Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Even though the metro unlocks early, I haven't used it yet, since it seems real dumb to have a metro system in place before you have skyscrapers, and doubly dumb to have a metro before you even have trains.

My cities are far from optimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405822493

Well, Rollercoaster city is pretty amazing. Upload it to the Workshop.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
Are there any tips and tricks for using the road tool? Finding it hard to make cool shapes.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Anyone tell me what causes a "too few services" thing to pop up over a building? I've got two neighbouring industrial buildings that both have it, but I've deployed all the services available so far, and everything seems to be running smoothly. Are they just after another park or something?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Foxhound posted:

Just rename the thread to "Cities Skylines: Through the Fire and the Flames" because holy poo poo I've never seen such an incompetent fire brigade.

I really wish building would say which stupid services they need to upgrade too, they have access to every city service, a bus line, a metro, both kinds of trains and plenty of recreational areas but gently caress that let's stay one inch under max level. :argh:

Sometimes they want more services than they're telling you. Double up on something and see if that helps.

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013

Pipski posted:

Anyone tell me what causes a "too few services" thing to pop up over a building? I've got two neighbouring industrial buildings that both have it, but I've deployed all the services available so far, and everything seems to be running smoothly. Are they just after another park or something?

I had the same problem

Jamsque posted:

Put some bus routes around the area, transit counts as a service.

Jamsque pretty much nailed it.

I built metro stations and liberally sprinkled bus stops near the area I wanted to upgrade - in addition to a few cheap police stations/fire stations. That did the trick basically.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
gotta love it when you create an oil outpost and the hearses come from like 20 miles away to get the dead people instead of from the cemetery next door :confused:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

StarMinstrel posted:

My only question is : who's going to re-create the superior Magnasanti?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJQTc-TqpU

This is the funniest thing I've ever seen. Just think, if we had SimCity back in the 30s europe would have been spared so much grief.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I can't seem to get the first person mod to work. I've subscribed to both it and the HideUI mod, but neither of them function in-game.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

TheQat posted:

gotta love it when you create an oil outpost and the hearses come from like 20 miles away to get the dead people instead of from the cemetery next door :confused:

Yeah I have this problem too but with Fire Services. I expanded to an island and started building a big urban center. Plopped a Police Station and bigass Fire Station in the middle of it, with good access to all areas. But when there's a fire they send fire engines from the mainland across a rapidly clogging highway (road planning, what's that?) and the building burns down almost every time. :(

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I can't seem to get the first person mod to work. I've subscribed to both it and the HideUI mod, but neither of them function in-game.

Did you remember to enable them in the "content" option off the main menu?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I posted this yesterday but no one responded, so one more time for good measure: I created a dumb little 1x1 park and uploaded it, etc. but when I look at its icon in the park selection menu, it's just an untextured 3d model. I definitely created snapshots for it. Is that how it's supposed to work or did I do something wrong?

Also, it was available/selected in my Content Manager last night, but when I started the game today it was gone from that menu and all the ones I placed had disappeared from my game. Anyone else seen something like that happen?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Foxhound posted:

Yeah I have this problem too but with Fire Services. I expanded to an island and started building a big urban center. Plopped a Police Station and bigass Fire Station in the middle of it, with good access to all areas. But when there's a fire they send fire engines from the mainland across a rapidly clogging highway (road planning, what's that?) and the building burns down almost every time. :(

The game has tons of little problems like this. I'm pretty confident though that with Paradox's dad-like influence over CO they will be guided down the path of actually fixing their poo poo over the coming weeks/months.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

HORMELCHILI posted:

Did you remember to enable them in the "content" option off the main menu?

Ah, didn't know you had to do that. It's great too that if you want to be able to look around your city from ground level, you can't get achievements :confused:

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Bridgeburner_ posted:

Jamsque pretty much nailed it.

I built metro stations and liberally sprinkled bus stops near the area I wanted to upgrade - in addition to a few cheap police stations/fire stations. That did the trick basically.

Lol, I'll try. There's already a bus stop literally right outside them though. I don't have metros yet, and they're in the next street to both the police and fire station. I'll just throw everything at them. Thanks!

e; dog park seemed to do the trick.

Pipski fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 12, 2015

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
Is there a way to enable the grid of the asset editor in the main game?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Tinkle posted:

This game made me love and appreciate frontage roads.

Those U-turns are curved in the wrong direction.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Are there any tips and tricks for using the road tool? Finding it hard to make cool shapes.

Make sure you've set it to the freeform road tool, and do tiny increments at a time. If you don't want wild curves, don't go more than a few units out. It works, I think, by kind of mapping A to B and looping the road as a curve between them. Also don't forget to hit page up and page down to gently caress with the heights! :cool:

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Texas discovered roundabouts. It actually works pretty well so far.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Today I built some more stuff in the city. Lots of demand for industry and offices now, but I spent a good bit of time fixing the roundabouts and adding small touches for looks.

The view over the Office Park neighborhood just beyond the re-designated Lower Jodhnagar downtown area is stunning in the spring.

Many people love to take the bus to its large park network just to see the lush greenery.

People can always get where they're going in the bustle of the Lower city.

