Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Justin Tyme posted:

owning a house just means you are compensating for your penis size or falling to some *insert marxist gobbeldy gook here* american dream blah blah and isn't at all a sign of financial stability or anything

"owning" anything whether it be a boat, house, motorcycle, car, etc isn't a TRUE sign of worth, let me tell you why my extensive anime collection that takes up 75% of my studio apartment that I can barely make end's meet in makes me a superior man in today's society

m'lady, please step over the passed out vagrant in the hall. Can't you just smell the culture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Devil Wears Wings posted:

going "blah blah blah lol marxism" doesn't make something less true

Are you arguing that home ownership is an inverse indicator of financial stability? Or that homeowners have smaller penises than people who cannot afford homes? Can you show us on the doll where the suburbs touched you?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

going "blah blah blah lol marxism" doesn't make something less true

it is really, really, really hard to not see people who rag on homeowners or people who enjoy expensive hobbies such as cars as being anything else other than purely envious, deep down

same reason why bird-chested boys get grossed out by not even grotesquely large/more aesthetic bodybuilders, they know that they'd love to have that body but it's easier in their mind to just knock them down.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Pauline Kael posted:

Are you arguing that home ownership is an inverse indicator of financial stability? Or that homeowners have smaller penises than people who cannot afford homes? Can you show us on the doll where the suburbs touched you?

it's ok, not all of us have given up our hopes and dreams for domestic bliss and a half acre lawn

there's still time to join us

you can fly once again, Pauline Kael

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Pauline Kael posted:

TO - how much do you spend on Uber?

Not much, I walk most places because I live in the city and not the suburbs.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Justin Tyme posted:

it is really, really, really hard to not see people who rag on homeowners or people who enjoy expensive hobbies such as cars as being anything else other than purely envious, deep down

same reason why bird-chested boys get grossed out by not even grotesquely large/more aesthetic bodybuilders, they know that they'd love to have that body but it's easier in their mind to just knock them down.

Goku could totally kick that guys rear end
:goonsay:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

FYI it's not the city dwellers who have been getting defensive ITT

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

Not much, I walk most places because I live in the city and not the suburbs.

Do you have a driver's license? Or is that too mainstream for you?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

counterpoint: there is literally no place in the suburbs where you would be able to pick up women (single moms don't count)

The women you pick up in the city also don't count because they are just biding their time with you until they meet the rich man who can actually afford a decent sized place in the city. When they get old and give up, they settle... well used.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

FYI it's not the city dwellers who have been getting defensive ITT

Like any mainstream thing such as "thinking America isn't such a bad place", the majority opinion is the one being defended in most threads.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

it's ok, not all of us have given up our hopes and dreams for domestic bliss and a half acre lawn

there's still time to join us

you can fly once again, Pauline Kael

your hopes and dreams are a crock of poo poo, give up.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Justin Tyme posted:

Like any mainstream thing such as "thinking America isn't such a bad place", the majority opinion is the one being defended in most threads.

Right, because the only place these types can flourish is online. In any sort of face to face setting, their feelings and opinions are discounted because of their grotesque nature and off-putting odor

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Pauline Kael posted:

m'lady, please step over the passed out vagrant in the hall. Can't you just smell the culture?

*hears neighbor flushes toilet in adjacent apartment*
*can almost hear the excrement flowing through the pipes a few feet from your ears*

For real though not all burbs are severly isolated from everything

That's a 7-11, recycled clothes store, Pizza Hut, and tanning booth within about 5 minutes walking distance. Across the street there is a local sports bar, a locally owned pizza joint, a Goodwill, a few fast food joints, etc. There's also about 5 open acres left for commercial development.

Kitty corner to that, there's a grocery store, a locally owned gas station (franchise but the owners work there), a local sandwich shop, a local Chinese place, a local bar and grill, and the shell of a Blockbuster.

Also I don't own a pool table, a motorcycle, none of that stuff (as much as I want to). Hell my wife and I share a Toyota Corolla and I sometimes bike to work. However I do like the fact that living out here I have the option to have those things if I want to.

in conclusion basically if you dont like the suburbs you hate freedom gb2 europe you communist swine

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I live in a city where it's actually cheaper to live Downtown in a nice apartment than it would be to live in a similar apartment in the suburb.

My city has a huge problem with people being afraid of Downtown so it's pretty much abandoned by the middle class.

I live in a remodeled and refurbished office building that was built in 1905 so I get high ceilings and solid insulation.

I am also a neighbour to a strip club on one side and a subway on the otherside.

