Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

JosefStalinator posted:

[II. Korps

Pink: These artillery are still in range. Go into a defensive stance and fire on the Chemains.

Purple: These artillery are out of range now. Move them up to support the attack across Broulard.

Yellow: These guys are a bit overextended now. Fan out and prepare to resist any counter attacks. Feel free to maneuver as you see fit if you feel your position is vulnerable to artillery.

Sounds good to me! Limber the Purple artillery and cross the river with them, pull Yellow infantry back into a firing line until artillery arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

6th Division, III Korps. Orders

1st Regiment (dark blue) - MG Company move out of the way. The 3 7.7cm Companies are to move as indicated and set up along the river, then engage French forces to the west of Mange Pomme

2nd Regiment (yellow) - Stay put and destory the last French gun left on the tip of Chemains du Putain, then limber up all guns and move towards the bridges

3rd Regiment (red) - Continue queueing to cross the river. Use pontoon bridges when they are completed

4th Regiment (light blue) - Cavalry and MG move to join up with the rest of the regiment. Continue queueing to cross the river. Use pontoon bridges when they are completed

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

pthighs posted:

6th Division, III Korps. Orders

1st Regiment (dark blue) - MG Company move out of the way. The 3 7.7cm Companies are to move as indicated and set up along the river, then engage French forces to the west of Mange Pomme

2nd Regiment (yellow) - Stay put and destory the last French gun left on the tip of Chemains du Putain, then limber up all guns and move towards the bridges

3rd Regiment (red) - Continue queueing to cross the river. Use pontoon bridges when they are completed

4th Regiment (light blue) - Cavalry and MG move to join up with the rest of the regiment. Continue queueing to cross the river. Use pontoon bridges when they are completed

The high command heartily approves of the use of explosion graphics in this plan.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
IV Corps
7. Division

Men, attention!
It has come to my attention that elements of 7th division have resorted to cowardice. I must inform you that they have already been captured and court martial-ed.
If any one of you gets the same idea, I will execute you myself!
Now for the orders:

Artillery from across the river (unit furthest to the west designated with red) will fall back and assume the position to fire at the advancing enemy
Artillery on our side of the river (unit in the east designated with red) will advance forward and assume the position to reign death on any Frenchmen in Glacessui.
Infantry regiment designated in yellow will advance and to the west and assume position designated by yellow rectangular. They are to guard our side of the river.

Generaleutnant Jesenjin

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Orders are final!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Good luck, brave pewter/pixelmen!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Turn 7 – 11:00am
Germany wins the initiative!
1st Division changes to attack orders!

Some units cross the Sombre, some units pull back.

In the centre, the attack halts for a while to ready for a more organised push. The town is now full of eager German soldiers waiting for the order to attack. They rest and eat an early lunch, those that can stomach food.

Around Mange-Pomme, there is no let up in the fighting as more troops are pushed forwards.

Machine guns open up from Glacessui, but only one German company is lost.

At Mange-Pomme, the Germans fire on the counter attacking Frenchmen, who take four companies worth of losses.

The Germans in front of Chemins des Putains fall back, but not out of reach of the French guns, who continue to punish them.

The French fire on the attacking Germans at Mange-Pomme, but cannot score a hit. We now come to an interesting thing that has not come up before, troops can take morale checks after shooting, but before close combat. The French regiment in Mange-Pomme does so, and fails! The French to the north then lose two companies to the German one.

5/1 Regiment must make a Morale check – Pass!
3/3 Regiment must make a Morale check – Pass!

Turn 8 – 11:30am
French win the initiative.

German Forces are across the Sombre in force now, and the forces around Mange-Pomme brace for the next wave of French attacks.

Here too your troops are beginning to mass.

8th Division sends their men forwards again.

Advancing German troops take hundreds more casualties as three companies fall to terrible fire from the town.

Charging into Mange-Pomme costs the French three Companies, but a lot of their men make contact.

The big guns have nothing to say, but the Advancing French infantry do, as three more German companies are wiped out.

The assaults reach their targets, and the Germans hold their ground, three French units are hit in the north to two of their German counterparts. To the south of the town, the Germans rule supreme, killing two without taking noticeable losses.

5/1 Regiment must make a morale check! Pass!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ii korps, i think it's time to chaaaaaaarge

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I hope history doesn't end up labeling me the butcher or something else suitable for the fighting around mange pomme.

