Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

EDIT 2: The part where you have to get into a battle in the Moth's Garden in order to lure the Big Moths away is a good puzzle on paper, but is a really dumb thing in practice thanks to how terrible the escape rates are.

Playing EOU and 4 first, it's kind of amazing how much more escaping become a viable option in 3. If you get in a bad situation in 3 you have an extremely good chance of being able to get out of it and run away. Whereas in the more recent games you just mash escape and pray and usually get killed by the FOE you accidentally bumped into.

And the resetting of the limit gauges when you escape I think is a decent punishment trade-off to keep you from doing it excessively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

gently caress, I chose Overdrive instead of Accel Drive, wasting two turns of Ignition.

I don't think I'll be able to take down the Heavenbringer now since aside from my Imperial, I don't have much in the way of damage. Especially because my NS doesn't land any status effects so he's really not being all that helpful. And I've also ran out of Amrita, so I've got no TP for anything.

No big deal, I'll just do these 35 turns all over again. :suicide:

Edit: Never mind, Accel Drive landed on the Bared Essence and took out around 2000 health. That would do the job.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 23, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
What's your N subclass? N/A shouldn't have any problems landing status effects.

Also what level are you?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's NB. Endure has been very, very helpful and when I can get a Charge Swift Edge ready, it's so good, I just didn't get the chance to, since if the Bared Essence is poisoned and fades back to Heavenbringer, it doesn't stay poisoned! I was also level 51-54.

The MVP was the Dragon Carp, it made it so I was able to survive all the elemental attacks, along with Element Guard. I hardly died, I just couldn't dish out much damage. Team was F/D, N/B, I/R, A/M, S/L.

It was a lot of fun though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like how EO3's B24F is turning out to be a sort of map drawing final boss. I got distracted at one point and realized I had absolutely no idea where I was or which direction I was facing.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

It's not so bad! I can usually make my way through B24F without a map now!

...drat it :negative:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
:suicide: I started a 5 Arcanist run :suicide:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hivac posted:

It's not so bad! I can usually make my way through B24F without a map now!

...drat it :negative:

Yeah really it just requires a lot of concentration.

I'm glad that I went through the trouble of getting the Lucky Hammer limit already because it's made getting all the drops of enemies in this stratum a lot easier. Even the pumpkins, which really aren't too bad compared to their incredibly damage resistant FOE counterparts in 4.

What's the deal with the Insectortoises though? They keep turning into eggs before I can kill them. I got them added to my compendium because an Omnivore ate one but I haven't gotten any drops.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Instant death will work, and I believe panic as well. You don't get the drops or EXP if they get eaten.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah really it just requires a lot of concentration.

I'm glad that I went through the trouble of getting the Lucky Hammer limit already because it's made getting all the drops of enemies in this stratum a lot easier. Even the pumpkins, which really aren't too bad compared to their incredibly damage resistant FOE counterparts in 4.

What's the deal with the Insectortoises though? They keep turning into eggs before I can kill them. I got them added to my compendium because an Omnivore ate one but I haven't gotten any drops.

You have to either kill them while Asleep, Confused (IIRC), or via Petrification or Instant Death.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RIP Hollow Queen.

Okay, the fight wasn't actually that easy. Despite having binds at my disposal, if I couldn't bind her arms in the first turn and her head in the 2nd turn, I was pretty much dead. 5 Snipers cannot take a hit. At all. Even with the best equipment possible. And really in the first few turns, her guards were the bigger troublemakers. Wufan's Charm Eye was the main reason I could survive the onslaught, it lowered everyone's damage to manageable levels. Also I had to eat a HP boosting food to make everyone more tanky. This run has been kind of grindy. Not level wise, but money wise since keeping everyone's equipment up to date is really important. Misty Ravine wasn't too notable, other than my team steamrolling every single Hollow encounter.

I have to say, Silver Arrow does a ton of damage with a fairly low TP cost. And Squall Volley procing the maximum number of hits critting for every single one is just :jizz:

theshim posted:

Now I'm curious to see how that can be done. Poison Circle is their only form of real damage until they hit level 20. How are you gonna deal with the Berserker King?

Regy Rusty posted:

You need to kill them with Instant Death or Petrification. Or kill them while they're asleep or confused in order to get their drops.

