Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Foid One posted:

LMAO I just looked this up google maps. This is a SUBURB you ridiculous fail aidsman.

I think you're confusing suburb and neighborhood. Gresham is a suburb, lower Hawthorne is a neighborhood. That's like saying someone who has a garage in Capitol Hill Seattle lives in a suburb because there's trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Pauline Kael posted:

Yeah I'd way rather be sandwiched between the family that screams all the time and I can hear it through paper thin walls and the guy that flushes his toilet 50 times every night and wakes me up. Now THAT's living! You can't get that kind of cultural amenity in a detached home!

dont forget the neighbor upstairs with the rockin subwoofers! unce unce unce unce unce unce

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

I can't sleep unless my neighbors are hatefucking each other within an inch of their lives while vacuuming and ignoring their screaming child

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Pauline Kael posted:

Yeah I'd way rather be sandwiched between the family that screams all the time and I can hear it through paper thin walls and the guy that flushes his toilet 50 times every night and wakes me up. Now THAT's living! You can't get that kind of cultural amenity in a detached home!

lol if you don't live in an upscale condo with foot-thick cement walls

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

which i can afford because i didnt have 4 kids. you guys should try it im in heaven

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

hmm a large building with lots of rooms and cement walls where a bunch of different people live???sounds familiar....

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Lol @ "raise your kids in the suburbs"

the suburbs are the worst place to raise a kid unless you want a sheltered, emotionally stunted wreck of a young adult who believes that everyone is a white upper middle class homeowner and that ribs from applebees are the height of cuisine

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Manslaughter posted:

hmm a large building with lots of rooms and cement walls where a bunch of different people live???sounds familiar....

they're cool people tho -- and none of them are children

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

which i can afford because i didnt have 4 kids. you guys should try it im in heaven

2 kids, 3500 sq ft, 6 acres

sorry you can't afford to live a proper life and have to be packed in a box with a bunch of other faggots

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

A misanthrope posted:

they're cool people tho -- and none of them are children

lol you live in a literal prison by your own free will

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pauline Kael posted:

Yes the only choice is a shitbox that will slowly kill you because it is full of formaldehyde from the chinese drywall and "hardwood floors" in a quiet suburb or a tenement in the city.

The fact is study after study says poverty in the suburbs along with infrastructure costs are skyrocketing and the cities are becoming more and more popular with the more affluent. The suburbs are basically the new ghettos and everyone knows its it but the buyers that are tricked into a "good deal" on the new shitbox built on a swamp.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

lol your life is a hell that you can't escape

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

A misanthrope posted:

lol your life is a hell that you can't escape

shut up retard, he has a project truck

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

Yes the only choice is a shitbox that will slowly kill you because it is full of formaldehyde from the chinese drywall and "hardwood floors" in a quiet suburb or a tenement in the city.

The fact is study after study says poverty in the suburbs along with infrastructure costs are skyrocketing and the cities are becoming more and more popular with the more affluent. The suburbs are basically the new ghettos and everyone knows its it but the buyers that are tricked into a "good deal" on the new shitbox built on a swamp.

Not everyone has a daddy that pays for us to live in a botique condo in the worst city in the US. You realize that dont you? That some (all of us not named Three Olives) of us have to work a job, pay our bills, and make our own way? Given that, I, and most rational adults, make the decision to maximize what's important to us. In many if not most cases, that means buying a detached home in a suburb with a school district that does not doom them to failure, like every single big city school district in the US. Sorry for your inability to understand the way the world works, but congrats on having a dad who does/did

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

Sorry for having a non-anime hobby. I know that's very triggering around here.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

oh poo poo im sorry i didn't know

got any tips for gettin grease stains out of the driveway, pauline? :D

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

can you city folk have a private tennis court and horse stables in your back yard? no didnt think so. oh by the way these houses are probably cheaper than your city condoes and there is a supermarket and a corner store less than a mile away lol

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

A misanthrope posted:

cat litter if the oil is fresh

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

Pauline Kael posted:

2 kids, 3500 sq ft, 6 acres

sorry you can't afford to live a proper life and have to be packed in a box with a bunch of other faggots

I'm worried about you, you doing OK, Pauline?

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
lol to all of the goons in this thread bitching about how stupid suburbanites are when they themselves cannot sort their lives out to the point where they could afford to pay for a house. the jealousy is palpable. fix your poo poo, buy a house, spend your disposable income on tiny plastic spacemen to paint and play with. purchase shelving, you dummy.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

can you city folk have a private tennis court and horse stables in your back yard? no didnt think so. oh by the way these houses are probably cheaper than your city condoes and there is a supermarket and a corner store less than a mile away lol

Don't play tennis, don't like horses, do like art and music and can afford where I live just fine, money/size ratio isn't the only metric I'm working with, you do you I'll do me, nbd :)

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

Asphalt driveway. Only need to worry if the oil leaks onto the key and 3 point arc I laid down with traffic tape

edit: or, alternatively, own a car that doesn't suck. Even the old project truck doesn't leak oil because screwing in the oil pan bolt isn't that complex

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

himajinga posted:

Don't play tennis, don't like horses, do like art and music and can afford where I live just fine, money/size ratio isn't the only metric I'm working with, you do you I'll do me, nbd :)

for the artsy folks this particular suburb is about 20 miles away from where burning man is held so some ppl may consider that a plus hth

