Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
77% done. Man, poo poo gets real in the Forlorn Ruins. It took me a few deaths to figure out exactly how to manipulate the platforms there since it's not really explained at all.

I also appreciate how Kuro was just protecting her children and she actually had a motive for her actions instead of just Darkness = Bad Guy.

Am I correct in assuming you can't go back into the ruins after the path is blocked by a boulder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like this game and all, but what engine is it running on? I ask because it has a tendency to lock the focus on my laptop whenever I alt-tab, and I can't seem to force exit it from the task bar, forcing me to hard restart my laptop whenever it happens. Slightly annoying.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Jesus Christ, the opening. It's like the writers said "how can we beat Up in time-to-kill-your-soul? Oh, I know, let's play Grave of the Fireflies in fast forward."

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Broken Cog posted:

I like this game and all, but what engine is it running on? I ask because it has a tendency to lock the focus on my laptop whenever I alt-tab, and I can't seem to force exit it from the task bar, forcing me to hard restart my laptop whenever it happens. Slightly annoying.

Credits say "Powered by Unity" so I'm guessing either Unity 2 or 3.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
This is definitely on my wishlist and I'll probably pick it up next month. (My games budget is all for Bloodborne at the moment).

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Syndlig posted:

Credits say "Powered by Unity" so I'm guessing either Unity 2 or 3.

It's a custom build of unity 5. Although the game itself was mostly made in the unity 4 editor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jesus Christ, why does this game autosave? I just got flushed out of the tree and I don't have swim or stomp.

edit oh gently caress me, thank you vvv

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 14, 2015

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
You can swim! I got confused by the skill tree on this too, but ori can swim by default. Just before that point there is no clean water.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god he takes cute little breaths

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Even on the bone this game is crazy pretty.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jfc I've died like 30 times on this stupid loving escape from the rising water poo poo

breed to death
Aug 16, 2013

Charles Martel posted:

Am I correct in assuming you can't go back into the ruins after the path is blocked by a boulder?

It seems that way, which SUCKS. I'm at 86% completion for that area.

Anyone else have input on this?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

jfc I've died like 30 times on this stupid loving escape from the rising water poo poo

If it weren't for all those skill orbs being a pain in the rear end to both get and survive getting, I'd have done it in a few tries. But I tried to get every single one, and it took forever.

The Forlorn Ruins gravity mechanic is something that seems like it should be super clunky, especially the blocks that let you change your gravity orientation, but it's not. It's super polished like everything else in this game. The way it works story-wise is super weird to reconcile in my head though, even if I think of it as science-magic

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 14, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Hey, is there a way to get back in the area the second dungeon kicks you out too? A boulder locked me out of it and I don't have 100% there yet.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Experiencing something that may or may not be a bug. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious because otherwise I'm out three hours.

Just finished the Ginsu tree, cleared out the area with the water and got stomp. I begin heading west on the map and go into the chamber with the map stone above where I am, and it plays a cutscene with the Owl. After the cutscene, I'm in the chamber down below (where I am now). I saved right away not realizing anything was up and not wanting to re watch a cutscene, and now I can't seem to get out.

Help?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Was I wrong that I thought I heard devs posting in this thread?

Gumon is the poo poo! Got any images or art you can share? I want a steam avatar, etc...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Experiencing something that may or may not be a bug. I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious because otherwise I'm out three hours.

Just finished the Ginsu tree, cleared out the area with the water and got stomp. I begin heading west on the map and go into the chamber with the map stone above where I am, and it plays a cutscene with the Owl. After the cutscene, I'm in the chamber down below (where I am now). I saved right away not realizing anything was up and not wanting to re watch a cutscene, and now I can't seem to get out.

Help?

Something similar happened to me once before, but thankfully it didn't screw me like that.

I was down in the caves where Gumo dumps you, and on the way back up you have to do that one ridiculous Super Meat Boy -esque platforming challenge in order to open a shortcut. I saved after getting back up, quit the game, reloaded the next day, went back down to find something, and realized the shortcut was closed again. I think there's something off about how they save progress that causes things like that to revert for some reason.

Having now finished the Forlorn Ruins, I can decisively say that it's my least favorite part of the game.

The gravity mechanic, as I mentioned before, is weird and I can't parse it in my head. I think they could have done more to justify how it works with the visuals. Secondly, Gumo's part in the narrative of this section didn't make sense to me. He wanted to help Ori upon realizing what happened to his species, so he took that orb and caused the whole place to break down and nearly kill Ori?

My least favorite part of the Ruins was the escape sequence. The icicles were unfair because if I was right in the path of one, I couldn't move fast enough to dodge, I couldn't figure out how to open the first "door" because in all the visual chaos I didn't realize the spitter's spit was destroying it, and the falling rocks were even more unfair than the icicles because there was no clear indication of how you were supposed to dodge them, or what triggered them in the first place. That whole sequence seemed like a goddamn mess to me, which is strange given how polished and well designed nearly everything else is.

