Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
This month I'm oathing this converted 40k techmarine who seems to be very interested in the Cute Russian Girls on his auspex...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Addition! I hereby add to my oath Solomon Grundy for the Batman Miniatures Game by Knight Models, 36mm.

I'm both excited and kinda daunted by this, I'm really hoping it turns out well but it is going to be much more of a challenge! :eek:

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

I, Laika the Space Dog, do hereby oath: 3 converted GW SpaceDudes

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ugleb posted:

Oath Addition! I hereby add to my oath Solomon Grundy for the Batman Miniatures Game by Knight Models, 36mm.

LaikatheSpaceDog posted:

I, Laika the Space Dog, do hereby oath: 3 converted GW SpaceDudes

Oaths Accepted!

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Oaths Accepted!
Missed me?

Deanut Pancer posted:

This month I'm oathing this converted 40k techmarine who seems to be very interested in the Cute Russian Girls on his auspex...

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
Oathing: Two puppet wars models from Wyrd Miniatures, a super dungeon explore hero and three treasure markers from Soda Pop Miniatures

Wanted to make sure, the treasure markers count for the "I rolled a 6!" bonus point?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
:siren:OATH ADDITION! I add to my oath one male warrior from the DDS2 box set, by Reaper Miniatures

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Deanut Pancer posted:

Sorry!

Ledgem posted:

Oathing: Two puppet wars models from Wyrd Miniatures, a super dungeon explore hero and three treasure markers from Soda Pop Miniatures

Wanted to make sure, the treasure markers count for the "I rolled a 6!" bonus point?
Yes!

JerryLee posted:

:siren:OATH ADDITION! I add to my oath one male warrior from the DDS2 box set, by Reaper Miniatures

Oaths Accepted!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Going to 'Save da Whales' for my February Oath!

Weirdo posted:

I Weirdo Oath 5 Fleabag Riders by Mantic Games, 28mm, for the month of February.

All they need are some highlights and final touches.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Oath Complete!

To have a go at this months journal, I tried washing the metal with a brown tone, then highlight and add some streaks with a brighter metal color. This ended up with some cool scratch marks on the armor to make them look properly stolen used. Additionally, I tried to Fly my Flag by making a little banner for the guy who had the biggest club.

A better look and a chance to scope out the spawn that was painted too!

I was able to get a few games in with my necrons this week that I painted thanks to the Oath Thread.

This was the last thing that the land raider saw :ohdear: I thought this would be a cool In Action! shot.

I also was able to get a little Firestorm Armada in as well with my minis I painted last month!

For Strike a Pose I thought this would be fitting.

As the scout ship made its way through the nebula, the Dindrenzi vessel scanned for forms of life. At one time there was a research station in the vicinity, but no word from the crew had been heard in months. No ship traffic, no distress call, and no remains of the plasma research facility remained. In a matter of moments, the crew would find that something was still here. A direct hit to aft of the ship seemingly out of nowhere resulted in the engine reactor cutting out. The telltale sign of cloaking devices appeared on the helm displays, with several large ships appearing from all around. The comms station lit up with an incoming message, "Directorate Security Forces, prepare to be boarded."

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Dakkajet

Stormboy Nob

Crusader

Priest

Mystic

I'm going for this month's Journal (battle damage) on the Dakkajet. Plenty of scorch marks and dings on that thing.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for the month of March, a Reaper Bones Mockingbeast and a Reaper Bones Griffon

The griffon has some greenstuff where the wings meet the body.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
D: another month passed, another month not oathed.

Man I need to work my schedule out better. It will be easier in the summer when the evenings are brighter.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
OATH COMPLETE

I gotta tell you, taking pictures of this poo poo with my usual tools was a challenge.

Jurnal is the scratches and dings on the hero's shield. I'm not really happy with the way they turned out, I was experimenting with putting a darker scuff mark under the bright metal to give it some depth but the brown is so dark that you have trouble seeing it :downs: I might try a lighter brown instead.

I'm also claiming In Battle! and Strike a Pose. For what? Read on...

