Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I was really hoping for 5 Slickens per encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

CottonWolf posted:

Does that actually happen in the latest build? As far as I could tell I never used to in previous.
I'm not sure it was ever in. Instead they gave mages a 2/encounter direct damage / dazing (small) AoE ability from the jump

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sensuki posted:

I think it was dropped. I can see why too.

Yeah. It would be hellish to balance. They should really change the text at chargen then, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok new debate:

Apparently we each get to make 8 mercenary adventurers to hang out at our keep or take along on quests.

What builds are people thinking of for those guys?

So far it sounds like I want to try at least one Bleak Walker arquebusier paladin. Do people have any good suggestions for Barbarian or Monk builds? Priests that aren't of Magran?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok new debate:

Apparently we each get to make 8 mercenary adventurers to hang out at our keep or take along on quests.

So far it sounds like I want to try at least one Bleak Walker arquebusier paladin. Do people have any good suggestions for Barbarian or Monk builds? Priests that aren't of Magran?

I'd probably just fill it with every character build I couldn't use as my main my first time through (which is still going to be a gun-centric cypher I think). I'd say a damage-soaking damage-aura paladin melee person, then a shotgun-toting Orlan rogue, maybe some kind of druid since I never got the hang of them in the beta proper.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
Question about druids: is there ever a reason to not be spiritshifted?

Captain Concept
Aug 23, 2014

Ok new debate:

Honestly don't know, if it's a total of 15 companions (+MC), that'd be 3 parties you could build? I'd try to build them diverse to be able to handle various different situations I suppose. 3 different core parties.

But I'm most curious if "Backgrounds" will have any impact on the Stronghold (Laborer=Builds faster/cheaper, Scholar=Bonus to Library etc.). Suikoden-esque. I doubt it's a thing, but, you know, curiosity~

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

MC Nietzche posted:

Question about druids: is there ever a reason to not be spiritshifted?

Yeah I believe it has a short-ish duration.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Do people have any good suggestions for Barbarian or Monk builds? Priests that aren't of Magran?
A single-serving CC monk is a fun build. In descending order of important stats, you've got intellect, constitution, and dexterity / might (interchangeable depending on what you want to emphasize). Take talents that enhance your accuracy and enjoy locking down single dudes and launching them across maps. I'll have to check and see if they rebalanced the abilities but when I was running the build before I was consistently disabling mooks for 15-20 seconds in a single blow.

Question for people who've played the beta on hard: Does Medreth receive an invisibility ability / potion at this difficulty level? Because I hit him with the wizard's summoned vampiric stave and all of a sudden I can see his selection circle on the map, his name and lifebar are still there, but his body isn't in the picture and he cannot be targeted. I don't know if this is a bug.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 18, 2015

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Basic Chunnel posted:

Question for people who've played the beta on hard: Does Medreth receive an invisibility ability / potion at this difficulty level? Because I hit him with the wizard's summoned vampiric stave and all of a sudden I can see his selection circle on the map, his name and lifebar are still there, but his body isn't in the picture and he cannot be targeted. I don't know if this is a bug.

It's a bug, if you look a bit closer you can still see his stilettos making attacks, but his mesh is gone. I reported it a few days ago.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I am going to make every playable character from Ar Tonelico 2 because I am a giant dork.

So that's three chanters, a lance-wielding paladin, a polearm/staff rogue, a sword and board fighter or barbarian because you can't dual wield shields, a bow priest, and... wait, the last guy is a wolf. I guess he'll be a ranger's pet. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Still feels like yesterday when I backed this game and watched that celebratory livestream and whatnot. Feels weird that it's going to be out in a week.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Sensuki posted:

Yeah I believe it has a short-ish duration.

It does, yeah. In some longer fights, one won't be able to stay spirit-shifted the entire fight.

Also, it would depend on how you build your Druid and party composition of course. In my latest beta playthrough, I tended to keep the Druid more in the back with ranged weapons and sent him up front (spirit-shifted) when needing more oomph on the frontlines. Probably not the optimal way to play the class but it worked very well for my party.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I was thinking about building a Hearth Orlan rogue with all the crit improving talents ( Dirty Fighting, Vicious Fighting, Vicious Slaughter, The Merciless Hand if i can get it). Add in a paladin with Zealous Focus + Critical Focus maybe.
That was really fun in the last beta build with Tall Grass ( + 10 % hit to Critical hit range, chance to knockdown enemies on critical hit), almost every hit knocked somebody to the ground. Pike is the perfect weapon for a melee that does not tank, just stay safe behind the tanks. But extended range is the pike's only bonus, and that does not really help with my crit build idea.
I was looking at the weapons and apparently battle axes give even more damage on critical hits, that seems like it would stack well. But then I noticed the damage type is slash, and that seems to be rather useless. All armors are weaker to crush or pierce, and it seems many monsters as well, so whats the point of using slashing damage weapons at all ?
Maybe two rapiers would be better, with more accuracy translating into more critical hits.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Probably getting ahead of myself, but I'm already planning my party composition to eventually try every class and companion in two playthroughs. Chanter and five companions first, then a Monk plus the leftover companions and custom Barbarian+Rogue. Really tempted to swap one of those main characters with a Bleak Walker Paladin though, as it does seem like it would drastically change my approach to quests.

