Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sorry you have the brain aids where you can't look away from a screen for more that 30 mins in tyool 2015 :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I actually felt my myopia fading away when I was trapped outside for 45 mins without my phone or kindle which I keep in a waterproof ziplock bag so my lady-wife has an excuse not to gently caress me. :gonk:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I actually felt my myopia fading away when I was trapped outside for 45 mins without my phone or kindle which I keep in a waterproof ziplock bag so my lady-wife has an excuse not to gently caress me. :gonk:

sorry for your assistant that translates your dictations into shitposts b/c ur illiterate. honey you can go to computer classes, you can be a cj too and amke the big bucks and post in the yos! don't stop dreaming!

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
I still don't get why it's bad to enjoy reading a book outside.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sorry you have the brain aids where you can't look away from a screen for more that 30 mins in tyool 2015 :shrug:

what if it were a physical book?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Peanut and the Gang posted:

I still don't get why it's bad to enjoy reading a book outside.

it's because all the good posters in fyad jumped ship to weird twitter and the people too poo poo to "make it" stuck with sa tryin to get emptyquotes by trawling for goony posts rather than actually being funny anymore

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Valeyard posted:

what if it were a physical book?

well then ude be a poor, and a human being. "hth"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

:negative:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Marzzle posted:

it's because all the good posters in fyad jumped ship to weird twitter and the people too poo poo to "make it" stuck with sa tryin to get emptyquotes by trawling for goony posts rather than actually being funny anymore

Oh dear.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Smythe posted:

i am pretty convinced that the biggest reason people hate on kindles is actually because they just want a big shelf of books like a wall of trophies to prove that they can read like a grown up

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im illiterate

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Marzzle posted:

i am pretty convinced that the biggest reason people hate on kindles is actually because they just want a big shelf of books like a wall of trophies to prove that they can read like a grown up

i have both a lot of physical books and also a kindle and they are both good

people who hat eon kindles are really expressing their fear of the future as embodied in technology

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

people who hat eon kindles are really expressing their fear of the future as embodied in technology

it's kind of like when people hate on millenials

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I don;t give a poo poo if you own a kindle, but when oyu literally cannot fathom going to the beach without a kindle in case you get bored, I think oyu have a brain disease that stems from spending your childhood indoors and alone.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marzzle posted:

the kobo aura h20 is so drat sweet but they won't ship it to my state cause we aren't american enough and it's also like 80-90$ more than a paper white but you can modify pretty much everything about it by mounting its file system and editing config files to get your ideal comic sans readin' rig

I've got a kobo glo what's te differ?? I love how copy ePub to it on USB is enough as adding fonts the same deal. no need to fucl with the device to make it work

crits of kobo glo: light could be warmer and maybe go a bit dimmer at low end of scale
and the book choosing interface sucks. ok if u know what u want to read but if browsing it sucks. also auto switch off wifi after no use would he gtrat. pocket integration great

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
"It's abot the tactile sensation of turning the page. the smell of the pages. That familiariar scent of Grandads Bible that he'd give to me to read to him, as he sat in his rocking chair smoking his pipe. Margaret! Come on in and set the table now hon!!"

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Smythe posted:

"It's abot the tactile sensation of turning the page. the smell of the pages. That familiariar scent of Grandads Bible that he'd give to me to read to him, as he sat in his rocking chair smoking his pipe. Margaret! Come on in and set the table now hon!!"

books are cool dumbass

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

duTrieux. posted:

i have both a lot of physical books and also a kindle and they are both good

ehhh i think it's a combo of the 2 but i guess the english/journalism/etc types seem afraid of it replacing books while the more technically oriented people i know just want to prove to the world that they are good at something other than computers and math

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don;t give a poo poo if you own a kindle, but when oyu literally cannot fathom going to the beach without a kindle in case you get bored, I think oyu have a brain disease that stems from spending your childhood indoors and alone.

aw poo poo a poster crawled out of the post apocalyptic ruins of fyad to tell me i have a mental illness. i am gonna go get to a psychiatrist right away and totally worry my goony little head off about whether or not it's normal to read on a beach lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
retarded nerd reading a book inseatd of watchin TV: im getting smarter, durr.. im learning a lot or taking a journey in my imagination

swag programmer pimp: XBOx - get thsi loser out of my house, ive got some hb10 pussy to destroy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I agree but it's not lame to desire to red
Bok on beach but if u can't beach without book u got issue

coz lmao if u don't carry a supply of hallucinogens in your pocket for rainy day occasions like not having technology

