Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

Is the end of the game just "everyone dies"?

Apparently it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
This is my favorite example of how ludicrously detailed these games are. Gale, from the beginning, has had this weird hand gesture thing he did, right? So I actually did it one time.

It's the same motion I already did to move glasses up on my nose. Hell, didn't Gale do that even before gaining his Atma? The cool poo poo you can do when you write the whole story before making the game.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
You may think poo poo has gotten as crazy as it can but I assure you no.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I think what irks me the most about Cielo's death is that he's used awesome laser beams before while flying around. I want to believe that he didn't need to kill himself here just to succeed. God, that's just heartbreaking.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I'm not sure if I want to think that everyone who has died knew full well that they weren't going to make it out and had no confidence they were going to get the world unfucked; That's misery incarnate if this "plan" ends up working.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I knew it was probably coming as soon as Agrilla and Heat and Roland died, but Gale and Cielo. :smith:

The first JRPG I've ever seen where I legitimately like the entire party and they're getting shredded. I have the strong inkling we're gonna be seeing people again, though, given we're trying to go to God, source of all Data, to plead for poo poo to get unfucked.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 12, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

This is my favorite example of how ludicrously detailed these games are. Gale, from the beginning, has had this weird hand gesture thing he did, right? So I actually did it one time.

It's the same motion I already did to move glasses up on my nose. Hell, didn't Gale do that even before gaining his Atma? The cool poo poo you can do when you write the whole story before making the game.

:aaaaa:

This game goes deep, goddamn. I also hadn't guessed that poo poo about how the Junkyard AIs got their personalities from residual data from Sera's beach simulation...

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Man this game.....

Freakin LOVE it :allears:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Those last couple of updates :suspense: That was unexpected.

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012
Wait, so at the end of the game there are only two party members? O.O
Both weak to fire?
This is going to complicate fights...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

God drat it CIelo you are not allowed to do that, your dying privileges have been revoked, get your rear end right back in my party this instant you big jerk!

...Please? :(

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Waterguy posted:

Both weak to fire?

You'll see!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This game knows where to hit you and hits hard. After so much time spent building everyone up and they're just taken down one after the other like the developers had a hit list But I think what's coming up is worth it.

Anyway, the Airport felt like the biggest filler dungeon in the game. Enemy quality aside, it's just kinda there because someone went "We need to pad stuff before the end!", or at least that's what I feel about it.

Dragonatrix posted:

So, if you're one of the maybe seven people that actually watch the field hunts, you may have picked up on how I had no bloody clue where to go.
Seeing you keep getting turned around by the camera was pretty funny. Still, despite that you still got good results so I think it's rather well done compared to others.
Although sadly the rewards are way smaller.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

HGH posted:

This game knows where to hit you and hits hard. After so much time spent building everyone up and they're just taken down one after the other like the developers had a hit list But I think what's coming up is worth it.

Anyway, the Airport felt like the biggest filler dungeon in the game. Enemy quality aside, it's just kinda there because someone went "We need to pad stuff before the end!", or at least that's what I feel about it.

I legitimately remembered the scene with Jenna and Gale happening back at the EGG Facility, with the airport being literally just there to pad poo poo out. I'm glad they put SOMETHING worthwhile there, don't get me wrong, but yeah, could have been omitted. Especially considering how much dungeon the Final Dungeon actually is.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I was always disappointed we didn't get to fight Angel again. It seemed like an inevitable boss fight for the finale of the airport dungeon.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So I've been trying to find a bright side to the whole sitution and the best I could come up with is that at this point the game's most likely out of ways to punch us in the gut. Why are you so cruel Atlus, I really liked those characters :smith:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Aumanor posted:

So I've been trying to find a bright side to the whole sitution and the best I could come up with is that at this point the game's most likely out of ways to punch us in the gut. Why are you so cruel Atlus, I really liked those characters :smith:

You really think Atlus' cruelty engineers are out of ways to gently caress with you? There are still two whole characters left alive. TWO. That's as many as two more than they want alive. And there's not really anyone left alive to even give them an epic death so it's probably gonna be pretty punk.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Feinne posted:

You really think Atlus' cruelty engineers are out of ways to gently caress with you? There are still two whole characters left alive. TWO. That's as many as two more than they want alive. And there's not really anyone left alive to even give them an epic death so it's probably gonna be pretty punk.

Did any Atlus game actually end on a TPK?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe the cat becomes the third party member, ever consider that?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Aumanor posted:

Did any Atlus game actually end on a TPK?

