Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artum posted:

Surprised no ones mentioned the fight between GaoGaiGar and Zonuda from the regular end of the show, that's always been a good one for sheer brutality and lack of stock footage.

It's been brought up like 3 times. No one's mentioned EP 30, but I guess an entire episode is a bit much (that's the end of the first arc before the Primevals show up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Loose brought that up as being the "end of season 1".

edit: also no, it totally hasn't that's the palparepa fight and GGG/GFG fight that's been mentioned a bunch.

KoB
May 1, 2009

KoB posted:

the final battle of GGG proper
:colbert:

GGGG vs Palparepa is a lot of recycled footage from that fight too, but its still great.

EI-01 is a great episode but I dont think the fight choreography is above average or anything. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

:colbert:

GGGG vs Palparepa is a lot of recycled footage from that fight too, but its still great.

EI-01 is a great episode but I dont think the fight choreography is above average or anything. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

Alright fine ONE time. :colbert:

The EI-01 fight is mostly good for the plotting and the music and so on rather than the choreography being anything fancy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think GGGG v Palparepa had much/any stock footage, just a lot of callbacks to fights from the series.

KoB
May 1, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

I don't think GGGG v Palparepa had much/any stock footage, just a lot of callbacks to fights from the series.

Sorry, didnt really mean "stock footage" but they use/call back to practically the exact same scenes from the Zonuda fight. Like the scene were GGG pulls the wing off.

I guess it might be a call back but its just exactly the same and felt a little lazy.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I dunno if many others would rate it highly, but one of my favourite mecha fights is from the 2007 Gaiking series. Its one of those moments that reminds of how insanely good Toei animation can be when it isn't being really cheap with the budget (as true today as it was eight years ago). Basically, a super move called Face Open gets a second outing because its first rather did not live up to the hype.

Said second outing was basically DBZ meets mecha. Really fast paced, I find the theme song gets timed really well to the action, and the damned spectacle never fails to excite. Short, but utterly sweet.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
That episode always felt like they were making the show and thought "poo poo there's no way we arent cancelled, lets just spend ALL the money".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love giant robot fisticuffs.

No guns, barely any weapons, just a shitload of punching each other(sometimes with drills).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

That episode always felt like they were making the show and thought "poo poo there's no way we arent cancelled, lets just spend ALL the money".

It's kinda the reverse, by the end of the show there were some animators helping out for free because they had nothing left.

They did have some money to do a lot of corrections to the dvd release at least.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Srice posted:

It's kinda the reverse, by the end of the show there were some animators helping out for free because they had nothing left.

Seriously? That's both hilarious and amazing. The cast of the show were fantastic, and Daiyu was a really likable lead character. Starting off the show attacking a giant monster with a fishing spear because you've got no other clues to your father's whereabouts is a good sign and he only built from there. I'm biased though, because he's basically mecha Luffy and I can't not love that. The fact it never got a sequel is a crying shame on the same level as Shin Mazinger to me.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Srice posted:

They did have some money to do a lot of corrections to the dvd release at least.

It does feel like Gaiking LoDM was as show that pulled through just because of all the love being poured into it. It is a shame that it is even less known than Shin Mazinger, because it was really good.

KoB
May 1, 2009

tsob posted:

Seriously? That's both hilarious and amazing. The cast of the show were fantastic, and Daiyu was a really likable lead character. Starting off the show attacking a giant monster with a fishing spear because you've got no other clues to your father's whereabouts is a good sign and he only built from there. I'm biased though, because he's basically mecha Luffy and I can't not love that. The fact it never got a sequel is a crying shame on the same level as Shin Mazinger to me.

Except grown up Daiya and glasses-friend looked creepy as hell like Muscle Gon.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Darth Walrus posted:

I mostly asked because I was having difficulty thinking about it, and I like to learn more about cinematography - what makes good fight choreography and the like, and how it applies to non-human combatants. Banagher going loco on Frontal in Episode Three of Gundam Unicorn is very impressive, and so are eps 6, 15, and 18 of Gundam Build Fighters. I was mentally ruling out the Evangelion options because they're robot (for a given definition of 'robot') versus monster rather than robot versus robot, but Rebuild Sahaquiel is quite a spectacle.

