Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

enraged_camel posted:

The only thing that makes me mad about this episode is the rekindled Barry-Iris romance. I think I actually threw my hands up and yelled WHAT THE gently caress BARRY YOU IDIOT when they kissed.

Everything else was swell, though. I'm loving the pacing.

Hey man, Barry's had those blue balls for like a decade.

(not condoning his behavior)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My dumb theory (sorry if I missed a similar one): There is an alternate or "original" timeline where Barry's dad is the Flash. Harrison was attempting to kill Barry because this death was what inspired the original Flash to become a hero, and he believed he needed this Flash's power. Because of time-fuckery, he ends up accidentally causing Barry to become the Flash instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VDay posted:

If you want a comic book-y explanation, then just pretend that that wasn't actually "real" lightning, but just the best version of a lightning bolt that the weather wizard could create and direct.

Personally I don't mind the consistently inconsistent approach to Barry's speed. I think putting some arbitrary number on it would provide the same benefit as having it be a mystery while adding a bunch of writing/storytelling challenges. And as people have mentioned before, there is pretty much always going to be a "Why doesn't Barry just go a little faster" problem to every challenge he faces because if there wasn't then he would just win in 2 seconds every time.

Oh I don't care, the scene just made me curious as to how fast lightning was.

I thought the effect was very cool, as usual.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 19, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The "lightning" was actually a third time traveling Barry.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Wouldn't be the first time they made Barry a lightning strike.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

One thing I hope they start showing is news reports about people witnessing random, strange events, such as a storm cloud following a single car and zapping it with lightning, then disappearing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I just watched it. Amazing how they do this kind of season-finale-worthy stuff as a return from break. I mean I get that it's more or less the start of an arc so the major stuff essentially "doesn't count" but still holy moly.

Like others, I had a hunch what they were going for as soon as they showed the dogs barking and the sign spinner and Taxi Tits, but I didn't think they were going to return to it in the same episode.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Can I get another amen for Blake Neely and the background score because drat
Valdez and Cavanaugh obviously killed it but man the slow tragic strings really took it to another level. Incredible scene.

edit: I too found the security photo of Wells inexplicably hilarious. Just the way he's sort of creepily hunched over as he trundles along looking up to no good had this air of goofiness to it

Hazo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 19, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My stepdaughter during tonight's episode - "Why doesn't Barry just forget both of them and date Felicity?"

And welp, guess I really do need to sit down and binge Spartacus now. The spot-on casting for the Rogues so far has been a loving bolt from the blue.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Am I the only one who didn't notice that woman's breasts? She has three breast related nicknames in this thread already and it took me until this one to figure out who you were all talking about. Not chiding you guys, just surprised as i'm normally more atuned to that sort of stuff.

On topic though, controversial opinion here, that was a good episode. They played all of the plot explosions just subtly enough that it wasn't instantly obvious that they would be undone. Most shows overdo their worst timelines and they have no impact as a result, I was believing this one was possible right up until the end. Question time: Would anyone have liked the episode more if Barry hadn't gone back in time? I'm torn between being angry about the retcon and excited about the time travel to come. I would happily watch a spin off series in which the Tsunami hit CC and Barry had to deal with crime in a disaster zone for the rest of the season without police or STAR labs back-up, but Groundhog Day sounds cool too.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

enraged_camel posted:

One thing I hope they start showing is news reports about people witnessing random, strange events, such as a storm cloud following a single car and zapping it with lightning, then disappearing.

Yeah, metas (in general, not just Barry) should be public knowledge by now, but no one seems to be too bothered by any of it.

Magna
Sep 3, 2007
I was expecting Wells to vibro-slap Sisco to death.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Krad posted:

Yeah, metas (in general, not just Barry) should be public knowledge by now, but no one seems to be too bothered by any of it.

It's especially weird when the one person who seemed to be blogging about it got a job as a reporter and still keeps it under wraps. I mean I know they want her writing about The Flash but I'm sure if she told them about any other metas theyd be like "yes, do that"

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
He's outrun lightning before by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlR7U8OZfsk

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to look in the Arrow thread because I can't watch the episode just now, but it looks like it didn't even make 40 posts :stare:

My rational for this one is that wasn't real lightning either. I mean Barry was literally trying to hide from this guy so he could ELECTROCUTE himself, otherwise he would just ask Blackout for a quick topup

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

It's kind of amazing thinking back on this now... Thawne must have really tried hard to act slow while watching this in super speedovision

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Valeyard posted:

I don't want to look in the Arrow thread because I can't watch the episode just now, but it looks like it didn't even make 40 posts :stare:

I can't watch it until tomorrow, but I imagine no matter what Arrow does it's going to look tame next to Out of Time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

My stepdaughter during tonight's episode - "Why doesn't Barry just forget both of them and date Felicity?"

And welp, guess I really do need to sit down and binge Spartacus now. The spot-on casting for the Rogues so far has been a loving bolt from the blue.

Heat Wave is apparently in the spin-off now as well. I think mostly because Purcell and Miller just adore working together.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I dont know posted:

I can't watch it until tomorrow, but I imagine no matter what Arrow does it's going to look tame next to Out of Time.

