Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

I tuned down firearms and arbalests (crossbows a little) this morning.

booooo

I'm crying on the inside here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm trying to think of what would make Lay on Hands have a little more oomph to it. I was thinking giving it an additional effect would be nice, but I'm not sure what that additional effect could be.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Turned down gun damage or accuracy? Or both?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Airfoil posted:

Turned down gun damage or accuracy? Or both?

They already got hit with one tunedown in 480 =(

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I didn't touch Accuracy. Damage came down. Low RoF weapons are very difficult to tune because of how they can influence the start of combat. They should be appealing as openers, not useless over the course of a fight, but there should still be a good place for standard RoF weapons. It's hard to find that balance.

E: It's one of the reasons the F:NV weapons took so long to balance.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Harebrained schemes has put out two games with their shadowrun engine and is working on a third, why not kickstart Pillars Of Eternity 2?

Harebrained is also comprised of about 30 people.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm really hoping the Druid gets nerfed by release if it's possible. They're pretty ridiculous in comparison to the other casters, as they can do more AoE damage than the Cipher or Wizard, and their healing spells actually outperform anything the Priest can put down.

The most overpowered ability is charm beast. It does have a time of 30 seconds, the single target spell of a cipher has only 10 seconds and the chanter invocation has only 6 seconds. It should be better as the cipher and chanter ability, because it's a per rest ability and only works against beasts, but not that much.

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm trying to think of what would make Lay on Hands have a little more oomph to it. I was thinking giving it an additional effect would be nice, but I'm not sure what that additional effect could be.

Shieldbearers have a talent that gives the target + 10 deflection. I also thought it was pretty helpful if you only have one harmed character.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
My issue with the combat-only passives is that it forces you to do this

If you have a character that has a passive bonus that activates in combat, it is sub-optimal to use them to attack first in combat because they will not get their bonuses and the alpha strike is important. So what you have to do to get those bonuses on their first attack is open with a character that does not have such passives - like a Wizard with Rolling Flame, or another character with a gun or something, and then the combat state will be triggered on the hit frame of their attack.

THEN allll of these passive abilities activate, and then you can attack second with the other characters.

It just feels unnatural. Pretty simple fix too - untick Combat only flag in Unity. Done.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

I didn't touch Accuracy. Damage came down. Low RoF weapons are very difficult to tune because of how they can influence the start of combat. They should be appealing as openers, not useless over the course of a fight, but there should still be a good place for standard RoF weapons. It's hard to find that balance.

E: It's one of the reasons the F:NV weapons took so long to balance.

Let's all take a moment of silence and remember the glory of the earth-shattering kaboom.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rope kid posted:

I'm tuning them right now. Thanks for the graph, roguelike.

Oh sure, now all the people are going blame me for getting druids and guns getting nerfed.

rope kid posted:

The main strength of Fireball is that it is extremely fast. Rolling Flame is a great spell, but IME much trickier to use than Fireball. Fan of Flames does great damage but it requires very specific positioning. That's been my experience anyway.

You probably know how valuable fast is better than me, but right now fireball kinda feels like a second level spell. Iconic projection does fireball damage with an upside (pierces DR and heals), blizzard does fireball damage with an upside (reduced attack speed), concelahut's siphon has more damage and an upside (drain, ignore DR) at the cost of a much higher positioning requirement. It's possible that fast casting is a really good upside, but it doesn't feel like a really good upside.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Yeah, I'm pretty much fine with gun damage coming down. Don't know how much I love pistols and blunderbusses having the same range as bows, though. Unless I'm reading that wrong.

Where's this graph, BTW?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Let's all take a moment of silence and remember the glory of the earth-shattering kaboom.
400 hp Bleak Walker Crits, dude.

Roguelike posted:

You probably know how valuable fast is better than me, but right now fireball kinda feels like a second level spell. Iconic projection does fireball damage with an upside (pierces DR and heals), blizzard does fireball damage with an upside (reduced attack speed), concelahut's siphon has more damage and an upside (drain, ignore DR) at the cost of a much higher positioning requirement. It's possible that fast casting is a really good upside, but it doesn't feel like a really good upside.
IME it's valuable enough that I feel comfortable for leaving it as-is for release. If a lot of people really think it stinks over the course of the game, it's very easy to change.

A lot of those druid spells were among the first implemented and some of them had become crusty/bad with lack of attention. I brought a lot of the insane ones (Hail Storm, Venombloom, Embrace the Earth Talon) down, but they're still tough.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Airfoil posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much fine with gun damage coming down. Don't know how much I love pistols and blunderbusses having the same range as bows, though. Unless I'm reading that wrong.
Gun ranges also came down. :3

It's much easier to tune up than tune down post-release, but I have a feeling a lot of people are still going to use guns and enjoy them.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Roguelike posted:

Oh sure, now all the people are going blame me for getting druids and guns getting nerfed.