Mecha shows do have some really good cinematography: like look at the "camera" work in the Great Mazinger OP. It angles around one movement (like the Thunder Break) to have GM posed well in each frame, the movement and expressions of the monsters are clearly framed, and there's some really nice zooms i.e the boomerang cutting through the elephant warbeast.

Plus there are really good action directors like Imagawa, Oshii, and Tomino working in the genre, and each has a distinct style that is still awesome in its own way (they're my favorites, obviously there's others):

Imagawa- the first rocket punch in Shin Mazinger focuses a huge amount of emotion and hype onto one brief attack. It literally punches the camera in the face.

Tomino- This 50-second fight between the Turn A and a WaDom has a great use of space. You can tell exactly where the Turn A, the WaDom, and the beam saber are at every point, and the size difference is exploited really well in the fight choreography.

Oshii- The opening scene from Patlabor 2 is a pretty accurate look at modern armored warfare. You spend most of your time looking at poorly-lit monitors, praying you see the bastard with the ATGM before he gets you. It's bleak, detached, and tense all at once.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 21, 2015

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
By the way, Dynamic Pro Scanlations just completed volume 3 of Shin Mazinger Zero. The story is going in a direction I hadn't expected.

http://getterrobo.blogspot.com

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

GimmickMan posted:

It does feel like Gaiking LoDM was as show that pulled through just because of all the love being poured into it. It is a shame that it is even less known than Shin Mazinger, because it was really good.

Its one of the earliest mecha shows that I really got into and completed watching after I came to understand the vast power of this 'internet'. If I recall correctly, the Face Open scene may be what actually got me into it, because it was like, how the hell could I miss out on a show that had that in it?

Which does remind me a bit of another favourite moment (sort of) of mine that I discovered around the same time. Not technically a single scene in that it was stock footage, but man, watching the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk2kuDMIKUwMETEOR ZAPPER[[/url] for the first time from Ryu Knight was goddamn exhilarating. Somebody out there decided that the robot's super move should be combining its sword and shield, rising up like a phoenix, then spiralling around into a galaxy of fire, before unleashing laser beams of kill evil with a swing of its sword, and the laser beams are dragons.

Its easy to see why I got hooked on the genre.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I've always been a fan of a certain fight towards the end of King Gainer. I'm not sure which episode it was, but it was the scene in which Gainer both fights an army and plays his game to reclaim his Game King title. I really enjoyed the perspective switching between the game and the actual fight, though it doesn't hurt that it also cements Gainer as the biggest goon ever.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

GorfZaplen posted:

Your name reminded me that I really like the Big O v Big Duo fight in Big O Season 1

That's the exact fight scene I came here to post!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Myh07ybceU

The sequel to this fight in season 2 was pretty great as well.

Another favorite of mine that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet has to be a scene that took place in Eureka 7 but i'm unable to find a video of it.

There were these two characters Ray and Charles which were both homages* to Max and Miriya from Robotech/Macross and they had a pretty awesome fight somewhere around episode 25 I believe.

Anybody know what i'm talking about?

*Shoji Kawamori(mecha designer) worked on both Eureka 7 and Macross.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I really liked episode 14 of King Gainer, which was mostly taken up by Gainer and Asuham/London EMA fighting Cynthia's Dominator. They finally decided to throw some money in the show and using it for a fight against a ridiculously powerful, rubber robot made for an awesome fight.

I also liked the end of the first Patlabor movie, if only because the fight between outdated Alphonse and the new labor only ended when Noa jumped onto the other labor and blew open the back of its neck with a shotgun.

