Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you don't have 3 metro lines intersecting you live in a suburb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

Nathilus posted:

I've been in some burbclaves that were so bland and samey that it traumatized me. Like, once we were driving through a north austin suburb to get to a friend of mine's parents' house. We all lived and went to school in San Antonio so austin trips were fairly common and easy. But we kept going through this god damned suburb and every block was exactly the same. I got a very sickening feeling and also felt like I was detached from reality. Like, the only way I can explain it is a little voice going "You are now entering: The Stepford Wives. Have a nice day." accompanied by dissociation and massive dread. I expect I'd feel the exact same way if I got abducted and stuck in the Hypercube or shrunk down and put in a gerbil run.

what im trying to say is ur thread triggered me, OP.

Ya the only place I've seen the kind of trash heap "suburb" where the houses are built with the same plan is in Arizona and Nevada. Texas of course must similarly be a fail aids state naturally. Subdivisions where all the houses are the same are not suburbs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone need 2000sq ft of house? What the gently caress do you guys own that you need all that space just to keep your poo poo in? Fully inflated bouncy castles? Your collection of classic cars?

My taxidermy.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Foid One posted:

If you have a garage you live in a loving suburb. What the gently caress. If you have three parking spots and pay 503 a month you love in a drat suburb. Jesus

SE 24th & Hawthorne in Portland is not a suburb you dildo

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

himajinga posted:

It's still under developed trash

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
Live outside the city/suburbs. Make like 10x less, but cost of living is like 20x less and you gain a few hours of not having to deal with subway or city traffic.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
What does Detroit count as?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Live in a van you newbs. Then you can live anywhere.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

himajinga posted:

Post a streetview, fucknut

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp

himajinga posted:

LMAO I just looked this up google maps. This is a SUBURB you ridiculous fail aidsman.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
It's great toLive in the city with our nice trees and yards and single family homes with driveways

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
it's pretty quiet in the burbs. thats one of the main attractions.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

NakedWithCandy posted:

Live outside the city/suburbs. Make like 10x less, but cost of living is like 20x less and you gain a few hours of not having to deal with subway or city traffic.

That's assuming you don't drive the two and a half hours it takes to get to the city in order to work.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I must be doing it wrong then because my neighbors are loving loud.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm hosed up. Got to have some sort of background noise or else I have trouble sleeping. The wind noise from an opened window is actually pretty noticeable. Especially in a condo 76 floors up

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I put lectures from YouTube on until I fall asleep

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TwoStepBoog posted:

I drove out to meet a friend at a bar in some no-name town in Iowa while he was visiting his parents. 45 minute drive out from the nearest city.
It was noon, and the bar was filled with 60-70 year old men all getting drunk before having to return to their miserable lives of farming the same endless cornfields.
The suburbs and cities are both paradise compared to that.

To be fair, if it was noon and they were farmers, they already put in their 9 hours of work for the day.

Rural Iowa is not like a typical suburb. Small towns and "strip mall suburbs" are very different things. I grew up in a small town, and it was creeks and nearby woods and ponds for hockey in the winter and a ball field for baseball in the summer and football in the winter and playing basketball in random peoples' driveways that you don't even know, but it's all chill and nobody cared. I've talked to people who grew up in cookie-cutter suburbs with nothing but houses for miles in every direction... that sounds lovely.

But I consider raising a child in a city to be child abuse.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Foid One posted:

Ya the only place I've seen the kind of trash heap "suburb" where the houses are built with the same plan is in Arizona and Nevada. Texas of course must similarly be a fail aids state naturally. Subdivisions where all the houses are the same are not suburbs

it's pretty funny when you think about it. I live in an apartment complex where literally every building has the exact same rooms with the exact same floorplans but somehow the suburbs get flak for being samey

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Its listening to the deaf people in the apartment above you making terrifying animal and zombie sounds while loving that make for a full urban experience.

Seriously, what the gently caress.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Seriously lol if you consciously choose to live anywhere with a population greater than 100,000 you literal ape.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
lol if you don't live in an early 20th century Ebenezer Howard-style garden city which offers the best of both town and country

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Are you literally shaking?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Pauline Kael posted:

Are you literally shaking?

y es (palsy)

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Live in the city until you have kids then move to the suburbs, it's not hard to figure out how this stuff works

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Live in the city until you have kids then move to the suburbs, it's not hard to figure out how this stuff works

second this, leave the city for all things failure related, suburbs for those that unlock the mysterious key to life

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
i live in a lovely historic neighborhood suburb that's a 10 minute walk from a lovely city. suburbs and cities both suck, life is not worth living. i would like to live in a roller rink circa 1985.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

bagmonkey posted:

What does Detroit count as?

Fallout 3 for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

i live in a lovely historic neighborhood suburb that's a 10 minute walk from a lovely city. suburbs and cities both suck, life is not worth living. i would like to live in a roller rink circa 1985.

Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Yes your children's most impressionable years should be spent in a bland suburb devoid of culture and new experiences so they are as dull as possible.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

people who live in suburbs are just pitiful.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

lmao

the american dream right here boys

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

Yes your children's most impressionable years should be spent in a bland suburb devoid of culture and new experiences so they are as dull as possible.

TO - "culture" does not mean the same thing to parents as it does to gay trust fund babbys. It's ok that you live in a horrible little condo in the worst big city in the US, but no responsible parent would do that willingly.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Manslaughter posted:

lmao

the american dream right here boys

Post where you live, plz

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Pauline Kael posted:

Post where you live, plz

homeless

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Live in the city until you have kids then move to the suburbs

and then kill yourself because fun has ended

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i didnt read thraed but im guess a lot of people in denial about howm uch they life blows and how they should eat a bullet

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

i didnt read thraed but im guess a lot of people in denial about howm uch they life blows and how they should eat a bullet

Good point, but they at least are close to the laundromat and only have to walk 6 blocks to the nearest severely overpriced bodega. They'd eat a bullet but with the heavily regulated existence city dwellers are forced into, they can't have a gun

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

look i can see my house from her e and it appears im a fukin ant in an anthill but theres a trampoline in my backyard and my car is slightly newer than the neighbors so LIFE RoCKS :xd:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

A misanthrope posted:

dont worry if you live in the city that bullet will find you soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

look i can see my house from her e and it appears im a fukin ant in an anthill but theres a trampoline in my backyard and my car is slightly newer than the neighbors so LIFE RoCKS :xd:

Yeah I'd way rather be sandwiched between the family that screams all the time and I can hear it through paper thin walls and the guy that flushes his toilet 50 times every night and wakes me up. Now THAT's living! You can't get that kind of cultural amenity in a detached home!

• Locked thread