Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

dogsicle posted:

I don't see why anybody would mind your posting if you toned the GGG stuff down but the first thing you did after your self-imposed exile was drop another essay on the show so...idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm actually really glad Clawshrimpy is back, and hope he becomes a valued poster in this new ADTRW.

Well he didn't once try to argue that Kamina is abusive to Simon so he's improved a little.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

I doubt it. I know me making that post was a huge risk, no matter how much I try to word myself better, shown how I've been trying to improve on myself after being exiled pretty much to social media, but, in the end, I guess maybe I haven't changed or improved enough.

The problem is not the quality of your arguments. The problem is that you're announcing your return to the forums by picking up an argument you left off two years ago. If I didn't already know it was an exercise in futility, I'd advise you to get help - instead, I'll just advise anyone unfamiliar with this guy not to engage, as it will not end well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

I doubt it. I know me making that post was a huge risk, no matter how much I try to word myself better, shown how I've been trying to improve on myself after being exiled pretty much to social media, but, in the end, I guess maybe I haven't changed or improved enough.

If you genuinely want to improve I suggest trying to branch out of your comfort zone and talk about something besides how much you love GGG/hate TTGL.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

dogsicle posted:

I don't see why anybody would mind your posting if you toned the GGG stuff down but the first thing you did after your self-imposed exile was drop another essay on the show so...idk.

True, I suppose, but it's rare that there are newer robot shows I find enjoyable to talk about. they're either done in the same problematic style as GL, or they're those real robot war stories I really don't like.

And really, Build Fighters Try only held my interest because of Sunrise adknowleding GaoGaiGar's existance.

I'm also one of the few people on the planet who actually enjoyed the 00 movie for doing something different than a humans vs humans race war. Even if the ELS didn't have the same depth as the Zonders did.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Clawshrimpy posted:

True, I suppose, but it's rare that there are newer robot shows I find enjoyable to talk about.

Maybe just find stuff to talk about other than robot shows? There's a lot more threads on SA than this one.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

ActionZero posted:

Maybe just find stuff to talk about other than robot shows?

Boy, you're in for a treat.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

If you genuinely want to improve I suggest trying to branch out of your comfort zone and talk about something besides how much you love GGG/hate TTGL.

I mean, I can talk about the last robot show that's modern that I really enjoyed, Heroman?

But the most I can say about Heroman is that it's a very...... average show? It does have some legitimately great character moments that remind me of GGG, but it also has some bad things that give me terror flashbacks to GL.

Heroman is also a show I felt like would've really benefitted with more character development for some of the cast, and maybe punch of the development of the villain a little. Kogorr was by no means a poor villain, he's certainly leagues better than the Anti-Spiral, but he still falls flat in the end.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

I mean, I can talk about the last robot show that's modern that I really enjoyed, Heroman?

But the most I can say about Heroman is that it's a very...... average show? It does have some legitimately great character moments that remind me of GGG, but it also has some bad things that give me terror flashbacks to GL.

Heroman is also a show I felt like would've really benefitted with more character development for some of the cast, and maybe punch of the development of the villain a little. Kogorr was by no means a poor villain, he's certainly leagues better than the Anti-Spiral, but he still falls flat in the end.

Srice posted:

You're so close, just talk while at no point referencing either of those shows.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Look, I can tell that you're not a bad guy and that you're trying, but this is kind of what we mean. Can you talk about something without mentioning how it relates to your feelings about GGG or TTGL? The entire mecha genre doesn't revolve around those shows.

Edit: Do you have some way to talk more privately? I wouldn't mind discussing GGG/TTGL with you, but I don't want to bog down this thread.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 17, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have no idea who Clawshrimpy is...

Wowow

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heroman was an alright show I only watched a few episodes of back when it aired. Looked like a fairly run of the mill Bones show of the time in that the writing seemed pretty ehhh, though it did have slick animation.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Were you really not in this thread last time beef?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I have no idea who Clawshrimpy is...

Wowow

Click the little question mark under his name. It's a hell of a trip.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I'm not even in this thread either. I'm here because I got a report saying I should probate Clawshrimpy and I can't probate this dude who I don't know. I mean... that's a huge rear end fuckin post with a lot of words about GGG and GL, but that's not really probate worthy and I like both of those shows so...

I dunno.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm really disappointed that Sunrise KyoAni Toei is retreading the Clawshrimpy plot again this year.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Beef Waifu posted:

Man, I'm not even in this thread either. I'm here because I got a report saying I should probate Clawshrimpy and I can't probate this dude who I don't know. I mean... that's a huge rear end fuckin post with a lot of words about GGG and GL, but that's not really probate worthy and I like both of those shows so...

I dunno.

He pretty much only ever posts permutations of that wall of text everywhere he goes and nothing good ever comes of it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I dunno.

See his post history in this thread for more details. Basically, the guy has major brain problems that are better suited to E/N than a thread on robot anime, refuses to seek treatment for them, and contrubutes nothing but wall-of-text threadshitting until he's eventually driven off.

There's a reason a number of forums have him as ban-on-sight.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

I dunno.

If you were to probate for that you'd probably have to go ham on the Madoka thread, and probably other threads.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Not liking Giant Robo and Shin Mazinger should be a bannable offense, imo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

If you were to probate for that you'd probably have to go ham on the Madoka thread, and probably other threads.

I'd have to pretty much probate most of the posters from the KLK thread, which I'd have loved to , but I'm pretty sure Ralp and Xylo would be a bit miffed from me probating 50 posters from some lovely thread that ended a year ago.

Darth Walrus posted:

See his post history in this thread for more details. Basically, the guy has major brain problems that are better suited to E/N than a thread on robot anime, refuses to seek treatment for them, and contrubutes nothing but wall-of-text threadshitting until he's eventually driven off.