Also, I'm rather confused by Kuro's backstory. Why would the light kill his hatchlings? Isn't the light supposed to heal, or at least be neutral? There's been no indication that it hurts anyone before that. Does this get explained later?

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
Gumo's motivation in the Ruins will make sense shortly. As for Kuro they never really explain why the light from the tree is so damaging to her babies, but my guess would be that they owls are sort of naturally dark, in like an elemental way. Kind of makes sense in a fairytale/myth context.

As for the poster stuck in the cave, yeah unfortunately I think there's no legit way out if where you are. I you look at the steam discussion forum for the game there is a topic where someone has helpfully made a little utility to enable debug mode on a save so you can unstick yourself. I'd link it, but I'm phone posting right now.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Gibbo posted:

Help?

Wow that sucks. Sorry this happened to you, a patch is coming to prevent issues like this in the future though. This is the PC version, right? Can you upload your save file somewhere and send me a PM with a link to it? I'll make sure our coders see it. I can probably debug you out of there too.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Perpetual posted:

Gumo's motivation in the Ruins will make sense shortly. As for Kuro they never really explain why the light from the tree is so damaging to her babies, but my guess would be that they owls are sort of naturally dark, in like an elemental way. Kind of makes sense in a fairytale/myth context.
Yeah this is pretty much how it works. Kuro isn't just some ordinary owl, she's more like a pissed off demi-god, with a natural connection to darkness / the night, although it's never directly stated like that in-game. Of course, that doesn't mean she's evil. Just very, very angry. And maybe a bit dimwitted, since she built her nest so close to the spirit tree.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You really should add joystick0 button binds to the configuration accessed with Shift.

You can set joystick0's axes, but not their buttons. So the whole thing is useless for the first joystick.

Not sure if I can edit registry keys to hack around that, but I plan to try.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Anyone casually browsing this thread who isn't sold - this lives up to the hype. Outstanding game, one of my favorite platformers in years.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Currently stuck on one of the sequences of what I assume to be the final boss: In Mount Horu getting chased by the giant owl, after I dive into the water and cross over to the other side of the cave, I'm not sure what combination of skills to use to get across the next area, there are flaming boulders falling but I can't seem to boost off of them, and the super jump doesn't take me high enough.

Tips?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I went ahead and finished it last night. My thoughts:

A few parts threw me for a loop where I almost got stuck, but it hasn't changed my opinion of the game: It's a magnificent 5 out of 5 stars and was well worth the $20. Definitely in my all-time favorites list. A couple of minor annoyances though (spoiler-ed just in case):

• I didn't get the achievement for exploring the whole map because I only got to explore 98% of the Forlorn Ruins when I explored 100% of every other area. Blah.
  • Not being able to go back into your profile to find more secrets kinda sucks, but I guess that adds to the replay value.
  • Is there a map stone fragment in the portion of the Misty Woods were you appear lost? If not, I have no idea where I could have missed one.
  • I also missed an Energy container somewhere. I have no idea where I would even start to look for that.
  • Traversing through the Forlorn Ruins could have been explained a little bit better (the first place I almost got stuck). It's not entirely clear that you can walk all around a cube and then jump off of a side of it to make that perspective of the screen the "floor".
  • Unlocking a couple of the levels in Mt. Horu were a little too obtuse (second place I almost got stuck). There's one room with 2 walls with a purple orb/symbol in them, and to unlock the top-most one, you have to destroy all of the fire rock thingys by reflecting their attack back at them with Bash. The game doesn't hint toward this at all and if I didn't try that as a last-ditch effort to try and advance past that room, I'd still be there scratching my head.
  • The ending was awesome and leaves a CLEAR path for a sequel (maybe the egg gives way to a new pissed off demi-god owl and an Ori from a new generation has to restore the land once again? Or the baby owl grows up with Ori and they have to team up to face a greater evil?) I want a sequel! I WILL PAY $60 FOR A SEQUEL MOON STUDIOS DO YOU HEAR ME?!?
  • I'm a crazy completionist and even I'm not even trying to get the Immortal achievement. To hell with that. Can you imagine getting all the way to the end where you have to evade Kuro the second time and you make one small mistake and die? No way. Beating the game in less than 3 hours and without using any Ability Points is more than challenging enough.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Perpetual posted:

As for the poster stuck in the cave, yeah unfortunately I think there's no legit way out if where you are. I you look at the steam discussion forum for the game there is a topic where someone has helpfully made a little utility to enable debug mode on a save so you can unstick yourself. I'd link it, but I'm phone posting right now.

