Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 247 days!)

i bought ur mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

johnny sack posted:

I don't understand how your transmissions blow all the time. Also brakes? Big loving deal, new pads are less than $100 to do yourself, new rotors barely more, what else can go wrong?

Seriously. Brand new pads/rotors on my poormobile BMW are like 250 bucks and I've gotten five years out of them with less than 50% wear.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Just get an old Honda or Toyota if you're a broke rear end nigga. If you change the oil, tires, and brakes, they run forever.

American cars are built like poo poo and designed to fail at 100k miles, and German cars are too expensive to keep up.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 13, 2015

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 247 days!)

zen death robot posted:

lots of trannies gettin destroyed itt

but enough about adtrw

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
in my opinion, its good to drive a car sometimes

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Also buy manual transmission cars. I've never had to change a transmission, but I've always owned manuals. Automatic transmissions are built to fail.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Also buy manual transmission cars. I've never had to change a transmission, but I've always owned manuals. Automatic transmissions are built to fail.

I had a 1991 Toyota Corolla(bought in 1993) that was automatic and didn't have a lick of trouble from the automatic transmission up until I got rid of it 2 years ago.
The same for the 1997 Honda that I'm driving now.

I also take good care of my cars and do regular maintenance on them so that's probably some of why I don't have a problem with them.

I'm getting a new car in a few weeks and putting about 60% of the cost down upfront and will have it paid off by next January.
Even though I could easily have saved some money getting a used car or even one that's a few years older, I'm quite happy with what I'm doing and looking forward to my new ride.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
i have custom taillights on my 2005 mustang

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
yes OP i agree some people make poor financial decisions about their cars

and I also agree some people just like having a new car and can easily afford it so it's not a big deal

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have bought 4 used cars in my life. Every one needed major work within 3 months. My mom recently bought a 3 year old Audi that had been leased to an old lady. After a few months she found out that apparently the oil hadn't been changed, ever.

In my experience, when you buy a used car you are buying someone elses problems. Peeps don't usually get rid of cars that are in good shape.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I know someone who spent $2500 to fix his transmission in his 1989 OLDESMOBILE CUTLASS. Then a month later spent A THOUSAND DOLLARS ON TIRES AND BRAKES

He hated it even when it ran. Best part is he was full blown jewish.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
I just bought a 2011 Ford F250 because I need 4W for the winters and if I ever lose my job I can get an old camper and haul my home/meth lab around with me

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

lease so that when the rust eats away your floorboards, you can just turn it in and get a new one. have fun with brake lines, fuckers.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
LOL if you do anything other than buy a used car from a private seller :D on Craigslist or whatever. If you've ever even set foot on a car dealership lot just write N00b on your freeakin forehead.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
Hell I'll say it, If you buy a new car or "certified pre owned" for the "warranty" instead of
Just fixing the car yourself or occasionally bringing to a local mechanic...You aren't a real American ....

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
lol if you're a dude and your dad didn't teach you how to perform basic vehicle maintenance like brakes and oil changes

either your dads a bitch and didn't know himself, you're a complete embarrassment to him and wants nothing to do with you, or your moms a whore and you don't know who he is

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you seriously get on your hands and knees and dick around under a car like some serf, go back to the pleb continents

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
if you don't pay cash for a car, used, new, whatever, you are a dumb rear end poor chump.

you are literally throwing money away buying a thing you cant afford.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i drove around for like a week when i had no brakes in my car. felt epic having to coast to a stop like a mile from the light every time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lufiron posted:

lol if you're a dude and your dad didn't teach you how to perform basic vehicle maintenance like brakes and oil changes

either your dads a bitch and didn't know himself, you're a complete embarrassment to him and wants nothing to do with you, or your moms a whore and you don't know who he is

Redneck spotted.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
I'd rather be a redneck than a pedo

*peels out in a pick up truck blaring ole Dixie out the horns*

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

Car leasing is so stupid.

You're throwing money away. When the lease is up...you don't even have a car to show for it!

I'm gonna drive my 1996 Ford Taurus into the ground, I'll tell you what. The transmission just went - should only cost about $4000 to fix. I already replaced it once. The brakes are due again, they keep slipping when I try to stop. Gotta buy snow tires again this year since I don't have that newfangled anti-lock brake poo poo. Only had to spend $1000 this year to fix the muffler and get it to pass inspection!

Car leasing is so expensive!

Except you can run it through your business and use it as a write off.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Jst0rm posted:

Except you can run it through your business and use it as a write off.

Hmmm
Right, my computer business

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Just get an old Honda or Toyota if you're a broke rear end nigga. If you change the oil, tires, and brakes, they run forever.

American cars are built like poo poo and designed to fail at 100k miles, and German cars are too expensive to keep up.

both Honda and Toyota have big quality problems.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiAqug4F33w

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Foid One posted:

Hmmm
Right, my computer business

well if you got it like that then it does make sense.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

etalian posted:

both Honda and Toyota have big quality problems.

Are there any new cars that aren't having big quality problems lately?

