Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

Redgrendel2001 posted:

So Cliff Alexander will definitely be in this year's draft?
Yeah, the Maine Red Claws are going to get a gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lol kansas fans

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hello I would very much like to know about SEC Player Of The Year Bobby Portis

:3:

recent SEC Player of the Years have gone on to be Anthony Davis, John Wall, and also a dude who is doing quite well for himself as a starter for the Cairn Taipans in Australia so I'm not sure what the Award means

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I talked about him a few pages ago I think. I like him. Doesn't seem to have any serious flaws that jump out. Might be kinda bad at defensive rotations because that team's defense is garbage if they aren't forcing turnovers. But he has decent size for a 4, can score from all over, and is a good rebounder/shot blocker. I think he's a little undervalued at the moment but his stock seems to be rising. He should go somewhere in the middle/end of the lottery.

Realistically Towns was the actual best player/prospect in the SEC, but until about the last month or so he wasn't really producing like it for a variety of reasons, some his fault and some just UK being so deep. But Portis is really good.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 11, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Portis has good size but he's underwhelming from a strength/speed standpoint. Not slow, not weak, just average on both points.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

I talked about him a few pages ago I think. I like him. Doesn't seem to have any serious flaws that jump out. Might be kinda bad at defensive rotations because that team's defense is garbage if they aren't forcing turnovers. But he has decent size for a 4, can score from all over, and is a good rebounder/shot blocker. I think he's a little undervalued at the moment but his stock seems to be rising. He should go somewhere in the middle/end of the lottery.

Realistically Towns was the actual best player/prospect in the SEC, but until about the last month or so he wasn't really producing like it for a variety of reasons, some his fault and some just UK being so deep. But Portis is really good.

Ah, you did, I missed it. I was rereading True Grit then so my brain couldn't handle an additional Portis until I seen the picture:

MourningView posted:

I really like Portis and I'm not sure why he isn't higher. He scores well inside and out, rebounds, blocks shots, and seems pretty athletic. He was a big time recruit and played well as freshman too so it's not like he's out of nowhere. Ford says he's not and explosive athlete but he seems fine to me and is good at stuff that typical corresponds with athleticism

Yeah I don't know what explosive athlete really means aside from dunking ability. Some kinda advanced metric of vertical leap divided by weight? I've watched a lil video now and he doesn't jump very high but he runs well for a big dude. Anyhow from what I've seen I'm 100% satisfied calling him The Next Kevin Garnett, evidence as follows:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

edit: will try later from something other than a phone.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
GP2 has been leaping up the draftboards since MV pointed out that a high college steals rate converts well to NBA play, and The Glove's brood is one of the NCAA leaders in steals. His dad says he's not aggressive enough tho'.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
He's also a rare NBA son who isn't markedly less athletic and generally smaller than his father due to marrying a cute short un-athletic woman

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

He's also a rare NBA son who isn't markedly less athletic and generally smaller than his father due to marrying a cute short un-athletic woman

You seem to be pushing basketball Eugenics. On one hand that seems deplorable, on the other its how we got Yao.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Lockback posted:

You seem to be pushing basketball Eugenics. On one hand that seems deplorable, on the other its how we got Yao.

Andrew Wiggins, too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The is government should have forced LeBron and Candace Parker to breed but instead we didn't and she had kids with loving Sheldon Williams

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
^Hopefully they got her looks.

EvanTH posted:

GP2 has been leaping up the draftboards since MV pointed out that a high college steals rate converts well to NBA play, and The Glove's brood is one of the NCAA leaders in steals. His dad says he's not aggressive enough tho'.

How's GP2's trash-talk game though? His dad was all-world in that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

The is government should have forced LeBron and Candace Parker to breed but instead we didn't and she had kids with loving Sheldon Williams

LeBron's son turned out all right though!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

kiimo posted:

Well he only has like twenty scholarship offers in the fourth grade so he's okay I guess

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Yeah because LeBron is a freak. If he'd married Parker and the kid had freak genes on both sides that kid would be dunking already

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Andrew Wiggins the rare case that the mother elevated the NBA genes.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Wasn't Shabazz Muhammad literally a product of his dad's Eugenics strategy?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Wasn't Shabazz Muhammad literally a product of his dad's Eugenics strategy?

Somewhat. His parents were both point guards and they produced a guy who doesn't pass.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Igor Strelkov posted:

Tim Hardaway Jr. may be the best case of this since hes both taller and maybe more athletic somehow

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Glenn Robinson III is much worse at basketball but more athletic than his dad, although that doesn't take a whole lot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So who are this year's best mid-major prospects? Usually the tourney is their time to shine, but there have certainly not been any Stephen Currys, Kenneth Farieds, Isaiah Canaans or even Kyle O'Quinns off the top of my head this year.