Presenting The Hero and the Dragon
Being a Most Uncreatively Titled Story in One Act

Once upon a time, a hero strapped on his plate and cloak and wielded his sword and shield, and set out into the world to quest for treasure, as heroes are wont to do. Soon enough, he came to a ruin where there was treasure aplenty to be had. However, the treasure was being jealously guarded by a dragon, as dragons are wont to do.

If our hero was a lesser adventurer, he might well have died that day for his lack of wisdom in challenging a dragon to solo combat. However, our hero was well aware of the fact that he was adventuring in a system that harshly punished melee characters, and had possessed the foresight to take several levels in an arcane spellcasting class.

Thinking quickly, he unleashed the power of Bigby's Dragon-Grasping Hand, which he had duly memorized and prepared that morning against just such an eventuality. Before the astonished dragon could do more than howl in rage, it was whisked away by a gigantic hand from the sky.

Our hero, having vanquished the mighty dragon with the power of his mind, took the opportunity to strike an appropriately heroic pose atop the ruins, just in case there were any fair maidens nearby who might have seen his accomplishment and decide to reward him with sex. (It must be said that although our hero had many fine qualities, a progressive view of relationships was not among them.)

Fin.

edit: forgot to white balance one of the images, fixed.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 22, 2015

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
There's still time to Oath, right?

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath five orcs for the month of March! (28mm GW)

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I Raphus C oath one Killa Kan (GW, 28mm)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

One of the better posts in this oath thread, if I may say so myself.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Additional oath: A Marauder, Tomble, and Syndrael
The first one is Privateer Press, the second two Fantasy Flight Games.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby oath for the month of March, a Reaper Bones Mockingbeast and a Reaper Bones Griffon

The griffon has some greenstuff where the wings meet the body.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

There's still time to Oath, right?

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath five orcs for the month of March! (28mm GW)
Yes, until midnight tonight, I believe

Raphus C posted:

I Raphus C oath one Killa Kan (GW, 28mm)

Red Shoe posted:

Additional oath: A Marauder, Tomble, and Syndrael
The first one is Privateer Press, the second two Fantasy Flight Games.

Oaths Accepted!

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
I, Android, Oath six objective markers from Worldsmith Industries

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I WhiteOutMouse Oath two nightlord horse riders, one with a banner, and a counter for the new blood tithe system. GW miniatures 28mm. GW LoTR movement tray, one 25mm round base and a dollar store Halloween skull ring bit for the marker.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I, Gareth Gobulcoque, do oath the Swordfish and Heldenhammer from GW's Dreadfleet for the month of March

Oath Addition: Flaming Scimitar from GW's Dreadfleet

This is a bad idea. I have no idea when I'll have time, but I'm so close to being done.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Android posted:

I, Android, Oath six objective markers from Worldsmith Industries

Oath Accepted!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I WhiteOutMouse Oath two nightlord horse riders, one with a banner, and a counter for the new blood tithe system. GW miniatures 28mm. GW LoTR movement tray, one 25mm round base and a dollar store Halloween skull ring bit for the marker.

This is a bad idea. I have no idea when I'll have time, but I'm so close to being done.

I've left the pictures in this post because I have to point out again that rule #1 of the thread is:

quote:

Oathing a Model
1. Make sure you are posting your oath earlier than the last calendar week of each month. So for February you must post by :siren: 12 midnight *AMERICAN* SAMOAN TIME :siren: the 21st of February. For months with 30 days, you'll need to Oath by midnight on the 22nd, and for months with 31 days you'll need to Oath by midnight on the 23rd.

The bolded part at the end is what's relevant here. I put those times and example dates in the rules post specifically so I could quote it when folks try to Oath after the deadline. Even though I didn't post a reminder the deadline must still stand, sorry! I know no is trying to cheat or game the system at all, but rules be rules and all that.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Huh. I thought it was just one week before the final paintjob deadline. So the 24th was still fine to oath since I had a week and part of a day total to paint.

