Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Decided to grab this for my DS thanks to the LP. Great job!

FinalGamer posted:

Yeah this part of the game is set up really well because you were totally expecting a medieval-style RPG like every other Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest bullshit and then

...gently caress :(

This whole part doesn't pull too many punches, and like you said, is a great indicator that this game's story isn't going to be as straightforward as other RPGs of its generation (I mean, we already know there's gonna be lots of time travel, but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wasn't expecting anything because this was my first ever JRPG. Final Fantasy VI was my second. To be honest, it's all been downhill since then.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

RareAcumen posted:

Your commentary will just be tools banging on metal as you somehow keep the videos from imploding in real time.

That's probably not too far from the truth. :v:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RareAcumen posted:

Your commentary will just be tools banging on metal as you somehow keep the videos from imploding in real time.

He'll basically be Taban, banging something with a hammer that magically makes it work.

And that makes me a purple haired nerd.

Which I'm okay with.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Reading the update, as soon as the Dragon Tank started to appear, the boss battle music started playing in my head. Ah, the memories!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yes, my second-favorite era!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Explosionface posted:

I get the feeling that one way or another, I'm going to be involved with this down the line.

I can't imagine how you'd come to that conclusion.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I like how Marle is praying in the portal.

For the video commentary. Good voice flow, decent enunciation. I figure you'll already be working on the mic noise upcoming. I look forward to your video lps.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Everyone's already been gushing about the spritework in CT, but it especially goes for the bosses. Nearly every boss in CT has some interesting little gimmick and fun animations that make them unique and memorable. Like in a standard SNES Final Fantasy game, you might have some bosses that are memorable for their cool design, or some dick move like an Ultima death-counter, but all you have to actually watch is their sprite briefly flickering and a text box to say what they're doing, and then some generic magic effect.

The boss fights in CT are just so engaging in comparison.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Something that hasn't been discussed much is counters. A lot of enemies have distance-based counters. Gato does that multi punch thing when you're too close to him, although in the original post it's been implied as just an unavoidable counter. With Yakra, I think maybe he does the full party counter when you attack from a distance? I might have this reversed. The game mechanics go deeper than what you see on the surface, but while you don't have any control over your characters' positions, you do have the opportunity to wait for an attack to be lined up, or to get someone out of their counter range. In final fantasy you can only really have binary opportunities like that. Hit or don't hit.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's a lot of different counters. Yakra's is based on distance (although in the DS version it's been tweaked to have a huge range. Cross Strike still kills him dead) while Gato's is just a straight up counter. However he counter attacks whomever is closest to him. Had Chrono attack when he had toddled far away and he smacked Marle instead.

Missing also varies by mob and most Tech's can actually miss as well. (It's just really really rare.)

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

MikeJF posted:

The Dragon Tank always felt weirdly out of place for me for some reason. But hey, awesome finishing move on it.

It always felt odd to me that the Guardia kingdom, which otherwise still seemed to have sword-dudes and wood fireplaces and the like, would have a fully automated mobile siege weapon. I mean, sure, Lucca does way crazier poo poo, but prior to this point the implication seemed to purely be that Lucca was centuries ahead of the curve and was inventing stuff without actually having the foundational tech required to run it (meaning she musta built THAT too). Seeing the Dragon Tank gives you that jarring moment of "wait, these people don't have electricity but do have a fire-breathing mech?"

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's a lot of different counters. Yakra's is based on distance (although in the DS version it's been tweaked to have a huge range. Cross Strike still kills him dead) while Gato's is just a straight up counter. However he counter attacks whomever is closest to him. Had Chrono attack when he had toddled far away and he smacked Marle instead.

Missing also varies by mob and most Tech's can actually miss as well. (It's just really really rare.)
Gato can still be out of range of both characters and not be able to hit them, so that's a thing.

CmdrKing posted:

It always felt odd to me that the Guardia kingdom, which otherwise still seemed to have sword-dudes and wood fireplaces and the like, would have a fully automated mobile siege weapon. I mean, sure, Lucca does way crazier poo poo, but prior to this point the implication seemed to purely be that Lucca was centuries ahead of the curve and was inventing stuff without actually having the foundational tech required to run it (meaning she musta built THAT too). Seeing the Dragon Tank gives you that jarring moment of "wait, these people don't have electricity but do have a fire-breathing mech?"
They have fridges and stoves, so...