I'm guessing Mamadou N'Diaye is staying in school, but does he have a future? He's certainly more skilled than Sim Bhullar or Kenny George were.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

So who are this year's best mid-major prospects? Usually the tourney is their time to shine, but there have certainly not been any Stephen Currys, Kenneth Farieds, Isaiah Canaans or even Kyle O'Quinns off the top of my head this year.

I'm guessing Mamadou N'Diaye is staying in school, but does he have a future? He's certainly more skilled than Sim Bhullar or Kenny George were.

Just going down the list:

RJ Hunter, Georgia State- Pure shooter who isn't very athletic, can do a few other things
Kriss Dunn, Providence (is providence a mid major the big east is practically the sun belt in this day and age)- rim attacking point guard

Treveon Graham, VCU- multidimensional sg
Keifer Sykes, Wisconsin Green Bay- 5'11 super athletic point guard who's really fun to watch

There are more guys. Workouts and desire to play in europe for 2 years or in the d-league will determine wether they're drafted or not

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 23, 2015

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Declan MacManus posted:

Somewhat. His parents were both point guards and they produced a guy who doesn't pass.

Point guards, yes, but both of them were not pure passers (PP). They were pretty good passers (Pp) who produced a son who inherited their recessive genes (pp).

Actual content: Keifer Sykes is amazing and I hope he gets drafted; his athleticism is crazy but smaller players like him do get passed up. I think Hunter has more athleticism than he gets credit for but I'm not sure what is comp is.

DraftExpress has Jakob Poeltl knocking on the door of the lottery and he'd be a great complementary big man.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
^^^ Utah is not a mid-major. :confused:

Henchman of Santa posted:

RJ Hunter would be the big one. His 3pt% fell off a cliff this year, but I think it's mostly because he was Georgia State's only good player and had to chuck up a ton of bad shots. Prior to that he was a really efficient scorer, and he reportedly looked really good at the LeBron camp. He'll be a first rounder.

Tyler Harvey lead the nation in scoring for Eastern Washington, and looked good even when they played against better competition. He's incredibly efficient for someone who takes as many shots as he does, especially from 3. I think he's could be a steal in the second. He's kinda scrawny, a so-so athlete, and a little on the small end for a SG, but he can shoot the ball and has a good off the dribble game too.

Some people really like Ron Baker for WSU, but I think it depends on whether or not you think he can play PG. Personally I don't see it. He can shoot though, so he should get a look.

quote:

eeeehhhh, someone will give him a look but I doubt it. He's really slow and actually not nearly as good defensively as you'd think someone that big would be. He doesn't block shots at the rate you'd expect and teams have a ton of success either going right at him or especially attacking him in the pick and roll.

I'm gonna try to do a NBA draft guide to the sweet 16 with the players to watch for every team left later.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 23, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
N'Diaye is obviously nothing but size, so he's gonna get drafted by the Jazz and developed into an all-time defender as they do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Go Bear is actually quick too, relatively speaking, and he has a little bit of skill. He's good at cutting to the basket and a surprisingly awesome passer considering his size.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
And once there was a huge 20 year old that a junior college assistant coach found fixing cars and the Jazz took him in the third round and now he's the all-time NBA leader in blocked shots. I may have skipped over one or two things in this summary.

Mamadou is a West African form of Muhammad and N'Diaye is a very common Senegalese last name so there is no guarantee that his career course will be the same professional lackluster as the previous Mamadou N'Diaye. It's the French African form of just like being named John Smith, which doesn't imply that I have to handcraft luxury artisanal toilets all day, but it is something I very much enjoy doing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

Some people really like Ron Baker for WSU, but I think it depends on whether or not you think he can play PG. Personally I don't see it. He can shoot though, so he should get a look.

I don't get why he doesn't have better assist numbers than he does, he seems to have the body to be a speedy little point guard. Guess that's what happens when you just sit on the wing, probably a missed opportunity for him to work on his game. I think he's been a pretty stellar college player, but yeah, he'd probably need some NBDL work to diversify his skillset.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

I'm gonna try to do a NBA draft guide to the sweet 16 with the players to watch for every team left later.

I really want to read this and can you talk about Arvydas' son even though I guess he probably won't enter the draft until at least next year?

edit: He's so much smaller than his legendary dad because dumb father chose to marry Lithuania's Best Babe Contest Winner instead of the pure basketball eugenics route we espouse nowadays:

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 23, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

I really want to read this and can you talk about Arvydas' son even though I guess he probably won't enter the draft until at least next year?

I'm writing it right now and I do! I really like him.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

sabonis the lesser will conquer basketball

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
gently caress Yeah here's a celebratory linked 19mb Arvydas Gif
http://i.imgur.com/8TWULU5.gif

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I want him to succeed as much as the next guy who thinks his name owns and his story is good, but N'Diaye can't even rebound or move against college frontcourt players. He's going to get absolutely demolished in the pros.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The MV Guide To Who I Should Care About In This Tournament as an NBA Fan:

Wichita State vs Notre Dame :

Wichita:

Ron Baker, G: Good shooter, good size if you think he can play point (I don't), pretty good rebounder for his size; borderline first rounder because of lack of shooting in this draft.