Rules are rules I suppose. I could have sworn I have oathed this way for most of the months to be honest.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
In June and October you Oathed on the 24th after the deadline and I let those slip accidentally - I think I added that line to the OP sometime late summer because of questions that came up with other Oaths and I got mixed up with the time zones, so I'm guessing I really let your October Oath slip through. Sorry if this messes up your schedule!

e: the deadline is a carryover from one of the older rules sets, and I'm thinking of tossing it out for the next Oath Thread - after all, with Speed Painting being an Achievement, why not let people post right up to the end of the month? But for now (the last 2 months of this thread) it needs to stay in place.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 25, 2015

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Makes sense. It's especially fine because I don't have the time to paint it in the first place.

You should totally toss it though. I'm not sure why it was there in the first place, but I think if the goal is to paint stuff then the rules shouldn't get in the way more than absolutely nenecessary. A lot of the rules seem structured around preventing people from gaming the system. Is that a legit concern? Do people actually care if other people oath WIP Models with more than one color? I don't, but maybe other people do.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Makes sense. It's especially fine because I don't have the time to paint it in the first place.

You should totally toss it though. I'm not sure why it was there in the first place, but I think if the goal is to paint stuff then the rules shouldn't get in the way more than absolutely nenecessary. A lot of the rules seem structured around preventing people from gaming the system. Is that a legit concern? Do people actually care if other people oath WIP Models with more than one color? I don't, but maybe other people do.

Yeah I'm not sure how much gaming of the rules there can be, especially with a one-model minimum and no extra points for doing more models (one of the major things that confused me the first time I took part). I think the 'no more than 1 color' rule still kinda makes sense if we're trying to stick with 'paint a model from start to finish in 1 month'.

If the goal is simply 'paint your stuff no matter what state it's in' then the rule could be as simple as 'post a picture of your finished model with a timestamp to prove it was done this month' - but with a chance at free stuff on the line I think you'd still need to make sure that people aren't taking photos of models their friends painted, or that they painted years ago. The beginning & end timestamp forces accountability and a modicum of project tracking. I think that is one possibility to game the system, but with the numbers of people taking part I don't see it paying off really.

Speaking of rules stuff, if anyone wants to start speaking up about the rules, suggestions, new Achievements, Achievements that are stupid/boring/whatever, anything else they'd like to see changed, etc., I suppose now is the time to start talking about it, as we're just over a month away from finishing Season 5.

On a related topic, I am looking for someone to take over the spreadsheet/prize draw role for Season 6, so if anyone wants to help out in that respect PLEASE shout up. I'd love to find a way to make the spreadsheet easier to handle, but without making it a publicly accessible spreadsheet so people can enter their own Oaths or having multiple people edit it (both potential nightmares) I can't see a solution yet. (Perhaps a Google Docs form where people enter their Oath post and Oath Complete URLs, for independent verification?) It would help if you can easily access Google Docs!

AND finally I know we're way behind on the prize draws, we're catching up on that but at least we're mostly up to date with the judging (which reminds me, I need to get the February photos collected!).

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I do like the time stamps, if nothing else then a this is where I started marker.

The journals are getting a little stale. Maybe changing some of the technical journals to more thematic ones? Like instead of OSL, maybe the journal is "a bright tomorrow" where it's about conveying emotion and ideas instead the use of any certain technique?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'd love to crowdsource new Journals and achievements for sure :) the challenge would then be to wrap them up in some sort of comic book style storyline to make it a little more interesting each month! I would need several new ones though, and maybe the thread can vote on which ones everyone wants to see.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maybe Journal Categories? e.g. for a theme of 'warmth' you could have a technical journal of OSL and a creative journal of 'use a warm colour scheme'.

Just throwing out ideas, I'm happy with the Journals so far (though tbf it's my first Oathing year).

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Zark the Damned posted:

Maybe Journal Categories? e.g. for a theme of 'warmth' you could have a technical journal of OSL and a creative journal of 'use a warm colour scheme'.

Just throwing out ideas, I'm happy with the Journals so far (though tbf it's my first Oathing year).

I like this idea because it would allow newer painters to try their hand at new techniques but it gives an interesting challenge for people who have already got the basics down.

