Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ro5s posted:

Crossposting from the Allied thread:

this is well written. i'm gonna read it from the start now

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Turn 3 – 9:00am
3rd Division! Forgot a morale check for 2nd regiment – passed!
4th Division attempts to switch to attack orders! Succeeds!
8th Division attempts to move to attack orders! Succeeds! (more than 50% of regiments were attempting to move)

German 4th Corps forces take up positions along the Sombre. (No Grey, don't post an image of French positions there. Bad Grey.)

The attack in the centre is now going in in force, Coubarbe is all but taken, but coming under infantry fire causes the men advancing on Chemin des Putains to move slower.

The Jaeger's and Cavalry continue to press their attacks on Mange-Pomme. Meanwhile more troops cross the river in an implacable Teutonic tide.

The German forces closest to the hill take heavy losses as the French infantry stationed there open fire once more – almost all of this regiment is now wiped out, down from twelve companies and the commanders to just one and the headquarters unit!

German troops attacking Mange-Pomme take losses, two Cavalry companies fall to the machine guns, and one of the Jaeger companies.

French guns continue to come off worse in the artillery duel as they lose three batteries to the German two.

Further along the line they trade two for two.

Things get bloody on Chemains des Putains, as the artillery on both sides gets to work – the French guns are shooting at troops in the open, while the Germans have many heavy guns on the line. The results are carnage, and four more dead German companies, wiping out an entire regiment, while the French regiment on the hill loses six companies!

At the end of the hill, both sides lose a suppressed unit, but the German guns are heavy howitzers, so the French come out on top.
Moved infantry shooting is only a few French MG's opening up on Foret de Krytonne. All they are able to do is suppress one company.

The assault on Mange-Pomme does not go as well for the Germans – the cavalry does wipe out a machine gun unit, but the Jaeger's lose two companies!

5th Division Cavalry must make a morale check! Pass!
5th Division Jaeger's must make a morale check! Pass!
All suppression cleared!

Turn 4 – 9:00AM

Forces cross Pont du Schroedinger, but are coming up on the maximum command radius. Both the Corps commander and the Divisional commander need to move if this advance is to continue.

Most of the units are setting in along the Sombre.

Coubarbe is yours, and men are across in large numbers. The Jaeger's assault up the hill.

Your troops are beginning to flank Mange-Pomme, while the Jaeger and Cavalry units continue to assault the town.

Men charge out of Coubarb, but the Infantry on the hill open fire, their fire takes down five companies, but are unable to stop some of the enemy making it to close combat.

French Cavalry sweep around Mange-Pomme and into the advancing German infantry, while the Germans continue to assault into the town. The French lose one cavalry company, while the Germans lose the last of theirs and one more Jaeger company.

The guns to the west continue to trade casualties.

German guns obliterate a 75mm battery, while the advancing German infantry lose three companies.

The fighting around Mange-Pomme claims three French units and one German.

The assault out of Coubarbe is wiped out by stalwart French troops.

7.7cm battery must make a morale check! Fail!
Jaeger Battalion must make a morale check! Fail!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hmm. well, i get the sense that the french are taking infantry losses too, no sense in changing our strategy now

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
A bloody turn, but we continue to advance. The French appear to be in sparser than I thought - did they deploy further back, or do they have fewer men than we do? Tough to say.

I'll come up with some orders soon, but I'm increasingly convinced we should just go around those new pontoon bridges and just start flooding the chemain des putains from the east. They appear to be shifting right to block us - now is the time to go hard on them before they can properly react.

EDIT: I'll get more active and back into #Goonkrieg shortly

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wew. things are going well.

Do we not get a casualty count this time?

as for 8 Div, I am thinking swing my guns around to bomb that MG + infantry concentration, and take Glacessui

And bring my division command up to admire the trenchworks.

I'm sure there are infantry still in the town, so it'll be knifework.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Veloxyll posted:

Wew. things are going well.

Do we not get a casualty count this time?

as for 8 Div, I am thinking swing my guns around to bomb that MG + infantry concentration, and take Glacessui

And bring my division command up to admire the trenchworks.

I'm sure there are infantry still in the town, so it'll be knifework.

Well? This was a complete carnage for us!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

From the Desk of Fieldmarschall Josef Stalinator

Alright boys, listen up!

