Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

BBJoey posted:

too make it lighter so it can VTOL better, i believe

e: oh it's so that it can fit on the lovely marine knock-off carriers, lmao

Could the f-35 have worked without the USMC design requirements? If it was just USN / USAF could they have agreed on a non-lovely plane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
It's horrible. Thing is, as a mathematician I've looked into it - the data system on the plane is neat! http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-1553

Thing is, not much else is, and i know all about engines and wing end plasma injectors and all that stuff, and we're paying for dev in the UK, gently caress it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Ivor Biggun posted:

Could the f-35 have worked without the USMC design requirements? If it was just USN / USAF could they have agreed on a non-lovely plane?

maybe, but you'll have sold us an f22, which is what every western region wanted.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Ivor Biggun posted:

i'm pretty sure this already exists and it's called the super hornet.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ivor Biggun posted:

I'd say navy and army would be the spec dream team. The air force and marines are too busy trying to justify their independent existence outside of the army and navy.

The navy already managed to say "we dont want no retard plane, can we at least get one with normal sized wings?"

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Ivor Biggun posted:

I would probably have been a lot better, but im guessing it would still turn out way too expensive to be a proper replacement for the f16.
Even without the STOVL requirement you have "cheap carrier based stealth fighter bomber " which is still a tall order

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The air force can have a piece of poo poo plane that doesn't work, because it doesn't matter anyway. But the army might appreciate having a plane that's actually good at bombing ISIS.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
why the gently caress do marines need fighter jets

for fucks sake

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Libelous Slander posted:

why the gently caress do marines need fighter jets

for fucks sake

Looks like someone never heard of Guadalcanal!

e: how come the lesson of that battle wasnt "dont land troops on an island unless you control the waters around the island" but rather "every unit must have its own airforce on the off chance that they get isolated from the rest of the armed forces"

Pebergehund fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 24, 2015

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Pebergehund posted:

Looks like someone never heard of Guadalcanal!

e: how come the lesson of that battle wasnt "dont land troops on an island unless you control the waters around the island" but rather "every unit must have its own airforce on the off chance that they get isolated from the rest of the armed forces"

also extenuating circumstances. Earth has multiple types of terrain, not just pacific islands. just take a look at the feasibility of fielding the F35 in Northern Canada

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Libelous Slander posted:

also extenuating circumstances. Earth has multiple types of terrain, not just pacific islands. just take a look at the feasibility of fielding the F35 in Northern Canada
I think you might be overestimating the capability of the F35 on pacific islands.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Libelous Slander posted:

also extenuating circumstances. Earth has multiple types of terrain, not just pacific islands equipped with special heat-resistant landing pads. just take a look at the feasibility of fielding the F35 in Northern Canada

lest we forget

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

i forgot they melt tarmac unless you insert a mattress directly into the engine

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol at the thought of putting a $300 million plane on an improvised front line air field where it can get trashed on the ground by a $10 mortar.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

someone please post legit criticisms of the A-10 warthog so i can reduce my blood pressure

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

there are none, the a-10 is perfect, gently caress you

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Libelous Slander posted:

someone please post legit criticisms of the A-10 warthog so i can reduce my blood pressure

It's too efficient for military purposes.

az
Dec 2, 2005

the gun cant kill any semi modern mbts anymore :shrug:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Libelous Slander posted:

Its dead meat against any modern air defense system, and vulnerable at low level to even relatively lovely SAMs. It can drop bombs on goats perfectly well but so can a bunch of other planes that also have other uses as well. The dumpster fire that is the F-35 program has hosed the Air Force budget to the point that something has to go, and the A-10 is a reasonable candidate once we're already stupidly backed into that corner.

( I love the A-10 because it was basically a win button when playing M-1 Tank Platoon.)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

P-Mack posted:

Its dead meat against any modern air defense system, and vulnerable at low level to even relatively lovely SAMs. It can drop bombs on goats perfectly well but so can a bunch of other planes that also have other uses as well. The dumpster fire that is the F-35 program has hosed the Air Force budget to the point that something has to go, and the A-10 is a reasonable candidate once we're already stupidly backed into that corner.

( I love the A-10 because it was basically a win button when playing M-1 Tank Platoon.)

