Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What tools does a tank have for managing aggro / making fools attack them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Engagement. If I get up in your face, you can't try to move past without me getting a free hit off.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Smiling Knight posted:

Engagement. If I get up in your face, you can't try to move past without me getting a free hit off.

But since they're a tank, won't that be a single puny hit? Well worth taking?

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Lone Badger posted:

Walking up to the enemy. The AI will pretty much attack the first thing it sees. Forever.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Lone Badger posted:

I tend to charge him in solo ahead of time with the fighter. I probably should take Hold the Line to lock an extra baddie in engagement. Also try to use chokepoints. Then BB Priest shoots with the quest-reward gun, BB mage fires spells, and custom chanter uses spears from behind. I'm pretty sure I'm not using BB rogue ideally. I tend to have him shoot from the back a lot too.

Probably far, far, far from optimal, but I seem to be doing okay. :shobon:

Also, the 2nd level priest spell consecrated ground is crazy good. +12 endurance a second for nearly 30 seconds in a fairly big circle. BB priest can just plant behind the front guys, shoot her gun and keep everyone topped off. I had one battle in the temple where my custom chanter ended up going from max health/endurance to nearly 0 health because consecrated ground was keeping her healed up when she was in an exposed spot getting whaled on.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Counterpoint: Paladin Tank

(I can turn on my mirror image cloak for a bonus 20+ deflection. It says 20 but seems more like 30 or 35 in practice? Takes me up to ~137)

But then a barbarian with Brute Force (target fortitude if it's lower than deflection) shows up and you get pummeled into the ground.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fintilgin posted:

I tend to charge him in solo ahead of time with the fighter. I probably should take Hold the Line to lock an extra baddie in engagement. Also try to use chokepoints. Then BB Priest shoots with the quest-reward gun, BB mage fires spells, and custom chanter uses spears from behind. I'm pretty sure I'm not using BB rogue ideally. I tend to have him shoot from the back a lot too.

Probably far, far, far from optimal, but I seem to be doing okay. :shobon:

Also, the 2nd level priest spell consecrated ground is crazy good. +12 endurance a second for nearly 30 seconds in a fairly big circle. BB priest can just plant behind the front guys, shoot her gun and keep everyone topped off. I had one battle in the temple where my custom chanter ended up going from max health/endurance to nearly 0 health because consecrated ground was keeping her healed up when she was in an exposed spot getting whaled on.

Yeah you have to watch that with consecrated ground. Normally I'll also drop the first-level priest spell that boosts damage resistance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

rope kid posted:

Yeah it wasn't designed to completely get rid of attacks that miss, but to ameliorate D&D's trend toward 1/round attacks that have an overwhelming chance of missing at at low levels.

Hey Ropekid, I know you've gone into some examples of good names for Aedyr/Vailian Republics/Glanfathan characters, but what about a Coastal Aumaua from Rauatai? I believe that's where the Coastal Aumaua predominantly congregate anyway.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How do you guys manage camping supplies? It seems like you run out pretty fast.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StashAugustine posted:

Don't take damage

Seriously that's the answer. Use CC abilities heavily and make sure you have active damage resistance and deflection buffs. The chanter's enemy offense debuffs help too.

That's where understanding the stacking rules helps a lot. You can't stack three separate DR buffs, but you can stack a Deflection buff, a DR buff, and an enemy Accuracy debuff all at once just fine, and you do enough of that kind of thing you can waltz through successive encounters in relative safety.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 23, 2015

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hey Ropekid, I know you've gone into some examples of good names for Aedyr/Vailian Republics/Glanfathan characters, but what about a Coastal Aumaua from Rauatai? I believe that's where the Coastal Aumaua predominantly congregate anyway.
Yeah, I'd love to hear more about the languages and names of the less talked about places. I want to do a character from the Deadfire Archipelago or The White that Wends first, but I don't know what would be appropriate.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah you have to watch that with consecrated ground. Normally I'll also drop the first-level priest spell that boosts damage resistance.
Those two plus the + accuracy over a huge area spell are all very, very good. I don't think I'll be bringing a wizard along in the full game; a cipher, priest, and druid should really have all of that covered and then some.

StashAugustine posted:

Don't rest as much, mostly. What's triggering your rest, spells or health? If its health, try casting more spells: an ideal mix would be that you run out of spells as soon as you start needing to rest for health reasons.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rauatai names are loosely based on Maori.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

rope kid posted:

:toot:

Culturally I'm going Living Lands but I figure Living Lands most likely doesn't have a distinct linguistic flavor given it's a sparsely populated colonial zone, so Rauatai seemed the best place to start for a Coastal Aumaua in the Living Lands.

I'm loving all the lore for this game so far. The touch about Godlike being legally considered genderless in the Vailian Republics because they can't produce children amused the hell out of me.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 23, 2015

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

rope kid posted:

Awesome!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I'm loving all the lore for this game so far. The touch about Godlike being legally considered genderless in the Vailian Republics because they can't produce marriage amused the hell out of me.
I want the almanac to come out so badly.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Lone Badger posted:

But since they're a tank, won't that be a single puny hit? Well worth taking?
At this point I think people may be underestimating how devastating debuffs (like disengagement penalties) can be, especially on harder difficulties.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

CommissarMega posted:

I'm definitely rolling a Goldpact Paladin with arquebus and two-handed sword for maximum Landsknecht, and I'll be playing Unser Liebe Fraue the whole goddamn time :allears:

Also, if you're playing a classic barbarian or some sort of wild man, Vulgaaris Magistralis might be your thing.