We took many casualties this turn. That's fine, but we need to refine our current strategy if we are to both hold our gains and not lose any more men unnecessarily.

I've lost track of which division is which, so I've just broken this down by color, and will tell each "color" what do it. If I've mixed and matched divisions/Korps, I apologize, but please try to work within this general framework.

Left Flank
I. and III. Korps

:siren:Your priorities are to move all of your units to the greatest effect to get them across the bridges ASAP! This directive supersedes all orders to the contrary, by direct order of your commanding officer :siren:

You guys are going to get more men killed the longer you delay crossing that bridge.

Red:You're the vanguard, but you've taken heavy casualties. Move up your HQ's and try to work your way southward to preserve your flank and make room for reinforcements, but avoid completely dissolving in the face of heavy casualties. Also try to get eyes on Point de Schrodinger, to see what they've got down there, and capture it if possible.

Blue: You have heavy artillery concentrations that are completely useless. You must move all units, including artillery, forward immediately! Try to position north of the farm, ideally pointing your artillery out from the woods towards the eastern edge of the Chemains. Your goal is to set up a huge concentration of artillery that maintains effective fire on the edge of the hill as well as southward towards the farm.

Any infantry or other support units are to move forward with artillery, providing the same dual cover. We will either assault the Chemains or move southward depending on French movement.

Green: Haul rear end to the Pont de Dax! Get your butts across the bridge ASAP! Your men are needed someplace useful. Get moving immediately, filling the space left open by the movement of the divisions in front of you.

Orange: Haul rear end east! Leave some artillery for now if they're effective at supressing the Chemains, but otherwise move all units available IMMEDIATELY. Fill the space left open by the units moving across the bridge/east as well.

Center Flank
II. Korps

Good show so far! :siren: Your primary objective is to continue to tie down as many French forces as possible with an assault on the Chemains

Yellow: These men are in a dangerous position, and you should proceed with caution here. Assault if you see fit, but I would recommend fanning them out a bit and assuming a defensive posture with some of the forwardmost ones. Tie up Frenchies and buy time for reinforcements to arrive.

Light Blue: These men are vulnerable but appear to have found a weak spot in the French line. Charge straight ahead up the hill, taking out those command and HQ units and ideally flanking some around to assist with the attack from Coubarbe.

Pink: These guys are now useless. Send them across the river to where you feel they work best. I think West of Coubarbe would be good to provide cover for any flanking from the south/get some coverage on the hill, but if you think East is better it's your call. Move artillery forward immediately

Blue: Keep any artillery that can still assist the assaults, but otherwise move all units forward. Move them up to where the teal units are vacating as a result of their assault.

Right Flank
IV. Korps

Your men are doing well, but proceed with caution.

Purple: Move the necessary HQ's to get these guys up a bit further. Be wary of what awaits you, but take advantage of the position if it is a small enough force to overwhelm.

Orange: These guys need to shift forward and prepare for an assault if the situation calls for it. Also, move an engineer forward to prepare charges on both bridges if they counter attack! This is a direct order.

Greenish Teal: These artillery aren't doing anything. Move them forward to the river to set up and attack any visible Frenchies. Might be able to hit the ones down a bit southeast if you move some over to the southeast by the river.

Pink: These guys aren't doing much. Move them close to the bridge so they can be reinforcements, unless you really feel that they are needed to watch for any sneaky French moves.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

steinrokkan posted:

Well? This was a complete carnage for us!

Like I said! Well. Those troops are made for USING.losing

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i like the orders for ii korps above. we know there's a french regiment or two just chilling out in a square to the west of coubarbe, i think maybe they moved west a little in the last few turns? if they're just holding place i suppose we can focus our attention on the chemin des putains. getting artillery across is a great idea too

fanning out in coubarbe is a good idea though, and not only for defense. we're going to need to basically create a rectangle of infantry corps in coubarbe and mash it into the french defenses on the chemin like a stick of butter trying to fight through a frying pan.* that's not the most auspicious analogy, is it

i've continually seen french infantry companies melt away on the chemin where that murderousvaliant charge from the pont de broulard is going on, so i do support continuing that pell-mell assault, and continuing to support it from across the river.

*i'm rereading this and reflecting on what a great general i am

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
III Korps
I have no idea which units at Pont Dax belong to which division, or even which corps. There seem to be two divisions with their assets mostly scrambled together.

