Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

AkumaHokoru posted:

All he had was a dash 360 and a command normal that allowed him to combo that 360...and that command normal ate most attacks because the hurt box was waaaay in the back...and if you blocked it he could grab you anyway...god i miss grand dunk lord tizoc. (I got like 2nd place at the Rat Bastard SNK official tournament using tizoc. i'll never stand against the bird)

Actually I wasn't even talking about Tizoc.

I was talking about this motherfucker right here:

Jyazu they called him. This guy should've been taken out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I don't even remember Jyazu having anything except that wack rear end standing and jumping CD which to be fair were hilariously good, but on the other hand he didn't really have much besides that. Certainly no Gato/Kula/Oswald.

Kizuna Encounter Jyazu on the other hand... :unsmigghh:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

AnonSpore posted:

I don't even remember Jyazu having anything except that wack rear end standing and jumping CD which to be fair were hilariously good, but on the other hand he didn't really have much besides that. Certainly no Gato/Kula/Oswald.

Kizuna Encounter Jyazu on the other hand... :unsmigghh:

Then you probably haven't played a human player who can abuse all of his silly moves. Oswald may be great, but he's not some piss easy character unlike Jyazu.

Also, discovered some funny things with Tizoc like st.C being cancelable into 3C and that also being super cancelable. If you're good, you can buffer his grab super on the first hit of 3C.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 19, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

uncleKitchener posted:

Then you probably haven't played a human player who can abuse all of his silly moves. Oswald may be great, but he's not some piss easy character unlike Jyazu.

Also, discovered some funny things with Tizoc like st.C being cancelable into 3C and that also being super cancelable. If you're good, you can buffer his grab super on the first hit of 3C.

I dunno. Jyazu is a lot simpler execution wise, yeah, but I'd say Oswald with his hilarious crossup jC, juggle-from-anywhere leader super (complementary super high hitbox standing A to cut off hop pressure!) and the fact that there was a setup to get a guaranteed clean hit on that just frame uppercut thing definitely made him top tier over Jyazu. As a not-very-good KoF player he was definitely frustrating to face, though I never really got the sense that it was something insurmountable. I just wasn't gud enough. I used to watch Poongko play while I was waiting for my turn at the Isu arcade in Korea (rip) and he never had a problem with walking all over Jyazu.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

inthesto posted:

Wait, was being able to grab somebody out a blockstun a glitch or something, because that doesn't sound fair at all

it wasn't fair. tizoc's peck was 2 hits on block and had a slight delay between the two hits. you could either grab early after 1st or 2nd hit on 1st hit the block ended early on 2nd hit tizoc was still moving forward when the blockstun ended and he could scoop you up

uncleKitchener posted:

He can do this with most of his normals KOF empty cancels + his command throw = silly poo poo. (its worked in kof since poo poo...96?)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

AkumaHokoru posted:

He can do this with most of his normals KOF empty cancels + his command throw = silly poo poo. (its worked in kof since poo poo...96?)

Not with a whole lot of characters though, but I tried this the most with Yamazaki CD empty cancel into grab or super and Maxima cr.C into whatever grab.

Personally, I think Tizoc's grab should've been bcb f P instead. hcb is too easy for a really good grab like his, though the recovery is very very long.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
PS3 sticks will work on PS4 for MKX. That's pretty cool.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Gato is cool. I dont know about xi but hes cool in garou.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Predator was revealed for MKX.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/03/19/so-i-guess-predator-will-be-playable-in-mortal-kombat-x/

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Double posting-

The guy on SRK who sells the PS360+ posted more info on the PS4 compatability- he's been working on a fix to stop the 8 minute timeout, forcing you to hit 3K-Option-Share each time.

quote:

Still finalizing it, has to be 100% solid to be released, hopefully end of this month we have a working piece of kit. This will be a plug n play pcb to the PS360+, no soldering. If we make a new PS360+ with everything included on one board in the future, who knows, let´s make the add-on board work 100% first of all.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So with the ps3 sticks working on ps4 announcement for MK, is there any solid sticks I should look out for on ps3/places to purchase from?

I've had my original 360 TE since day 1 and when it finally poo poo itself I got a TE2, so I haven't exactly had the widest amount of experience with other sticks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

So with the ps3 sticks working on ps4 announcement for MK, is there any solid sticks I should look out for on ps3/places to purchase from?

I've had my original 360 TE since day 1 and when it finally poo poo itself I got a TE2, so I haven't exactly had the widest amount of experience with other sticks.

Looks like MadCatz is only selling the PS4/PS3 TE2s right now. No deals for Final Round :(

Keep an eye on the SRK trade board, people sell there from time to time. Otherwise grab a Qanba if you don't want to pay $200 for the TE2.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Has there been any news for Tekken 7 getting a PC release?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Ask Harada he's on Twitter bro

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So uh.. I started playing Ken in Ultra and I've started to notice how easy it is to build momentum especially with his step kick mix ups. It's that just a normal rush down character thing because I've always played characters like ryu and it's a great feeling to actually to just start dominating the flow of the match.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Has there been any news for Tekken 7 getting a PC release?