:ohdear:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wait, what does the red X at Pont Kubrick mean?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

more detailed orders:

in coubarbe, leave the westmost regiment where they are to protect the flank. the other three regiments attack the chemin. keep the front line relatively narrow and overload the attack on the westernmost end of the ridge, we should try to take the edge and peel the french off the chemin from there, rather than frontally assaulting broadly. i think the artillery can support? keep moving them up. use the engineers to make fortifications for the artillery once they're in firing range.

at broulard, get one more regiment over and some artillery in supporting position, then attack. engineers build the artillery fortifications when they're in good position. should we angle a bit to the right or attack the exact same place we failed to take last time?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
1 Korps, new orders

1st division: get your guns up on to Chemin des Putains to support the attack on Mange-Pomme. We don't know what's up there, so you might want to advance your infantry to spot for your guns first.

2nd division: There's not much room for subtlety on this one Get your men across to support III Div's attack on the town. You may want to consider moving your cavalry up onto the ridgeline to flank their forces there

warhammer651 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 29, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Wait, what does the red X at Pont Kubrick mean?

Well it looks like me and Generaloberst Von Stalinator were correct in our fears about that bridge.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crowsbeak posted:

Well it looks like me and Generaloberst Von Stalinator were correct in our fears about that bridge.

Well, even if it means that it's been blown up, there's no way we could have reached it in time to prevent it from happening.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
If we still want to cross the second river, we could pull back III korps and take pont de groot.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The hammer is about to hit the anvil, III is winning, for once, and III, I and II are positioned to squeeze the French hard in conjunction. I think that destroying the French formations is more important than crossing the river. Crossing can be made once the fighting is resolved.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

warhammer651 posted:

If we still want to cross the second river, we could pull back III korps and take pont de groot.

That is what I have been suggesting, we could occupy that entire strech of the river, while also showing where our phantom fifth corps has been. But I say only do this once Magne Poome is secured.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What strategic objective would be furthered by occupying an empty stretch of a river with a bridge of dubious utility? Our forces are finally ready to prepare a multi-pronged attack against French strngholds, there's no point to diluting our forces and effectively removing an entire Korps from action at a pivotal moment like that! If we can take Mange Pomme and Farm Cheri and use them for pinning down the French positions on the western side of the ridge, we can dislocate and destroy a confirmed strong French concentration.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 29, 2015

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
IICorps, 2nd Division

All regiments are to be on attack stance and assaulting the french. Grodd ( black) is attacking into Magne Pomme, Zoom will attack both iunto Magne Pomme and into whatever that french unit is near the farm. Trickster (orange) will attack Cheri Farm, Pied Pipper (green) will attack between magne pomme and the forest. Make sure the engineers are not at the front and keep them back. Also the cav if it can cross the bridges on time I want to screen the Trickster regiment on its west. Finally deploy the artillery (grey) to the east of magne pomme and on pont de dax where I myself will move my HQ, a general does not lead from the supply train. All men you will do your duty to God and the Kaiser. Gott Mitt Uns.

Also the point of crossing would be to convince the french we are going to pocket their forces on the second ridge and force them to withdraw. Plus to give the impression our force are larger than reality.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 30, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I would rather see our companies killing frogs now, when they have a chance, than tricking them into thinking that we'll be killing them fifty turns from now. But hey, let's see what Herr Feldmarschall thinks.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

y0 ii korps

bwfc, how wide do you want your men to advance? we saw that a column like two companies wide didn't work. two regiments wide? three wide?

arbitrary, do you want to do something to your right flank with your cavalry? i'm guessing they're not gonna be the most helpful going up the hill

both of you of course can write up your own orders

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

I would rather see our companies killing frogs now, when they have a chance, than tricking them into thinking that we'll be killing them fifty turns from now. But hey, let's see what Herr Feldmarschall thinks.

Also if we can get art across the other river we can enfilade the frogs.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

my opinion is that if we don't attack the chemin with three korps we are probably going to end up with all the bridges and none of the high ground and then we will lose

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Well, this is a pickle. That many MG emplacements implies a full Corps against us.

On the other hand, we're within charge range of 6 companies of precious MGs. I'd love to get some guns across and moving down or up river to bombard in line,

8 Div awaits further orders.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
BTW anyone notice this? (The brown unit on the very western southern edge).

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

BTW anyone notice this? (The brown unit on the very western southern edge).