There's a reason a number of forums have him as ban-on-sight.

Clawshrimpy posted:

Why, who would want to watch horror stories they could just as easily get by watching the news lately.

If you wanna watch people be racists and evil assholes, just watch politics or news.

Jesus christ... ugh, I'm gonna give him a chance like anyone else who posts here. There's no reason to probate this dude for lovely posts he made two years ago, but if it gets egregious then I'll handle it.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Droyer posted:

Look, I can tell that you're not a bad guy and that you're trying, but this is kind of what we mean. Can you talk about something without mentioning how it relates to your feelings about GGG or TTGL? The entire mecha genre doesn't revolve around those shows.

Edit: Do you have some way to talk more privately? I wouldn't mind discussing GGG/TTGL with you, but I don't want to bog down this thread.

To be honest, I'd like that. I didn't mean to make a mess, I just felt bad for the argument before, and wanted to try to present my argument in a better way than I did before. it's a topic I'm just, very passionate about. Especially since I live with a brother who won't shut up about GL, and yells at me if I try to watch GGG in the living room.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Beef Waifu posted:

I dunno.

Whoever reported him probably did so because clawshrimpy has a reputation all over the internet for Gaogaigar related posting so they're a bit twitchy. His post history in this thread is a microcosm of how he posts everywhere.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I really should finally sit down and watch GR. Recently finished G Gundam and basically everything about it gave me the warm and fuzzies.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Clawshrimpy posted:

To be honest, I'd like that. I didn't mean to make a mess, I just felt bad for the argument before, and wanted to try to present my argument in a better way than I did before. it's a topic I'm just, very passionate about. Especially since I live with a brother who won't shut up about GL, and yells at me if I try to watch GGG in the living room.

Try making a post without the letter G in it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

I really should finally sit down and watch GR. Recently finished G Gundam and basically everything about it gave me the warm and fuzzies.

Giant Robo is way better in basically every way possible, and if you dig Imagawa's style it's the most Imagawa thing out there in every possible aspect.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My extent of Mecha shows is basically GGG, GL, and now I have some Gundam knowledge due to finally sitting down and starting the series last year. Unfortunately, I've hit a lull in Double Zeta because it was the first subbed one and I just can't sit down and watch a 50 episodes subbed anime like I used to be able to in high school. I've been meaning to watch some Getter Robo and Mazinkaiser, but never got around to it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

This is just pissing in the wind but this does get to the point rather neatly. Nobody sees your point of view on those shows because youve clearly got enormous emotional baggage that informs most of your argument.

Artum fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 17, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Well, if you have skype I'm droyer22 there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

My extent of Mecha shows is basically GGG, GL, and now I have some Gundam knowledge due to finally sitting down and starting the series last year. Unfortunately, I've hit a lull in Double Zeta because it was the first subbed one and I just can't sit down and watch a 50 episodes subbed anime like I used to be able to in high school. I've been meaning to watch some Getter Robo and Mazinkaiser, but never got around to it.

Far as dubbed options go New Getter Robo's your best bet out of the Getter Robo stuff out there. I like the dub a lot, and the only thing I miss is how the Japanese VAs yell out the attack names. But that's my only real complaint about it so it's not even a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't need exclusively dubbed stuff. If a show catches me enough, I can burn through episodes like no one's business. I actually did that with the most recent Yugioh show, I think Double Zeta just sort of has that issue where like I think it's funny and enjoyable but not super amazing enough to invest my full attention in. I'll totally try to watch some of the stuff in the OP at some point, because I've always thought Getter Robo looked cool, it's just gonna be a bit. Should I watch the original series or is it pretty aged?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The dub for mazinkaiser is an interesting beast, because it [i]would[\i] be a perfect dub if the voice actors didn't get the emphasis wrong on literally every proper noun and attack name.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I remember once you said you were gonna try to be reasonable about other shows, Shrimpy, and it didn't take, so I hope it does this time.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Read the Getter manga and nothing will ever be the same.

edit: Japanese Getter voice acting is a big part of the enjoyment for the shows I think. OPEN GETTT!!! CHANGE GETTA WAAAN!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_3g8qYX2SM

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 17, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't need exclusively dubbed stuff. If a show catches me enough, I can burn through episodes like no one's business. I actually did that with the most recent Yugioh show, I think Double Zeta just sort of has that issue where like I think it's funny and enjoyable but not super amazing enough to invest my full attention in. I'll totally try to watch some of the stuff in the OP at some point, because I've always thought Getter Robo looked cool, it's just gonna be a bit. Should I watch the original series or is it pretty aged?

Watch the recent OVAs and read the manga. The 70s TV show hasn't aged well and I'm not sure there's even a decent English translation to be found.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

The original has aged poorly, I feel like the best way to get into it is either through New Getter Robo or Shin Getter Robo vs Neo Getter Robo, and save Armageddon for last.

Though since you liked both TTGL and GGG the latter could be a good approach since it sorta has a similar tone to those shows. And it's only 4 episodes so you can burn through it pretty quickly. It's kinda like watching a longass monster of the week series get hella compressed, and that's pretty fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beef Waifu posted:

Hurry up and get around to Turn A Gundam because it's one of the best animes ever, mecha or not

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Captain Invictus posted:

Hurry up and get around to Turn A Gundam because it's one of the best animes ever, mecha or not

Skip all the other Gundams. You really don't need to get that this robot was in this other robot show and it's a ~*reference*~ to really appreciate Turn A.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want to watch the other Gundams though is the thing.

Captain Invictus posted:

Make me, bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beef Waifu posted:

Make me, bitch.

• Locked thread