Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The one thing I'd really like to see in a stream is a screenshot of what's available at the starting vendor. Can I buy a gun? A frilly fancyhat?
Unlikely that you can buy a gun. They are more expansive than other ranged weapons. so I think it's likely that you don't find guns in the early game like plate armor and you only find guns after you find fine weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
What the gently caress is this thread title? Is it a reference to something specific?

or are goons just being creepy obsessive weirdos as per usual?

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

What the gently caress is this thread title? Is it a reference to something specific?

it's a reference to this post of the project lead:

quote:

That's genuinely cool, but we didn't Kickstart a game called gently caress You: Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG Experience where I do whatever I personally think is sound and neat and good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sensuki posted:

Eughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what the christ - who's idea was it to slow all recovery while moving? I thought we were over that "trying everything we possibly can to penalize people who move around/play mobile characters" stage after paused recovery was removed.
Let's all observe a moment of silence for man defense in PoE

Fun as it would be to play melee pinball, this is a smart way to make endless kiting less imminently practical. It's certainly not going to prevent anyone in particular from devolving PoE's design into Sword Coast Stratagem cheese through the power of mods, that's for sure

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

I don't think this has been posted: the backing level to Steam editions mappings:

As someone who "backed" post-kickstarter for $35 on the website like a year ago, this doesn't effect me, right?

edit: oh "hero edition" just means piglet and pledge ring. I hope I get the piggy at least.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 19, 2015

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Basic Chunnel posted:

Let's all observe a moment of silence for man defense in PoE

Fun as it would be to play melee pinball, this is a smart way to make endless kiting less imminently practical. It's certainly not going to prevent anyone in particular from devolving PoE's design into Sword Coast Stratagem cheese through the power of mods, that's for sure

Are you kidding man? This won't do jack to prevent kiting. When recovery while moving was paused, you could kite melee enemies into infinity because they'd have to wait until they stopped to even start recovering - now you can do something similar because their recovery is slowed while they're running.

If you want to kite enemies in this game it's not hard - get ONE fast character and run around in circles, and have five guys off to the side with ranged weapons. As long as you don't draw them too close to your musketeers they won't get targeted - that's the most efficient way to kite and this does nothing but hurt the enemies you're kiting even more hahah, oh dear.

There was already engagement, and ranged movement recovery penalties (which I both hate, even though I suggested the second one just to get paused recovery removed) - now this. Supreme Overkill and probably detrimental in several edge cases.

I'd love to know the reason why it was added in, because I'm pretty baffled by it.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 19, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Oh my god yesssss!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That bloody slaughter skills says it kicks in when enemies have 'low' endurance. Is it just low, med, high levels of things, so at ~35% of max endurance? Less than 50%?

And just because I'm dumb, Endurance is the 'shield' of health before actually getting to 'health' health, right?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 19, 2015

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Nah, Endurance and Health get attacked at the same time. It's 1-1 damage, although I think if you get Petrified it's like x4 to both or something.

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015
Wizard can have a lot of fun with Savage assault as well, stack up Eldritch Aim (+30acc), Merciless Gaze (10? or 20%? Hit to Crit) and a Fan of flames and everyone in the AoE gets critically hit for 80-120 Fire Damage.
I think my best cast so far probably did over 600dmg admittedly at the cost of 3 spells, though you can substitute the Merciless gaze for the Priests AoE Hit -> Crit spell if you want to spread it around.

As it is it's probably balanced at least for Wizards as it requires a couple of spells to fully utilize. Depending on the enemies you can probably do it with less spells or split the cost around the group ie Druid debuff to DEF, Priest Hit -> Crit etc

Or just use Sensuki's approach of a Debuff followed by an attack spell, that'll work but you'll tend to only Crit some of the targets not all of them. Also using the Wizard you could possibly work out which defences the enemies are weakest against and switch to an AoE spell that targets that one which may allow you to pull off a fair number of Crits with just one spell.

Aeonsim fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 19, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Getting our keys early doesn't mean the game unlocks early for backers, I assume.