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i lived in suburbs and some of the most densely populated cities on earth, both had good and bad points, i prefer cities myself but I'd happily go back to a suburb again in a few years., dunno what the poison is about on both sides here. i bet the goons being most vicious about suburbs actually grew up in them and are projecting hard lol.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

also if i was drunk enough to end up with sprogs I think bringing them up in a city would set them up for life a lot better, but also the risk of them loving up is much higher so i dunno.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Helmholz posted:

lol to all of the goons in this thread bitching about how stupid suburbanites are when they themselves cannot sort their lives out to the point where they could afford to pay for a house. the jealousy is palpable. fix your poo poo, buy a house, spend your disposable income on tiny plastic spacemen to paint and play with. purchase shelving, you dummy.

yeah have like 12 kids and get a mortgage. put an anchor around your neck and chuck it off a pier. put your car in neutral on a steep hill and shut your tie in the door

you fuckin dummies need ot do this like i did or life isnt fairrr

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

opus111 posted:

i lived in suburbs and some of the most densely populated cities on earth, both had good and bad points, i prefer cities myself but I'd happily go back to a suburb again in a few years., dunno what the poison is about on both sides here. i bet the goons being most vicious about suburbs actually grew up in them and are projecting hard lol.

Mostly they're jealous of their former peers and or siblings who have gone on and completed their degrees, found a mate, bought an affordable house together, and are proceeding with their lives. Hell hath no fury like a goon, scorned

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

A misanthrope posted:

yeah have like 12 kids and get a mortgage. put an anchor around your neck and chuck it off a pier. put your car in neutral on a steep hill and shut your tie in the door

friend, i think you should quit your job at the chcoolate factory and get some sleep.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

A misanthrope posted:

Your life sounds like a real adventure! You should post about it!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knyteguy posted:

can you city folk have a private tennis court? no didnt think so.

Yes. :colbert:

I played basketball out there with a neighbor on Sunday.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Everyone here is freaking deluded with their life choices.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Lol @ "raise your kids in the suburbs"

the suburbs are the worst place to raise a kid unless you want a sheltered, emotionally stunted wreck of a young adult who believes that everyone is a white upper middle class homeowner and that ribs from applebees are the height of cuisine

Big city kids can be just as culturally boring and dead. They just happen to know how to, ride trains, avoid getting mugged/stabbed, hit the video game arcade. It's not like they will start liking museums, history, art, and music festivals or whatever. People in Tokyo, New York and LA might dress more fashionable but people can still be as ignorant/boring as anyone else.

I enjoyed Washington DC with all it's hipster restaurants and museums, but the residents there can be even more vile and racist in subtle ways compared to your KKK redneck.

As for exposure to fancy cuisine or foreign, that's what vacations are for. Or try cooking your own food I guess because your kitchen is big enough, and your fridge is actually big enough to stock up on items. Daily grocery trips loving suck and that's even counting going to some over priced farmer's market. Can't really prep food for bigger crowds and house parties as well.

God drat it, give me a Costco

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Pauline Kael posted:

Your life sounds like a real adventure! You should post about it!

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
don't work die poor.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

Yes. :colbert:

I played basketball out there with a neighbor on Sunday.

How is that private? You share it with how many thousands of people? By that measure, the suburb I live in affords me 2 giant pools, several golf courses, riding/biking/snowmobiling trails, waterfalls, boating on 2 big rivers, a community center with and indoor pool and multiple basketball courts, and so on

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Spaghetti Man, indeed

edit: wait, jesus hf christ, is that a birth control patch on that poor stuffed animal?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pauline Kael posted:

How is that private? You share it with how many thousands of people? By that measure, the suburb I live in affords me 2 giant pools, several golf courses, riding/biking/snowmobiling trails, waterfalls, boating on 2 big rivers, a community center with and indoor pool and multiple basketball courts, and so on

What a freaking sprawl. Cool if you have a car though. Not cool if you got to mow the lawn all the time

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

caberham posted:

hit the video game arcade

I'm a time traveler from 1995 AMA

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pauline Kael posted:

How is that private? You share it with how many thousands of people?

Thousands? What? There are maybe 80 people that live in my building full time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

I'm a time traveler from 1995 AMA

Arcades and public transportation are just poo poo in North America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

opus111 posted:

I'll freely admit that I grew up in a suburb and having lived there decided it wasn't for me. No big deal, tried it, didn't like it, did something else that I like better.

Pauline Kael posted:

Mostly they're jealous of their former peers and or siblings who have gone on and completed their degrees, found a mate, bought an affordable house together, and are proceeding with their lives. Hell hath no fury like a goon, scorned

My real gripe is this nonsense like I have some secret desire to move to the suburbs that I won't cop to because there's some screw-up on my part that is preventing me from doing so and that moving to the suburbs it is the only natural and desirable outcome for anyone. I have a mate, an advanced degree, a well paying job, and a life I really really enjoy and am saving up to buy a house in the city, I just prefer living in the city and there is not an ounce of my being that would prefer living in the suburbs. It's really not that big of a deal. You want to live in the suburbs? Cool. Not what I would pick but we value different things, which is totally fine. It's this weird implication that I secretly am jealous of people in suburbs because they "have it all figured out" and spend less money for more space as if whoever pays the least per square foot wins or whatever that chaps my rear end. I'm sure it's the same thing with city folk implying that suburbanites are all anti-culture rednecks that gave up.

• Locked thread