The opening battle of War in the Pocket is another favorite, and definitely why the Hygogg is one of my favorite mech designs.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Actually that's another good one, Max and Millia's dogfight from Do You Remember Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1MlXmNSL7s

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Artum posted:

Actually that's another good one, Max and Millia's dogfight from Do You Remember Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1MlXmNSL7s

Clearly you meant this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km45Nus0GJE

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Clearly.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ahem. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpPDQsxici0

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I stand corrected.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So are the scanlations for Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Burned pretty much dead? ANWO's last release was chapter 12 in 2010 and the series seems to be ongoing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There was a conversation about best Mecha fight scenes, and GBF wasn't included?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4-txHzY4ew&t=804s

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If he didn't ask specifically for Super robots, I would have cited at least 4 Build Fighters episodes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mostly asked because I was having difficulty thinking about it, and I like to learn more about cinematography - what makes good fight choreography and the like, and how it applies to non-human combatants. Banagher going loco on Frontal in Episode Three of Gundam Unicorn is very impressive, and so are eps 6, 15, and 18 of Gundam Build Fighters. I was mentally ruling out the Evangelion options because they're robot (for a given definition of 'robot') versus monster rather than robot versus robot, but Rebuild Sahaquiel is quite a spectacle.

Already mentioned GBF.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
Hi everyone, I know coming back here isn't going to go that well, and I'll probably won't be back for long considering I'm posting in here again, but since I've been gone, I've done a lot of thinking, and I wanted to at least try to present what I was trying to say before a little better than the way I did so in the past, I do feel really bad for the bad way I worded my arguments and stuff, so I wanted to try and rectify how I felt about things.

So I'm just going to lay out this whole GaoGaiGar v.s. Gurren Lagann(and other modern shows) thing on the table here, hopefully in a better way than I did before, and I hope you all won't be too harsh, and will just take what I have to say or leave it.

I had a very good conversation with someone about the two shows on twitter that I really feel I did a better job than I had in the past debating about these two shows. and now I'd like to extrapolate more on that here, to sort of try this one more time, and see if you guys can better understand how I feel that GaoGaiGar was so special to me, and why, even after watching Gurren Lagann several times, I just find it and other shows (in the same style I guess) too be too problematic to enjoy.

My main problem with Gurren Lagann really stems from how it tries to present a message that promotes manly bravado and the patriarcal ways of the hero group in such a way that any other emotion than "manly fighting spirit" is shown to be a weakness. By that I mean, Kamina was doing all of these things, the hitting, the rock-throwing, the passive-aggressive digs, the "you've got to be a man" patriarcal stuff that was done to get Simon to change, I think, is problematic. It's problematic because it tries to paint a picture that if you ever cry, if you ever have a non-manly emotion, you're weak and you need to embrace manly fighting spirit, because the message of the show is a very kind of toxic Shonen Jump "this is how people should act! Anything less and you're weak!" thing. Which I think really hurts the overall story, because Simon, at least in the beginning, was a very likable, if a bit nervous boy. He only became a toxic patriarchy symbol by way of tragic circumstance and a horrible upbringing. Kamina does get his wish and Simon changes, but...Simon doesn't really change for the better, he simply ceases to be that boy he was before.

And it's not just Simon, either, Rossiu's character derailment stems from the fact that he doesn't present as masculine, and he "thinks/worries too much". The show is very quick to paint him in a negative light, and he has to be corrected by the boy who had came full circle to promote the pro-masculinity philosophy by striking him in a moment of weakness. But that's all Simon does is hit him and give him a manly monologue, Simon doesn't hug him, hold his hand, let him cry on his shoulder, or ever try to show that being "un-manly" is okay or doesn't make you a weaker person.

It gets even worse when you look how the opposite sex is presented in Gurren Lagann, Yoko for example only seems to matter in the plot, as far as being a manly fighter reguardless of her sex, and basically not getting anything to do other than fight and be used for pervy fanservice, and everyone she cares about dies because of blind manly bravado, and Yoko doesn't get a happy moment in her life, and it feels it's just because she's a woman. Nia is arguably even worse than that. She's found in a box, exists pretty much to be a perfect waifu and force a relationship as hard and fast as possible for Simon so he'd hurry up and do an emotional 180 to god of manliness from the nervous but charming boy he was before, so the show can show us how great being stereotypically masculine is. then, she temporarily becomes a villain, but not really a villain, more like a glorified talking head who says cryptic things, summons a flying saucer, then leaves. And despite making it clear she was always like this, Simon succeeds in talking her down, just by mentioning her ring, at which point she transitions to Damsel in Distress who needs to be saved by her hyper masculine boyfriend, only for her to get quickly stuffed in the fridge right at the end.