Harada said it was going to happen

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Bosushi! posted:

PS3 sticks will work on PS4 for MKX. That's pretty cool.

Yeah, you can thank Lab Zero for that. Netherealm licensed the stick driver they made.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Harada said it was going to happen

Neat. He said "PC players don't like fighting games" with TTT2, right?

I sure as poo poo ain't buying a PS4 for one game. :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mogomra posted:

Neat. He said "PC players don't like fighting games" with TTT2, right?

I sure as poo poo ain't buying a PS4 for one game. :colbert:

Since then literally every other fighting game that isn't Virtua Fighter or Tekken/Soul Calibur came out on PC and has done pretty well so joke's on Harada.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Since then literally every other fighting game that isn't Virtua Fighter or Tekken/Soul Calibur came out on PC and has done pretty well so joke's on Harada.

Guilty Gear Isuka and every other fighter on Steam with no multiplayer

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I had a very interesting discussion with Tom Lee of Team Ninja and Big E of TFC/Final Round. This might be word salad because I've had 3 Jaegerbombs and 2 screwdrivers and I really want to take a nap now but I'll fix it later with an non abridged version. The abridged version is that they have no idea why DOA gets low turn out at tournaments when they have the largest fighting game community on Xbox Live/PSN by individual numbers(wouldn't elaborate on if it was unique or recurring users). DOA5U outsold TTT2(wouldn't say by how much). DOA6 probably will not happen(this came up when I mentioned that DOA5 feels like the MKvsDC in that the next game will bring it back to the big boys). DOAX3 probably will happen. Big E is going to start working with DOA players to try and get some online warriors to offline events. Specifically in regards to players who can't afford to go.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Guilty Gear Isuka and every other fighter on Steam with no multiplayer

That's just Arksys being garbage as usual though.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Neo Helbeast posted:

I had a very interesting discussion with Tom Lee of Team Ninja and Big E of TFC/Final Round. This might be word salad because I've had 3 Jaegerbombs and 2 screwdrivers and I really want to take a nap now but I'll fix it later with an non abridged version. The abridged version is that they have no idea why DOA gets low turn out at tournaments when they have the largest fighting game community on Xbox Live/PSN by individual numbers(wouldn't elaborate on if it was unique or recurring users). DOA5U outsold TTT2(wouldn't say by how much). DOA6 probably will not happen(this came up when I mentioned that DOA5 feels like the MKvsDC in that the next game will bring it back to the big boys). DOAX3 probably will happen. Big E is going to start working with DOA players to try and get some online warriors to offline events. Specifically in regards to players who can't afford to go.

It's probably people who are too ashamed to be seen playing it in public

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Turns out that when you sell your game on T&A, most of your playerbase won't be very serious about going out to tournament

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007
It's probably because the ratio of casual players to serious players is really high compared to other games. And by "serious" I don't mean players who are good, I mean players--even beginners--who try to learn how to play properly and play against other people regularly.

As for DoA having the largest number of players on PSN and XBL, that sounds pretty bogus to me.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Fruitsnacks posted:

It's probably because the ratio of casual players to serious players is really high compared to other games. And by "serious" I don't mean players who are good, I mean players--even beginners--who try to learn how to play properly and play against other people regularly.

As for DoA having the largest number of players on PSN and XBL, that sounds pretty bogus to me.

free to play helps a bunch, i'd imagine

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Isn't Tecmo really dumb about sponsoring/buying their way into relevant events, too? Like, they put all their money into IGN Pro League or some fuckin' thing.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Fruitsnacks posted:

Those are just people who bothered to learn the game and playing online, not really serious players who put a lot of time into specific match-up, specific situational combos/punishes and system exploits. People with decent aim in FPS games who play regularly aren't serious players compared to people who maximize all their loadouts or memorize map spawns. They just learned to play the game and play it with people.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 23, 2015

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Whelp just had the worlds most awkward conversation with Harada.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Isn't Tecmo really dumb about sponsoring/buying their way into relevant events, too? Like, they put all their money into IGN Pro League or some fuckin' thing.

When 5 launched yeah they did, but for U/LR it's the more traditional venues. Problem they're having is with the stigma Itigaki left with franchise, Jebailey absolutely hates DOA and the only way to get it back at CEO is it having large numbers at Summer Jam and EVO, so that's what we're going push for.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

free to play helps a bunch, i'd imagine

That's my guess too.

inthesto posted:

Turns out that when you sell your game on T&A, most of your playerbase won't be very serious about going out to tournament

Tom Lee almost got into a frothy rage about the T&A marketing, he's like if you do this we won't have a respected/lasting community, HQ is like but we make shitloads of money on DLC so why stop?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Neo Helbeast posted:

I'd like to address this with the two posts below:

Fruitsnacks posted:

MrJacobs posted:

Those are just people who bothered to learn the game and playing online, not really serious players who put a lot of time into specific match-up, specific situational combos/punishes and system exploits. People with decent aim in FPS games who play regularly aren't serious players compared to people who maximize all their loadouts or memorize map spawns. They just learned to play the game and play it with people.

