Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Thanks for the writeup, MV. Who do you think will be the best of the crowd of sg/sfs in the lottery, not counting D'angelo Russel?

I like Johnson the best, but he hasn't looked great lately. He carried the biggest offensive load and was generally pretty efficient, and he plays very good D. Oubre has the highest ceiling but he's so up and down. I don't trust Winslow's shooting at all, but he'll test the best and has had some good tournament games so I could see him being the first of them off the board. I know nothing of the Euro dude.

Hand Row posted:

I think Bronson Koenig could end up being the best NBA player out of the WI guys. Not that is saying much as I think the rest are bench guys.

Yeah he's good but I think he's coming back.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Out of the ten thousand NBA players on Kentucky's team, I only think Towns and Cauley-Stein will have NBA success. Towns will be fine as a stretch 4 and WCS' ceiling will probably be what Birdman Anderson evolved into, but I don't see the rest having any real careers. Ulis is too small, the shine has worn off on the Harrisons, Dakari Johnson is too slow, and I'm not sold on Booker's shooting. I haven't seen enough of Lyles or anyone else to really say anything, for better or worse.

I don't think Kentucky is a great team, but just a team that managed to stockpile depth in an era where anyone who stays for more than a fortnight has no real pro potential. Cal should win Coach of the Year just for convincing no one from the past two classes to transfer out for real playing time.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I know they're not in the tournament any longer, but I've been wondering: does Michael Qualls have any sort of spot in the NBA? Is he destined to play overseas?

I'm biased, but he's always been entertaining to watch, and I feel like at least some of his game has improved, especially the last two years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FakePoet posted:

I know they're not in the tournament any longer, but I've been wondering: does Michael Qualls have any sort of spot in the NBA? Is he destined to play overseas?

I'm biased, but he's always been entertaining to watch, and I feel like at least some of his game has improved, especially the last two years.

He's probably better off waiting another year so he can be The Guy without Portis, but he'd get drafted. He needs to get more consistent with his shot to really climb though.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Oo thank you for the writeup. know I seen Buddy "Buddy Love" Hield play some D after losing it on this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBiksdUSOuk
He's got a good attitude and I like him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Can we just pencil in undersized power forward who looks like a tweener under Michigan State every year?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like part of the reason that Stanley Johnson's numbers have fallen is that Brandon Ashley has re-emerged and Arizona has had to rely less on Johnson breaking down the dribble to score and can instead go to Ashley in screen/roll or even the post. And then in the most recent game where Ashley couldn't stay on the floor, Arizona went nuts from three so ended up also not needing Johnson.

I'm glad to hear that someone is projecting McConnell getting drafted just because I loving love his game.

I really do think Tarzcewski has the best chance of actually sticking in the NBA of Arizona's players this year, but I guess you don't draft a player with offensive skills that limited very high in 2015.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

West Virginia:

No one really

You're joking, right? Juwan Staten's been one of the top three best players in the Big 12 the past couple years, and he's pretty speedy and can get to the rim pretty well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Can we just pencil in undersized power forward who looks like a tweener under Michigan State every year?

Adreian Payne was a legitimate big.

We're also big on speedy point guards who suck at shooting. Lourawls Nairn is the newest model.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

You're joking, right? Juwan Staten's been one of the top three best players in the Big 12 the past couple years, and he's pretty speedy and can get to the rim pretty well.

He's tiny, older, and can't shoot at all. I don't think he's much of a prospect. Lots of good college players don't get drafted.

Ford doesn't have him in his Top 100 and DX just barely does so I'm not exactly out on a limb here. Definitely not enough of a prospect to warrant shock at not being included.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 24, 2015

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I wrong for thinking Kris Dunn and Delon Wright are going to be really good? I feel like Wright will be the late first that has a really good career.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
What're Joe Young's NBA chances?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MV clearly forgot the West Virginia dude who already has NBA-caliber rec specs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

MV clearly forgot the West Virginia dude who already has NBA-caliber rec specs.