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Cheez posted:

They have fridges and stoves, so...

Gosh, really? *looks back at Chrono's House in the first update*

Huuuuh. In some six playthroughs of this game, I seriously never noticed that. Weird.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CmdrKing posted:

Gosh, really? *looks back at Chrono's House in the first update*

Huuuuh. In some six playthroughs of this game, I seriously never noticed that. Weird.

The greatest indication of tech in 1000 A.D. aside from that and the ferry is impossible to see until way late into the game. Guardia definitely has everything it needs to make a Dragon Tank. But it is fairly easy to gloss over the background details since there are no recognizable T.V.'s anywhere and that's usually what people associate with 'electricity is commonplace.'

At least I did when first playing this game.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Not necessarily TVs, but yeah, it's the lack of communication devices in general. You never see people use radios or the like either. The other signifier for semi-modern tech levels in fiction would be cars or a similar device, but the way CT lays out its towns even if they existed they wouldn't be especially noticeable for us.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The greatest indication of tech in 1000 A.D. aside from that and the ferry is impossible to see until way late into the game. Guardia definitely has everything it needs to make a Dragon Tank. But it is fairly easy to gloss over the background details since there are no recognizable T.V.'s anywhere and that's usually what people associate with 'electricity is commonplace.'

Maybe some guys in the Middle Ages saw Lucca kicking rear end with a gun and reverse engineered some new stuff in order to make the Dragon Tank a possibility. :shrug:

Luigi Mario KOG
Oct 21, 2012

Crono's got what looks like a radio and (electric?) lamp on his desk (and I think that's a typewriter next to his bed). His mom's got another radio in the kitchen. And they show up all over Truce and Porre in 1000AD. There's also sinks, implying running water/plumbing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Gun no, they were already selling it for her in the store (except this is more likely RPG Cliche rule #22 'no matter how bizarre the weapon the shops will carry and upgrade for it') but her flamethrower likely.

Also I double checked and mixed up the place I was thinking of with that of another game. Whoops! The place I was thinking of just has more of the same stuff.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 18, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's just weird, since the main character, from 1000AD uses a sword.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's just weird, since the main character, from 1000AD uses a sword.

Come on, it's not that weird. When cavalry up to the second World War can use lances and swords, I can just shrug and accept the main character in a video game using a sword in a world of dragon tanks.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Libluini posted:

Come on, it's not that weird. When cavalry up to the second World War can use lances and swords, I can just shrug and accept the main character in a video game using a sword in a world of dragon tanks.

As I understand it, only Poland did, when they brought out their actual horses to be ground under by defend against the German Blitzkrieg. I don't know if that counts as being used though. I do see your point though, I always assumed Chrono used a sword because :anime:, and lots of JRPGs are pretty fuzzy about tech level.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guardia's guards seem pretty medieval, though. The game's basically in a weird anachronistic tech level. Don't think about it too hard.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

There are multiple Final Fantasies that include technology up to space travel and the main characters still use swords so having a tank doesn't seem like a very big deal.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I seem to remember being able to take the ferry at the beginning of the game if you explore enough (i.e. go to Porre).

e: VVV Ah, obviously I should stay away before I wake up in the morning.

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 18, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Explosionface posted:

I seem to remember being able to take the ferry at the beginning of the game if you explore enough (i.e. go to Porre).

He means the best indication of technology, besides the ferry, isn't seen until later in the game.

But I'm racking my brains to figure out what that is.

Critic of the Dawn
Jun 5, 2011

Critic of the Dawn used Whine at the GM.
You gain a level!

SkuttyB posted:

Also those skeletons in the torture rooms do get up for a fight, I just had to move away from the chest a bit for it to happen, but maybe its a small trigger spot.

I seem to recall the trigger to fight the skeletons in the torture room behind Fritz being the whip hanging from the wall. Not sure if you actually have to examine it or just stand next to it, but I'm pretty sure that's what gets them moving.