White people being afraid is probably the best thing ever if you learn to take advantage of it

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pauline Kael posted:

What are you talking about? You know there are nice places in the city right? My neighborhood starts in like the $200 a sqft range or just slightly more than a decent suburban house, you just have to get a townhouse instead of a McMansion or a nice condo.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

*can almost hear the excrement flowing through the pipes a few feet from your ears*

That's a 7-11, recycled clothes store, Pizza Hut, and tanning booth within about 5 minutes walking distance. Across the street there is a local sports bar, a locally owned pizza joint, a Goodwill, a few fast food joints, etc. There's also about 5 open acres left for commercial development.

Kitty corner to that, there's a grocery store, a locally owned gas station (franchise but the owners work there), a local sandwich shop, a local Chinese place, a local bar and grill, and the shell of a Blockbuster.

Also I don't own a pool table, a motorcycle, none of that stuff (as much as I want to). Hell my wife and I share a Toyota Corolla and I sometimes bike to work. However I do like the fact that living out here I have the option to have those things if I want to.

in conclusion basically if you dont like the suburbs you hate freedom gb2 europe you communist swine

Well honestly that hood looks like poo poo, friend. I'd rather live somewhere like Cary, NC. One of the best areas I've been to that made me think I'd actually not mind living there forever. Some people mix up "suburbs" with "towns". I agree, towns are poo poo and boring. Suburbs are the best of both worlds- live in a house, have a city center to have fun with.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Jesus loving Christ

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Kitty corner

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

your hopes and dreams are a crock of poo poo, give up.

they're Peter Pan. Cant attract a mate, or have any skills that the market values enough to get out of section 8 housing, so they're stuck where they are, and have constructed an elaborate fantasy around how cool THEY are and how square the rest of us and our fancy wives/houses/cars/hobbies are. You haven't lived if you have to DRIVE to work or even OWN a car.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

This is what hell looks like.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Knyteguy posted:

a locally owned gas station (franchise but the owners work there),

lol, who gives a poo poo, gas is still probably tainted with the blood of a middle eastern goat herder who just wanted to herd his goats and occasionally gently caress them at night until the man found oil under his shed.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Knyteguy posted:

hey babe lets go back to my 20 sq/ft apartment with anime posters

or

hey babe lets go back to my awesome house where i have dirt bikes a pool table a bar and a garage plus we can be as noisy as we want loving

you haven't lived until you bring a girl to your new bachelor apartment with nothing but a mattress on the floor and a towel taped over the window and still seal the deal. no one gives a poo poo when they're young. plus your neighbors don't care cause you know them and they're friends, if you are lucky

conversely a girl might be weirded out if you drive her 30 minutes in your van to El Rancho Relaxo complete with wood panelled basement in the middle of loving nowhere where his closest neighbors wouldn't notice or care if you chained her to a radiator

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

I live in a city where it's actually cheaper to live Downtown in a nice apartment than it would be to live in a similar apartment in the suburb.

My city has a huge problem with people being afraid of Downtown so it's pretty much abandoned by the middle class.

I live in a remodeled and refurbished office building that was built in 1905 so I get high ceilings and solid insulation.

I am also a neighbour to a strip club on one side and a subway on the otherside.

White people being afraid is probably the best thing ever if you learn to take advantage of it

Definitely opposite of where I live, low 4 digits for anything fun looking downtown and much cheaper the further you get.

I think there might be some exaggerations on both sides of the aisle itt

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Three Olives posted:

What are you talking about? You know there are nice places in the city right? My neighborhood starts in like the $200 a sqft range or just slightly more than a decent suburban house, you just have to get a townhouse instead of a McMansion or a nice condo.

Thanks Dad! I'll have to remind myself to be born to wealthy parents next time.

BTW, $200 a sq ft you can build a really nice house, with your own plan, on your own land.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Fun facts that will amaze posters in this thread:

- Most people in the city drive a car
- There are houses in cities, that people own and live in. Lots of them in fact
- If you live in the suburbs you are still legally allowed to enter the nearest city
- You can live in both the suburbs and the city at different points in your life

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Fun facts that will amaze posters in this thread:

- Most people in the city drive a car
- There are houses in cities, that people own and live in. Lots of them in fact
- If you live in the suburbs you are still legally allowed to enter the nearest city
- You can live in both the suburbs and the city at different points in your life

yes there are many misconceptions

I think what a lot of people are calling "suburbs" are actually just really small towns isolated from anything else, like those little towns off the highway in the midwest with a single cobblestone road of businesses. When I think suburb, I think somewhere that is mainly houses and commercial space that is still within a 20 minute drive of all the fun bars and stuff downtown in a large city, so it's confusing why people would have such strong opinions. I again want to bring up the example of Cary, NC. A suburb of Raleigh, but a wonderful town in itself.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I don't like the loud noises in the city

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Justin Tyme posted:

yes there are many misconceptions

I think what a lot of people are calling "suburbs" are actually just really small towns isolated from anything else, like those little towns off the highway in the midwest with a single cobblestone road of businesses. When I think suburb, I think somewhere that is mainly houses and commercial space that is still within a 20 minute drive of all the fun bars and stuff downtown in a large city, so it's confusing why people would have such strong opinions. I again want to bring up the example of Cary, NC. A suburb of Raleigh, but a wonderful town in itself.

