Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Drifter posted:

I don't see that it's specifically available with an order, but for something like that I couldn't see why Obsidian just wouldn't have that up for free download from their website.

It was part of the digital download plus. Just like all the other digital tidbits that will be uploaded within a week, it's a way for obsidian fans to give upfront support since everyone else will be waiting for a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't understand how a strategy guide would work unless post-release tuning is relatively minor. Something like changing how secondary stats are derived could throw a lot of things off, presumably

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

It's just a collector's item.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Ropekid, what are your thoughts on the strategy guide being practical or not?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm doing a collector's printing of the GameFAQs page at the public library computer center in KMart if anyone wants a picture of a copy.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I assume the Strategy Guide will have additional art, lore snippets and stuff to make it valuable even after patches have come out and walkthroughs are all over the internet. :shrug:

Not that I'm going to buy one, I've already got a digital copy from backing the game and I didn't even want it.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 21, 2015

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I assume the Strategy Guide will have additional art, lore snippets and stuff to make it valuable even after patches have come out and walkthrough are all over the internet. :shrug:

Not that I'm going to buy one, I've already got a digital copy from backing the game and I didn't even want it.
Why I bought mine. As an actual strategy guide it is probably pretty useless, and certainly will be after a few patches.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I assume the Strategy Guide will have additional art, lore snippets and stuff to make it valuable even after patches have come out and walkthrough are all over the internet. :shrug:

Heh.
:laugh:

It'll have lots of screenshots, at least.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't imagine a strategy guide being useful when ropekid is still making balance changes as of like yesterday.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
For all the balance changes they did to dark souls the guide still has good maps and correct item locations in it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, balance changes probably aren't gonna affect things like quest paths and the like all that much.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
A polish person is doing an unboxing of the game :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjG3Ww3-IJQ

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

X_Toad posted:

Great, now I can never enjoy this game because somebody is playing it early. :smith:

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Does this game have slut-plate and boob armor? I must know before I pick genders

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Great, now I can never enjoy this game because somebody is playing it early. :smith:

Retail edition uses Steam (backers will get DRM-free DVDs + digital copies on release) so that person probably can't play the game either.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Does this game have slut-plate and boob armor? I must know before I pick genders

No, it doesn't.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Blotto Skorzany posted:

No, it doesn't.

Well, it does for male PCs. When they wear anything at all.

Mostly the game is a bunch of NPCs with Giant Head Mode on, if you know what I mean.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Nah. Sorry, but I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
For people who've played Monk in the beta, do you find yourself using weapons or actually capitalizing on Transcendent Sufferings unarmed bonus more?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Retail edition uses Steam (backers will get DRM-free DVDs + digital copies on release) so that person probably can't play the game either.

That doesn't stop the accursed beta testers! NOTHING STOPS THE BETA TESTERS!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

X_Toad posted:

Those are some nice thick books.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

xthetenth posted:

Those are some nice thick books.

Are normal customers/backers getting PDF copies of those guides? I used to require actual books for bathroom reading but now I live in the future

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are normal customers/backers getting PDF copies of those guides? I used to require actual books for bathroom reading but now I live in the future

I'm not sure what the second book is, but one seems to be the manual and every digital copy, has a digital manual.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

prometheus12345 posted:

I'm not sure what the second book is, but one seems to be the manual and every digital copy, has a digital manual.
It felt like a "vanilla Warcraft 3" situation to me : one is a big manual that gives all the details about the game, including the lore, and the other one is a smaller manual that focuses on the gameplay side of things.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
All gameplay-related information should be conveyed via Age of Empires 2-style laminated fold-out.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

UrbicaMortis posted:

I feel that if you want a thick, pretty book about Pillars, the guidebook would make more sense: https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/28-219/Pillars-of-Eternity-Guidebook-Volume-One-HC

At the very least, I feel like you would get more use out of it if you are planning to go through the game blind.