Keep your charts away from monks you monster! :argh:

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Keep your charts away from monks you monster! :argh:

Those charts are dangerous. I thought Ciphers sounded really cool but according to the charts they are bad and now I am lost.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

rope kid posted:

400 hp Bleak Walker Crits, dude.

IME it's valuable enough that I feel comfortable for leaving it as-is for release. If a lot of people really think it stinks over the course of the game, it's very easy to change.

A lot of those druid spells were among the first implemented and some of them had become crusty/bad with lack of attention. I brought a lot of the insane ones (Hail Storm, Venombloom, Embrace the Earth Talon) down, but they're still tough.

Out of curiosity Ropekid, I've seen other people wonder this as well, does Druid Spiritshift have any kind of scaling in terms of melee damage or whatnot with level? The concern is that it will be a low level gimmick that has less viability as time goes on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

rope kid posted:

Fortunately my cipher cannot commit seppuku with his weakened blunderbuss because that would be out of setting

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

willing to settle posted:

Those charts are dangerous. I thought Ciphers sounded really cool but according to the charts they are bad and now I am lost.

Who are you gonna believe, some chart or your own heart?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

willing to settle posted:

That spell damage chart is really, really, really misleading, almost to the point of being actively bad. It groups all AoE spells in with the single target spells, doesn't account for damage type (which makes a HUGE difference, especially for "raw" damage powers), and doesn't account for powers that have included CC or debuff elements (which is like every cipher power).

Really it needs to be broken out into several different charts, one for single-target spells, one for AoE's, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 20, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
In the latest patch you can no longer rebind item highlight as right mouse button. This makes me very sad. :smith:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That spell damage chart is really, really, really misleading, almost to the point of being actively bad. It groups all AoE spells in with the single target spells, doesn't account for damage type (which makes a HUGE difference, especially for "raw" damage powers), and doesn't account for powers that have included CC or debuff elements (which is like every cipher power).
Well, it's hard to encapsulate everything that a spell does within a single chart, but it does show some weird outliers, which is pretty valuable.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
The most insane spell I've encountered is Returning Storm - HUGE DAMAGE, STUNS and you can't see what's going on on the screen because of the bazillion smoke particles.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

FreudianSlippers posted:

Early modern game setting idea:
Meso-America 1502. The Aztecs reign supreme but many of the tribes and nations they have subjugated are on the verge of revolt. To the east lay the once mighty and prosperous Maya city states which are now only a shadow of their former glory. One day mysterious ships from beyond the horizon arrive on the eastern coast. These ships are manned by creatures who are more machine than man, clad in steel and armed with strange and alien weapons of thunder and fire. These are the Orcs, hideous and twisted creatures come to quench their thirst for gold and blood and with them comes death and disease. You are the only one that can stop them.

please pay me a lot of money for being an ideas guy with no actual skills tia

That`s basically Expeditions: Conqustiadors.

I want a game set during the 30 Years War. Tons and tons of material to draw from there.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

rope kid posted:

Cool, that's what I meant. I suspect any moderately talented longbowman had a longer effective range than a wheellock pistol.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Out of curiosity Ropekid, I've seen other people wonder this as well, does Druid Spiritshift have any kind of scaling in terms of melee damage or whatnot with level? The concern is that it will be a low level gimmick that has less viability as time goes on.
It currently does not, which is unfortunate, but the quick fix is dangerous/error-prone. For the future, we're going to expand the components to handle level-based scaling more easily.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Scorchy posted:

Sawyer was on a Skype interview a couple of hours ago on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/arvaneleron/b/638981725

Starts at ~14 minutes.

This is a good watch btw. Thanks for staying so long to answer questions rope kid.

There's 2 quests in the game to put together epic weapons ala Flail of Ages. :0

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I've been looking through the thread and even checked roguelikes posts. Where are these charts people are talking about?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I've been looking through the thread and even checked roguelikes posts. Where are these charts people are talking about?

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70515-balance-discussion/page-10#entry1587839

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Seems to be buggy with hotkeying chants where they all get selected at once.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

rope kid posted:

It currently does not, which is unfortunate, but the quick fix is dangerous/error-prone. For the future, we're going to expand the components to handle level-based scaling more easily.

Sadness. Oh well, at least BEAR MODE will retain some usefulness as a defensive/CC ability. Hopefully.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 20, 2015

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

rope kid posted:

I tuned down firearms and arbalests (crossbows a little) this morning. I think war bows should be more competitive now. I tuned up Noxious Burst's damage and left Fireball's alone. The main strength of Fireball is that it is extremely fast. Rolling Flame is a great spell, but IME much trickier to use than Fireball. Fan of Flames does great damage but it requires very specific positioning. That's been my experience anyway.