And this is where GaoGaiGar comes in.

GaoGaiGar was different in that it tried to promote the message that ANYONE can be a hero, men, women, men/boys who have feminine traits, robots, aliens, happy, sad, angry, upset, etc. everyone and everything is treated as valid and important. GaoGaiGar was willing to show, through Guy and Mamoru's relationship, as well as Mamoru's relationships witht he rest of the main cast (3G, Kaidou, his foster parents, Volfogg, etc.) that crying? being sad? not being at your best or acting like the patriarcal norm for men/boys all the time? that's okay. In fact, the message of GaoGaiGar was almost the POLAR OPPOSITE of Gurren Lagann's. Where Gurren Lagann was all about manliness and pushing through everything by pushing aside everythiing you might feel besides anger and determination, GaoGaiGar was about embracing all of your emotions, being true to yourself, and how you feel, even in the darkest of times, does not make you weak, it gives you srtength. Just a different kind of strength.

What I mean by that is, look at Mamoru. He was the main character, and he does change and develop over the course of the story, but never major emotional 180's into manlytown. Where Simon develops a lot like you'd expect from a show trying to push manliness being paramout.... Mamoru doesn't develop like that at all despite GGG having characters that call attack names and act masculine. (mostly Taiga and the SYRG, but even the characters that are more masculine have their moments of nuanced emotion, more on this later.) Mamoru more develops more in the way of personal discovery, and his own path, namely bring a brave hero without having to majorly change himself, and the fact that, even as thing got progressively more and more messed up for him, learning to be responsible with his gifts, thinking he was losing his powers and feeling useless, upset when everyone was assumed dead after the first Primeval attack and got upset when even Guy broke down, losing friends like ChoRyuJin and Kaidou temporarily and Leo permanately, and even trying and failing to convince those trying to restore his homeland that the Earth shouldn't be destroyed, to even indirectly getting one of his allies girlfriends killed indirectly, even with all of that sadness inside of him, it didn't break him as a person, but he didn't use typical manly behavior expected of all young boys in the patriarchy to hide that pain, he embraced how he felt, and that was never shown to be a weakness, but a strength.

And this even extends a great deal to Guy as well! You know how Gurren Lagann fans like to point out that Kamina was supposedly more than his yelling and he had depth, despite us never getting to actually see much of that before he dies? All that does is make GGG look like way better of a show because that statement is way more true of Guy. Guy might have done some yelling and did badass stuff in a robot, but it's even more of an act than it was with Kamina. When you get right down to it, Guy only ever acts that way in combat situations, and even then, there are a lot of points where you can see the facade noticably cracking. Look at any time where he, in his mind, failed. A good example of that was the first Primeval attack. Even with his courage and fighting as best he could, it wasn't enough. and all of his friends aside from Mamoru were presumed to be dead at the time. The very next episode has Mamoru visiting Guy in a medical room, where Guy reflects on what happened in a somber tone, that "What's the point of being the World's Strongest Cyborg if it still isn't enough, that what good is having a steel body if you can't protect your friends, and all it does is keep you alive as the only sole survivor, and all of this, it was for nothing." We actually get to see differing emotions from "manliness" and it's presented as a valid emotion, not weakness. Mamoru just takes his hands and starts getting upset himself, crying softly, pleading him to not say that there wasn't a purpose. It's only then that Guy comes to terms with his sadness, and try to rebuild his facade, if only for the sake of Mamoru own mental wounds, and just say something, anything comforting. We saw a similar thing in FINAL when Mamoru and Mikoto had to help Guy recover the extreme self-doubt due to being mind-controlled by the chemical bolts.

And this wasn't limited to Guy either, GekiRyuJin even showed similar emotions when ChoRyuJin threw himself into the ES Window even with GekiRyuJin begging him not to do it, or the emotion of pretty much everyone when Leo just...died suddenly. Leo's death in particular was meant to convey something very simple. "Space is dangerous, sometimes people just die." Which reminds me of this. Mamoru and Guy felt similar emotions when J and Kaidou went into the Heart Primeval resolved to give their lives as they somberly talk about completing their mission on a white background... Which, compare that to how death is treated in Gurren Lagann, after being "killed" Kamina gets one final moment of Glory to further prove to simon how awesome being manly is, and hit him one more time, and then go out in one last fight, which really feels obvious, easy to see coming, and it's hard to care about it, because his death is treated with the same manly bravado, and not actual gravitas. a similar thing happens with the red-shirt deaths and Kittan's death, that they are all manly glory deaths, and nobody even adknowledges the deaths or really grieves for them.