Both are correct. There's a larger casual playerbase of people who are more interested with pressing buttons and playing this game the way they want to play. They don't know how the engine even works and simply think that they are supposed to play the game in a certain way with just stunning or pressing buttons where they're not supposed to or where they think they can.

Out of 90% of matches I've watched of this game, the number of people who actually knew how to punish and were actively punishing is extremely low. Now, this may be an issue people may be having with the multiple tiers of throw speed in this game and every move having its own frames, but that's the case with every other game, which leads me to strongly believe that people don't actually bother learning the game outside of the basics. The engine does give some leeway and to make a comebacks, but that has its limits too and people can't rely on pure leads alone with a triangle system like in DOA.

That was two years ago, though. I don't know if they've blown all their money on that or not, but they've been having Tom Lee during those majors for more than a year.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

uncleKitchener posted:

That was two years ago, though. I don't know if they've blown all their money on that or not, but they've been having Tom Lee during those majors for more than a year.

There was an implication by Tom Lee that if tourney numbers don't go up, technical support is going to dry up and all we'd be left with is costume updates.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't imagine the casual/dedicated divide is that much bigger for DOA than other mainstream fighting games, f2p or not.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Problem they're having is with the stigma Itigaki left with franchise,

I know what you mean by this but I'd wager that most people remember Itagaki's legacy as being a huge skeeve, so in that respect they haven't addressed the stigma at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 23, 2015

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

I can't imagine the casual/dedicated divide is that much bigger for DOA than other mainstream fighting games, f2p or not.

You can't? Have you played DOA?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Neo Helbeast posted:

There was an implication by Tom Lee that if tourney numbers don't go up, technical support is going to dry up and all we'd be left with is costume updates.

I don't know how long the costumes end up supporting this game in the long run either.

DOA followed by SC have pretty big casual followings. The UK community has a massive contrast between the casual and dedicated players. Tournaments never have big numbers unless we manage to bring in other European players.

Online on the other hand has very good numbers.

On the other hand, more Tekken and VF players have started to play this game and in a short amount of time, they end up being as good as the top DOA players. This is where the f2p platform ends up being useful.

quote:

I know what you mean by this but I'd wager that most people remember Itagaki's legacy as being a huge skeeve, so in that respect they haven't addressed the stigma at all.

It's divided; his tinkering with DOA4 pretty much exposed his understanding of fighting games to be that of a 90s developer making a fighting game based on feel and making lovely decisions like 'oh this character shouldn't beat a ninja, gently caress him/her' or letting his alcoholism turn him into a clown.

But, he also helped create the new Ninja Gaiden games, so he ends up with some rabid supporters.

Personally, I think he can be smart, but the man should not be trusted with fighting game development.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So unless you REALLY want to play it on launch day and online, there's no real reason to get Mortal Kombat X or pre-order it for a while, right? Seems MK9 and Injustice proved that there's a ton of DLC that they'll eventually just include in an ultimate edition. I'm interested in playing it for the story but if it's anything like Injustice I'll quickly lose interest in playing it online.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Medullah posted:

So unless you REALLY want to play it on launch day and online, there's no real reason to get Mortal Kombat X or pre-order it for a while, right? Seems MK9 and Injustice proved that there's a ton of DLC that they'll eventually just include in an ultimate edition. I'm interested in playing it for the story but if it's anything like Injustice I'll quickly lose interest in playing it online.

If history is any indication you could sell your preorder bonuses to cover most of the cost of the game.

But yeah, it's almost guaranteed to have a GAME OF THE YEAR edition at some point.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Medullah posted:

You apparently get Goro but I never saw the word "pre-order exclusive" anywhere so yeah, don't waste your money. The price on MK9 dropped like a tank shortly after release.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sarchasm posted:

If history is any indication you could sell your preorder bonuses to cover most of the cost of the game.

But yeah, it's almost guaranteed to have a GAME OF THE YEAR edition at some point.

Heh yeah, i sold my pre-order Sub Zero outfit for MK9 on ebay for $80. Literally two days later they announced it as a new DLC pack. I felt a LITTLE guilty but hey, that's life

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Playing winners finals, losers finals and grand finals back to back is exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Pomp posted:

Playing winners finals, losers finals and grand finals back to back is exhausting.

It really is, even more so if it's on stream, I get mad jitters when I'm on stream and I'll drop stuff like I play for the Baltimore Ravens.

• Locked thread