I'm not much of a military buff, so I honestly don't know, but what are good alternative ways of air support (CAS) for ground troops that don't share the same drawback? Helicopter? They seem just as vulnerable to me, and just as expensive. Giant hulking AC-130's? Seems easier to shoot down if anything. The F-35 Joint Strike Fuuuahahahahah can't even say it with a straight face. Other, functional jets? Like the Super Hornet or the F-16?

Given the scenario of two modern nations fighting, what could actually do that job? When's the last time that even happened?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm not much of a military buff, so I honestly don't know, but what are good alternative ways of air support (CAS) for ground troops that don't share the same drawback? Helicopter? They seem just as vulnerable to me, and just as expensive. Giant hulking AC-130's? Seems easier to shoot down if anything. The F-35 Joint Strike Fuuuahahahahah can't even say it with a straight face. Other, functional jets? Like the Super Hornet or the F-16?

Given the scenario of two modern nations fighting, what could actually do that job? When's the last time that even happened?

drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones

drones?

e. just a wild guess but in my imagination there are guys around big tables in army clothes smoking cigars talking about how to do this stuff with drones

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

i want to hear the borg speech with the borg voice but he's talking about the F35 instead of the collective

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

That's exactly what the F-15E Strike Eagle was designed for

e: It's what we used to hunt scuds back in gulf war i

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 24, 2015

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

proof of concept posted:

drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones drones

drones?

e. just a wild guess but in my imagination there are guys around big tables in army clothes smoking cigars talking about how to do this stuff with drones

Well yeah, I'd assume that would be the only thing that could conceivably work in all scenarios, including against a modern military. How many drones would a single F-35 buy? I don't mean straight trade, who the gently caress would trade a functional drone for a stealthish pilot coffin, but dollar value.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Well yeah, I'd assume that would be the only thing that could conceivably work in all scenarios, including against a modern military. How many drones would a single F-35 buy? I don't mean straight trade, who the gently caress would trade a functional drone for a stealthish pilot coffin, but dollar value.

Actual stealth drones that can carry enough armament to matter are expensive. Not a direct comparison since they only made 2, but the X-47B program cost about $800 million.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

F-16s and F-15s are still America's fall back jets, the f-16 being extremely fast and easy to mass produce in the case of a total war, we'd definitely be seeing hundreds of those planes being built fresh instead of f-35s, if a war was to happen TODAY and not TOMORROW with combat drone hardware and AI that does not exist yet (although there would be lots of predators in the skies too). Presumably in a few years the F-35A is supposed to be pretty close in production cost and time to an F-16C but HA NOPE NEVER HAPPENING

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
"Deploy operation culture-based deterrent suppresive drone force!"
___________________________________________/

*middle eastern battlefield swarmed over with these*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU-ur7PL9Vk

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

isn't the a-10's loiter time worth something?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Isn't the f-35 loiter time about how long it takes to go get a pack of smokes?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

cheesetriangles posted:

You don't want to smoke near a F35 they'll catch on fire.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cheesetriangles posted:

Yes, the time it takes to get a pack of smokes when you live in the unit above a corner shop.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

cheesetriangles posted:

If by that you mean "supposed to be back in minutes, but never returns at all", then yes, I suppose so.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

lol that after VTO they have to midair refuel the plane

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Libelous Slander posted:

"Look, the design doc says it has to take off vertically, it doesn't say it has to take off vertically and then be useful. Not my job."

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Libelous Slander posted:

Is that it's most useless capability or would that be stealth that prevents it from carrying weapons?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what's the point of an aircraft being able to VTOL if it has to be supported in the air by aircraft that can't VTOL?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Moridin920 posted:

what's the point of an aircraft being able to VTOL if it has to be supported in the air by aircraft that can't VTOL?

Thousands upon thousands of F35s launched from garbage scows while a carrier launches the refueling planes.

Real answer: Lining the pockets of the right congressmen.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You could design a better plane with a slide rule and chain smoking if it wasn't for all the corruption.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

cheesetriangles posted:

You could design a better plane with a slide rule and chain smoking if it wasn't for all the corruption.

Chain smoking would probably kill more people than the F-35 (disregarding the pilots), which makes it the greatest american peace-maker ever made!

fake edit: slide rule probably also has killed more people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Chain smoking would probably kill more people than the F-35 (disregarding the pilots), which makes it the greatest american peace-maker ever made!

fake edit: slide rule probably also has killed more people
Nope it's obesity

• Locked thread