Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anyone else with STEAM reach chapter 11? I can't quite figure out what it wants me to do and I'm loving terrible at missions like this. It's the one where the abomination is trying to reach a goal and you have to slow it down for 10 turns. My unit on the right side has like 20 grenadiers fall on him while my other units are running around doing a whole lot of nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone else actually understand resolution between DS mode and 3DS mode? Basically, Shantae is on the eShop, the 3DS Virtual Console. However, it can be played in DS Mode as well and I'm wondering what the differences, in visual quality, would be.

Those are different games. Shantae for GBC is a 3DS game via the VC. Shantae: RIsky's Revenge is a DSiWare game that runs in DS mode. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is a 3DS eShop game that runs in 3DS mode.

There's a 3DS VERSION of Risky's Revenge coming out soon, to make things more confusing for weird people who can't read.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

DoctorWhat posted:

Those are different games. Shantae for GBC is a 3DS game via the VC. Shantae: RIsky's Revenge is a DSiWare game that runs in DS mode. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is a 3DS eShop game that runs in 3DS mode.

There's a 3DS VERSION of Risky's Revenge coming out soon, to make things more confusing for weird people who can't read.

No no, I know that. I have a DSTWO and can play Shantae in DS Mode.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

noirstronaut posted:

No no, I know that. I have a DSTWO and can play Shantae in DS Mode.

Which one?

If GBC one, playing at native resolution makes for an incredibly tiny screen, even on an XL, so don't do that and just play it blown up, it's slightly blurred by you can't tell.

If DSi one, you can play on either resolution just fine, the full screen is again, a little blurry, but it's barely noticeable and the game's so colourful that you'll only see it if you're looking for it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Which one?

If GBC one, playing at native resolution makes for an incredibly tiny screen, even on an XL, so don't do that and just play it blown up, it's slightly blurred by you can't tell.

If DSi one, you can play on either resolution just fine, the full screen is again, a little blurry, but it's barely noticeable and the game's so colourful that you'll only see it if you're looking for it.

The GBC one. Basically, I was wondering if playing in DS mode, blown up, would look visibly worse than playing the 3DS VC one in 3DS mode, blown up.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

noirstronaut posted:

The GBC one. Basically, I was wondering if playing in DS mode, blown up, would look visibly worse than playing the 3DS VC one in 3DS mode, blown up.

Please buy games.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

noirstronaut posted:

elf help book posted:

Please buy games.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

elf help book posted:

Please buy games.

I plan on buying the game later today (along with Pirate's Curse) but I'm curious if anyone would know the difference in the two.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'd say the opposite. The 3DS seems to upscale really badly so I prefer things to be smaller but sharper. After all I played those games on an actual Gameboy back in the day with an actual screen that small and it was fine then, so why not now? The only thing you have to get used to are the black bars which as far as I'm concerned is just the widescreen movies on a 4:3 TV argument all over again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does the N/3DS use more battery power when the 3D is on? It very much seems that way. I can solve Daily Puzzles for like 4 hours on Layton with the 3D off and still have half a charge, or I can turn the 3D on just a little bit for the main story of the same game and 2 hours will take half my bars. Buh?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

precision posted:

Does the N/3DS use more battery power when the 3D is on? It very much seems that way. I can solve Daily Puzzles for like 4 hours on Layton with the 3D off and still have half a charge, or I can turn the 3D on just a little bit for the main story of the same game and 2 hours will take half my bars. Buh?

Yes, the system uses more power when 3D is on.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes, the system uses more power when 3D is on.

Also, keep in mind there is now power throttle to the 3D switch; whether it's on weak or strong, it'll drain the same since the system renders the image twice regardless of 3D angle.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

As an addendum, eye-tracking doesn't seem to put much (if any) additional strain on the battery.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Can anyone with those decalgirl skin thingies chime in if it affects using the nintendo dock? Like will it still fit ok?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bonobos posted:

Can anyone with those decalgirl skin thingies chime in if it affects using the nintendo dock? Like will it still fit ok?

I don't have one, but from the looks of it the decals aren't that thick and the 3DS sits pretty loose in the dock anyway. There shouldn't be a problem.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
After having my Nintendo DS stolen in late 2009 ( :smith: ) I finally got back into Nintendo handhelds with a New 3DSXL :unsmith: I picked up two games to start: Theatrhythm Curtain Call, and Link Between Worlds.

Were there any major DS games I missed in 2010 and beyond that are worth picking up? I might snag a flash cart for the DS, since that won't ban my console.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

seiferguy posted:

Were there any major DS games I missed in 2010 and beyond that are worth picking up? I might snag a flash cart for the DS, since that won't ban my console.
A quick, cursory wikipedia search tells me these games came out in 2010 or later and I'd say are absolutely worth picking up:

Ghost Trick: Great, great puzzle/visual novel/adventure game by the guy who wrote the Ace Attorney series.

Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Speaking of which. This actually just got a translation patch so it's kind of a different animal, but it still owns and is one of the best titles in the franchise. I guess kind of useless if you haven't played the previous games yet though.

Radiant Historia: Really unique and somewhat cleverly designed time-travel JRPG by Atlus.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 17, 2015

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I for one think that press release is loving amazing.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Radiant Historia: Really unique and somewhat cleverly designed time-travel JRPG by Atlus.

Wow wow wow hold up. An Atlus JRPG that I have never heard? This is like Christmas

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I really liked this one. It feels like the spiritual sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Apply nail polish remover directly to the superglue and it will dissolve and loosen the bond.

