Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FRINGE posted:

It was a successful genre, and sadly accurate. Its also not dead:

(CDPR) Cyberpunk 2077 http://cyberpunk.net/
Interview with Pondsmith (creator of Cyberpunk 2013/20): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZxkhLoukI

The fantasy of the technology will change, but there will probably be a resurgence in technopunk in general, because it is more and more a thing that people are faced with in real life.

Oh yeah I know it's not completely utterly dead but it's still a lot less common than, say, WWII games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

cheesetriangles posted:

Can I be a paladin with a gun and full plate and going around murdering people for god?

Paladins mostly aren't about gods. I mean, they can still believe in them but they aren't holy orders. You could do it as a priest.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

VDay posted:

Yeah I'm the kind of player that started over a dozen times in Skyrim, Divinity:OS, and most recently DA:I because I just keep thinking "I bet this other class/party/whatever will be more fun". Having all these options in a game-type that I'm not super familiar with (player NWN, BG2 and Planescape: Torment but only years and years ago) is just pushing that into overdrive. It's not even an optimal/min-max thing, I'm just genuinely not sure which playstyle I'd enjoy more.

I can't even start playing D&D-type games sometimes, I'm overwhelmed by the character creation process despite having done it a thousand times before. NWN2 is especially bad like this, spend hours mapping out your character before you even load up the game... after all if I were to start with 18 CH instead of 17 by accident then I would waste my level 8 attribute point which would lead to an appreciable end-game difference! Not to mention all the dual-classing, etc etc. It's even worse when you don't start at level 1 - leveling up a whole bunch at the start is so intimidating to me I can't even face up to it. Couldn't really get into the PoE beta because that part is just so overwhelming to me I end up just quitting halfway through the process, sure that I was doing a terrible job.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Paladins mostly aren't about gods. I mean, they can still believe in them but they aren't holy orders. You could do it as a priest.
A Shieldbearer of St. Elcga could fit.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My paladin is gonna kill in the name of god anyway. No one will stop him.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

VDay posted:

Yeah I'm the kind of player that started over a dozen times in Skyrim, Divinity:OS, and most recently DA:I because I just keep thinking "I bet this other class/party/whatever will be more fun". Having all these options in a game-type that I'm not super familiar with (player NWN, BG2 and Planescape: Torment but only years and years ago) is just pushing that into overdrive. It's not even an optimal/min-max thing, I'm just genuinely not sure which playstyle I'd enjoy more.

I have similar problems and this is my solution for PoE: I'm just going to play Ironman mode immediately. I won't have to worry about starting over since the game will do it for me when I die 2 hours in.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

cheesetriangles posted:

Can I be a paladin with a gun and full plate and going around murdering people for god?

You can be a Goldpact Paladin and go around murdering people for Galt instead.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
These paladins sound even better than the ones from 13th Age

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

rope kid posted:

A Shieldbearer of St. Elcga could fit.

What do you mean? The description doesn't mention a god.

steel Garrote(Woedica) and the Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr(Eothas) are both paladin orders that are associated with a god, but they are both not playable in the game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Scorchy posted:

I have similar problems and this is my solution for PoE: I'm just going to play Ironman mode immediately. I won't have to worry about starting over since the game will do it for me when I die 2 hours in.

I would do this if I thought I had a better handle on all the mechanics and stuff. But I haven't played a real DnD RPG in a while so I think this would just lead to me dying to some dumb encounter that I engaged like an idiot.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I normally play a Wizard in these type of games, but i also have a soft spot for the Monk who just kicks rear end with fists and kicks. So since there is a Wizard companion i will be playing a Monk. Though most of the classes sound really fun.

How is the party AI? The only real worry i have is that all the classes have so many cool abilities, that i hope i don't have to babysit my companions all the time.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

If you build your characters toward being more passive and use the companions with more passive abilities (e.g. Kana), it should be easier to manage.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Oasx posted:

How is the party AI? The only real worry i have is that all the classes have so many cool abilities, that i hope i don't have to babysit my companions all the time.

They don't use spells and such, and sometimes don't even auto attack so you will have to babysit a little bit. Definitively play on Normal or Easy if you don't want to micromanage because Hard really is hard.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oasx posted:

I normally play a Wizard in these type of games, but i also have a soft spot for the Monk who just kicks rear end with fists and kicks. So since there is a Wizard companion i will be playing a Monk. Though most of the classes sound really fun.

Pillars of Eternity 2 is gonna have hybrid classes like Druid/Monk.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I never actually beat baldur's gate one or two. :(

I haven't even played them, although I think I read an LP of BG1 once.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Papercut posted:

I haven't even played them, although I think I read an LP of BG1 once.

Beat them both and almost all the expansions (never beat Sword Coast entirely). They're plenty fun though they have massively annoying portions tacked on here and there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

prometheus12345 posted:

I thought spiritshift forms were pretty powerful. They have 8 dr without any speed reduction(breastplate with the same reduction give you a -40 % penalty). The damage is higher as two handed weapons and they use the two weapon style with unarmed weapons. One problem I could see if the armor/weapons doesn't level up that, they are only viable at low level. There is also one talent that add elemental damage to your spiritshift attack(+ 30 % damage, ropekid updated this after beta release) and a second that increases the elemental damage(+ 15 %).

You sound like you've played Druid a fair bit. Any commentary or advice on the different varieties of Spiritshift? Did you find one more useful than the other?