Fred VanVleet, PG: insert you favorite cliche for heady older point guards; not a good shooter/scorer, second rounder

Notre Dame:

Jerian Grant, PG: Great size for a PG, pretty good athlete, does a little of everything. Old for a prospect, had grade issues, not a great shooter. Late/mid first due to lack of point guards.

Demetrius Jackson, PG: Great athlete, good passer, good shooter; kinda smallish, gets overshadowed because Grant dominates the ball and because he wasn't very good as a freshman. Probably 2nd rounder right now but I love him as a sleeper and he could blow up in workouts.

North Carolina vs Wisconsin

UNC:
Justin Jackson F: Good size/athlete/shooting potential, pretty raw and inconsistent. Skinny as heck too. 2nd rounder right now, but possible first round next year

Marcus Paige, PG: Great college player. So-so athlete, not really a pure point, had kind of a down year. 2nd rounder, probably goes back

JP Tokoto, F: Great athlete, very good defender, no offensive skill at all. 2nd rounder

Kennedy Meeks, PF/C: Strong as hell, really productive and efficent scorer/rebounder at the college level. Short for a post, plays under the rim. 2nd rounder, but kinda intriguing as a sleeper.

Wisconsin:

Frank Kaminsky, PF/C: Probably college player of the year. Best stretch big in the draft. Skilled post game, rebounds/defends pretty well in college, exceptional outside shooter. Skinny as hell and not super athletic, not sure who he guards at the next level. Should go late lottery

Sam Dekker, SF: Supposedly an analytic darling but I've never seen it. Does a lot of things well but isn't great at anything and doesn't have 3 point range on his jumper. More athletic than you'd guess but not a stand out in that regard. First rounder but I don't like him at all.

Nigel Hayes, SF/PF: Undersized 4, climbing boards right now. Good all around offensive game, good athlete, plays tough D, smart. Not a very good rebounder and seems stuck between the 3 and 4 to me. Borderline first rounder.

West Virginia vs Kentucky

West Virginia:

No one really

Kentucky:
Karl Anthony-Towns, PF/C: The one guy who can really challenge Okafor for the top spot. Incredible size/athlete combo who is an excellent rebounder/shot blocker. Rapidly improving offensive player who really started to take over as the year went on. Flashes of a good jump shot/off the bounce game for a big. Really good free throw shooter. People who saw him in high school say he's more skilled than he gets to show at UK. Top 3 pick.

Willie-Cauley Stein, C: Best defensive player in the draft, can credibly defend wings, bigs, and even college PGs at time. Elite shotblocker. Surprisingly meh defensive rebounder, but really good on the offensive end. No offensive skill at all, but incredible athlete who can finish on cuts and lobs. Been around for a long time and never really took a big leap, but there are people who think he's the next Tyson Chandler. Lottery pick.

Devin Booker, SG: Maybe the best shooter in the draft. Doesn't do a ton else right now, but teams are desperate for shooting and there's not much of it in this draft. Late lottery.

Trey Lyles, PF: One of the biggest gaps between rep and production in the draft. He hasn't been asked to do much at UK, but he's playing out of position and they're so deep it's hard to shine. Hasn't shot the ball super well in college, but everyone who has seen him practice or watched him in high school claims he's one of the most skilled big guys in the country. Not an especially great athlete. Mid/late first round

Dakari Johnson, C: Good rebounder/defender, good athlete, super efficient scorer around the basket. Kinda limited skills-wise. Limited minutes because UK is so deep. Seems like a solid backup big. Late first/early 2nd.

There are other dudes on this team who could go in the 2nd too but man who has the time. UK is cray cray.

Xavier vs Arizona

Xavier:
No one of note

Arizona:

Stanley Johnson, SF: Strong as hell, not afraid to be a go-to guy, plays good defense, good shooter. Pretty good athlete but not quite as good as his high school rep, so he’s actually been a kind of so-so finisher. Draws lots of fouls though. Top 10.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, SF: Super athletic, great finisher around the basket, best wing defender in the draft, cannot dribble or shoot for poo poo. Late first rounder.

TJ McConnell, PG: Good shooter, smart passer, tries hard on D. Not very athletic. Can probably be a third PG for someone. Second rounder

Kaleb Tarzcewski: NBA size/strength/athleticism. Good rebounder. Iffy rim protector. No offensive skill at all. Second rounder.