Also have any of you nerds considered buying one of those new motorized bicycles? I hear they're cheap to insure, run, and buy.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
I drive a car with 250,000 miles that's older than me and I probably spend $150 a year tops on service, maybe 500 if you include restoration stuff.

EugeneJ posted:

Car leasing is so stupid.

You're throwing money away. When the lease is up...you don't even have a car to show for it!

I'm gonna drive my 1996 Ford Taurus into the ground, I'll tell you what. The transmission just went - should only cost about $4000 to fix. I already replaced it once. The brakes are due again, they keep slipping when I try to stop. Gotta buy snow tires again this year since I don't have that newfangled anti-lock brake poo poo. Only had to spend $1000 this year to fix the muffler and get it to pass inspection!

Car leasing is so expensive!

wow you spent $4000 for one of the easiest transmissions to find in a wrecking yard to put in a car worth $3000 on a good day

EugeneJ posted:

Hi, I am leasing a new $20,000 car ($24,000 after sales tax) - I'll trade it in and lease a new car worth the same amount every 3 years

1st car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in
2nd car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in
3rd car (3 year lease): $8000 including down payment, 35,000 miles when turned in

After 9 years: $24000 paid, nothing paid in maintenance

Hi, I am buying the same $24,000 car used after it was just leased for 3 years

1st car (3 years old): $16000 after sales tax, 35,000 miles on odometer
WARRANTY EXPIRES AFTER YEAR 5
1st car (6 years old): $8000 trade in value, 70,000 miles on odometer
YOUR TRANSMISSION AND BRAKES JUST WENT - THAT'S $4000 PLEASE
1st car (9 years old): $4000 trade in value, 105,000 miles on odometer

After 6 years of ownership: $16000 paid, plus $4000 in maintenance costs = $20,000 paid

BUT SIR I CAN TRADE IT IN AND RECOUP MY COSTS

Ok fine. The local dealer accepts your 9 year old car for $4000. You ended up paying a net of $16,000 for 6 years of ownership. Which works out to $8000 for 3 years of ownership. Which is the same loving thing you pay for leasing.

its kind of telling when you expect the transmission to go out at 70k miles on a new car
also lol if you don't do your own brakes

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
Ya these guys are fucktards. Cars don't really "break down" in this day and age. Mine had 150 k miles when I bought it 3 years ago. The biggest repair I've paid for is some back suspension linkage that I messed up myself due to fail
Aids .

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
And that was like a $250 repair because I brought it to a local mechanic instead of a dealership who "know the car better" :D. This car will last me another 5 years. Bye.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
My chauffeur takes care of the car.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

As a black man its pretty easy to get fat blonde girls to give me rides so I'm still not sold on leasing

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

As a black man its pretty easy to get fat blonde girls to give me rides so I'm still not sold on leasing

That's a spicy meat sandwich! *italian gesture*

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Foid One posted:

Ya these guys are fucktards. Cars don't really "break down" in this day and age. Mine had 150 k miles when I bought it 3 years ago. The biggest repair I've paid for is some back suspension linkage that I messed up myself due to fail
Aids .

The previous owner of my lovely explorer went through 3 automatic transmissions. I've had to burn a couple grand on parts for this POS myself.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Marxalot posted:

The previous owner of my lovely explorer went through 3 automatic transmissions. I've had to burn a couple grand on parts for this POS myself.
Sorry to hear that OP. Was it from a dealership?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Foid One posted:

Sorry to hear that OP. Was it from a dealership?

It was heavily used and free from a family member that was upgrading to a non-pos. All in all not a bad deal.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Marxalot posted:

I drove a 15 year old BMW 5 series and never had a problem with the automatic transmission. Regular radiator or electrical issues but transmission was just fine :)

edit: Like the previous post it was a hand-me-down from family, never had a problem with rust either especially because :canada:

Cacator fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 14, 2015

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
This reminds me of the classic Obama "cash for clunkers" ploy in which he destroyed the used car market, harming the working class... in order to benefit.. Car dealers? The worst people on earth? *fail horn plays*

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Cacator posted:

I drove a 15 year old BMW 5 series and never had a problem with the automatic transmission. Regular radiator or electrical issues but transmission was just fine :)

I've fried about 4 alternators in 7 years (under warranty, whatever) and had the radiator leak once. Explorers kind of suck, if the whole catching on fire thing didn't help everyone figure that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Foid One posted:

This reminds me of the classic Obama "cash for clunkers" ploy in which he destroyed the used car market, harming the working class... in order to benefit.. Car dealers? The worst people on earth? *fail horn plays*

thanks obama

Marxalot posted:

I think the lesson to be learned is don't own a ford that's older than a couple years old (they actually make good cars again)

Foid One posted:

Aids .

New cars do because they're starting to be designed to only be serviceable by the dealership re: audi service position. When you can't perform basic maintenance on your own car, it suddenly becomes pretty easy to get in deeper than the car's worth once these cars begin to depreciate. Cars are basically designed to be disposable at this point.

By contrast I could throw a new 20-40k miles motor in my car for $300-400 including the cost of tools assuming I started with nothing but the toolkit provided with the car, and a teenager could figure out how to do it in an afternoon with youtube videos or a manual.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 14, 2015

• Locked thread