It would be nice to have some sort of color coding or at least verbal clarification during the turns beyond "a generic thing happened".

E: I mean, the blue and red circles on Stalinator's map contains four regiments, so they should probably both belong to the Fifth? I honestly have no idea.

E2: If you are thinking about provisional commands, DO NOT march your artillery directly into the firing range of a massed French infantry regiment, which is what the blue circle is advising! If the infantry on the French side of the river charges forth even a bit, there'll be plenty of space for the artillery to take a safe position to the right of the German infantry line.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 22, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if that entire division just kinda trickles across the pont de broulard and gets murdered before they reach the french then, uh. i will have learned a lesson

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
1st Korps Orders
same poo poo as before.
2nd, if y'all can cross do
1st start shifting right

Third Korps, I thi it might be best if y'all make for Kubrick now. My Korps can handle flanking the ridgelines and supporting our center.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

warhammer651 posted:

1st Korps Orders
1st start shifting right

Uh, right looking down on the map, or right when looking at the enemy? Stalinator has half my command following II. Korps over Broulard and half following III. Korps over Dax, but I don't think I can do both due to command radius issues. My preference is to cross at Broulard where traffic seems lighter, then move east along the river until either I link up with the rest of I./III. Korps again, or cooperate with II. Korps in attacking the ridge.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Thing is, I'm not sure I can keep you in my command radius if you go over to Broulard. If you think you can go ahead, I think three divisions will be enough to hold the east.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I Corps
Div II

Alright every regiment is now on the attack, I want the entire division over the bridge and if the pontoons are available I also want those crossed now.First and Second regiments (marked in brown are to lead and attempt to get into the indicated box, fallowed by if they are able a full attack. fallowed by third and fourth regiments into their respective (Orange and black) positions. If soldiers are fresh enough after crossing then begin a full on attack on the French In the farm and the right side of Mange Pomme. Artillery will move forward to shore to better provide support fire. There can be no dawdling, the entire divisions infantry must be across the river ASAP. Also I ill shift by div HQ to the rivers edge. Our goal is to cut the french line.

New Orders based on the orders from Von Stalinator himself, 1st regiment (green) is going to try to get across the bridge while Engineers continue their part in building the loving pontoons.
Everyone else (yellow), march to the Left because we're going to try to cross at the Lorax bridge. And get beyond that drat dodoo forest (Also burn some trees while you're at it.)

Also I will fallow placing my HQ between the two. (The star on the map)

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 23, 2015

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!

You are doing commendably!
You will follow new attack order as on this map:

Green regiment will advance and take up position on the hill and in the forest. Attached orange cavalry will go south and take positions for flanking orders!

Red division will hold until further notice! It artillery pieces WILL MOVE TOWARD BRIDGE, but they are not to obstruct it nor are they to cross the river!

Purple[regiment will move towards bridge and prepare for assault!

Yellow regiment will stay and pound the french artillery with howitzers. (yellow crossed out section is there only for help, ignore it!)

Divisional commander will move toward the bridge as far as possible!

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
III Korps
Gentlemen, the atmosphere in the staff room is elated, but I still hold on to my belief expressed in the IRC room that the aggressive attack by all corps commands, under all circumstances, at any cost, will hurt us hard eventually. We are already seeing how an unstructured assault can melt away our regiments without a clear goal.

Thus, I'd like the III Korps commanders to express themselves on some ideas:
First: Divisions don't have to attack as monolithic units. I'd like to see one of the forward 5 division (good job on not being the most decimated division, btw, despite the odds) regiments switched to defensive posturing so it can immediately trade defensive fire with the French vanguard at equal terms, minimizing our casualties in the short term, and in the mid-term.

Second: It may be wise to keep the infantry force on the French side limited for the time, and allow an artillery detachment from the so-far stationary division (6th) to be moved forward with priority, to create a long-range support platform for the final stretch of the Kubrick push. The reasoning is that we need long range capabilities accompanying the infantry to minimize the threat to our foothold. The possible problems: Command ranges.