UCLA vs. Gonzaga

UCLA:

Kevon Looney, PF: Exceptional rebounder, especially on the offensive end. Huge wingspan. Was alleged to be a skilled ball handler/passer/shooter for his size coming out of high school but has never shown it in college. Not nearly as productive as he should be, but there’s lot of potential. First round, possible late lottery, but dropping.

Norman Powell, SG: Athletic and quick, good finisher, can get to the basket. Not a good shooter, on the short end for a SG. 2nd rounder.

Gonzaga:

Domantas Sabonis, PF/C: Really strong. Fairly athletic. Legit size. Plays super hard when he’s in the game. Rebounds everything, and shows flashes of being good at shooting, passing, and facing up and attacking off the dribble. Still kinda raw and inconsistent, but the tools are all there. I really like him. Late first.

Kyle Wiltjer, PF: 6’10” with a great jumper, but that’s about it. Slow as gently caress. Horrendous defender, not athletic enough to take guys off the dribble, not strong enough to post up. Really good college player though. Second round maybe.

Kevin Pangos, PG: Really good shooter, decent distributer, pretty quick. Not very big or athletic, and looks to score before setting others up. Second rounder.

NC State vs Louisville

NC State:

No One

Louisville:

Montrezl Harrell, PF/C: Pretty much everything you could want in a third big. Pretty raw on offense (his jumper is better, but he needs to quit bothering with threes because he’s awful at it), but he’s strong, athletic, and finishes well around the basket. Very good defensive player and shotblocker. Great rebounder. Not much of a ceiling but one of the highest floors in the draft. Mid-firsts, maybe late lottery

Terry Rozier, PG: Super quick, good athlete, gets to the basket, plays good defense. Takes dumb shots and forces things, but also the only real scorer on his team. Not a good shooter. Not really a point guard in any sense other than being short. Could be a fun bench gunner. Mid/late first.

Utah vs. Duke

Utah:

Delon Wright, PG: Huge for a PG, and plays like a legit point guard. Great at getting to the rim to create shots for himself or others. Plays good defense. Rebounds extremely well for the position. Not a good shooter, and really old for a prospect at 23. Mid/late first round.

Jacob Poeltl, C: Legit 7 footer with long arms. Really athletic and moves well for a guy his size. Finishes well on the pick and roll. Good shot blocker and rebounder, especially on the offensive side. Pretty iffy as a scorer beyond dunks and putbacks, although he will sometimes hit a mid-range jumper and give people hope. Pretty skinny, can sometimes look awkward and lost. Has a very fun to say name. Mid/late first.

Duke:

Jahlil Okafor, C: Most polished offensive post player in over a decade at least. Incredibly smooth and coordinated for someone his size. Very good rebounder. Excellent passer out of double teams. Legit center size. Not an amazing athlete, kinda slow footed and lazy on D although he shows flashes of being a decent rim protector and is big enough to deter drives when he bothers to put in the effort. Does not really fit the modern big man mold, but there are also very rarely big guys this gifted in the post. Probable first pick, top 3 at worst

Justise Winslow, SF: Exceptional athlete who is strong and has an NBA body. Good size. Works hard on D and the glass. Finishes well at the basket. Shooting surprisingly well from 3. Ungodly bad mid-range shooting percentages that make you worry his percentage from 3 is a fluke. No off the dribble game. First name would be cooler if it were spelled with a C. Top 10.

Tyrus Jones, PG: Pure PG. Really good passer with a crafty off the dribble game. Okay but not great shooter. Not very athletic and can sometimes struggle to finish. Probably a better college player than pro, but advanced stats really like him. Late first.

Michigan State vs. Oklahoma

Michigan State:

Branden Dawson, PF: Strong, great athlete, plays tough D, rebounds, no offensive game at all, way undersized. Second round

Oklahoma:

Buddy Heidel, SG, Good athlete, long, pretty good shooter, kinda short, not great off the dribble, does not play a lick of D. Second round.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 31, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

MourningView posted:

TJ McConnell, PG: Good shooter, smart passer, tries hard on D. Not very athletic. Can probably be a third PG for someone. Second rounder

Givony posted:

He isn't the type of player who stands out on first glance, and will face questions about his size and athleticism when he looks to make the jump to the NBA, but it became impossible to ignore the pre-season All-American's ability to play brutally efficient, low-mistake basketball at the point guard position last season.

well hello handsome :heysexy:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He made the list under the "well if Matthew Delladova can get minutes for a possible Finals team" clause.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I hope Montrezl does well in the NBA because he is super fun to watch. Meanwhile Dawson will hopefully do well in the Adriatic League or something. Does anybody want a tweener forward who's too small for both positions and has no range?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think Bronson Koenig could end up being the best NBA player out of the WI guys. Not that is saying much as I think the rest are bench guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks for the writeup, MV. Who do you think will be the best of the crowd of sg/sfs in the lottery, not counting D'angelo Russel?

• Locked thread