The guide book is only about 110 pages, but it's pretty nice. Just got mine yesterday. Reading it slowly while I wait for Thursday.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Airfoil posted:

The guide book is only about 110 pages, but it's pretty nice. Just got mine yesterday. Reading it slowly while I wait for Thursday.

where are these being sold?

rope kid posted:

The AoE and the duration of the Blinded affliction on surrounding targets have been lowered.

me irl:

More seriously, have you had a chance to look at the Flanked/Phantom Foes thing? According to this thread here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71337-cipher-powers-need-to-be-tweaked-for-release/page-2

the Deflection element seems to stack with other Deflection debuffs after all, even though it . .shouldn't? Is this a bug or intended behavior?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 21, 2015

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I saw one in the UK today at Fobidden Planet (Cambridge). It was £15 I think and hardbacked. I had a quick flip through, but was keen not to spoil anything for myself so I didn't read anything in detail.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

X_Toad posted:

It felt like a "vanilla Warcraft 3" situation to me : one is a big manual that gives all the details about the game, including the lore, and the other one is a smaller manual that focuses on the gameplay side of things.

The weird thing is that the german boxed version, only has one manual listed at the amazon page.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Pillars-Of-Eternity-Guidebook-Volume-One-HC___466930

US-based. Probably pricey to ship internationally.

US Amazon also has them, but they don't ship until the 26th 24th.

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 21, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

the Deflection element seems to stack with other Deflection debuffs after all, even though it . .shouldn't? Is this a bug or intended behavior?

Is the "Flanked" condition a separate deflection related condition from others? Like, here's a spell that's -10 deflection, there's a spell that applies flanked, total -20 or whatever.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

More seriously, have you had a chance to look at the Flanked/Phantom Foes thing? According to this thread here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71337-cipher-powers-need-to-be-tweaked-for-release/page-2

I thought debuffs stacked unless specifically mentioned otherwise. Why have the variety of fear or immobilize effects specify they overide each other or have eyestrike both blind and daze otherwise?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KPC_Mammon posted:

I thought debuffs stacked unless specifically mentioned otherwise. Why have the variety of fear or immobilize effects specify they overide each other or have eyestrike both blind and daze otherwise?

Debuffs, yes, but what we *thought* happened -- based on the stacking rules -- was that if, for example, you had two debuffs that had overlapping effects, the sub effects didn't stack. So for example, looking at the afflictions list: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Status_Effects, if a target is both Paralyzed and Prone, they'd have -40 Deflection, not -50 Deflection.

Stacking of the deflection penalty is separate from stacking of the affliction status, basically.

The -10 Deflection penalty from Flanked seems to be breaking this rule though, and stacking regardless, so confusion.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Probably because flanked is such a tactically important condition. If most debuffs superseded it positioning would become meaningless.

Edit: Offensively. It would still matter for aoe and defense, of course.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 21, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Hey rope kid!

Some modern computer DnD game needs to have a world-hopping story using the awesome 3d gemstone laser teleport map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMLCPPrq2Nw&t=990s

Decided I needed to crosspost this here. :smugwizard:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
How are skills levelled up? Or are they fixed at char creation?
How are abilities levelled up?
How are talents levelled up?

What sort of things do items buff? Skills, abilities or talents or a mixture?

I'm confused by the levelling system as a whole, tbh, and how you feel you are progressing if you only get xp for quests.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

I'm confused by the levelling system as a whole, tbh, and how you feel you are progressing if you only get xp for quests.
Are you only familiar with the Elder Scrolls' games or something?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WastedJoker posted:

How are skills levelled up? Or are they fixed at char creation?
How are abilities levelled up?
How are talents levelled up?

What sort of things do items buff? Skills, abilities or talents or a mixture?

There are tons of character creation/leveling videos on YouTube that answer your first few questions.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

X_Toad posted:

Are you only familiar with the Elder Scrolls' games or something?

Between those, various mmporg's and the passing of time, I am pretty unfamiliar with systems like this anymore.

I've googled around but I'm left even more puzzled the more I read.

Papercut posted:

There are tons of character creation/leveling videos on YouTube that answer your first few questions.

ohhhhh. I'll look there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WastedJoker posted:

ohhhhh. I'll look there.

I watched this guy's most recent videos on the classes I'm interested in to get an idea of the level progression and what skills/talents they have available:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Respekk

But basically, every level or other level you unlock skills and talents that you choose from (there is no "leveling" the skills/talents, you just unlock them), and you get stat points to distribute.

• Locked thread