I've tuned up the godlike racial abilities (except for moon godlike -- that's down) and a few other racial abilities that felt lackluster. Helmets can give attribute bonuses, but so can a lot of other items, including mods on armor. Attribute bonuses aren't exclusive to head slot items.

With regards to Bows you may have seen the following posts in the balance thread as well, but unless you've changed the Warbow directly there was little or no reason to use a warbow as they were only very slightly better against enemies with a DR between ~9 and 14 and only by ~0.2 damage per second (DPS), while the rest of the time the faster firetime of the Hunting bow was more effective (assuming the assumptions around damage and timings was correct). While Pistols and Blunderbuss had clear cases where they were better than the bows by 1-2DPS.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70515-balance-discussion/?p=1586114
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/70515-balance-discussion/?p=1586460

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

rope kid posted:

All this stuff not scaling inherently with level is really setting my aspergers off, rope kid!!

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Scorchy posted:

Seems to be buggy with hotkeying chants where they all get selected at once.

Hotkeys should be stored on the main action bar. I reported it as a bug/issue a week or so ago - and that's one of the reasons why.

I'm happy that two of my "I'm used to 15+ years of doing this in the Infinity Engine games" gripes with this game have been fixed

- You can now walk around the bar to initiate dialogue with storekeepers
- You can (according to ropekid's twitter) consume items from the item description/inventory

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 20, 2015

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Sensuki posted:

Hotkeys should be stored on the main action bar. I reported it as a bug/issue a week or so ago - and that's one of the reasons why.

Why should they be stored on the main action bar?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Scorchy posted:

Why should they be stored on the main action bar?

Overlapping the Chant UI ??

Plus it's needless that there be a separate bar ABOVE the action bar showing what hotkeys you have, and it gets overlapped by expanding UI elements. It would be much more practical to store them horizontally across the action bar with everything else like they were originally IMO.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Sensuki posted:

Overlapping the Chant UI ??

Plus it's needless that there be a separate bar ABOVE the action bar showing what hotkeys you have, and it gets overlapped by expanding UI elements. It would be much more practical to store them horizontally across the action bar with everything else like they were originally IMO.

No cause then you'd get doubled spells across the same row, and it's confusing to users because it looks like they'd have multiple casts of the spell, it's poor ux, as is a row of icons that goes on forever. Right now there's a nice separate row for all the hotkey spells where they're lined up properly. That way I can think of that row as the keyboard row, and the bottom row as the mouse row.

Anyway I wasn't talking about overlapping the Chanter UI, that's a separate thing that could be fixed by just moving it up, I was pointing out that hotkeying 1 chant would put the hotkey (Pause) graphic on all 4 chants.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Scorchy posted:

No cause then you'd get doubled spells across the same row, and it's confusing to users because it looks like they'd have multiple casts of the spell, it's poor ux, as is a row of icons that goes on forever. Right now there's a nice separate row for all the hotkey spells where they're lined up properly. That way I can think of that row as the keyboard row, and the bottom row as the mouse row.

No they would be on the same bar as the spell levels. Hotkeyed spells kind of act like quick spells, and it makes perfect sense to store them on the main action bar. I do see an issue with hotkeys and item-based spells being on the same bar but the different casts/day plus separate sections would easily alleviate that. I think it's bad to stack several things up on top of each other in the left corner.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
So I'm thinking about playing either a paladin or a priest, and I was wondering if there's a good place to get a full list of the paladin orders/priest faiths and their favoured dispositions without accidentally spoiling myself on poo poo?

I'd poke around the wiki myself but in the last thread a few people said they accidentally spoiled themselves doing that.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Sup UI chat.

Sensuki posted:

No they would be on the same bar as the spell levels. Hotkeyed spells kind of act like quick spells, and it makes perfect sense to store them on the main action bar. I do see an issue with hotkeys and item-based spells being on the same bar but the different casts/day plus separate sections would easily alleviate that. I think it's bad to stack several things up on top of each other in the left corner.

The longer that bottom row goes on, the longer it takes for users to process what to click. It's bad for decision making and for trying to remember where everything is. The sections aren't especially well chunked up (just a bit of extra lateral padding), so the row is actually already dangerously long as it is, and that's not adding the extra quickslots and wearable item spells being in there as well.

Discounting that doubled ability issue, if you put them both on the same row and use a lot of hotkeys you'd run into that DA1/2 (and BG1/2) problem for casters where the spell row goes on for a mile and you can't find crap.

Anyway right now if you use the F1-F12 keys for hotkeying then it's excellent mental mapping since their location on a keyboard corresponds to their location in the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Oh yeah with that many hotkeys it would be a problem.

The F-keys are too far away from where I rest my hand (WASD), so I use keys around there for everything.

TBH It would be nice if you could hide the hotkey bar too, I don't have trouble remembering my keys.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 20, 2015

• Locked thread