Kanfy posted:

Still feels like yesterday when I backed this game and watched that celebratory livestream and whatnot. Feels weird that it's going to be out in a week.
Definitely. During development I couldn't wait for it to get here, but now that it it's almost out it feels like hardly any time has passed.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I like Spears. They have +5 natural accuracy, do pierce damage and are a 1H normal weapon.

And yeah slash is balls, too weak against most armors. Only weapon that makes up for that is the Sabre, really.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Do people have any good suggestions for Barbarian or Monk builds? Priests that aren't of Magran?

If I'm ever making/when I'll make a Barbarian it'll be a High Int/High Interrupt build I think. To compensate for the lack of Might I'll probably be getting some Graze-to-Hit/Hit-to-Crit talents or something along those lines. I'm picturing an annoying, crazy little fur-ball of pain Wild Orlan disrupting all the guys the Fighter is tanking, or, using Wild Run, go intercept some fucker who went behind my front lines.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Sensuki posted:

I like Spears. They have +5 natural accuracy, do pierce damage and are a 1H normal weapon.

And yeah slash is balls, too weak against most armors. Only weapon that makes up for that is the Sabre, really.

Oh, I didn't think of spears, good idea. I assume 1h normal weapons are somewhat better then fast weapons because they have less problems overcoming the damage threshold ? They are in the same talent group as a blunderbuss as well, if I have a spare talent for weapon focus.
And I can make a custom Cladhalíath for this to ! Sounds good.
I wonder if going how the math for going one handed instead of dual wield with this build looks.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

MonikaTSarn posted:

Oh, I didn't think of spears, good idea. I assume 1h normal weapons are somewhat better then fast weapons because they have less problems overcoming the damage threshold ? They are in the same talent group as a blunderbuss as well, if I have a spare talent for weapon focus.
I wonder if going how the math for going one handed instead of dual wield with this build looks.

Yeah I don't like light weapons at all at the moment. There's also Ritezzi's Thorn which you can buy from the blacksmith that is a good spear for the beta.

And yeah those x on crit effects are going to be OP in the full game I think.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Halfway through my playthrough of BG1, to be followed by BG2 before release. I think time might be an issue.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Probably getting ahead of myself, but I'm already planning my party composition to eventually try every class and companion in two playthroughs. Chanter and five companions first, then a Monk plus the leftover companions and custom Barbarian+Rogue. Really tempted to swap one of those main characters with a Bleak Walker Paladin though, as it does seem like it would drastically change my approach to quests.

Definitely. During development I couldn't wait for it to get here, but now that it it's almost out it feels like hardly any time has passed.

I kinda see the 8 adventurer companions as dry-runs for new main characters in second playthroughs, which is why, yeah, I want one of them to be a Bleak Walker. Going all aggressive all the time is like the exact opposite of my normal playstyle.

MonikaTSarn posted:

Remember that unless you're a priest with a religious weapon talent, or are building your character around the design mechanics of a specific weapon like the Blunderbuss, it's probably more useful to think in weapon sets rather than single weapons. I mean it depends on your talent selection but unless it's changed these are the groups you're looking at (again, DONT use the groups on the wiki, wiki is bad, wiki is outdated, that might need to go in the OP):

Adventurer - Pollaxe, Estoc, Flail, Wand, War Bow.
Knight - Battle Axe, Sword, Morning Star, Crossbow
Noble - Dagger, Rapier, Mace, Sceptre, Rod
Peasant - Hatchet, Spear, Quarterstaff, Hunting Bow, Unarmed
Ruffian - Sabre, Stiletto, Club, Pistol, Blunderbuss
Soldier - Great Sword, Pike, War Hammer, Arbalest, Arquebus

Roughly speaking, and depending on build, that seems to mean your front ranks want Adventurer or maybe Knight or soldier, your middle ranks probably want soldier, your dual wielders and rogues probably want ruffian, and your wizards might want to go noble?

For your build it sounds like Peasant weapon group might be what you want, or maybe Soldier. Both groups have an extended reach weapon and a good one-handed option too. Arquebus is one of the best ranged openers and hunting bow might even turn out to be a good ranged choice with the right setup (DR penetration and attack speed).

For fast weapons I like stilettos for the -DR.