I just saw the cuscene explaining what Gumo was doing. :unsmith:

As for Kuro, I think this is one of those times in the age-old show vs. tell debate where telling is a better option to showing, despite being exposition. The game wanted us to infer that Kuro's kind are hurt by the light, but since that runs contradictory to the fact that the light is representative of the life of the forest. But that would have been fine if put in the context of the traditional good vs. evil conflict, but then we Kuro's humanizing backstory which rules that out and leaves us in an awkward spot. If instead it had simply told us that Kuro's kind were hurt by the light then we as the player would be able to take that for granted as a narrative basis.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Fano posted:

Currently stuck on one of the sequences of what I assume to be the final boss: In Mount Horu getting chased by the giant owl, after I dive into the water and cross over to the other side of the cave, I'm not sure what combination of skills to use to get across the next area, there are flaming boulders falling but I can't seem to boost off of them, and the super jump doesn't take me high enough.

Tips?

Try bashing the smaller rocks at the top. The bottom part of that shaft has wind, so you can glide there as well.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Out of wonder, is the language the tree speaks real, a conlang, a pseudo-language (like how the language in Ico is deformed Japanese), or just gibberish that sounds good like in Zelda?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Beat this today, clocked in just over 7 hours of playtime. loving great. Thanks EvilMike & Co., I know it's only March but this will be a serious GOTY contender for me.

Only one thing I didn't like so much: the timed escapes. I don't love time pressure under the best of circumstances, and I didn't like that I had to do the whole thing over if I hosed up anywhere in the sequence.

I was also a bit surprised by the abrupt ending. Thought there would at least be some final sequence after the escape from Mt. Horu.

Anyway, can't say enough good things about this. Great game.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Charles Martel posted:

Not being able to go back into your profile to find more secrets kinda sucks, but I guess that adds to the replay value.

Ehh, I disagree. There's plenty if replay value in the no abilities/no death/speed run achievements for people who are in to that kind of thing. I would have gone back and gotten the few things that I missed after finishing, but if it's going to be a full play through I'll probably just forget it.

Nonetheless, great game. More fun than anything that I've played in quite a while.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

EvilMike posted:

Try bashing the smaller rocks at the top. The bottom part of that shaft has wind, so you can glide there as well.

Ah, I did not realize I could glide up from the bottom, I just beat it, what an amazing game.

MCXD
Nov 12, 2008

Jsor posted:

Out of wonder, is the language the tree speaks real, a conlang, a pseudo-language (like how the language in Ico is deformed Japanese), or just gibberish that sounds good like in Zelda?

The various responses to this question in a reddit AMA that the devs did answer your question.

MCXD fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 16, 2015

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist
I absolutely love this game and think it's beautiful on so many levels in terms of graphics, animation, and music. Just one thing though:

Not a chance. It's achievements like this that make me glad I don't bother with them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe you've get lucky and Steam will bug out giving you a bunch of cheevos you haven't earned like it did me. :v:

MercuryDragon
Dec 10, 2011

Master Arsonist

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe you've get lucky and Steam will bug out giving you a bunch of cheevos you haven't earned like it did me. :v:

That's probably the only way I'll ever get it.

I think I've racked up about 230 deaths by now. So glad the game actually tracks it for you...

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, this game is ridiculously good, and I feel like it is being under-appreciated. Not a lot of talk about it on these forums, and none of my friends seem interested. It is one of the best platformers I've played in a long time, and is so polished and tight you feel like you are playing a piece of art.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Beat it tonight and would have had 100% except the fact that you get locked out of Forlorn Ruins. Shame about that...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Beat the escape sequence in the Ginso Tree last night. It wasn't so bad, really. It took a few tries but I guess Super Meat Boy has desensitized me to repeating tricky platforming sections as long as there's no lag time between tries. I looooove the springboard/charge ability. It's such a cool way to handle the traditional triple jump/shine spark and makes traversing the world a ton of fun.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, this game is ridiculously good, and I feel like it is being under-appreciated. Not a lot of talk about it on these forums, and none of my friends seem interested. It is one of the best platformers I've played in a long time, and is so polished and tight you feel like you are playing a piece of art.

Agreed. It's a real bummer that it's getting so little exposure as it really is one of the better metroidvanias I've played in a long time. I hear it clocks in at around 7 hours which is kind of a letdown, if only because I want it to be longer.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Filthy Monkey posted:

Everyone is too busy with Cities Skylines.

Which is a shame since Ori is now my favorite metroidvania since Super Metroid.

Also I don't know why but the animation reminded me strongly of Heart of Darkness because they are so polished.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

PantsBandit posted:

Agreed. It's a real bummer that it's getting so little exposure as it really is one of the better metroidvanias I've played in a long time. I hear it clocks in at around 7 hours which is kind of a letdown, if only because I want it to be longer.

Super Metroid is only about 7 hours too. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Smoremaster posted:

Super Metroid is only about 7 hours too. :colbert:

it's 7 hours if you suck and are terrible at videogames.

• Locked thread