Arguably DDS3 Nocturne, though I suppose the PC survives, but the entire world dies. All of it. Forever. To fuel his ascent to be the Right Hand of Satan and storm the throne of God.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
this thread finally got me to play these games, they're very good.

hard mode actually lives up to the name a little when you don't carry over the bonus stats from a mostly completed mantra grid and don't know what weakness/attacks every boss features

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Everyone's data gets sent to God though, right? The who Hindu/Buddhist thing seems played more or less straight to me, so maybe everyone will get reincarnated (again)? Of course if what I know of those philosophies gets followed up on in the game there will be no similarities between the people who died and who/what they come back as.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Seriously though you don't want what's coming next spoiled for you it's awesome.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

One thing I don't get is how David's data wound up in the Junkyard in the first place. I get Cielo appearing there because Sera knew about him, along with the rest of Embryon. From what the game tells us, Sera never met David, thus never giving her a template to create Gale from. Is that explanation stuck in some obscure guide book somewhere or something?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

And how did Gale know about him?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Waterguy posted:

Both weak to fire?

Not really, just set up the right manta and you're fine.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And why was Sera's version of Gale coldly logical (initially)?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

One thing I don't get is how David's data wound up in the Junkyard in the first place. I get Cielo appearing there because Sera knew about him, along with the rest of Embryon. From what the game tells us, Sera never met David, thus never giving her a template to create Gale from. Is that explanation stuck in some obscure guide book somewhere or something?

Same goes for Fred's dad. I think a conversation in last(?) update actually hints on the likely reason: Sera didn't merely set up a VR system (how would she even do that?), she made one with some sort of involvement from God, and I would guess that somehow got it hooked up with actual reincarnation.

Lex Averial
May 12, 2004

Swans. You know, birds.

AradoBalanga posted:

If all data returns to god and Sera was in contact with god, perhaps some of god's data passed back through Sera into the Junkyard. Just my guess at this point. I never finished the second DDS.

ultrafilter posted:

And how did Gale know about him?

Gale had all those flashes of memories from his past life. I guess he'd remembered more than he let on.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Everyone was coldly logical initially, being that they're all meant to be blank-slate combat AIs. He was just one of the last to awaken to his data-soul-thingamajig.

In the latter half of the first game just about every NPC starts recognising concepts that don't exist in the Junkyard, or remember details from their previous lives. Every single mook the Embryon fought was a real person whose data got stuck in the Junkyard

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Night10194 posted:

everyone in the junkyard was initially like gale, it's just easy to gloss over this because everyone else gets emotions within the first hour or two while gale waits until just before the second to last dungeon

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I know that part, it's more that even when he triggered, Gale remained much closer to that archetype, just tempered with compassion and purpose.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's not like we know much about David other than him being a scientist and being in a relationship with Jenna. It's a bit further down the line, but the whole "you mustn't hate them" spiel David did was reflected earlier by Gale telling Sera not to hate anyone back in the Power Plant.

David was probably just a very composed person is all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

True enough. RIP Gale, you were a super cool guy and I liked you a lot.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

OddObserver posted:

Same goes for Fred's dad. I think a conversation in last(?) update actually hints on the likely reason: Sera didn't merely set up a VR system (how would she even do that?), she made one with some sort of involvement from God, and I would guess that somehow got it hooked up with actual reincarnation.

Lex Averial posted:

If all data returns to god and Sera was in contact with god, perhaps some of god's data passed back through Sera into the Junkyard. Just my guess at this point. I never finished the second DDS.

That's my take too, Sera's function as the cyber shaman was talking to God to collect data for scientific purposes, so when the Asura Project began and she asked God for data to create the most advanced AIs it sent the code of actual people whose data had returned to it (ie: died).

Night10194 posted:

I know that part, it's more that even when he triggered, Gale remained much closer to that archetype, just tempered with compassion and purpose.

Well, even though Gale was based on David, he is his own person and developed his own personality. Remember Serph's introspection battle to prove he isn't Dr. Serph nor Sera's AI boy toy.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

So what the hell is up with that theory that the mime dude was Bat's avatar then? He wasn't dead before the Bat AI existed and something tells me an elite guard crazy man wouldn't be allowed around Sera much if at all.

Though honestly that just brings up literally every AI in the junkyard besides Beck.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Yeah, Gale flat out stated that he's NOT David. He's just based on his data.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Oh my god this game just keeps getting better.

Also

Dragonatrix posted:

Serph... I won't be afraid, as long as you're here.
This feels like foreshadowing. Is Serph going to die again?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Schir posted:

Oh my god this game just keeps getting better.

Yessssss. This sequence in particular is one of the best things I've come across in any JRPG, since it really does feel like all your options are failing and everything is falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
RIP Cielo, dying for the dream.

RIP Gale, because Angel can't even let herself be happy.

• Locked thread