Where Gurren Lagann was the typical shonen action show with a very manly bravado jump manga message, GaoGaiGar was, in many ways, a very bold experiment they had to make work under toy company limitations, and they do so brilliantly. Just being able to go "you know, sometimes manliness and bravery isn't enough sometimes, and being sad or upset or not masculine is okay!" was, and sorry for the pun, a very brave thing for the writers to do. Even just looking at Mamoru's costume in FINAL, or the overall more positive representations of the women in the cast, really gives the sense that it, unlike other Super Robot shows, didn't want to conform to normal gender roles, even the one really lovely fanservice character they had, Renee, had potential to be so much more than she ended up being for otaku pandering reasons, than someone like Yoko or Nia. At least when Mikoto turned evil, she got to be the last boss, not a messenger.

Hell I'd even go as far as to argue that Mamoru and Hana had a better written relationship than Simon and Nia, because unlike a typical perfect waifu and mansculine superhero boyfriend, it was a case where the male in the relationship was the one who was mysterious, enigmatic and submissive. It also helps that Hana had more regency as a character than Nia did, which......that's saying a lot.

Well, this post is getting huge, so I'll stop. I'm not expecting anything good to come of this, but I wanted to try one more time to construct a better argument. I hope it's at least a little better thought out than what I said last time, and all that I ask is you give this a fair hearing. I feel bad for some of the stuff I said last time, and I wanted a chance to clarify how I felt, thanks for your time.

Clawshrimpy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 17, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Okay, which one of you fuckers opened that eldritch tome while jacking off on a toy robot ?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Hi everyone, I know coming back here isn't going to go that well, and I'll probably won't be back for long considering I'm posting in here again, but since I've been gone, I've done a lot of thinking, and I wanted to at least try to present what I was trying to say before a little better than the way I did so in the past, I do feel really bad for the bad way I worded my arguments and stuff, so I wanted to try and rectify how I felt about things.

So I'm just going to lay out this whole GaoGaiGar v.s. Gurren Lagann(and other modern shows) thing on the table here, hopefully in a better way than I did before, and I hope you all won't be too harsh, and will just take what I have to say or leave it.

I had a very good conversation with someone about the two shows on twitter that I really feel I did a better job than I had in the past debating about these two shows. and now I'd like to extrapolate more on that here, to sort of try this one more time, and see if you guys can better understand how I feel that GaoGaiGar was so special to me, and why, even after watching Gurren Lagann several times, I just find it and other shows (in the same style I guess) too be too problematic to enjoy.

My main problem with Gurren Lagann really stems from how it tries to present a message that promotes manly bravado and the patriarcal ways of the hero group in such a way that any other emotion than "manly fighting spirit" is shown to be a weakness. By that I mean, Kamina was doing all of these things, the hitting, the rock-throwing, the passive-aggressive digs, the "you've got to be a man" patriarcal stuff that was done to get Simon to change, I think, is problematic. It's problematic because it tries to paint a picture that if you ever cry, if you ever have a non-manly emotion, you're weak and you need to embrace manly fighting spirit, because the message of the show is a very kind of toxic Shonen Jump "this is how people should act! Anything less and you're weak!" thing. Which I think really hurts the overall story, because Simon, at least in the beginning, was a very likable, if a bit nervous boy. He only became a toxic patriarchy symbol by way of tragic circumstance and a horrible upbringing. Kamina does get his wish and Simon changes, but...Simon doesn't really change for the better, he simply ceases to be that boy he was before.