Cary is very nice. Worked for a company that had a big NOC there, used to love going there.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

Definitely opposite of where I live, low 4 digits for anything fun looking downtown and much cheaper the further you get.

I think there might be some exaggerations on both sides of the aisle itt

yeah no doubt, the difference is that the city folk ITT claim that the suburbs are boring cultural wastelands (which, let's face it, a lot of them are) while the suburbanites accuse anyone who enjoys living in the city of being either a goony anime loving manchild or a hipster human being, and oh by the way you are literally guilty of child neglect if you raise your kids in an apartment

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Three Olives posted:

This is what hell looks like.

As a Millennial I posted:

Jesus loving Christ

Knyteguy posted:

also you dumb idiots i wasnt trying to post a glamour shot of my neighbors house because hes dead so no upkeep happens until the bank takes it i mean cmon i obviously say how close everything was

let me give you a better look at my backyard which is more in line with what i may consider a cool picture to show off suburbia

Al Nipper posted:

you haven't lived until you bring a girl to your new bachelor apartment with nothing but a mattress on the floor and a towel taped over the window and still seal the deal. no one gives a poo poo when they're young. plus your neighbors don't care cause you know them and they're friends, if you are lucky

conversely a girl might be weirded out if you drive her 30 minutes in your van to El Rancho Relaxo complete with wood panelled basement in the middle of loving nowhere where his closest neighbors wouldn't notice or care if you chained her to a radiator

but i have

except now im an adult and bring a chick home to bone on a nice memory foam pillow top mattress and thats way better since im not 19 years old again

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

yeah no doubt, the difference is that the city folk ITT claim that the suburbs are boring cultural wastelands (which, let's face it, a lot of them are) while the suburbanites accuse anyone who enjoys living in the city of being either a goony anime loving manchild or a hipster human being, and oh by the way you are literally guilty of child neglect if you raise your kids in an apartment

It's not raising kids in an apartment that's child neglect, it's sending them to public schools in the City that is.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
That is rural as poo poo, if anything that is a "small town", not the suburbs

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Knyteguy posted:

also you dumb idiots i wasnt trying to post a glamour shot of my neighbors house because hes dead so no upkeep happens until the bank takes it i mean cmon i obviously say how close everything was

let me give you a better look at my backyard which is more in line with what i may consider a cool picture to show off suburbia

but i have

except now im an adult and bring a chick home to bone on a nice memory foam pillow top mattress and thats way better since im not 19 years old again

Gorgeous! Can you shoot out back

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Magnitogorsk. posted:

That is rural as poo poo, if anything that is a "small town", not the suburbs

500,000 people 10 minutes away

Pauline Kael posted:

Gorgeous! Can you shoot out back

thanks yep all over the place

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

That's not a suburb, that's rural (rural owns)

actually small town might be a more accurate descriptor

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

500,000 people 10 minutes away

thanks yep all over the place

Yeah but I doubt the downtown area of said 500,000 is 10 minutes away unless just out of frame you can see skyscrapers or something.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

You live in a depressing wasteland.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 18, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah but I doubt the downtown area of said 500,000 is 10 minutes away unless just out of frame you can see skyscrapers or something.

probably more like 20 minutes away from the main downtown

Manslaughter posted:

That's not a suburb, that's rural (rural owns)

actually small town might be a more accurate descriptor

i agree rural is nice, but it's definitely not rural we have bumper-to-bumper traffic to get into the city, and no one here considers this area a small town. we have no separate post office and were still within city limits. most people commute into the city. there's just a whole lot of blm land so the suburb butts right up against cool places like that. i dunno maybe its a non traditional suburb. a non cis burb if you would

three olives you live in texas do i need to say more or what

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I wish I could afford to live in a city instead of these nasty half-abandoned suburbs full of pill heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

probably more like 20 minutes away from the main downtown

i agree rural is nice, but it's definitely not rural we have bumper-to-bumper traffic to get into the city, and no one here considers this area a small town. we have no separate post office and were still within city limits. most people commute into the city. there's just a whole lot of blm land so the suburb butts right up against cool places like that. i dunno maybe its a non traditional suburb. a non cis burb if you would

three olives you live in texas do i need to say more or what

Just not a fan of the desert I guess, kinda hard to make it look anything other than barren given the definition of what a desert is

• Locked thread