Can't say I blame them, honestly...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

He means the best indication of technology, besides the ferry, isn't seen until later in the game.

I just beat my current playthrough, and I'm also drawing a blank on it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm pretty sure he means Gato.

He's clearly the most advanced thing around. :colbert:

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
The world isn't that big, so there aren't huge requirements for stuff like "mass transit" and "simple communications". There just aren't that many people, and the world is small enough that pretty much everyone can fit inside the castle if they really needed to do so.

EDIT: Also, a lot of this might have been done by Lucca's family in the past few years. Sure, people have radios, but what's being broadcast?

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 18, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

MaskedHuzzah posted:

The world isn't that big, so there aren't huge requirements for stuff like "mass transit" and "simple communications". There just aren't that many people, and the world is small enough that pretty much everyone can fit inside the castle if they really needed to do so.

EDIT: Also, a lot of this might have been done by Lucca's family in the past few years. Sure, people have radios, but what's being broadcast?

Lucca and Taban are secretly celebrity DJ's. Lucca runs an Electronica station and Taben hits things with hammers.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

RickVoid posted:

Lucca and Taban are secretly celebrity DJ's. Lucca runs an Electronica station and Taben hits things with hammers.
So basically Taban conducts Stomp! The Musical all by himself.

What a talented guy! :haw:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Especially after the radio episode of Adventure Time with radio occurring in a shack I love this image.

"This is Lucca *CLANG* and Ta*CLANG*ban coming to you live*CLANG* because I invented this enti*CLANG*re *CLANG* format*CLANG* DAD WILL YOU LET ME GET THROUGH THE INTRO BEFORE PLAYING YOUR HAMMER MUSIC"

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I could totally see Lucca as a DJ. She's already got a helmet that covers her ears and an antenna somewhere on that getup, built-in headphones aren't a stretch.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Guys, why are we wondering why Chrono uses a sword? There are plenty of people out there that use swords and don't talk.

Chrono is a socially awkward weeaboo who is living out his nippon fantasies due to being lucky enough to be eaten up by a timehole. I mean, he lives with his mom and later on he displays progressively more anti-social tendencies.

Lucca is card carrying NRA member, Marle is royalty, so it makes sense she has odd skills like Crossbowery, appropriate silverware use and wearing clothes underneath clothes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Leavemywife posted:

I'm pretty sure he means Gato.

He's clearly the most advanced thing around. :colbert:
I mixed up games in my brain. I was thinking that modern Guardia's Kitchen was a kitchen from Lufia 2 with ovens and microwaves and stuff.
No, it just has 3 stoves 4 sinks and 2 refrigerators amidst a sea of small storage pots :downs:

Lucca's stuff is certainly the most advanced thing around (and the dragon tank could have been an old commission for dosh from Taban.)
Guardia's military isn't that medieval though: they're wearing suits and all have a regulation haircut.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

RickVoid posted:

I've got one of their singles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAf087gh1c4

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Lucca: :stare:
Crono: :catstare:
Marle: :woop:

Marle is the heart, soul, and reckless driving force of this chaotic little adventure of ours, as this update and updates to come shall demonstrate.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Gato's song.

On repeat.

Dubstep remix.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

The idea of not using swords in a fantasy setting has never made sense to me. Did you see what Chrono did to that tank with a sword? As opposed to Luca who was ineffectually plinking away at it the whole fight? Not to mention all sorts of stuff like fire whirl, or sword beams, or scenes of characters cutting through rocks or steel or whatever. When you can do all of this, and still usually have a ranged attack in the form of magic, why not use a sword in a setting like this? The settings usually have magic out the rear end anyway, not to mention several swords begin explicitly magical. Blacksmithing and the limits of the human body just work different in fantasy settings. There's more magic in it, and that' why things work the way they do. When swords and hammers and whatnot can do stuff like this, it makes sense that guns would be weaker and less commonplace. Because why bother building a complex little machine that you have to reload with little bits of metal that are wasted after one shot, when you can use that metal to make a sword that can shoot tiny little bullets of light and cut through rock?

• Locked thread