More music:

Wir Zogen In Das Feld
Die Landsknechte Kommen (mandatory of course)
Joerg von Frundsberg, fuerht uns an

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Where do barbarians come from lore wise? I don't really know much about the lore and seeing guns and stuff had me thinking that societies were a bit more technologically advanced than you would think of as "barbaric."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can someone break down all of the cultures into "Not-XXX (but XXX)"?

Can someone link me to rope kid providing some example names? I think that would help a lot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Can someone break down all of the cultures into "Not-XXX (but XXX)"?

Can someone link me to rope kid providing some example names? I think that would help a lot.

This page is basically a copy/paste of stuff Ropekid posted a while back.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Personal_Names

The wiki mostly just collates stuff he's said on different forums. It has some good stuff on the world cultures so I definitely recommend poking around.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Drifter posted:

Please please PLEASE guys please use spoiler tags liberally for the next few weeks.
Some people only get to play games here and there... :/

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bogarts posted:

Where do barbarians come from lore wise? I don't really know much about the lore and seeing guns and stuff had me thinking that societies were a bit more technologically advanced than you would think of as "barbaric."

My take is: You probably are taking the class name too literally. Barbarian is a fighting style, not a cultural background or what have you.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

rope kid posted:

Taumatawhakatangihangakōauauotamateapōkaiwhenuakitanatahu the Kind Wayfarer, let's do this. :slick:

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Bogarts posted:

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Barbarian

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can you play a barbarian as a suave swanky vailian who just gets these headaches?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
rope kid, what is knighthood like in this world? My Paladin can't not be named Sir/Ser.

Thanks for the wiki, answered that question perfectly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

:toot:

Culturally I'm going Living Lands but I figure Living Lands most likely doesn't have a distinct linguistic flavor given it's a sparsely populated colonial zone, so Rauatai seemed the best place to start for a Coastal Aumaua in the Living Lands.

I'm loving all the lore for this game so far. The touch about Godlike being legally considered genderless in the Vailian Republics because they can't produce children amused the hell out of me.

Ooh they're infertile? So if a godlike was born to like, high society parents with no other children they'd hate it because their bloodline will end with you probably. I've been wondering what sort of backstory my PC might have and "kicked out by my well-to-do parents with nothing but the clothes on my back because they resent me for never being able to give them a grandchild" seems compelling enough.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Ooh they're infertile? So if a godlike was born to like, high society parents with no other children they'd hate it because their bloodline will end with you probably. I've been wondering what sort of backstory my PC might have and "kicked out by my well-to-do parents with nothing but the clothes on my back because they resent me for never being able to give them a grandchild" seems compelling enough.

Godlike cannot reproduce and because of this they often times have trouble with the concept of marriage because, well, most societies view marriage as a construct designed to facilitate and safeguard reproduction and little else. The Vailan Republics legally consider Godlikes sexless regardless of what they look like and this means that legal constructs that specifically name a gender can cause problems for them.

Paraphrased from the wiki.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Lone Badger posted:

Can you play a barbarian as a suave swanky vailian who just gets these headaches?

As far as I can tell that should work. Pick Vailian / aristocrat background then whuurps that class doesn't fit

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rookersh posted:

Human.

Male.

Fighter.

:getin:
Shepard?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What kind of gender options will be available

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Male, Female, Godlike.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rookersh posted:

Human.

Male.

Fighter.

:getin:

Would be doing this if the game didn't have the shark-teeth people with bigger Might bonus

guy on the left sold me to that race

frajaq fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2015

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Due to lazy, unprofessional game development, there'll sadly be 11 classes, 6 races and only two gender options. You're stuck choosing between m/f buddy, because who likes giving people an actually realistic third/fourth/fifth/sixth gender choice.

Plus even then it's just a cosmetic difference because lol Absurdian

Godlike is still assigned a gender during character creation I'm pretty sure, need to choose what type of armour models they wear n stuff, it's not a real third option.

Urthor fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 23, 2015

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
You can assign a female portrait and voice even if you pick male and vice versa so that's something.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

frajaq posted:

Would be doing this if the game didn't have the shark-teeth people with bigger Might bonus

guy on the left sold me to that race

The dude on the right seriously looks like a recolored IWD2 portrait. I'm too lazy to find it, but if you messed around with that game I think you know the one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Urthor posted:

Due to lazy, unprofessional game development, there'll sadly be 11 classes, 6 races and only two gender options. You're stuck choosing between m/f buddy, because who likes giving people an actually realistic third/fourth/fifth/sixth gender choice.

Plus even then it's just a cosmetic difference because lol Absurdian

Godlike is still assigned a gender during character creation I'm pretty sure, need to choose what type of armour models they wear n stuff, it's not a real third option.

Disappointing lack of any playable race at all that reproduces either abiogenetically or parthenogenetically.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Firstborn posted:

The dude on the right seriously looks like a recolored IWD2 portrait. I'm too lazy to find it, but if you messed around with that game I think you know the one.

There's a portrait it kind of resembles, similar hair and beard with a cloak, but the pose and angle of the face is very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Disappointing lack of any playable race at all that reproduces either abiogenetically or parthenogenetically.

If this had been a stretch goal you know Obsidian would be set for life

• Locked thread