Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of drum software, what's everybody's thoughts on Liquid Rhythm? I'm a complete feeb when it comes to writing drum parts, so a non-traditional approach to it like this appeals to me, but it's hard for me to get a sense of how useful it'd be compared to anything else.
I delayed impulse bought it a little while ago, and so far I like it, but I am still operating at a surface level with it; I haven't done a deep dive into it yet. Still, I don't regret the purchase at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread
SoundToys released a free plugin a few days ago and now their website is broken.

I managed to sign up for the free iLok account and register on the SoundToys site, but haven't been able to actually download 'Little Alterboy' yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt8pFK6fJk4

Here's the link anyway: https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2015/&rc=373-5594-211
And you can find a billion alternative codes on kvr: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6078235

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I managed to get through somehow. Here's the code they gave me in case anyone needs it: https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2015/&rc=222-9114-602

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stupid question, but 'requires an iLok account' means that it also requires having the physical iLok key too, right? Because if so, drat... I lost mine years ago.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yes that is what it means. gently caress iLok.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
gently caress iLok.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Stupid question, but 'requires an iLok account' means that it also requires having the physical iLok key too, right? Because if so, drat... I lost mine years ago.

Earwicker posted:

Yes that is what it means. gently caress iLok.

Not any more. iLok now has a software solution that requires no physical key, and that's what this one is. It's basically like NI's Service Center.

I also am not a fan of iLok, but you don't need the physical key for this. I don't have one, and I have already installed and used Alterboy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Not any more. iLok now has a software solution that requires no physical key, and that's what this one is. It's basically like NI's Service Center.

I also am not a fan of iLok, but you don't need the physical key for this. I don't have one, and I have already installed and used Alterboy.

I wish Soundsonline would use this for the East West and Stormdrum stuff.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I wish Soundsonline would use this for the East West and Stormdrum stuff.

Also, am I the only one that wishes they had never developed their own sample player? I would much prefer to have EW stuff in Kontakt than their crappy unstable PLAY engine.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MockingQuantum posted:

Also, am I the only one that wishes they had never developed their own sample player? I would much prefer to have EW stuff in Kontakt than their crappy unstable PLAY engine.
Never tried any East West stuff, but Best Service is an example of another publisher I wish to gently caress would have used Kontakt or the UVI engine. They have their own "Best Service Engine" which is based on the Independence sampler, and it is complete garbage.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Radiapathy posted:

Never tried any East West stuff, but Best Service is an example of another publisher I wish to gently caress would have used Kontakt or the UVI engine. They have their own "Best Service Engine" which is based on the Independence sampler, and it is complete garbage.

ugh I am dealing with exactly this poo poo right now. I got Era Medieval II which has some really great instruments but the Service Engine is a pain in the rear end and I can only get the freestanding version to work and can't find the VST or AU.

Trig Discipline posted:

My bad then, glad to hear this!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just got curious about what a formant-based chorus would sound like, so I hooked the pitch and formant controls from Alterboy into one of the LFO modulators in Bitwig. Sounds quite nice, actually.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Does iLok run in the background all the time or is it fully like NI service station in that it runs, authorises, and then is never heard from again?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RandomCheese posted:

Does iLok run in the background all the time or is it fully like NI service station in that it runs, authorises, and then is never heard from again?

I honestly don't have many iLok-ed things, but it doesn't seem to pop up except when I add a new plugin.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

gently caress iLok.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've never found much problem with the EW sample player, but I've only really used it at my old job. And I think I'm the only person who's never used the Kontakt player :ohdear:

I bought the Kirk Hunter Emerald and Ruby orchestral sample set years ago, and foolishly bought the non-HDD, EXS24 version. I mean, it works and all, but from what I've heard, I would MUCH rather have both the Kontakt version. :argh:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

RandomCheese posted:

PACE is the company that makes iLok, and at least on Windows there is a PACE License Service process that always runs in the background. Waves and Steinberg also have dongle options, but I haven't found any always-on background processes or services related to them like PACE has.

I don't like the soft-licencer options that PACE/iLok, Steinberg/eLicenser, and Waves offer (where you put the license on your computer vs. a dongle), because they get invalidated if you change your hardware configuration, or if your hard drive crashes and you don't have a backup of the license. The thing is, unlike Native Instruments Service Center (which is my favorite activation method of them all), the iLok/eLicenser/Waves soft-license options are tied to your computer, not just to your user account.