Also, I need clarification on the pontoon bridges. The progress being made there doesn't seem to make sense under previously relayed rules.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 22, 2015

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I agree with your orders, Herr Steinrokkan. Consolidating my forces is certainly important at this stage. Thus:

V Division, III Korps

PURPLE is to continue attacking to the South West. Roll up the French line. Try to Form a Line by the end of the movement and switch to DEFENSE in 2 phases
BLUE is to switch to a defensive stance IMMEDIATELY and trade fire with the French forces.
ORANGE is to swing West and attack the French line en mass
RED will move over the bridge Eastward and form up
ENGINEERS will continue to build the bridge.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ORDERS
I. Korps, 1. Division

The Division will stay in DEFEND stance.

Division Command (black): Move to the marked circle on the riverside. This position should be out of range of any remaining French artillery, and within communication range of I. Korps HQ and the expected paths of all regimental HQs.

1. Regiment (green): Remain in place for now. 1. Regiment will follow 4. Regiment across when able.

2. Regiment (red): Remain defending in current position. Heavy howitzers should continue moving towards the rest of the regiment.

3. Regiment (yellow): Remain in place for now. 3. Regiment will eventually follow 4. and 1. Regiments across Pont du Broulard.

4. Regiment (blue): Follow ForeverBWFC's II. Korps/3.Division across Pont du Broulard and continue moving along the blue line.

dublish fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 22, 2015

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

I Corps
Div II

Alright every regiment is now on the attack, I want the entire division over the bridge and if the pontoons are available I also want those crossed now.First and Second regiments (marked in brown are to lead and attempt to get into the indicated box, fallowed by if they are able a full attack. fallowed by third and fourth regiments into their respective (Orange and black) positions. If soldiers are fresh enough after crossing then begin a full on attack on the French In the farm and the right side of Mange Pomme. Artillery will move forward to shore to better provide support fire. There can be no dawdling, the entire divisions infantry must be across the river ASAP. Also I ill shift by div HQ to the rivers edge. Our goal is to cut the french line.

The only problem with this is that the pontoons have not been constructed yet, and I'm pretty sure that the 8 denotes that it will take 8 more turns. I think for now, move as many men East as you can and we can use the pontoons later if there's still men that need crossing (or to move up artillery).

In case you can't revise your orders in time I order that the men move east, since the pontoons aren't built yet. This is just in case you aren't able to get a new set in time.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JosefStalinator posted:

The only problem with this is that the pontoons have not been constructed yet, and I'm pretty sure that the 8 denotes that it will take 8 more turns. I think for now, move as many men East as you can and we can use the pontoons later if there's still men that need crossing (or to move up artillery).

In case you can't revise your orders in time I order that the men move east, since the pontoons aren't built yet. This is just in case you aren't able to get a new set in time.

Got it, sending them to cross over the Lorax bridge.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 23, 2015

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Can I. Korps HQ cover 1. Division at Broulard and 2. Division at Lorax?

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
So, when I said I wanted my men to move to form up south of the river, I guessed I imagined them... well, not continuing to advance in column. Grey, could you form a rough line of my remaining rgt.s south of the crossing, before we advance as a Division onto the hill? I assume the hill is held by more forces than we can see, as it's the prime piece of defensive real estate in the area, and I really don't want to be caught in column marching towards it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah that would address my chief concern. i'd love to push dublish's division across right after him, also forming up before the charge

edit: or they could march east along the riverside, whatever floats their boats and finds their lost remotes. i want them to support ii korps but of course i do - i have no jurisdiction here

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 23, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

All Big Guns to move to bomb that MG nest
Rouge Squadron and Maroon to provide infantry support

Goldrapp and Pink Panthers to take Glacessui. And kill all those guns.

Engineers to keep digging for now.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah that would address my chief concern. i'd love to push dublish's division across right after him, also forming up before the charge

edit: or they could march east along the riverside, whatever floats their boats and finds their lost remotes. i want them to support ii korps but of course i do - i have no jurisdiction here

My tentative plan is to have 4. Regiment cross first, and for 1. Regiment to follow and fill in between your corps and 4. Regiment. I expect it will take a couple of turns to get everything across. If 4. Regiment needs to go join the assault before 1. Regiment is in position to help, I can change my plans.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
As always, giving simple orders and letting my regimental commanders(Re: Grey) position as he sees fit.

II Korps III Division
Pull the men back from the front line and regroup with the rear elements. Coalesce the Division into a big loving chunk and run the division in its entirety at the French lines. We will avenge t hat poor bicycle company!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ForeverBWFC posted:

So, when I said I wanted my men to move to form up south of the river, I guessed I imagined them... well, not continuing to advance in column. Grey, could you form a rough line of my remaining rgt.s south of the crossing, before we advance as a Division onto the hill? I assume the hill is held by more forces than we can see, as it's the prime piece of defensive real estate in the area, and I really don't want to be caught in column marching towards it.