And it's not just Simon, either, Rossiu's character derailment stems from the fact that he doesn't present as masculine, and he "thinks/worries too much". The show is very quick to paint him in a negative light, and he has to be corrected by the boy who had came full circle to promote the pro-masculinity philosophy by striking him in a moment of weakness. But that's all Simon does is hit him and give him a manly monologue, Simon doesn't hug him, hold his hand, let him cry on his shoulder, or ever try to show that being "un-manly" is okay or doesn't make you a weaker person.

It gets even worse when you look how the opposite sex is presented in Gurren Lagann, Yoko for example only seems to matter in the plot, as far as being a manly fighter reguardless of her sex, and basically not getting anything to do other than fight and be used for pervy fanservice, and everyone she cares about dies because of blind manly bravado, and Yoko doesn't get a happy moment in her life, and it feels it's just because she's a woman. Nia is arguably even worse than that. She's found in a box, exists pretty much to be a perfect waifu and force a relationship as hard and fast as possible for Simon so he'd hurry up and do an emotional 180 to god of manliness from the nervous but charming boy he was before, so the show can show us how great being stereotypically masculine is. then, she temporarily becomes a villain, but not really a villain, more like a glorified talking head who says cryptic things, summons a flying saucer, then leaves. And despite making it clear she was always like this, Simon succeeds in talking her down, just by mentioning her ring, at which point she transitions to Damsel in Distress who needs to be saved by her hyper masculine boyfriend, only for her to get quickly stuffed in the fridge right at the end.

And this is where GaoGaiGar comes in.

GaoGaiGar was different in that it tried to promote the message that ANYONE can be a hero, men, women, men/boys who have feminine traits, robots, aliens, happy, sad, angry, upset, etc. everyone and everything is treated as valid and important. GaoGaiGar was willing to show, through Guy and Mamoru's relationship, as well as Mamoru's relationships witht he rest of the main cast (3G, Kaidou, his foster parents, Volfogg, etc.) that crying? being sad? not being at your best or acting like the patriarcal norm for men/boys all the time? that's okay. In fact, the message of GaoGaiGar was almost the POLAR OPPOSITE of Gurren Lagann's. Where Gurren Lagann was all about manliness and pushing through everything by pushing aside everythiing you might feel besides anger and determination, GaoGaiGar was about embracing all of your emotions, being true to yourself, and how you feel, even in the darkest of times, does not make you weak, it gives you srtength. Just a different kind of strength.

What I mean by that is, look at Mamoru. He was the main character, and he does change and develop over the course of the story, but never major emotional 180's into manlytown. Where Simon develops a lot like you'd expect from a show trying to push manliness being paramout.... Mamoru doesn't develop like that at all despite GGG having characters that call attack names and act masculine. (mostly Taiga and the SYRG, but even the characters that are more masculine have their moments of nuanced emotion, more on this later.) Mamoru more develops more in the way of personal discovery, and his own path, namely bring a brave hero without having to majorly change himself, and the fact that, even as thing got progressively more and more messed up for him, learning to be responsible with his gifts, thinking he was losing his powers and feeling useless, upset when everyone was assumed dead after the first Primeval attack and got upset when even Guy broke down, losing friends like ChoRyuJin and Kaidou temporarily and Leo permanately, and even trying and failing to convince those trying to restore his homeland that the Earth shouldn't be destroyed, to even indirectly getting one of his allies girlfriends killed indirectly, even with all of that sadness inside of him, it didn't break him as a person, but he didn't use typical manly behavior expected of all young boys in the patriarchy to hide that pain, he embraced how he felt, and that was never shown to be a weakness, but a strength.