A view from the new Upper Jodhnagar neighborhood puts this growing and highly developed town in perspective.

Seen from an aircraft, Jodhnagar is more than just the Upper and Lower cities and the Royal Way. Small towns feed the industry with workers and products such as lumber.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Another tip for roads is to use the curved road tool, even for straight lines, cause it kind of snaps straight out automatically.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Welcome to Alcatrash

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Started watching the newest Paradox twitch vid and right away the host (A_spec ?) says something to the effect of: "Today we are going to make a stack interchange. I googled it last night and ended up on somethingawful.com where I found a thread where a civil engineer says a stack interchange is the poo poo".

Anyway, this same guy has made the last few videos for their twitch. I'm finding them pretty helpful for getting up to speed in the game.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

This is my city 9 hours into the game:

Your Honor, the prosecution holds that Mayor Defacto has been criminally negligent and incompetent in his duties.

The prosecution presents Exhibit A - the ugliest stack interchange ever built:

Exhibit B - the Eastside Highway, known to the locals as the "80s Arcade Racer Expressway":

Exhibit C - the Miniature Copy of Wilshire Boulevard:

The future prosperity of City Name is in your hands, Your Honor. Please remove Mayor Defacto from office before it is too late.

(bonus shot of the clusterfucksection from before)

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Pipski posted:

Lol, I'll try. There's already a bus stop literally right outside them though. I don't have metros yet, and they're in the next street to both the police and fire station. I'll just throw everything at them. Thanks!

e; dog park seemed to do the trick.

Yeah, even if seems like you have everything covered, try adding something more. Yesterday I managed to kick-start a few third tier office buildings by building a crematorium in the area. I think this reliance on service is going to need some tweaking.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
So I was building a separate section to my town (50%/50% housing/industrial :ussr:) and while I wasn't looking some corpses started to pile up.

A lot of corpses. Almost every house has a corpse in it. What do I do? :smith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

This is the funniest thing I've ever seen. Just think, if we had SimCity back in the 30s europe would have been spared so much grief.

So this is what a killstreak/frag montage vid looks like for city simulators, including the tryhard music and font.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mackintosh posted:

Yeah, even if seems like you have everything covered, try adding something more. Yesterday I managed to kick-start a few third tier office buildings by building a crematorium in the area. I think this reliance on service is going to need some tweaking.
I think the tooltip was left open ended because any service, anything that makes a building spew smiley faces, counts. So you could theoretically get the last bit by overcovering with extra existing services instead of it being you missed 1 service.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

So I was building a separate section to my town (50%/50% housing/industrial :ussr:) and while I wasn't looking some corpses started to pile up.

A lot of corpses. Almost every house has a corpse in it. What do I do? :smith:

Build a cemetery or crematorium nearby. Depends on how many deathbuildings you have but one cemetery should be able to clear them out faster than people die.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

mackintosh posted:

"I'm afraid you missed your quarterly sales quota again, Jenkins."

"It'll never happen again, sir!"

"You're right, Jenkins. It won't."

/pulls the crematorium trapdoor lever

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

zedprime posted:

I think the tooltip was left open ended because any service, anything that makes a building spew smiley faces, counts. So you could theoretically get the last bit by overcovering with extra existing services instead of it being you missed 1 service.

You're probably right, but I think we could use a bit more info so that we don't end up spamming superfluous services in a guessing game. That or it should be toned down.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.
Someone needs to mod in higher road/walkway limits. I want a city-spanning pedestrian walkway above the highest skyscrapers in the city.

The Sky Walker.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Who was buying this game but came in 34 cents over the $25 gift card I bought after Paypal fees?

This guy.

All I want to do is drown people in poo poo in a way that doesnt involve me posting!!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Baronjutter posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get any district based architectural policies. CO hasn't added any style tags for buildings, so I don't think we'll ever see anything like that. I'd so love to be able to download a ton of nice buildings with correct stats from the workshop, all with a standardized list of architectural tags, and then control styles per district. So if you want an old-town district with only old architecture you got it and don't have to look at glassy sci-fi stuff. I really miss the ability to control styles from sc4, and now is absolutely the time to implement such a system and standardized system of tags for the modding community to use.

Personally I would have thought when they add the 'European' buildings (which is quite nonspecific considering how varied European architecture is) they will add this.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I just spent well over an hour redoing the traffic system around my industrial area and my main intersection. When I started the game everything froze. Like the traffic stopped dead in its tracks and I couldn't pause/create stuff/speed up etc. It recognised my inputs and showed button highlights, but nothing happened in the simulation. I tried saving to reload but of course the save was corrupted :suicide:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
This game can be drat beautiful sometimes. I've been working on this custom lookup table:

Gif is here.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 13, 2015

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

cthulhoo posted:

Opened modding wiki page and welp:

:ohdear: Does this mean mods can carry viruses and security threats?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Burning Man's over you hippies !! This is the office district !!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best way to boost demand for different RCI categories?

I'm at 50k population and my RCI meter is sitting at zero. I want to grooooooow!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This travesty of aesthetics keeps my city traffic flowing freely, believe it or not.

• Locked thread