I do think you probably want a weapon focus talent because +accuracy is almost always strictly better than +crit to hit or + graze to hit, since it effectively gives both of those as well as + miss to graze.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Strange that Weapon Focus (Knight) only has four weapons.

Maybe they'll add in an extra one or something in the expansion.

What renaissance weapons would be cool? Another polearm?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sensuki posted:

Strange that Weapon Focus (Knight) only has four weapons.

Maybe they'll add in an extra one or something in the expansion.

What renaissance weapons would be cool? Another polearm?

Well, I copy/pasted that from the forum, maybe it's missing one. And yeah the game needs a third "reach" weapon. I'm plugging for guisarme-voulge or Bec de Corbin. Maybe Glaive. Or Glaive-Guisarme! Glaive-guisarme-voulge!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 18, 2015

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
On the subject of companions, I really wanted a druid along, but would rather play a cipher personally. So I hope that Hiravias is less of a dickhead than he appeared in that pax presentation.

willing to settle fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Well, I copy/pasted that from the forum, maybe it's missing one. And yeah the game needs a third "reach" weapon. I'm plugging for guisarme-voulge or Bec de Corbin. Maybe Glaive. Or Glaive-Guisarme! Glaive-guisarme-voulge!

Chu Ko Nu :P Although that probably doesn't fit the setting.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Tarezax posted:

I am going to make every playable character from Ar Tonelico 2 because I am a giant dork.

So that's three chanters, a lance-wielding paladin, a polearm/staff rogue, a sword and board fighter or barbarian because you can't dual wield shields, a bow priest, and... wait, the last guy is a wolf. I guess he'll be a ranger's pet. :v:
Someone mentioned making Fell's Five as a party in the previous thread. To that person, I'm asking : what is the best race and class combination for the Warlock Tiefling, the other four being rather obvious.

Also I should re-read that series. It was a lot of fun.

I thought we could only get 8 "companions" total, and that those who aren't in the party would stay at the keep? "Companions" here including both the NPCs and the hired help.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

X_Toad posted:

Someone mentioned making Fell's Five as a party in the previous thread. To that person, I'm asking : what is the best race and class combination for the Warlock Tiefling, the other four being rather obvious.

Also I should re-read that series. It was a lot of fun.

I thought we could only get 8 "companions" total, and that those who aren't in the party would stay at the keep? "Companions" here including both the NPCs and the hired help.

Nope. 8 scripted companions and 8 you can make at the Adventurer's Hall.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How many companions can you have in a single party?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kurtofan posted:

How many companions can you have in a single party?

Six total party members, or five + you.

X_Toad posted:

Haven't read the series but the Tiefling equivalent in Pillars are Godlikes. Maybe a Fire Godlike and then wizard or cipher depending?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
One question - are there liches?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

CobiWann posted:

One question - are there liches?

I suspect there will be some sort of lich alike but we've not seen anything that is called or equivalent to a Lich so far. We do have spider mind flayers though.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Only the very best in video games have Mindflayers, like BG2 and Dominions 3. A good sign.

How is exp handles in the game? Is it split amongst the party? Can you reach maximum level by the end of the game with a full party?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Baller Time posted:

Only the very best in video games have Mindflayers, like BG2 and Dominions 3. A good sign.

How is exp handles in the game? Is it split amongst the party? Can you reach maximum level by the end of the game with a full party?

It's split among the party, max level is reportedly 12th, apparently if you do ALL the sidequests yes, but reports are most people will probably end up around 8-10th level by the time they complete the game.

Main thing to be aware of is that there's relatively little XP from killing monsters directly, it's just for accomplishing quest goals. Grinding won't work.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Which class would be best for a pure archer? I, sadly, just love pumping out arrows in rpgs.

E: Cause, ya know, I need to start thinking about my char only to scrap every single plan and make something random when I actually start the game. Seriously can't wait.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 18, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ChiTownEddie posted:

Which class would be best for a pure archer? I, sadly, just love pumping out arrows in rpgs.

As of the last beta build everyone has been whining that bows are underpowered relative to guns, but probably either a ranger (if you want a pet and special arrow powers) or a rogue built for range (if you don't want a pet). The system's very flexible though so you could make a ranged build work with many classes.

edit: there's also an interesting build I saw someone post that involved a hunting bow, high Dex, and the Chanter song that allows you to fire ranged weapons faster.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 18, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Will it be possible to do a solo character run?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Will it be possible to do a solo character run?

There's an achievement for it!

Possible but not balanced for solo play so likely to be very very difficult.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, though the game isn't really designed around it and you'll probably have to metagame/exploit the game's ruleset quirks a fair bit.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Hey, the title changed. I approve wholeheartedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
PoE specifically wasn't gently caress You, Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG, get your poo poo together titlemaker. :colbert:

• Locked thread