Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

there's only one thing i miss about the old phones and its when you want to end a call and 'gently caress you' you just smacked it closed. it made a good sound. the call was over.

now you get to make an angry face at the phone, stab at the End Call button and they hear it going 'thud thud thud thud' as you miss, and then the call ends.
very embarasing

the new hang-up power move is an overhand throw into the nearest natural body of water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

fuctifino posted:

i've been a luddite with all this smartphone technology until this weekend, when i replaced my single core 500mhz android 2.2 clockwork dinosaur with a new htc one m8. it's great, but does anyone know if it can do phonecalls?

im not sure why you'd want to do that

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Palisader posted:

im not sure why you'd want to do that

maybe fuctifino doesn't have the skype app?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

DNova posted:

the new hang-up power move is an overhand throw into the nearest natural body of water

more like amateur move

skip it like a stone across the lake, keep screaming obscenities, pro tier angry call enders can get like 3 gently caress yous on a single iphone

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if I did get the Wierd Nokia as a gimmick phone i'd want some way to tether it to the iphone. make a call? iphone isdoing it. call with phone? Weird Nokia is the handset

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

bitcoin bastard posted:

more like amateur move

skip it like a stone across the lake, keep screaming obscenities, pro tier angry call enders can get like 3 gently caress yous on a single iphone

tell you what I'm gonna get on your level

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

fuctifino posted:

i've been a luddite with all this smartphone technology until this weekend, when i replaced my single core 500mhz android 2.2 clockwork dinosaur with a new htc one m8. it's great, but does anyone know if it can do phonecalls?

badly, I imagine

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

fuctifino posted:

no, not until the next firmware update. current workaround is using the 60 Skype world minutes a month your office 365 subscription gets you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

k thought that was jitterbug

... yes it was, I have no loving idea why I thought it was cricket :eng99:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
because they both bug related.

also can you still use a gsm nokia 5110 on ATT

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Avenging_Mikon posted:

no, not until the next firmware update. current workaround is using the 60 Skype world minutes a month your office 365 subscription gets you.

i've been using the e-telegram app. i press a button, and a through magic, a little man arrives within 24 hours to write down my message, who then runs back to the telegraph station to disseminate the information via this marvellous copper-wire technology.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 17, 2015

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

fuctifino posted:

i've been using the e-telegram app. i press a button, and a through magic, a little man arrives within 24 hours to write down my message, who then runs back to the telegraph station to disseminate the information via this marvellous copper-wire technology.

i'm not a fan of apple or anything, but ipigeon is way faster

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

This week in the intersection of anarchism and tech:

i moved to the bay area to work for a tech company making a p deece six and a half figures, but im an anarchist so that makes it not gentrification

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I make six figs but on weekends I sneak around busting out car windows and tagging houses so the property values stay low

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lack of privilege is the new privilege

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lack of privilege is the new privilege

lucky ducky !!!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

jonny your privilege is showing. as a broke dick okie you live a life where everything is easy and given to you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

these are the worst anarchists i've ever met.

quote:

Why wouldn't you try to make as much money as you could, and then investing in a charitable project?
I'm sure the working people would prefer a wealthy contributor han a bien pensant with only his hands to show for. Remember, the good samaritans were the wealthiest citizens of Jerusalem!

that's not even how that story worked :psyduck:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Yodzilla posted:

I make six figs but on weekends I sneak around busting out car windows and tagging houses so the property values stay low

the grey bloc

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

maniacdevnull posted:

jonny your privilege is showing. as a broke dick okie you live a life where everything is easy and given to you

:captainpop:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Thank you NoiseBridge!
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 13:18:42 -0700
To: noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net <noisebridge-discuss@lists.noisebridge.net>

Yesterday one of the headset speakers in my stereo motorcycle helmet sound system failed. I was pricing a replacement - $69, Ouch! - Then a light bulb came on in my head and  I remembered the soldering class I had taken a few months ago at NoiseBridge; where the demo project was a pair of broken headphones - Duh. Thanks NoiseBridge! I just save $69 + I got that warm "I did it" feeling.

this guy is responsible for gay rights in sf

noisebridge benefits all

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Have they run out of money yet?
Expecting them to burn the place to the ground when the eviction notice arrives