:eng101:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

Apply nail polish remover directly to the superglue and it will dissolve and loosen the bond.

Do people think this actually will work? I have a half-melted Comcast remote that disagrees with you.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Anyone have the quote where Iwata said something about how they plan on doing freemium for the NX/DeNA deal?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Depends on the sort of plastic they use, if it'll melt or not.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nate RFB posted:

Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Speaking of which. This actually just got a translation patch so it's kind of a different animal, but it still owns and is one of the best titles in the franchise. I guess kind of useless if you haven't played the previous games yet though.

This is Miles Edgeworth 2, right? No official US release?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nolgthorn posted:

Right, but this is loctite, a cryoactelane solution that resists nail polish remover.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Anyone have the quote where Iwata said something about how they plan on doing freemium for the NX/DeNA deal?

Forbes doesn't mention anything in their article.

I thought this was interesting:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-17-nintendo-nx-is-new-hardware-with-a-brand-new-concept

Iwata posted:

Nintendo, together with DeNA, will jointly develop a new membership service which encompasses the existing Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, the new hardware system with a brand-new concept, NX, and smart devices and PCs, and Nintendo will be the primary party to operate this new membership service.
Unlike the Club Nintendo membership service that Nintendo has been operating, the new membership service will include multiple devices and create a connection between Nintendo and each individual consumer regardless of the device the consumer uses. This membership will form one of the core elements of the new Nintendo platform that I just mentioned.

The way he words it, the system sounds like it's the Club Nintendo replacement.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Waltzing Along posted:

This is Miles Edgeworth 2, right? No official US release?

That's right. There's a fan translation though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really want to like the Ace Attorney games but I feel like I always do everything wrong. :smith: Its bad enough I'd probably have to just play the game with Gamefaqs open; may as well just watch a lets play at that point.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Maybe I just dreamt it.

Anyway, is Power of Illusions good? I have a $5 Amazon gift card and that can make the game $3. However, if I can find someone who wants to buy this gift card for $5 flat, I can get Pirate's Curse for 33% off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

I really want to like the Ace Attorney games but I feel like I always do everything wrong. :smith: Its bad enough I'd probably have to just play the game with Gamefaqs open; may as well just watch a lets play at that point.

Dual Destinies lets you save anytime so you can just save scum the hell out of it. Did they add that feature to the Trilogy remake? Phoenix v. Layton also lets you save anytime but you have to be really incredibly stupid to mess up in that one.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, if you just want to see where the stories go and want to attempt to play them, then keep that FAQ open. Go at your pace. No need to be neurotic :)

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

:worship:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Dual Destinies lets you save anytime so you can just save scum the hell out of it. Did they add that feature to the Trilogy remake? Phoenix v. Layton also lets you save anytime but you have to be really incredibly stupid to mess up in that one.
I think you have this a little backwards. You could always save at any time in any DS/3DS Ace Attorney game with the exception of Layton vs. Wright where you can only save at checkpoints.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nate RFB posted:

I think you have this a little backwards. You could always save at any time in any DS/3DS Ace Attorney game with the exception of Layton vs. Wright where you can only save at checkpoints.

Huh, I could have sworn I saved in the middle of the last trial in Layton v. Wright but I guess it was a mid-trial checkpoint.

I also feel very stupid because I know in at least one of the original Phoenix trilogy I failed a case and had to do the whole thing over, so either I didn't know I could save at any time or I chose not to save. :\

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The problem with Ace attorney is that you have to understand Ace Attorney logic to get anywhere sometimes. You may know the murderer's finger is inside the vase in evidence, but you need to figure out which inconsequential question/press combo will lead the judge to talk about how in his day they wore onions on their belts so that Edgeworth bumps into the vase and shatters it.

It's possible I just hate adventure games.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

nuru posted:

The problem with Ace attorney is that you have to understand Ace Attorney logic to get anywhere sometimes. You may know the murderer's finger is inside the vase in evidence, but you need to figure out which inconsequential question/press combo will lead the judge to talk about how in his day they wore onions on their belts so that Edgeworth bumps into the vase and shatters it.

It's possible I just hate adventure games.

I never really felt bad when I looked something up for an AA game because it almost always made me go "WHAT? Bullshit!!" when I saw the answer.

They're still fun games.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

precision posted:

Huh, I could have sworn I saved in the middle of the last trial in Layton v. Wright but I guess it was a mid-trial checkpoint.

I also feel very stupid because I know in at least one of the original Phoenix trilogy I failed a case and had to do the whole thing over, so either I didn't know I could save at any time or I chose not to save. :\
The DS games would prompt you to save at the end of Investigations or Court Days, so you'd never have to do the whole thing over. And yeah, you could just hit Start and save at any point. I used that a lot, just because it was tedious having to go through all the Court session again if you messed up.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

I never really felt bad when I looked something up for an AA game because it almost always made me go "WHAT? Bullshit!!" when I saw the answer.

They're still fun games.

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy is doing this to me. There was a puzzle about a gift entrapped in ice and the goal was to get it out. It gave you how much ice a certain amount of warm water melted and when you do the math, the answer is like 500 or something, but they only give you 2 digits to write your answer. I looked up the answer and it was zero. You can just leave it out by the fire to let it melt.

It's bullshit because 95% of the puzzles are equally ridiculous and implausible situations, but the answer can be worked out, so there's no good indication of what direction you need to go in any given puzzle. It's constantly like "Is this a trick, or one of the real ones?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If a Layton puzzle is asking you to do math the answer is almost always something else