That guy doesn't meet age requirements for the draft (too old to enter).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rick posted:

That guy doesn't meet age requirements for the draft (too old to enter).

You're thinking of Perry Ellis, who returned to college after playing Federal League baseball.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Archeologists discover previously unknown Perry Ellis high school scouting mixtapes, there are many mysterious deaths on the boat transporting the film back to the mainland

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

R.D. Mangles posted:

You're thinking of Perry Ellis, who returned to college after playing Federal League baseball.

Man, how he is only a junior. It seems like he has been at Kansas for approximately 15 years.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Regnevelc posted:

Man, how he is only a junior. It seems like he has been at Kansas for approximately 15 years.

Sometimes I check the UF depth chart just to make sure Patric Young really left

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

jimcunningham posted:

Am I wrong for thinking Kris Dunn and Delon Wright are going to be really good? I feel like Wright will be the late first that has a really good career.

Dunn has a chance to be a late lottery pick. He's really good if he can get himself under control and work on his decision making. He takes dumb shots and turns the ball over a lot from being out of control, but otherwise there's no much else you could want in a PG prospect.

There's a ton of stuff to like about Wright, but the recent track record for prospects who are that old is pretty ugly and I'm a little skeptical of his jumper. I'm not as high on him as some, but I don't think you're crazy for liking him a lot.

Declan MacManus posted:

Chris Walker is gonna be the new version of that.

Rick posted:

What're Joe Young's NBA chances?

I like him, but he's also older, doesn't do much other than score, and has horrible height/length for a SG. I think there might be some character stuff there I'm forgetting too. He'll get a look but probably not until the 2nd round.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Chris Walker is gonna be the new version of that.

quote:

The first thing you notice about Florida’s Chris Walker is the body, a chiseled, 6' 10", 220-pound frame that NBA executives drool over. A year in the Gators’ weight room packed 17½ pounds of muscle on the sophomore forward and cut his body fat by 2.2%. “If teams drafted on body types,” says ESPN draft analyst Fran Fraschilla, “Chris Walker would be a high lottery pick.”

The next thing you notice is the athleticism. Walker has the strength to defend centers, the length (7' 3" wingspan) to cover forwards and the lateral quickness to stay in front of many guards. “He can run, jump, he has fast-twitch reactions,” says a Western Conference GM. “He can defend 1–5. He’s an NBA athlete.”

The last thing you notice is the skill set. Walker, 20, is a weapon in transition, but his range doesn’t extend outside the paint, and he’s little more than a screener and rim-runner in the half-court. “His offensive skill level is really low,” says Fraschilla. “He’s a major project.”

are we sure that chris walker isn't actually just patric young in makeup

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Oubre will look a lot better driving to the lane when there's a legit post presence to pass to instead of just having the defense collapse against him. But his shot still needs some work.

Ellis, uh... uh... uhhhh... he has worked on his perimeter shooting, which is the only way I could see him doing that physically well in the league. Otherwise he's going to get his poo poo blocked twenty times a day.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm wondering how Louisville's gonna handle Julius Hodge this weekend.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Makes you think

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I written off Dekker long ago like most but holy poo poo. It was nice to finally see him tear up elite competition and also display range from the 3.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hand Row posted:

I written off Dekker long ago like most but holy poo poo. It was nice to finally see him tear up elite competition and also display range from the 3.

It'll probably get him drafted a little higher than he should but unless he goes on a tear against Kentucky he's probably outside the lotto looking in (until they do athletic testing and everyone is like omg)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think he'll go lottery now, but his shooting is going to be way overrated (it always has been because he's white and people assume any white guy can shoot, but now the image people have of him is going to be knocking down jumpers in the tournament). He's been a below average outside shooter for 3 years, that didn't suddenly change because he happened to get hot at a good time.