EDIT: Welp.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 23, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just noticed: Why Meepo?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I just noticed: Why Meepo?

5 of the same class. :v:

And the random encounters in the 3rd land are killing my party. I'm wondering if I should even bother upgrading their armor anymore.

gannyGrabber posted:

Nice! You probably already know this, but keep in mind that arm binds lower enemies' physical attack damage, so even if you're being slammed by regular attacks, you can use them as de facto power breaks.

I would strongly consider subbing one of your back row snipies as a Fortress. The party wide phys/ele def buffs are going to be very useful. You really don't need the boosts from arcanist: just having lots of luck on your items/accs will make binds easy to apply.

Fortress buffs sound useful, but the Snipes on their own are really unreliable, especially against enemies that have bind resistances. The Circles have a higher hit rate than those, even without Ailment Boost.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

theshim posted:

What are your planned subclasses?

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What are your planned subclasses?
I see you've already given this more thought than I have! :shepface:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Now I'm curious to see how that can be done. Poison Circle is their only form of real damage until they hit level 20. How are you gonna deal with the Berserker King?
Poorly.

(Yeah, Poison Circle is basically my only damage other than sticking rapiers on my front row. I am dumb. This is dumb.)

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Dammit, you guys are tempting me to start a single-class run but you already choose the fun classes!

Edit: If no one made it already, how does a 5 Dancer party sound?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It depends on how many times you can get Rush Dance to proc, otherwise it would be pretty slow going.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Txn posted:

Dammit, you guys are tempting me to start a single-class run but you already choose the fun classes!

Edit: If no one made it already, how does a 5 Dancer party sound?
I know a guy who beat the game with a 3 Dancer party. The pluses are evasion, status/bind immunity, and setting up combos for heavy damage; the minuses are that you're squishy, dances only affect a row, and Guard Tango doesn't reduce elemental damage so you die a lot to that.

Also, as far as subs for my party, I kinda feel they'll be pretty similar to the ones I had for my Runemasters - Fortress, Bushi, Medic at least. The last two were Imperial and Arcanist, so I'll probably have at least one of those be a Runemaster, and honestly maybe both? There's little point in subbing Sniper or Nightseeker for this party, Dancer was pretty underwhelming last time, and Imperial doesn't bring anything to the table.

Ye gods this is dumb.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Got quite the surprise at the end of B24F.

There's a B25F! And what a name - "That which can eternal lie". Can't say it's an inappropriate title.

The Abyssal God killed me real quick.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Explore the rest of the floor first. Your goal is to kill the tentacle FOEs. It makes him... Well, not easy but marginally less difficult?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Maybe come back to that one, I'm sure there's a few other things that need doing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nah I was planning on seriously fighting the ultimate boss right away with zero preparation.

I haven't even done two of the dragons yet I was just taking a peek.

theshim
May 1, 2012

oh look my exp bars are desynced again :argh:

seriously how the hell did you get through the whole first land without that, did you just reset every time

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

theshim posted:

oh look my exp bars are desynced again :argh:

seriously how the hell did you get through the whole first land without that, did you just reset every time

Seems like the snipers could just mutilate random mobs through their binds and damage output, and if one got KOed by a boss it caused a terrifying domino effect where the lost action economy doomed the entire attempt.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They'll be synced again at 99, my weary brain rationalizes.

By having a team of 5, I can also see who's died the least and gotten the most experience. My Sniper of course.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Before I start hunting them down - do the tentacle FOEs on the last floor respawn like regular FOEs if you let enough time pass after killing them?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I think they respawn after you leave but I'm not sure.

They also respawn once per turn during the boss fight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

I know a guy who beat the game with a 3 Dancer party. The pluses are evasion, status/bind immunity, and setting up combos for heavy damage; the minuses are that you're squishy, dances only affect a row, and Guard Tango doesn't reduce elemental damage so you die a lot to that.

Also, as far as subs for my party, I kinda feel they'll be pretty similar to the ones I had for my Runemasters - Fortress, Bushi, Medic at least. The last two were Imperial and Arcanist, so I'll probably have at least one of those be a Runemaster, and honestly maybe both? There's little point in subbing Sniper or Nightseeker for this party, Dancer was pretty underwhelming last time, and Imperial doesn't bring anything to the table.