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Dreylad posted:

Getting our keys early doesn't mean the game unlocks early for backers, I assume.

Probably not I suspect it just means we can start preloading.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Aeonsim posted:

As it is it's probably balanced at least for Wizards as it requires a couple of spells to fully utilize. Depending on the enemies you can probably do it with less spells or split the cost around the group ie Druid debuff to DEF, Priest Hit -> Crit etc

It's kind of sad that Wizards need to buff to get the same damage as a Druid though, and they have the same amount of spells/day.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Don't they serve different roles and have different abilities? If that's the case I don't think it's bad or sad at all.

Aeonsim posted:

Probably not I suspect it just means we can start preloading.

but maybe we'll have the reading materials...at least the manual and whatnot. :negative:

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Sensuki posted:

It's kind of sad that Wizards need to buff to get the same damage as a Druid though, and they have the same amount of spells/day.

Possibly I'm not sure how big the difference is though, I was getting 90-100% Crits with the buffs (everyone in the AoE), while with the debuf you were getting 50%, and the Damage I was getting was 90-130 while at least in your screen shot the amount was a bit lower.

But yeah it is a bit sad that in general the Druid spells tend to have a bit higher DMG than the wizard's.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Drifter posted:

^^^ - Don't they serve different roles and have different abilities? If that's the case I don't think it's bad or sad at all.

but maybe we'll have the reading materials...at least the manual and whatnot. :negative:

Not really, there's a lot of overlap. Druids have large AoEs and very high damage. Wizards have a larger spell list but access to less of them at a time. Their spell damage is usually a lot less than the Druid and the AoEs are always smaller. You burn through more spells trying to have an impact. However they have Slicken, which is their best spell (and it's a level 1 ability).

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Drifter posted:

This. I want the almanac and collectors book almost more than the game.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

prometheus12345 posted:

Unlikely that you can buy a gun. They are more expansive than other ranged weapons. so I think it's likely that you don't find guns in the early game like plate armor and you only find guns after you find fine weapons.

That seems really weird if so, since a lot of people will want to base their characters around gunplay. That would be more in line with the old timey rpg attitude where you cautiously include guns in your game but you're terrified of making them too good, so you have them do 1d8 damage and take 7 rounds to reload.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

willing to settle posted:

That seems really weird if so, since a lot of people will want to base their characters around gunplay. That would be more in line with the old timey rpg attitude where you cautiously include guns in your game but you're terrified of making them too good, so you have them do 1d8 damage and take 7 rounds to reload.

Eh, I can see it though. Josh said at one point in this thread that "you're basically always finding plate mail one quality level lower than all the other gear you're finding" (that's a slight paraphrase from memory" and it wouldn't surprise me if it's also true of guns. Would explain why in the beta it seems like plate mail and guns are just better than everything else; guns *are* the best weapons, better than hunting bows etc., but you're as likely to find a normal gun as a Fine quality hunting bow or w/e, so in terms of loot found / level they're "even."

And in practice that would keep plate mail and guns "rare." You could keep high-quality guns and plate in your party but you'd have to have the requisite enchanting materials and put in the extra work.

Riven posted:

I kinda want the guidebook from Dark Horse but I have no idea at all what stores in my area might even be carrying it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Riven posted:

Wow, wow, wow, let's not get carried away here.

Although I really loving want the Almanac, that Dark Horse book and Avellone novella too.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not to belabor the point but

Granted you could make an inquiry as to whether it works the way it says it does for the purposes of bugfixing, but what the talent is supposed to do is crystal clear

No, this is weak writing. The "all crits" part comes after a "some hits" phrase which makes it able to be interpreted as either a counter to that ("some hits against low endurance enemies but all crits to low Endurance enemies") or starting an unrelated clause ("some hits against low endurance enemies and also all crits to all enemies"). That muddies the relationship of the second clause to the first. It would be made clear by changing the second half to "...and all crits against those targets do additional damage.", which is not the way it is implemented in game it seems, or "...and crits to all enemies do additional damage." That would be crystal clear.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Whats wrong with you