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

echinopsis posted:

I've got a kobo glo what's te differ?? I love how copy ePub to it on USB is enough as adding fonts the same deal. no need to fucl with the device to make it work

crits of kobo glo: light could be warmer and maybe go a bit dimmer at low end of scale
and the book choosing interface sucks. ok if u know what u want to read but if browsing it sucks. also auto switch off wifi after no use would he gtrat. pocket integration great

aura hd has a higher ppi on the text and I think it's a 7" screen or something. the "h2o" version is water proof. the operating system of the kobo is pretty decent but you already have that in the glo. however, the disappointing thing about all e-readers to me is that the screens are usually made of fragile plastic so it'd be nice if someone made one with a decently hard frosted glass screen

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Marzzle posted:

aw poo poo a poster crawled out of the post apocalyptic ruins of fyad to tell me i have a mental illness. i am gonna go get to a psychiatrist right away and totally worry my goony little head off about whether or not it's normal to read on a beach lol

I'm from YOSPOS.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm from YOSPOS.

welp i guess i am happy to help you diversify your poo poo posting portfolio

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Marzzle posted:

ehhh i think it's a combo of the 2 but i guess the english/journalism/etc types seem afraid of it replacing books while the more technically oriented people i know just want to prove to the world that they are good at something other than computers and math

i think age is the more influential factor

in my case i use the kindle for mass-market or public domain, converted articles, that sort of thing. i buy physical newer books or sometimes older ones just because i think they're neat. these rules are neither hard nor fast

shelves full of tree meat

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i've read a book on a beach. it's nice. i've also not read a book on a beach. it's also nice.

with enough time spent on a beach you can do both. a wonder, that.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i guess i can see why you'd get mad at the concept of reading a book on a beach if, like, you live somewhere such that seeing the ocean is an Event

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

duTrieux. posted:

i think age is the more influential factor

in my case i use the kindle for mass-market or public domain, converted articles, that sort of thing. i buy physical newer books or sometimes older ones just because i think they're neat. these rules are neither hard nor fast

shelves full of tree meat

it sorta seems like ereader vs book is a silly thing to get up in arms about but yeah the more normal thing to do would probably be this. i seem to encounter people with really extreme opinions on it a lot more than people that don't really care though and those are the best reasons i can think of as to why ereaders are such a divisive thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
today purchase : 4kg of dry ice :q:

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

duTrieux. posted:

i guess i can see why you'd get mad at the concept of reading a book on a beach if, like, you live somewhere such that seeing the ocean is an Event

yeah i ate lunch at the beach today and then read some papers for school. lmao if you don't live a mile from a beach, sorry you live in the midwest or whatever

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Marzzle posted:

it sorta seems like ereader vs book is a silly thing to get up in arms about but yeah the more normal thing to do would probably be this. i seem to encounter people with really extreme opinions on it a lot more than people that don't really care though and those are the best reasons i can think of as to why ereaders are such a divisive thing

some people do get super worked up about it. it really doesn't make any sense

(a cool thing about physical books is that you can give them to other people to read. let them go. it's okay.)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

:agreed: unironically like why the gently caress do u go to the beach if you;re going to be "bored" there lmao

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

yeah some ppl never get to go to a beach in their lives but i go to one and im bored there unless i take poo poo to do from home

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

:agreed: unironically like why the gently caress do u go to the beach if you;re going to be "bored" there lmao

lol going to the beach is an event for you

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

YOSPOS is so cool because people here say the most retarded loser bullshit on a constant basis.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah I'm so freaking cool, that I go to the beach in ym bathrobe and play with my portable computers. Meh, I might look up at the ocean once in a while, but honestly, seen one seen em all imo.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

i dotn know what this means. gratz on your job selling seashells at teh sea shore i guess :shrug:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

gotta pack in as much as possible on this vacation! no time to relax, must experience everything!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

duTrieux. posted:

gotta pack in as much as possible on this vacation! no time to relax, must experience everything!

kinda though. u can relax at home
but watch a gator juggle a baby? only in Florida and only while on holiday/ don't want to miss out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Knuc U Kinte posted:

YOSPOS is so cool because people here say the most retarded loser bullshit on a constant basis.

here's a p good example :smugmrgw:

• Locked thread