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

OSI bean dip posted:

this guy is responsible for gay rights in sf

noisebridge benefits all

someone must have cleaned the soldering irons

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
looks like they're holding steady in terms of funding, assuming nobody's cooking the books

however, their lease comes to an end sometime this year, so rent might go up

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

oh look the place has a proper electrical system, this makes the property more valuable.
*increases rent*

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Main Paineframe posted:

however, their lease comes to an end sometime this year, so rent mightwill go up

hopefully the wind up in a similar situation to Jeffrey's Toys on Market Street where their lease is going up by 5× upon renewal

I'm sure there's some VC-backed startup that would want the Noisebridge space, despite the poop

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

I'm sure there's some VC-backed startup that would want the Noisebridge space, despite the poop

airbnb

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

An Antipodean walks into Noisebridge, sees poop everywhere, and says "noise".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
noisebridge is where razer launch events are held

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

SpaceAceJase posted:

Expecting them to burn the place to the ground when the eviction notice arrives
what does the eviction notice have to do with it

FrozenVent posted:

noisebridge is where razer launch events are held
:pwn:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

bobbilljim posted:

someone must have cleaned the soldering irons

it's important for people to have a clean place to poop

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Something in this bus smells strongly of manpoo. I AM ON THE NOISEBUS

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
wait, why are they paying rent and also paying to fix the building? is it just because they are responsible for all the damage?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

that's pretty standard when renting industrial property

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

eschaton posted:

hopefully the wind up in a similar situation to Jeffrey's Toys on Market Street where their lease is going up by 5× upon renewal

I can't loving wait for that bubble to burst

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Moist von Lipwig posted:

wait, why are they paying rent and also paying to fix the building? is it just because they are responsible for all the damage?

they paid for the electrical stuff because they were responsible for most of it in the first place. doocracy plus a bunch of electronics hobbyists hackers who think theyre just as good as real professionals and don't want to bother asking for help or even permission equals a rats nest deathtrap of cables and half-working gadgets. these are the kinds of people who see that the elevator is broken and tell the landlord "you don't need to call your elevator maintenance guy, just give us permission to gently caress with it and we'll have it fixed in no time at all"

on a related note, if you ever pay a visit to nb, take the loving stairs

quote:

I just spoke with Henry about the elevator and the two problems we know it has. He checked with his father and they are fine with us fixing minor elevator problems. I mentioned that it was possible, if unlikely, that we might uncover or even create an issue we couldn't handle, and in that case we'd still need to get them to have someone come fix it. Henry understood that and explained that they do have an elevator maintenance person who normally comes to fix it when necessary. I and others have had the panel off, and the problem with the 3rd floor button is a simple mechanical issue that a part has broken. :frogsiren:I fixed it with duct tape temporarily, but it should be fixed more better soon.:frogsiren: I can do this maybe Thursday evening, if nobody else gets to it first. The other issue seems to be that the 3rd floor door closed sensors are finicky. A good oiling of the gate hinges, screwing in loose screws, and general cleaning might mitigate this considerably. Alternately it might need to be hosed with more. Again I'll take a whack at this eventually if nobody else does first.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

they paid for the electrical stuff because they were responsible for most of it in the first place. doocracy plus a bunch of electronics hobbyists hackers who think theyre just as good as real professionals and don't want to bother asking for help or even permission equals a rats nest deathtrap of cables and half-working gadgets. these are the kinds of people who see that the elevator is broken and tell the landlord "you don't need to call your elevator maintenance guy, just give us permission to gently caress with it and we'll have it fixed in no time at all"

on a related note, if you ever pay a visit to nb, take the loving stairs

lol at letting these loving morons do any kind of elevator repairs

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lol at letting these loving morons do any kind of elevator repairs

theyre the only ones using the elevator, so im okay with it

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
someone poo poo on the elevator relays

No seriously, someone please hack the elevator with some giant axe blades and maybe a tarantula or five

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

froward posted:

someone poo poo on the elevator relays

No seriously, someone please hack the elevator with some giant axe blades and maybe a tarantula or five

that's quite an av you got there

• Locked thread