So, I use the dongles whenever I have a choice. It means I can dual boot between Win 7 and Win 8 on the same computer or reinstall an OS at any time without having to burn through activations. But it also means I have three loving dongles hanging off a dedicated USB hub right now.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Any recommendations for a cheap/free simple clean bass guitar VSTi? I have the amp VSTs and everything, so my only requirement is that it doesn't sound like dogshit and maybe has a bit of human-like variance to it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but why do all these companies use activation methods that effectively punish people who actually legitimately purchase their product and want to use it legally? None of this poo poo prevents piracy, it just makes everything more of a pain in the rear end for their actual customers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Everyone here already probably knows about this, but in case you don't, and want the Waves L2 Limiter, but don't want to pay for it, check this out:

http://www.yohng.com/software/w1limit.html

I used to use the L2 every single day in my old job (yeah, dynamics be damned), and now that I'm doing freelance work, this has done a great job in taking care of the same thing, and it still sounds great.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
I know people poo poo on iLok stuff a lot, but I never really had any issues with mine. The worst plugin company I have to deal with is Waves imo. They probably have the least responsive support system ever. I changed out my hdd with a sdd not too long ago and in the process waves licensing center broke.

I sent in a ticket months ago and never heard back :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SineRider posted:

I know people poo poo on iLok stuff a lot, but I never really had any issues with mine. The worst plugin company I have to deal with is Waves imo. They probably have the least responsive support system ever. I changed out my hdd with a sdd not too long ago and in the process waves licensing center broke.

I genuinely don't mind iLok, except that I lost my actual key, and don't want to spend another $50.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

I genuinely don't mind iLok, except that I lost my actual key, and don't want to spend another $50.

That's totally understandable. $50 is a ridiculous price for a replacement key. The only thing that I hate about iLok is having to use up a usb port for it. Especially when i'm on my laptop.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SineRider posted:

That's totally understandable. $50 is a ridiculous price for a replacement key. The only thing that I hate about iLok is having to use up a usb port for it. Especially when i'm on my laptop.

I'd think that a hub would be ok for that, wouldn't it? Then just put any and all of your low-power devices on that. At my last job, I had the iLok and the Reason key (igniter?) on one of those, never a problem.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'd think that a hub would be ok for that, wouldn't it? Then just put any and all of your low-power devices on that. At my last job, I had the iLok and the Reason key (igniter?) on one of those, never a problem.

Yeah, I do that with my four key dongles when I'm working on-site. Works great, the only downside is having to carry a hub around in my laptop bag.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SineRider posted:

I would try a direct contact email to sales, for whatever reason their support ticket system is way slower than just contacting them directly. I do that whenever I have an issue and usually get an answer back in a day.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, I do that with my four key dongles when I'm working on-site. Works great, the only downside is having to carry a hub around in my laptop bag.
Yup. I have two Cubase/Wavelab dongles, one for my desktop, one for my laptop, and in both cases the dongles are plugged into a hub, so I only have to connect one thing other than the power when I get the laptop out. But I never travel with the dongles; I exclusively use Ableton Live and Native Instruments stuff when I'm traveling.

Would suck to be a gigging musician who relied on dongleware. I totally understand that complaint.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The concept of paying fifty bucks on top of a $200 VST for the privilege of installing their DRM on my machine, all because I didn't pirate it... yeah gently caress iLok.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

The concept of paying fifty bucks on top of a $200 VST for the privilege of installing their DRM on my machine, all because I didn't pirate it... yeah gently caress iLok.

Yeah, that.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

bvoid posted:

Any recommendations for a cheap/free simple clean bass guitar VSTi? I have the amp VSTs and everything, so my only requirement is that it doesn't sound like dogshit and maybe has a bit of human-like variance to it.

There's this. http://www.dskmusic.com/dsk-bassz/. You would have to do the human variance part with some randomization in your daw though. I doubt anything in the free/cheap range would be able to do what you are after though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My god, there are so many.

How are they all free? :catstare:

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

My god, there are so many.

How are they all free? :catstare:

No idea. I love DSK though. Most of their stuff is really good for being free.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

precedence posted:

No idea. I love DSK though. Most of their stuff is really good for being free.

They are!
I've always wanted a music box VST so I could make this :kiddo:
http://tindeck.com/listen/bfskx

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Your Computer posted:

They are!
I've always wanted a music box VST so I could make this :kiddo:
http://tindeck.com/listen/bfskx

I have this stupid grin on my face now.

Oh and thanks for the nice downloads. Now I have a sax vst! Not sure if this is a good thing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm just not sure I could use a saxophone VST without a big sex knob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FM2g-lVMR8

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Trig Discipline posted:

I think about this plugin way more often than I'd like to admit.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

He played the wrong song <:mad:> If you're going to get me to buy it you better play Careless Whisper.

utamaru posted:

I have this stupid grin on my face now.
:D

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

He played the wrong song <:mad:> If you're going to get me to buy it you better play Careless Whisper.

That's exactly how Embertone announced its existence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TE7pplQGzg

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

That's exactly how Embertone announced its existence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TE7pplQGzg

That's.... well I guess I'm sold v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I...think I need that.