...Either Grey made a mistake or the west is going to need to deal with another group coming into play.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Weren't the British uniforms during WWI brown khakis? :tinfoil:

Crowsbeak posted:

ICorps, 2nd Division

All regiments are to be on attack stance and assaulting the french. Zoom and Grodd (Gold and black) are attacking into Magne Pomme, Trickster (orange) will attack Cheri Farm, Pied Pipper (green) will attack between magne pomme and the forest. Make sure the engineers are not at the front and keep them back. Also the cav if it can cross the bridges on time I want to screen the Trickster regiment on its west. Finally deploy the artillery to thee east of magne pomme and on pont de dax where I myself will move my HQ, a general does not lead from the supply train. All men you will do your duty to God and the Kaiser. Gott Mitt Uns.

Also the point of crossing would be to convince the french we are going to pocket their forces on the second ridge and force them to withdraw. Plus to give the impression our force are larger than reality.

I'm not sure your Gold and Black units will be able to fit into the combat zone. I've still got a lot of men engaged in fighting there, and I can't afford to move them; as the French are currently in 'attack' mode and I'm in defense mode, my shots are going in first letting me finish off those frogs. If I moved, I would likely lose another regiment to them. Perhaps send yellow and green at those un-engaged Frenchmen on the farm and prepare Orange to take the heights? Black should be able to find room by the time they arrive at the bridge because my forces are spread thin- casualties or routing will remove them shortly.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

warhammer651 posted:

...Either Grey made a mistake or the west is going to need to deal with another group coming into play.

Being that we havn't had things go exactly our way, I vote the latter and suggest that the fourth korps dig in and prepare to be attacked.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The fourth Korps should dig in either way, because they are a goddamn reserve unit and entirely unfit for an autonomous offensive.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Slaan posted:

I'm not sure your Gold and Black units will be able to fit into the combat zone. I've still got a lot of men engaged in fighting there, and I can't afford to move them; as the French are currently in 'attack' mode and I'm in defense mode, my shots are going in first letting me finish off those frogs. If I moved, I would likely lose another regiment to them. Perhaps send yellow and green at those un-engaged Frenchmen on the farm and prepare Orange to take the heights? Black should be able to find room by the time they arrive at the bridge because my forces are spread thin- casualties or routing will remove them shortly.

I changed the order, I still am concentrating the attack because I really feel that we need to use overwhelming force to achieve our objectives. Also I still feel we should when we can try to disorient out opponents rather than fight them. Finally, yes you are corrct the british wore khakis, seriously we are hosed.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 29, 2015

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Slaan posted:

So were the uniforms of French colonial troops. Maybe they've brought along some Moroccan tirailleurs?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

So were the uniforms of French colonial troops.
Oh god we're fighting the Foreign Legion?! :gonk:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Orders for IV Korps

IV Korps HQ:
Move to the marked position on the map, set up the camp stoves and brew some coffee.

7 Division
Establish defensive positions in the marked areas (yellow=suggested infantry lines, red=suggested gunlines). Establish fields of fire covering the Pont du Schrodinger and Las Vegas. Make sure your artillery is concentrated and has good fields of fire (you'll probably need to repreposition your 15cm guns). If possible, dig rifle pits and create roadblocks to prevent enemy movement east along the Las Vegas road or north along the Pont du Schrodinger.

8 Division
Cease your attack immediately. Pull back across the River Sombre and establish defensive lines on the north bank. Ensure that no French troops cross the Pont du Fesse.

Mass your artillery on the bank of the River Sombre, see if you can hit those Frenchmen in Glacessui with some fire!

Create a defensive line covering the Sombre (keep your men far enough back that they are not exposed to French artillery on the Butte du Fesse), paying special care to give your MG companies good fields of fire. Keep 1-2 regiments in reserve at the T intersection and use them to respond to any French attacks on 7 or 8 Division.

e: Grey, some quick questions. Firstly, what happened to IV Korps' engineers? we had three companies, now we only have one. Second, can routed units be re-formed or rallied? If so, how can that be managed? Thirdly, can infantrymen dig improvised defensive positions like rifle pits or barricaded houses? If so, how long will this take?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
an orders spreadsheet I missed somewhere? None of 6th division moved at all.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

V DIVISION, III Korps

All regiments are to Remain in Defensive positions and continue to fire upon the French.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
III KORPS

V Division: Your orders are clear: Finish off the town from your stationary positions.

VI Division: Implement crossing orders ASAP. Place the bulk of your infantry in preparation for attacking Farm Cheri (I'd keep them outside rifle range until you can see them physically on the other side, to prevent mishaps - anything north of the black line should be more or less safe). Your artillery should be lined up along the southern bank of the river to allow shelling both the farm and the ridge, should some French emerge from over there.

pthighs posted:

an orders spreadsheet I missed somewhere? None of 6th division moved at all.