Not as epic, but the ending is both hilarious and unexpected.

Also Lazarus Pits confirmed

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Xealot posted:

In seriousness, I'm waiting for the plot where adult Wally West travels back in time and becomes Eskimo brothers with his uncle.

"Who's this hot Asian girl who works with Aunt Iris? Is she cool?"

(Does Iris have any biological siblings in this show? Is Wally going to be Barry's son? Or, maybe Eddie's son from an alternate timeline?)

Most likely Iris' cousin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Valeyard posted:

That's about how many live posts it usually gets. A page to a page and half. This thread usually gets a page and half or so. I think last night's episode was about two pages due to the increased number of posts in the last few minutes. These threads get much more traffic after episodes than during.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Gaz-L posted:

Heat Wave is apparently in the spin-off now as well. I think mostly because Purcell and Miller just adore working together.

How awesome would it be if they pulled off a "52" with the new spin-off show, following the lives of the secondary characters until the main shows start back up again. And since there's time travel shenanigans already, they could even have the same main bad guy as in the comic! Bring on Mr. Mind.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

That's about how many live posts it usually gets. A page to a page and half. This thread usually gets a page and half or so. I think last night's episode was about two pages due to the increased number of posts in the last few minutes. These threads get much more traffic after episodes than during.

Oh ok cool. I didn't realise until last night that the shows aired so early, I've just never noticed the threads during the live showings

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Carlos Valdez owned that scene, and it was incredible watching him and Cavanaugh push their acting games to the limit for it.

Wow.

I'm really impressed with how strong some of the acting has been on this show. It really grounds the characters despite all the crazy poo poo happening.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

This show is making me hate my friends IRL because they don't watch it and I can't talk about it

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Xealot posted:

That must be why Joe was reduced to a gelatin, accelerating from 0 to 200,000 mph in a fraction of a second.

(The answer is Speed Force. The answer is always Speed Force.)

That actually totally is the answer in this scenario.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Viginti posted:

Am I the only one who didn't notice that woman's breasts?

I'm surprised we dont have a few gifs and the actress' IMDb by now, to be honest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hiddenriverninja posted:

This show is making me hate my friends IRL because they don't watch it and I can't talk about it

Your friends suck. Vibrate your hand through each of their chests.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

That actually totally is the answer in this scenario.

"Speed Force" is the "Hulk Gets Angrier" of the DC comics world.

Also holy poo poo that episode. It's cool as gently caress until Zoom reveals himself to actually be Eobard Thawne and then everything goes off the rails gloriously.

Cisco though. Maybe he'll internalize the death strike through some crazy way and turn into Vibe? :gbsmith:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rhyno posted:

Your friends suck. Vibrate your hand through each of their chests.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Which is as it should be. The more liveposts a show gets, the most dumbposts it gets later from liveposters not noticing basic poo poo happening in the episode because they were POSTING INSTEAD OF WATCHING IT.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

McSpanky posted:

Which is as it should be. The more liveposts a show gets, the most dumbposts it gets later from liveposters not noticing basic poo poo happening in the episode because they were POSTING INSTEAD OF WATCHING IT.

A perfect summary of The Walking Dead thread.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Cisco hadn't gotten to the point of thinking about what to do if Eobard let him live. He just wanted to survive. :(

He knew he was dead from the moment he heard "...some would say I'm... the reverse."

Even that line was purely sarcastic jab at Cisco, given Cisco's penchant for naming villains. A game indeed Tom.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's probably more cause Arrow is Olly brooding and love triangles 24/7. He's just low rent Batman. This show however has been much better than it had any right to be.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I just felt kinda bad cause I was like "drat, every single time Vibe ends up getting killed in some weird rear end way".

Comics? Oh, just choked to death by detachable robot hands. Tv show? Oh, no powers, just a sad scene where he gets his heart all kajibbered by a speedster.

He was always the sort of hero who SHOULD have been cool, but yet, was annoying enough you wanted him to die.

Cisco is awesome though, and he needs to hang around. That's pretty much the main reason I'm ok with the mini reboot.

Still, massively pissed that they went with iris/barry instead of linda/barry, cause it seems like those 2 have way better on screen chemistry.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I still think that his death is temporary. Barry traveled to the past, remember.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh yea, he's gonna be back in the next episode. No question of that.

Just seems like the character is fated to die at least once per medium he gets added to. All that's left is for him to get murdered in the JL movie and the cycle will be complete.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I just Hulu'd the show and holy crap that was some of the finest television I have ever witnessed. I actually thought the show was going to end before it did which was an unexpected treat. How can they fit that much into 42 minutes blew my mind.

I watched it and then re watched it with my wife. I am a grown rear end man giggling for the final 2 minutes of the show. CW what have you done to me? Did I see right that when he punches through time he is in night time but when he was running the first time it was day light?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think it was night time in both.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It was night both times, but (as we found over in the Agents of Shield thread a few weeks ago) sometimes the brain plays tricks and auto-adjusts when it comes to memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh yea, he's gonna be back in the next episode. No question of that.

Just seems like the character is fated to die at least once per medium he gets added to. All that's left is for him to get murdered in the JL movie and the cycle will be complete.

How did he die in JLU?

• Locked thread