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

MartianAgitator posted:

No, this is weak writing. The "all crits" part comes after a "some hits" phrase which makes it able to be interpreted as either a counter to that ("some hits against low endurance enemies but all crits to low Endurance enemies") or starting an unrelated clause ("some hits against low endurance enemies and also all crits to all enemies"). That muddies the relationship of the second clause to the first. It would be made clear by changing the second half to "...and all crits against those targets do additional damage.", which is not the way it is implemented in game it seems, or "...and crits to all enemies do additional damage." That would be crystal clear.

Unfortunately, a lot of the tooltips and cyclopedia entries are a little bit like that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So my pledge is confirmed. At this point what happens? Will they e-mail people their keys?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

calm down

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

willing to settle posted:

Which of course is funny because guns coexisted with melee weapons for centuries and didn't completely supplant stabby things until relatively recently.

Man I still don't know if I want to make a gun psychic or a gun Paladin.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Eej posted:

Which of course is funny because guns coexisted with melee weapons for centuries and didn't completely supplant stabby things until relatively recently.

My monk is gonna shoot things whilst running up to punch things.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
The producer of PoE posted that they will likely make all the digital rewards available for download on Mon/Tue. So we will be able to read the guidebook, etc. while waiting for the actual game release.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Eej posted:

I'm doing blunderbuss gun psychic diplomat/benevolent for my first run through and then may do a bleak walker All-Aggressive arquebus paladin for my second.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

MartianAgitator posted:

No, this is weak writing.
Yeah, this is my error. I'll clarify the language and have Tim change the effectt. It's intended to be extra Crit damage against targets with low End.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I

Furism posted:

Wow, wow, wow, let's not get carried away here.

Although I really loving want the Almanac, that Dark Horse book and Avellone novella too.
I said almost. I backed at the Signed Retail Collector level. My $250 has been waiting long enough! Cloth map! Schnell!

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

rope kid posted:

Yeah, this is my error. I'll clarify the language and have Tim change the effectt. It's intended to be extra Crit damage against targets with low End.

Why'd y'all have to point it out :argh:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Riven posted:

I

I said almost. I backed at the Signed Retail Collector level. My $250 has been waiting long enough! Cloth map! Schnell!

Ah, this day I hold my manhood cheap, for I have no cloth map =(

I still have my old cloth map from the Ultima Online collector's edition.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

poo poo, I should have shut up! But thanks for the clarification!

E:

I'm doing blunderbuss gun psychic diplomat/benevolent for my first run through and then may do a bleak walker All-Aggressive arquebus paladin for my second.

You really love shooting at things don't you? I must admit I'm very tempted too because those weapons are so cool. I wasn't sure about the whole "Renaissance era" thing initially but it turned out just great.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
More fantasy games should be set in the early modern era because medieval fantasy is so ubiquitous and stale at this point. Also early modern is far more interesting of a period to base things off than medieval.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

poo poo, I should have shut up! But thanks for the clarification!

E:

You really love shooting at things don't you? I must admit I'm very tempted too because those weapons are so cool. I wasn't sure about the whole "Renaissance era" thing initially but it turned out just great.

It's a big draw. I've played so many generic fantasy RPG's and read so many generic fantasy novels at this point that pure swords-and-wizards settings tend to lose me really fast. Plus there's such a big kaboooooom!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Plus there's such a big kaboooooom!

That's the actual reason, isn't it?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Eej posted:

More fantasy games should be set in the early modern era because medieval fantasy is so ubiquitous and stale at this point. Also early modern is far more interesting of a period to base things off than medieval.

The early modern era was in general irresponsibly rad and it deserves way more love.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

That's the actual reason, isn't it?

If I think about it, I actually get slightly bothered that my character is holding his blunderbuss poorly, that recoil would have to break his wrist

I don't think about it

I just watch the drakes melt into a cloud of blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The gaming timeline of history:

Ancient Tymes
Medieval
Steampunk