This is my first year of loathing and I have loved it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Your math is off, the last 7 days of the month start after 11:59:59 on the 24th:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

moths posted:

I moths oath one 28mm East Meg Sentinoid by Warlord Games for the Judge Dredd miniatures game

I don't think this actually got accepted from the start of the month, I just wanted to confirm that I'm good to go this month.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

moths posted:

I moths oath one 28mm East Meg Sentinoid by Warlord Games for the Judge Dredd miniatures game

And that's excellent news! Their new Mutant Chronicles stuff looks rad as hell.

moths posted:

I don't think this actually got accepted from the start of the month, I just wanted to confirm that I'm good to go this month.

You're good, sorry - Oath Accepted!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Your math is off, the last 7 days of the month start after 11:59:59 on the 24th:

Bah, well, see, I got this wrong early in the thread and many people corrected me, so I put it in the rules. Can someone who's gooder with things and stuff than me confirm who's right?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
February photo album is here: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/6130198205460913697?authkey=COWIz4yQ8LHgywE

Please check it to make sure your pictures are in there! You have until I get up on Friday morning, at that time I'll send the link to the Judges.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

WhiteOutMouse posted:

krushgroove posted:

The bolded part at the end is what's relevant here. I put those times and example dates in the rules post specifically so I could quote it when folks try to Oath after the deadline. Even though I didn't post a reminder the deadline must still stand, sorry! I know no is trying to cheat or game the system at all, but rules be rules and all that.

Ignore this, I'm an idiot with math (even, apparently, simple subtraction). As noted below:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

So if you want to Oath these you can, however according to the rules you'll need to finish the models by the end of the month as usual. Or you can leave it and not worry about finishing them. Sorry about this stupidity confusion.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

I almost had an out... My brother has been hounding me to get an oath in all month. I will have to do it now. Bastard...

At least I will actually paint this month.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
In that case...

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Oath Accepted!
(just for bookkeeping purposes)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Since I just rebooted the Miniature Painting thread, I figured I may as well carry on the work and start working on the next Oath Thread OP.

The idea of themes is pretty cool and can REALLY open things up creatively for lots of folks, so I've come up with some possible candidates. I was thinking that posting these ahead of time would allow everyone to think well ahead (if you want) and plan your purchasing, conversions, color choices, etc.

Themes (formerly Journals)
May:
June: Summer holidays - something to put us in the mood!
July:
August: Feeling hot! hot! hot! it’s the hottest time of the year! (for most of us, anyway)
September:
October: Halloween! Stick a pumpkin...on your model somewhere!
November: Harvest Time! Oranges and yellows are the theme! ORRR go with Day of the Dead as your theme
December: Holly-Jolly Christmas-time, of course! (or Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Saturnalia or whatever) Red & Green, White or anything family- or holiday-themed!
January: So C-C-Cold! So how about something white and/or blue?
February: Something Short! (because, you know, 29 days or something)
March: Spring is springing! It’s all GREEEEENNNN!!!
April: Moneymoney! Tax time!

etcetera... you get the idea. Some themes are just about the color, some are about specific objects/ideas: pumpkin, holidays, money, whatever.

We do have a few Australians that take part, so I thought the seasonal stuff can be shifted around, such as:
January Summer Holidays
February Feeling Hot
May Harvest Time
July C-C-Cold
September Springtime

I don't know if the Aussies care about this but I know the thread participants are almost entirely in the northern hemisphere and hey it doesn't feel nice to swim against the flow constantly. Problem is, some themes can't move (like Christmas, possibly tax time, Halloween? is that done in Australia?) so I'll leave it to the hard-drinking, croc-wrestling, bush-dwelling Aussies to talk fight amongst themselves and decide if they want to have their own southern hemisphere calendar or just use the one that everyone is doing. I don't mind either way.

What do you guys think? I'm open to ideas and suggestions about the empty months, or better ideas for the months that have a sort of theme already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think October and November can really overlap too much - I'd make October a month to do something spooky, whether it's skeletons, zombies, monsters or what have you.
For July: Patriotism! Display your national pride, or the pride of some fictional country. Would be a great month to paint up banner bearers or what have you.

• Locked thread