Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's also pretty fast paced at six rounds. Having seen a demo play I really can't understand how that'll work, the ships are pretty tanky. I'm sure it does, of course, but it must be throwing tons of damage dice.

Someone on a forum did some napkin math on the dice, and ignoring critical effects, red and blue dice average like .75 hits per roll, and black dice average 1 hit per roll. Crits and accuracy results, rerolls, etc will only boost that. I think it's going to be pretty bloody honestly. Especially when you can manage to line up your firing arcs so a ship is in two of them at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Conceptually that really captures the feel of big-rear end ships unloading tons of particle-cannon death at each other. I am going to like it.

Plus it's human nature (in that tabletop gamers are humans, kinda) to enjoy rolling hits/crits on dice. Gonna be fun.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's also pretty fast paced at six rounds. Having seen a demo play I really can't understand how that'll work, the ships are pretty tanky. I'm sure it does, of course, but it must be throwing tons of damage dice.
I'm not sure about "fast". The game time estimate on the box is 2 hours... compared to the (fairly accurate) estimate of 30-45 minutes on the X-Wing box.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

The Gate posted:

That and the fact that there's no defense dice rolling, just the tokens. There's very finite amounts of reduction that can occur.

Rebel fighters basically all being bombers is pretty scary too, fighters are going to be really important I think.

In the lore rebels are pretty reliant on fighters since their capital ships lose to imperial ones. So I'm glad to see that as a star wars nerd.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

In the lore rebels are pretty reliant on fighters since their capital ships lose to imperial ones. So I'm glad to see that as a star wars nerd.

Same! Even the A-Wing has decent odds at loving up a cap ship, it still gets a black die, just no crits.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

overdesigned posted:

Somebody here (I think) made a comment to the effect of how X-wing is a game of positioning your ships so that you aren't relying on dice results to save you.

Yeah and then they introduced the Falcon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

X-Wing is less a game of positioning (since certain ships have a monopoly on that) and more a game of maximizing dice results. It's why Fat Han and Phantoms with Gunners have been a constant for the last 2 waves.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

FuSchnick posted:

I'm not sure about "fast". The game time estimate on the box is 2 hours... compared to the (fairly accurate) estimate of 30-45 minutes on the X-Wing box.

To be honest I find that really weird, too, as the game is pretty simple and straight forward. Not in a bad way, anyway, but I really can't fathom how a round lasts more then five minutes or so. :shrug:

Now, granted, I haven't played either game. But Armada seems especially straightforward, given you'll have 2-5 big ships at most and then a bundle of simplistic squadrons. Flip command, declare arcs, roll, deal damage/react, move, next.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Gamerofthegame posted:

To be honest I find that really weird, too, as the game is pretty simple and straight forward. Not in a bad way, anyway, but I really can't fathom how a round lasts more then five minutes or so. :shrug:

Now, granted, I haven't played either game. But Armada seems especially straightforward, given you'll have 2-5 big ships at most and then a bundle of simplistic squadrons. Flip command, declare arcs, roll, deal damage/react, move, next.

Plenty of X-Wing games run over 30 minutes too. Tournaments allow 60-75 for a reason. 30 is okay for games where both players are 2 ship lists, more than that and it slows right the hell down. Especially when you have a lot of ships moving at the same speed all trying to dogfight, and people are trying to figure out how to maneuver.

I think an hour will probably be more reasonable of an expectation once people have the rules down for Armada.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I envy everyone playing with people who don't agonize over every decision in every game

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Thirsty Dog posted:

I envy everyone playing with people who don't agonize over every decision in every game

Being able to place the maneuver template down and see how it lies will honestly help with this I think. No agonizing over whether you're going to hit an asteroid or ship, easier to see how ranges will probably be, etc.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Starting a new Imperial Assault campaign tonight. Think I have 4 players who can see it through.

The hot water trick someone mentioned earlier totally worked on that drat AT-ST. Microwaved already hot water for three minutes, let it soak in it for two minutes, and the chin gun popped right in. The whole model was floppy as a noodle for a second, though, kind of alarming.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Out of curiosity, how much table space does Imperial Assault usually take up?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Out of curiosity, how much table space does Imperial Assault usually take up?