Maybe the bridges were clogged?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

ii korps, i think it's time to chaaaaaaarge

:getin:

Crowsbeak posted:

:(. You're probably right - I don't know how they managed to blow it this quickly (if that is indeed what it means). I wonder if we can rebuild it faster than a pontoon builds, if only because we have the foundation (and probably some wreckage).

I'll get my orders in soon, but overall you guys look like you've been doing a good job. Next turn will be a good turn :hist101:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JosefStalinator posted:

:getin:

:(. You're probably right - I don't know how they managed to blow it this quickly (if that is indeed what it means). I wonder if we can rebuild it faster than a pontoon builds, if only because we have the foundation (and probably some wreckage).

I'll get my orders in soon, but overall you guys look like you've been doing a good job. Next turn will be a good turn :hist101:

If you want my engineers can fix the bridge.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

From the Desk of Fieldmarschall Josef Stalinator

The hammer is falling this turn. Crush the Frenchmen :getin:

I and III. Korps

You guys seem to already know what you're doing, but just in case you need guidance here's some. If you've already got orders in to this effect, don't stress.

Red: This brave regiment needs a name, especially before it falls. It's the most valiant of them all, and should continue in defensive stance, raining death upon those it faces.

Pink: These guys are in a good position to push into Mange-Pomme and provide some relief for those already engaged. Charge!

Blue: These guys are in a rough position, and further pressing in may be unwise. I would spend a turn spreading out then enter a defensive stance, but if you want to maintain the initiative, go for it.

Yellow: It is absolutely pivotal that these guys move up on Cheri farm and start flanking the French there.

Green: These men are a bit removed, but can be useful as a second line should something go wrong in the east. Work with that artillery just south of them to move up and fill the ranks of any falling Germans, but otherwise keep the push on Mange-Pomme strong.

Orange: Get your asses across the bridge! We need eyes on the hills, too.

Blue: Come on slow pokes, get to the bridges!

II. Korps

Your turn will be absolutely critical. We don't have eyes on the Frenchmen but they also haven't fired on us, which makes me wonder if they're redeploying Eastward to deal with Mange-pomme. Time to take advantage of this.

Red: :black101: You may want to spread out a bit to take advantage of your depth, but get your rear end up that hill. You will suffer casualties (if they're up there in force) but you have tons of dudes. Make them pay!

Yellow: These artillery are being useless, move them up and put them in defensive stance. Destroy all Frenchmen!

Teal: These artillery may want to stay UNTIL the yellows are in place, since you can't fire over your own units. Keep them here for turn 1, so they can attack the French you reveal on the hill, then unlumber turn 2 and move up.

Orange: You can charge up with these guys if you want, but you may also want to move up just enough to let more dudes come in behind. Your call.

Green: These guys are probably bunched up too much. Spread them out and advance, getting ready for a full assault whenever you deem it prudent.

Black: These artillery are sitting around uselessly. Move them across the river. Maybe just move the eastern-most artillery up to the river so that they can fire on the hills.

Blue: Get across the river! These guys are the second line of attack.

IV. Korps

Rumors of Brits? All the more reason to be cautious, though I dunno if this is some ploy or what. Either way, you are on the defensive side of the map so it doesn't matter.

Blue: Form up and go on the defensive. I like the artillery placement, but move the rest of the guys to fire on anything that crosses the bridge. I would recommend pointing MG's at the choke point, with infantry anywhere they can't fit.

Green: Same here - form your MG's around the bridge, with infantry filling any gaps. Make them pay for crossing.

Orange: Much of this artillery can fire on the French, so do that. Those that are a bit further back or behind infantry should move up to the river and unlimber to make them pay.

Red: What to do about these guys? They aren't in a good position at all, and I want to have them retreat, but fear doing so will make them all die. Your call, but if you do have them retreat, make sure to move some green guys back a bit to make room for them to get back across.

Also, if you think the British threat is real, get an engineer to blow the far Western bridge. You're much stronger on the other bridge, so blowing that allows you to focus on the one chokepoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Red: This brave regiment needs a name, especially before it falls. It's the most valiant of them all, and should continue in defensive stance, raining death upon those it faces.

What is the German word for "Boiler?" Because they are hereby call the Frog Boilers. :toot:

• Locked thread