Ye gods this is dumb.

What does Bushi even do for an Arcanist?

Regy Rusty posted:

Got quite the surprise at the end of B24F.

There's a B25F! And what a name - "That which can eternal lie". Can't say it's an inappropriate title.

The Abyssal God killed me real quick.

Just a little warning, that's not the actual boss fight. More like a roadblock to make sure that you solve the floor puzzle before the actual fight. Now depending on your party composition, the Abyssal God's difficulty can range from impossible to very very very very hard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Seems like the snipers could just mutilate random mobs through their binds and damage output, and if one got KOed by a boss it caused a terrifying domino effect where the lost action economy doomed the entire attempt.

This pretty much nails it. So much offense clears out random encounters, but if one thing goes wrong in an FOE or Boss Fight, it's over for me.

Regy Rusty posted:

Before I start hunting them down - do the tentacle FOEs on the last floor respawn like regular FOEs if you let enough time pass after killing them?

They respawn every 3 days, and randomly during the fight. Not that the latter matters, since you can't run from the fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Has anyone done a five Fortress run?

Hivac posted:

They also respawn once per turn during the boss fight.

What? :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 23, 2015

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

theshim posted:

No! I was just about to do this!

I guess... I guess I'll do Bushi...

How did you set the game up for a 5-man run? Everytime I do a new game plus it gives me all my money/item unlocks, which I don't want.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

They respawn every 3 days, and randomly during the fight. Not that the latter matters, since you can't run from the fight.

Good so point is, don't bother killing them off until I'm actually ready to fight the boss once I've done everything else.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

And so, the dancing journey of the Macarena Guild officially begins.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Txn posted:

Ah, getting an early start on the Beat Dance Brigade.

Regy Rusty posted:

Good so point is, don't bother killing them off until I'm actually ready to fight the boss once I've done everything else.

Go ahead and map the level and figure out the puzzle to catching each one early so you can do it all in one go when you're ready.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Txn posted:

I see what you did with those names. :allears:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's videos of a guy taking down each boss with a Solo Fortress, as well as Solo Dark Hunter, Solo Wildling, Gunner/War Magus combo and Ronin/Hexer combo.

I'm just waiting for one of you crazy bastards to do something like this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Solo Sniper/Medic/Arcanist run without subclassing. :shepicide:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

What does Bushi even do for an Arcanist?
The same thing it did for Runemaster - access to Blood Surge. My R/B was my biggest damage dealer! :smithicide:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Five Fortresses is actually the easiest SCC! You have TP sustain from their passive, HP sustain from Healing Wall and Holy Smite, help with recovery from binds and ailments with Knight's Boon and Holy Blessing, decent damage from maces and solid strength, elemental coverage with Bolt Strike, and tank for days. No other class has the suite of options available to Fortress, amusingly enough.

You won't nuke things down moronically fast like 5 Runemasters or 5 Nightseekers, but it should be an easy run from start to finish.

gannyGrabber posted:

How did you set the game up for a 5-man run? Everytime I do a new game plus it gives me all my money/item unlocks, which I don't want.
Blew all my money on items, then created 5 Arcanists, dismissed everyone else, and hit no for the logbook option. You can keep your maps, though, which is nice!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Solo Imperial run might be interesting. It's a class which almost never gets any play during the early game/low levels. They have a damaging yet narrowly focused set of skills with almost no support abilities. But what would the rules be? Even the weakest possible Drive Blade is much stronger than the starting equipment in the shop. On the other hand, if you don't use that you're stuck with nothing but basic attacks until you unlocked multi-classing. That certainly qualifies as a challenge, but it's not something I'd wish on anyone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Go ahead and map the level and figure out the puzzle to catching each one early so you can do it all in one go when you're ready.

This was a good idea, some of them turned out to be pretty tricky. I've figured them all out now except the two in the big room to the top left. I know I need to use the Revelationers somehow but I can't find a good spot to trap 'em.

E: Nevermind got it. That's a pretty fun puzzle.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

For the first time ever, I hate the Woodflies. Not only I'm running away from a bear, I wasted turns attacking and countering them because they blinded my entire party. :argh:

Regen Waltz plus Counter Samba are good, but I think I should put more Skill Points into Fan Dance.

• Locked thread