A column isn't necessarily terrible - with speed on your side, you could potentially hit some HQ's before they can move them out. Don't miss that kind of opportunity!

Fanning out just lines up all your men for the slaughter. Get them up the hill, then fan out to flank and clear it of dastardly French. They'll be too busy firing on your allies to notice you!

Veloxyll posted:

Oh God please don't dissolve! Make sure to rig that bridge, since you rookies will collapse quickly and our whole flank will die horribly!

EDIT: If things go badly. Given the paucity of Frenchmen elsewhere, I fear many lurking over by you.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 23, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

We have ONE company of engineers on the whole flank. Right now I am preserving them.

As for the Centre:

Do you see what is in those two circles?
DO YOU SEE IT. A regimental and Corps command unit.

Can you imagine how hosed they will be if they lose their command structure?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
ORDERS FOR IV KORPS

IMPORTANT! IV KORPS HQ WILL MOVE TO THE SMALL FOREST BETWEEN SCHRONDINGER AND MUREAU

Veloxyll and Jesenjin, I have some minor modifications to you orders.

These instructions will be in place for the next 20 turns (10 hours). Follow them if you lose communications with HQ or receive no additional orders from IV Korps HQ.

Jesenjin posted:

IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!

You are doing commendably!
You will follow new attack order as on this map:

Green regiment will advance and take up position on the hill and in the forest. Attached orange cavalry will go south and take positions for flanking orders!

Red division will hold until further notice! It artillery pieces WILL MOVE TOWARD BRIDGE, but they are not to obstruct it nor are they to cross the river!

Purple[regiment will move towards bridge and prepare for assault!

Yellow regiment will stay and pound the french artillery with howitzers. (yellow crossed out section is there only for help, ignore it!)

Divisional commander will move toward the bridge as far as possible!

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

7 Division (Jesenjin), your mission is to cross the River Sombre (use the Pont du Schrodinger and pontoon bridges, should you choose to build them) and secure the Butte du Fesse, the Bois du Loin, and the Pont du Schrodinger. The high ground of the Butte du Fesse is your primary objective. Once you secure these positions, begin entrenching your men on the high ground and wait for further orders.

Use your entire division to accomplish these missions over the next ten hours. Remember to move your division HQ so that it stays in touch with your men as they move.

Here is a recommended scheme of maneuver. Cross the River with three infantry regiments, along with the regiment of 7.7cm guns. Leave the last regiment to the west of your 15cm gun line as a reserve force. Upon crossing the river, swing east and take the high ground. This attack should hit any French forces on the Butte du Fesse square in the flank.

Coordinated timing is crucial. I want your assault on the Bois du Loin to commence by Turn 6 and your assault on the Butte du Fesse to commence by Turn 9.

For at least the next 5 turns (2 hours, 30 minutes), please leave your 15cm guns in a gun line east of the Pont Du Mureau. Use them to support your assault on the Butte du Fesse and 8 Division's assault on Glacessui. After 5 turns has passed, feel free to move the guns as you please.

Veloxyll posted:

8 Division (Veloxyll), your mission for the next 20 turns (10 hours) is to cross the River Sombre in force. Your primary objectives in order of importance are to: 1) secure Glacessui, 2) assist 7 Division in securing Butte du Fesse 3) establish a field of fire on the open ground immediately south of Glacessui.

Ignore the French troops NE of the Dead Cow Farm.

Prior to launching your assault, I want you do to two things:
1) Clear the way with your artillery,. Mass your artillery in guns lines on the north bank of the River Sombre near the Pont du Mureau. Bombard any French troops within range.
2) Marshal your infantry so they can quickly cross the river. You have two regiments too far to the east. Bring them to the "T" Intersection near IV Korp's HQ so they are ready for the assault.

Once the assault begins, I want you to move across the river in force. Send all four regiments across the Pont du Mureau and into the fight. Use your artillery in the north bank gun line to bombard any targets you identify. If no targets present themselves, feel free to move your artillery south of the river to better support your attack.

Remember to move your division HQ so that it stays in touch with your men as they move.