As someone who hasn't played the backer beta, the descriptions I'm finding on the wikis are fairly bare bones. That and Baldur's Gate 2 has taught me to mistrust theory over practice.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I just made a chanter for the first time in the beta, and INT doesn't affect the duration or linger of the chants it seems? Thought having a 20 int chanter would let me have multiple effects going on at once but it doesn't seem so...

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Riven posted:

I just made a chanter for the first time in the beta, and INT doesn't affect the duration or linger of the chants it seems? Thought having a 20 int chanter would let me have multiple effects going on at once but it doesn't seem so...
It should affect Linger.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

rope kid posted:

It should affect Linger.

Is linger part of the bars when you're constructing a chant? I guess I'm just confused because most abilities have a number of seconds that it lasts for you and then in parentheses the base number. For the chants it just says the duration and linger with no modifiers.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

zedprime posted:

What time period would gently caress You, Suck My Dick take place in if it was made?

Also at any point during locking in or fleshing out the setting for PoE, did anyone make any jokes or other allusions to making "Lionheart but better"
Probably 15th century.

People would have to know about Lionheart to make jokes about it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

evilmiera posted:

Beat them both and almost all the expansions (never beat Sword Coast entirely). They're plenty fun though they have massively annoying portions tacked on here and there.
Played most of BG1 and all of BG2, but got tired halfway through ToB and started console-killing everything just to see the ending

(played entirety of NWN1, but got tired of NWN2 before finishing act one)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Riven posted:

Is linger part of the bars when you're constructing a chant? I guess I'm just confused because most abilities have a number of seconds that it lasts for you and then in parentheses the base number. For the chants it just says the duration and linger with no modifiers.

The lighter section of the bar is the Linger. The phrase technically stops when the next icon is reached, but the effects continue through the light portion.

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 is gonna have hybrid classes like Druid/Monk.

I have made PoE-compatible portraits for this.

Preview:

Download:

https://mega.co.nz/#!DVRggbga!kUaJl1oOes0pQPKCcVZXyjKejOLWJ6AvbaEEREi6eBg

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Please rename thread to Chant for Idiot Babies

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

derra posted:

Please rename forum to Chant for Idiot Babies

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm wondering what the Dyrford equivalent of places like the Firewine Ruin be like. I can't wait to get lost in a maze and get my arse shot full of burning arrows by not-Kobolds.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

rope kid posted:

The lighter section of the bar is the Linger. The phrase technically stops when the next icon is reached, but the effects continue through the light portion.

Yes, but his point was there is no indication that the linger duration is being modified by intelligence.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm wondering what the Dyrford equivalent of places like the Firewine Ruin be like. I can't wait to get lost in a maze and get my arse shot full of burning arrows by not-Kobolds.

It's the Drow tombs and if we had just backed a bit more we would've gotten that kickstarter goal! :(

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's the Drow tombs and if we had just backed a bit more we would've gotten that kickstarter goal! :(

What did the 4 million dollar Kickstarter-goal mean anyway, Enhanced Game?

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to wreck everything peasant style, all hatchet murders from top to bottom. Battle axes are for people with no self-confidence.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

rope kid posted:

I'm sure this will be clearer if played from the beginning, but is the icon part of the time it's in effect? For all the chants I put together the light bar ended at the right side of the next icon, so it appeared that with 20 Intelligence nothing was overlapping. Basically everything I put together looked like "Hell yeah bro!" With no overlaps like in "Chant for Idiot Babies."

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Traxis posted:

Yes, but his point was there is no indication that the linger duration is being modified by intelligence.
That should be in the description.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

What did the 4 million dollar Kickstarter-goal mean anyway, Enhanced Game?

Basically they didnt have any more stretch goals in mind so rather than keep promising stuff they couldn't keep (or would make the game suffer from feature bloat) they promised that everything past 4 mill would goto improving what had already been promised.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

rope kid posted:

That should be in the description.

It isnt, though

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I can't wait to wreck everything peasant style, all hatchet murders from top to bottom. Battle axes are for people with no self-confidence.

So Juggalo tactics then?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Basically they didnt have any more stretch goals in mind so rather than keep promising stuff they couldn't keep (or would make the game suffer from feature bloat) they promised that everything past 4 mill would goto improving what had already been promised.

If Pillars of Eternity got funding as much as Star Citizen, and was headed by less discerning Project Leads, I wouldn't be able to guess the final product, but the accompanying documentary would be somewhere between Hearts of Darkness and Dean Pelton's Greendale commercial.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Traxis posted:

It isnt, though
I filed a bug on it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Hey, so I am a big dumb babby who has never played an Infinity Engine game before beyond getting frustrated with the UI in the first dungeon of BG2 and quitting. :downs: I've played lots of RPGs, including CRPGs in this style like Divinity: Original Sin and the new Shadowrun games, but I still worry I'll go into this not knowing lots of things people are taking for given. What should I know? (I have played lots of DnD but this isn't in DnD anymore so I can't lean on that crutch!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

If Pillars of Eternity got funding as much as Star Citizen, and was headed by less discerning Project Leads, I wouldn't be able to guess the final product, but the accompanying documentary would be somewhere between Hearts of Darkness and Dean Pelton's Greendale commercial.

Star Citizen got 40 mil ? With that budget they could probably do a fully voiced and 3D game like Witcher 2/3 or Mass Effect. (I think Witcher 2 was about 11 mil, but since Obsidian is in America it would probably cost more, not 4x more, but at least a few millions more)

• Locked thread