In other news I've come around and I'm pretty sure I'd take Towns first now. Some of it's the tournmanet, but he's been way better on offense the last couple months as they've give him the ball more (his post game actually looks pretty fluid now, and he has a nice little jump hook). He's always been a way better rebounder/defender, so if he can play well on offense seems like kind of a no-brainer, even though I still really like Okafor. His ceiling is just way higher. It's possible he's better on offese than he's showing even now too, because his high school rep was as a guy with a good face up game and some range, and he doesn't do much other than post up right now. Cal has a tendency to do that with his big guys (which is probably smart at the college level since they have such a dramatic size/strength/athleticism advantage). Davis didn't do much other than catch lobs or get putbacks in his college season.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 30, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I like Towns a lot (see thread title) but Okafor is Okafor. I feel like his floor is just that much higher that you can't really take that gamble. Then again this might be another Emeka vs. Dwight situation

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think it's THAT big a gamble, since like the absolute worst case for Towns seems like a guy who is an excellent defensive big who can finish on pick and rolls, which is pretty good and all most teams are looking for from the center anyway. Okafor could easily wind up being like Enes Kanter or something, although I think he'll be better than that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Which sites have the best mock drafts? I want to briefly get excited about the Mavs getting a young player then realize even if they keep the pick from the Rondo trade it'll probably be traded to someone else.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Spacebump posted:

Which sites have the best mock drafts? I want to briefly get excited about the Mavs getting a young player then realize even if they keep the pick from the Rondo trade it'll probably be traded to someone else.

This guy has been relatively accurate these last few 4-5 years. He hasn't posted a mock draft in a while though, he'll probably be more active after the playoffs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

DX pretty consistently has the best one, but they haven't started considering team needs and stuff like that yet so I don't know how much good it'll do you for this purpose right now aside from giving you a feel for who will be available around when they pick. Once it gets closer to the draft that's the best one though. He's especially plugged in with the international guys.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Okafor and Towns have both been amazing but to me the tournament revelation has been Justise Winslow. He has had stretches of phenomenal basketball. The problem is, I'm not sure that he's a "franchise small forward" like most people would be looking for in the top 5.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Okafor and Towns have both been amazing but to me the tournament revelation has been Justise Winslow. He has had stretches of phenomenal basketball. The problem is, I'm not sure that he's a "franchise small forward" like most people would be looking for in the top 5.

He'll be an all-NBA dick puncher though.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Henchman of Santa posted:

He'll be an all-NBA dick puncher though.

Chris Paul is doing well in the NBA, so it translates.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Ah yes, like those franchise small forwards Otto Porter and Michael Kidd Gilcreist.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ah yes, like those franchise small forwards Otto Porter and Michael Kidd Gilcreist.

I don't think that is what most teams hope to draft in the Top 5 either!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Towns/Okafor feels a lot like Wiggins/Parker redux to me, though I think the gap is closer because Okafor is just so incredibly skilled offensively. But I think if I was picking first overall I would take Towns because of the defensive potential.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

In other news I've come around and I'm pretty sure I'd take Towns first now. Some of it's the tournmanet, but he's been way better on offense the last couple months as they've give him the ball more (his post game actually looks pretty fluid now, and he has a nice little jump hook). He's always been a way better rebounder/defender, so if he can play well on offense seems like kind of a no-brainer, even though I still really like Okafor. His ceiling is just way higher. It's possible he's better on offese than he's showing even now too, because his high school rep was as a guy with a good face up game and some range, and he doesn't do much other than post up right now. Cal has a tendency to do that with his big guys (which is probably smart at the college level since they have such a dramatic size/strength/athleticism advantage). Davis didn't do much other than catch lobs or get putbacks in his college season.

Davis didn't have much of an offensive game early on. It was hilarious watching him during the Olympics; when he checked in everyone started feeding him lobs like they were playing Go Get It with their little brother. But his game hadn't caught up to his frame at Kentucky and didn't until he got into the pros.

I'm wondering what the Sixers would do if they got the 1st. Do they sell Noel for cents on the dollars or hope the promise of Embiid gives them a better return and take Okafor/Towns, or keep who they have and take Russell? I know nothing on Muiday so I can't say if he would be in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Davis has improved since but even in his rookie year his offensive game was a lot more advanced than he got to show at UK

• Locked thread