Coordinated timing is crucial. I want your crossing of the river to begin on Turn 7 and your assault of Glacessui and the Butte du Fesse to commence no later than Turn 9.

Questions?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 23, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Uh, what French Troops? We've got eyes on 2 guns and that's IT. There are no other targets to array gun batteries against. And I rather suspect that they will have a hard time providing fire support in any Glacessui based battle. On the other hand, killing 12 divisions of infantry and 3 MGs unopposed sounds GREAT. Less to worry about in Glacessui, since I have to assume that when we hit the town they will come try to dogpile our eastern flank. I can hold the infantry if you'd like.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Uh, what French Troops? We've got eyes on 2 guns and that's IT. There are no other targets to array gun batteries against. And I rather suspect that they will have a hard time providing fire support in any Glacessui based battle. On the other hand, killing 12 divisions of infantry and 3 MGs unopposed sounds GREAT. Less to worry about in Glacessui, since I have to assume that when we hit the town they will come try to dogpile our eastern flank. I can hold the infantry if you'd like.

There are almost certainly enemy troops in Glacessui, or troops who will be moved there to meet any attack. Your guns will have targets.

I agree that they Dead Cow Frenchies are a tempting target, but they're not going to stick around and let you shoot at them. The moment they see heavy guns headed their way, the French will fall back.

So your guns will be out of position and without any targets. It's going to take precious time to get your guns back into a position where they could support a crossing (or cross the river themselves).

It's your division, so you can use your discretion. However, I strongly discourage you from doing anything that jeopardizes your primary mission of crossing the river and securing Glacessui and the immediate area.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Sir, I am out of engineers to rig the bridge or to build pontoon bridge!
I am going to use whole regiment to advance for the time being. One will remain in reserve, and third one will move to more useful assault position.
1st Regiment will remain at he bridge and try to snipe the artillery and give support to the VII Division.

Let's hope our outflanking maneuver works!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Jesenjin posted:

Sir, I am out of engineers to rig the bridge or to build pontoon bridge!
I am going to use whole regiment to advance for the time being. One will remain in reserve, and third one will move to more useful assault position.
1st Regiment will remain at he bridge and try to snipe the artillery and give support to the VII Division.

Let's hope our outflanking maneuver works!

What the hell happened to all our engineers? We had three, now we only have one.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

What the hell happened to all our engineers? We had three, now we only have one.

I presume they were killed while trying to build a pontoon bridge sir!
They died for the glory of Kaiserreich, let their death not be in vain!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Jesenjin posted:

I presume they were killed while trying to build a pontoon bridge sir!
They died for the glory of Kaiserreich, let their death not be in vain!

I'm sure God will acknowledge their heroism and martyrdom in Heaven by providing 72 bratwurst to each man. Long shall their pleasures be sated by Him via long, hot spicy bratwurst to fill up the orifices of our countrymen.

:dong:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Orders for III Korps., 6th Division

Division HQ (black) - move as indicated below
Grey, if this isn't my division HQ, ignore. I just want to keep it roughly in the middle of my regiments.

1st Regiment (light blue) - Shift to the east as indicated below. Keep guns in front along the river, infantry behind.
The objective is to put fires on the French units just north of Cheri Farm
Edit: I don't know who's cavalry and MG company that is, but they should move back to make way for the guns.

2nd Regiment (Red)
Stay put and put fires on the French guns on the tip of Chemains des Putains as indicated

3rd Regiment (Purple)
Move north around 2nd Regiment, then head East in preparation to cross the bridge at
Pont de Dax

4th Regiment (yellow)
Limber guns, then follow path towards bridge at Point de Dax in preparation to cross.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 24, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it seems like ii korps is getting feedback telling us to keep on running straight forward in column. do y'all* think we'll make it to the ridge in the next set of turns or just have another regiment dissolve? i'd hate to give up halfway through and watch another regiment dissolve while we form up for the charge but on the other hand there hasn't been much success as of yet. right now our orders involve forming up before we charge. do yall really want us to keep going in column?

*im from bavaria

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

pthighs posted:

Division HQ (black) - move as indicated below

Move your own division HQ, and not mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

dublish posted:

Move your own division HQ, and not mine.

I think that is mine. I believe yours started just to the NE of the bridge you are crossing.

I put a note for Grey, hopefully he can figure it out.

• Locked thread