About half as much as xwing. The maps are pretty small

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Typical board game space, looks like.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So the side campaign and all the extra stuff with that plus Armada isn't actually out yet right? Looking through Amazon isn't turning stuff up yet.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So the side campaign and all the extra stuff with that plus Armada isn't actually out yet right? Looking through Amazon isn't turning stuff up yet.

CSI shipped all that stuff, minus Armada, out to me yesterday.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

alg posted:

About half as much as xwing. The maps are pretty small

Good to know, thanks.

I'm considering being irresponsible and ordering it through book depository and having it shipped to my new apartment in Japan. If it takes up less than an X-Wing game that should definitely fit on the small table.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Good to know, thanks.

I'm considering being irresponsible and ordering it through book depository and having it shipped to my new apartment in Japan. If it takes up less than an X-Wing game that should definitely fit on the small table.

The maps are small, but you'll still want room for the player sheets, cards, and miscellaneous tokens.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

correction, the maps are small until suddenly they aren't!

A good example is going from Aftermath to i think it's called Under Fire? The one that you go to if Imp wins Aftermath.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah between the board, all the tokens, the rulebooks, all the cards, five players' drinks and snacks, it takes up my whole kitchen table.

It is nice that the maps themselves are small, though. In Space Hulk there are missions I just can't play because they're bigger than my table.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

It seems like people are buying ally packs and flipping them on ebay like crazy. I saw people selling them for rrp, but having upwards of £15 shipping on them! I really want to get a set but so leery of buying them off of ebay. And I can only find Han on the US ebay and US Amazon. That is crazy.

Does anyone know how often new stock becomes available? I also get the feeling I am going to have to pre-order twin shadows if I want it without having to buy it off some crazy ebay 'entrepreneur'.

Edit: I mean look at this, what the hell: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Imperial-Assault-Solo/dp/1633440249

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 23, 2015

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
So, I found a great series on painting the figures from Imperial Assault. I haven't painted a miniature in about 10 years and don't plan on getting ImpAss, but this guys voice is amazing. It looks really beginner friendly: I feel like I could follow his instructions no problem, and I hope he paints the tiny little fighters for Armada so I can steal techniques and schemes for them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Phrosphor posted:

It seems like people are buying ally packs and flipping them on ebay like crazy. I saw people selling them for rrp, but having upwards of £15 shipping on them! I really want to get a set but so leery of buying them off of ebay. And I can only find Han on the US ebay and US Amazon. That is crazy.

Does anyone know how often new stock becomes available? I also get the feeling I am going to have to pre-order twin shadows if I want it without having to buy it off some crazy ebay 'entrepreneur'.

Edit: I mean look at this, what the hell: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Imperial-Assault-Solo/dp/1633440249

Have you checked your FLGS? My store sold a TON of minis and got another shipment in. FFG was on the ball for this release.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

FishFood posted:

So, I found a great series on painting the figures from Imperial Assault. I haven't painted a miniature in about 10 years and don't plan on getting ImpAss, but this guys voice is amazing. It looks really beginner friendly: I feel like I could follow his instructions no problem, and I hope he paints the tiny little fighters for Armada so I can steal techniques and schemes for them.

That's a fantastic video--I've never painted miniatures and always kinda wanted to try. Now I think I could actually do it.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

overdesigned posted:

That's a fantastic video--I've never painted miniatures and always kinda wanted to try. Now I think I could actually do it.

That dude's poo poo is the bomb, and I need him to make an album of that background music for real.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I made a deal with a friend: He can continue borrowing my x-wing stuff (and he's hooked, hehe) and I will continue buying all the expansions so he can play whatever, and he can buy armada for both of us to play. :evilbuddy:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Chill la Chill posted:

I made a deal with a friend: He can continue borrowing my x-wing stuff (and he's hooked, hehe) and I will continue buying all the expansions so he can play whatever, and he can buy armada for both of us to play. :evilbuddy:

A good friend. A buddy and I are each buying a starter for Armada and splitting by faction.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up buying Imperial Assault, but probably not until June. I'm trying to read up on some more information, but I'm having trouble finding spoilers for a lot of the cards. Is there anywhere to browse through stuff like the skirmish command cards or agenda cards?

