo and i wish more games had them. battlefield style games would be the tits if u could fly around in little rc planes strafing ngigas with bottle rockets and poo poo

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
"Surface Tension" is one of the most fun FPS levels I've played.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

vehicles in halflife were cool cause sometimes you would just explode while driving one

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Frostwerks posted:

Until you get to Xen. Then it just becomes a loving chore. Seriously, it's a dull, boring slog through the last 1/3rd of the game. This is why OpFor is the better game ultimately.

I thought xen was more like 1/4 or 1/5 of the games, it's like 4 to 6 map max.

edit: Xen is not that bad but it was a weird change of pace.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

me irl

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXNtX3qmQhQ

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

StandardVC10 posted:

"Surface Tension" is one of the most fun FPS levels I've played.

yes

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

my loving jam, thanks bud

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Nefarious posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

you can buy people's lovely computers that will play HL2 for $100 :confused: ? for instance I bought someone some HP desktop with an 8800GTS for $80 a few weeks ago on craigslist.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
whens half life episode 3 coming out? they seriously decided to place the gayest cliffhanger in ep2 and were like welp, time to make fans wait 7 more years to figure this poo poo out!!

who is gman? is it gordans dad?? They have some room to make some really trippy philosophical dystopian story progression i hope its good

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the final battle in ep2 was worse than xen

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
people blow xen's shittiness way out of proportion cuse theyre actually gigantic babys

wasting those poo poo aliens while speeding around the zero-g levels with a revolver was ace as gently caress

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
At least in Xen, you can fly around with the Gluon gun or whatever it was when you are jumping. Mod that gun with infinite ammo and fly around shooting things. Still somehow a better experience than the poo poo of Ep. 2 final battle.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

a large trout posted:

I thought half life 2 was pretty boring

sorry

Same, i never finished it. Maybe i should but meh.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

people blow xen's shittiness way out of proportion cuse theyre actually gigantic babys

wasting those poo poo aliens while speeding around the zero-g levels with a revolver was ace as gently caress

would be true if they gave you loving ammo for it. all the good weapons they're jews with the ammo

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

1gnoirents posted:

you can buy people's lovely computers that will play HL2 for $100 :confused: ? for instance I bought someone some HP desktop with an 8800GTS for $80 a few weeks ago on craigslist.

Wow that's quite a find, the card alone worth that price.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bought a GTX 980 overclocked playing Half-Life at 600 FPS and nothing else.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

i liked zen for the 'you live in this shithole?' aspect of it. gordon's lust for alien death was so bad he needed to go over there like an american gun lover flying to africa in order to satisfy his bloodlust.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Xen sucked nuts because it was ultra gay platforming garbage and floaty poo poo.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Bleusilences posted:

Wow that's quite a find, the card alone worth that price.

Maybe separate (I mean, it'd be a little tragic to spend $80 on it today but im not surprised if thats what they list for) but a lot of HP pavillions had that card and a lot of their owners dont know/dont care. The hard part is just getting the computer itself vs the whole thing

edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-Nvidia...=item3f485cf2de

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-GeForce-8800-GTS-512MB-GDDR3-PCIe-/151615197952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234cf85300

ie. "please take it away"

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I remember being a kid and thinking Ultima IX would run well on my PC.

Lmao.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
That Hydra monster in the Rocket pit that you had to throw grenades at was loving annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
look everyone, its the most original opinion ever posted!

Seriously though I'm one of the people who likes Zen. It's interesting from a narrative standpoint, because you get to see where all these weird creatures come from, and also from a gameplay perspective as a way to switch things up and keep the game at least nominally difficult toward the end, keeping the player on their toes.

Many gamers often gripe about the lack of originality and willingness to try different ideas in games. We all see the same bland, garbage modern warfare type FPS games keep coming out and wonder why no one has the cojones to switch it up a little. This is why. If you dont give babby the exact game hes expecting to play he will still be bitching about it literally decades later. food 4 thought~

• Locked thread