And this even extends a great deal to Guy as well! You know how Gurren Lagann fans like to point out that Kamina was supposedly more than his yelling and he had depth, despite us never getting to actually see much of that before he dies? All that does is make GGG look like way better of a show because that statement is way more true of Guy. Guy might have done some yelling and did badass stuff in a robot, but it's even more of an act than it was with Kamina. When you get right down to it, Guy only ever acts that way in combat situations, and even then, there are a lot of points where you can see the facade noticably cracking. Look at any time where he, in his mind, failed. A good example of that was the first Primeval attack. Even with his courage and fighting as best he could, it wasn't enough. and all of his friends aside from Mamoru were presumed to be dead at the time. The very next episode has Mamoru visiting Guy in a medical room, where Guy reflects on what happened in a somber tone, that "What's the point of being the World's Strongest Cyborg if it still isn't enough, that what good is having a steel body if you can't protect your friends, and all it does is keep you alive as the only sole survivor, and all of this, it was for nothing." We actually get to see differing emotions from "manliness" and it's presented as a valid emotion, not weakness. Mamoru just takes his hands and starts getting upset himself, crying softly, pleading him to not say that there wasn't a purpose. It's only then that Guy comes to terms with his sadness, and try to rebuild his facade, if only for the sake of Mamoru own mental wounds, and just say something, anything comforting. We saw a similar thing in FINAL when Mamoru and Mikoto had to help Guy recover the extreme self-doubt due to being mind-controlled by the chemical bolts.

And this wasn't limited to Guy either, GekiRyuJin even showed similar emotions when ChoRyuJin threw himself into the ES Window even with GekiRyuJin begging him not to do it, or the emotion of pretty much everyone when Leo just...died suddenly. Leo's death in particular was meant to convey something very simple. "Space is dangerous, sometimes people just die." Which reminds me of this. Mamoru and Guy felt similar emotions when J and Kaidou went into the Heart Primeval resolved to give their lives as they somberly talk about completing their mission on a white background... Which, compare that to how death is treated in Gurren Lagann, after being "killed" Kamina gets one final moment of Glory to further prove to simon how awesome being manly is, and hit him one more time, and then go out in one last fight, which really feels obvious, easy to see coming, and it's hard to care about it, because his death is treated with the same manly bravado, and not actual gravitas. a similar thing happens with the red-shirt deaths and Kittan's death, that they are all manly glory deaths, and nobody even adknowledges the deaths or really grieves for them.

Where Gurren Lagann was the typical shonen action show with a very manly bravado jump manga message, GaoGaiGar was, in many ways, a very bold experiment they had to make work under toy company limitations, and they do so brilliantly. Just being able to go "you know, sometimes manliness and bravery isn't enough sometimes, and being sad or upset or not masculine is okay!" was, and sorry for the pun, a very brave thing for the writers to do. Even just looking at Mamoru's costume in FINAL, or the overall more positive representations of the women in the cast, really gives the sense that it, unlike other Super Robot shows, didn't want to conform to normal gender roles, even the one really lovely fanservice character they had, Renee, had potential to be so much more than she ended up being for otaku pandering reasons, than someone like Yoko or Nia. At least when Mikoto turned evil, she got to be the last boss, not a messenger.

Hell I'd even go as far as to argue that Mamoru and Hana had a better written relationship than Simon and Nia, because unlike a typical perfect waifu and mansculine superhero boyfriend, it was a case where the male in the relationship was the one who was mysterious, enigmatic and submissive. It also helps that Hana had more regency as a character than Nia did, which......that's saying a lot.

Well, this post is getting huge, so I'll stop. I'm not expecting anything good to come of this, but I wanted to try one more time to construct a better argument. I hope it's at least a little better thought out than what I said last time, and all that I ask is you give this a fair hearing. I feel bad for some of the stuff I said last time, and I wanted a chance to clarify how I felt, thanks for your time.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
welp

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Clawshrimpy posted:

Hi everyone, I know coming back here isn't going to go that well

:agreed:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I remember you from way back in the day from PA and dang, that sure is some 7+ year tirade against Gurren Lagann there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In a way it's refreshing to know that no matter how much my life changes, there are some things that will be a universal constant.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm actually really glad Clawshrimpy is back, and hope he becomes a valued poster in this new ADTRW.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm actually really glad Clawshrimpy is back, and hope he becomes a valued poster in this new ADTRW.

I doubt it. I know me making that post was a huge risk, no matter how much I try to word myself better, shown how I've been trying to improve on myself after being exiled pretty much to social media, but, in the end, I guess maybe I haven't changed or improved enough.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Don't navelgaze. Strut like the internet-wide animu robot forum terror you are. Wear it with pride. SWAGGER, goddamit.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't see why anybody would mind your posting if you toned the GGG stuff down but the first thing you did after your self-imposed exile was drop another essay on the show so...idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

• Locked thread