Also, which of the Ally or Villain packs feel like must-haves so far?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up buying Imperial Assault, but probably not until June. I'm trying to read up on some more information, but I'm having trouble finding spoilers for a lot of the cards. Is there anywhere to browse through stuff like the skirmish command cards or agenda cards?

Also, which of the Ally or Villain packs feel like must-haves so far?

http://iacommand.com/

I found this today, and it has been quite helpful. Check the database for full spoilers of literally everything so far.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

FishFood posted:

Funny, I found these videos on the weekend and started following them. Just finished all my stormtroopers last night, they have come out pretty nice but you really need to patiently layer your white in the stage after the ink wash or they look really patchy.

alg posted:

Have you checked your FLGS? My store sold a TON of minis and got another shipment in. FFG was on the ball for this release.

Sadly in this city there is no true FLGS. We just have a huge two story Games Workshop and two seedy comic book stores that sell rpg supplements. One grudgingly sells mtg boosters on the counter.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
Yeah I'd never painted a mini before in my life and I'd been building up the courage to follow Sorastro's guides until finally giving it a real go the past few days.

I started off really unhappy with my results until I realized I had to stop comparing my work to his and that I probably will get better with time and practice.

I'm finally reasonably happy with my third attempt and I was so pleased with this guy I made him an elite.

But gently caress me highlighting white is hard when you are just starting out and your brushstrokes are awful and you either thin too much or too little.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Halverine posted:

But gently caress me highlighting white is hard when you are just starting out and your brushstrokes are awful and you either thin too much or too little.

Quoted for truth. Also nice stormtrooper, Looking better than mine.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

White should only be reserved for the top highlights and the figure should be using greyscale for most of the area. Washing helps here but layering white back on should take this into account.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Phrosphor posted:

Sadly in this city there is no true FLGS. We just have a huge two story Games Workshop and two seedy comic book stores that sell rpg supplements. One grudgingly sells mtg boosters on the counter.

Grudgingly? Is the owner somehow against the idea of making money?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
That stormtrooper looks great to me, keep it up!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Paper Kaiju posted:

Grudgingly? Is the owner somehow against the idea of making money?

Yeah, it is really weird up here. The other shop has banned card games in their entirety. When the World of Warcraft TCG had just been released and was selling like crazy I came back to this city from Uni and went to see if they had any boosters and the owner had no idea what I was talking about.

The one that does sell magic just makes sure to have the latest set and a couple of starters, but doesn't support play at all. Neither shop has games as anything more than an afterthought. I guess I can see if one will order things in but I will probably have to pay up front.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Phrosphor posted:

Yeah, it is really weird up here. The other shop has banned card games in their entirety. When the World of Warcraft TCG had just been released and was selling like crazy I came back to this city from Uni and went to see if they had any boosters and the owner had no idea what I was talking about.

The one that does sell magic just makes sure to have the latest set and a couple of starters, but doesn't support play at all. Neither shop has games as anything more than an afterthought. I guess I can see if one will order things in but I will probably have to pay up front.

At this point you should just order from CoolStuffInc. Good prices with free shipping at $100+, and there's no reason to pay MSRP supporting a store that's doing nothing to support the hobby.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_search.php?pa=searchOnName&page=1&resultsPerPage=25&q=imperial+assault

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Phrosphor posted:

Man, most places MTG keeps the doors open. As a mere spectator, Magic players seem like they are a hassle. But if it keeps a storefront with big tables open, go MTG

Disclosure, I played in college, though not very much in the competitive official events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Man, most places MTG keeps the doors open. As a mere spectator, Magic players seem like they are a hassle. But if it keeps a storefront with big tables open, go MTG

Disclosure, I played in college, though not very much in the competitive official events

Yep. I tolerate the magic crowd at one store because they keep the lights on with their crazy pack wars. We have college kids losing $200+ a night per week or more on legal scratch ticket gambling lol. Right now it's the best since standard is really unpopular and we can actually spread out instead of when there's 40+ wizards in there.