Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Effectronica posted:

Hello, anime.
Don't sign your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Anime is pretty bad y'all

Return thee to YOSPOS.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

The manga is better because it introduces the antagonists much more quickly, gave a good explanation for everyone's motivations rather than just 'lol I'm psychotic' and had a lot bigger stakes overall.
Also much heavier on the sci-fi compared to the western part than the anime.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zereth posted:

Also much heavier on the sci-fi compared to the western part than the anime.

Yeah. Overall it was just more compelling and better plotted.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Captain Foo posted:

Anime is pretty bad y'all

Agree

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Return thee to YOSPOS.

Disagree.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Sion posted:

Agree

Disagree.

Attorney at Funk posted:

anime aeternam

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

Yeah. Overall it was just more compelling and better plotted.
Also explains what the gently caress a Plant is and why they're important, doesn't the Anime have Vash stop one from overloading and then they just kinda fade into the background?

Meanwhile they're kinda central to the plot in the manga.

I do kinda like the style of the anime better, I liked the western stuff, but everything else...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Zereth posted:

Also explains what the gently caress a Plant is and why they're important, doesn't the Anime have Vash stop one from overloading and then they just kinda fade into the background?

Meanwhile they're kinda central to the plot in the manga.

I do kinda like the style of the anime better, I liked the western stuff, but everything else...

Does the power plant provide...power?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

goodness posted:

Does the power plant provide...power?

It provides everything but the ethics of it all are debatable.

Zereth posted:

Yeah. Until I read the manga I just assumed they were light-bulb shaped power generators.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

It provides everything but the ethics of it all are debatable.
Complicated by the fact that the planet appears to be more or less uninhabitable by humans without using them like that!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Plants are people man...

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly a Trigun remake that's more faithful to the manga would do better for itself. Sort of like the first FMA anime versus FMA: Brotherhood

I think part of the problem was that the anime was produced in 1998 and the comic didn't conclude until a decade after that

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 26, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

Honestly a Trigun remake that's more faithful to the manga would do better for itself. Sort of like the first FMA anime versus FMA: Brotherhood

I think part of the problem was that the anime was produced in 1998 and the comic didn't conclude until a decade after that
That probably didn't help, no.

Didn't the first FMA anime conclude before the manga did as well?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zereth posted:

That probably didn't help, no.

Didn't the first FMA anime conclude before the manga did as well?

That it did, and I have no idea why they do stuff like this for unfinished series because it always turns into a haphazard mess as the show outpaces the comic.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Effectronica posted:

Hello, anime.
My old friend.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bedlamdan posted:

That it did, and I have no idea why they do stuff like this for unfinished series because it always turns into a haphazard mess as the show outpaces the comic.

They do it because making an anime at the height of a manga's popularity is basically like printing money. More often than not, a lot of manga tend to peter out or have really bad endings, too, so waiting until a manga finishes before making an anime for it runs the risk that the ending might ruin everything up to that point, or a bad ending may leave a sour taste in the mouths of a lot of potential viewers. Which is why we got an Attack on Titan anime when there were only 35 chapters of the manga out, and why we get issues where the One Piece anime has to translate one chapter of manga per episode of anime because it caught up years ago, making the anime's pacing absolutely glacial.

So basically, capitalism corrupts artistic quality.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Bedlamdan posted:

Because if the demand is there for an anime to be made right now it's going to be made right now.

The alternative, of course, is to do the Attack on Titan thing and make us wait a year and a goddamn half between seasons.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gnome7 posted:

So basically, capitalism corrupts artistic quality.

*nods*

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

To be fair in One Piece's case the Dressrosa arc's manga pacing is not that fast either and it skipping various weeks because of the artist's illness doesn't help.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Some anime series aren't even made to stand on their own, but to act as commercials for the ongoing manga. That's why some just adapt a couple of arcs and don't even bother with a real ending.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

gnome7 posted:

More often than not, a lot of manga tend to peter out or have really bad endings, too, so waiting until a manga finishes before making an anime for it runs the risk that the ending might ruin everything up to that point, or a bad ending may leave a sour taste in the mouths of a lot of potential viewers.

Man, this sounds familiar *cough* GameofThrones.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't wait for Game of Thrones filler. Wanna see Jon Snow learn to drive.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

George R. R. Martin has a reputation for taking his time when it comes to writing. HBO knew what they were getting into, or at least should have. :colbert:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Game of Thrones is apparently dropping major unpublished spoilers into the next season. They showrunners said they have a collection of Martin's notes and full creative control - as evidenced by GRRM's whining about last seasons' changes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Zurui posted:

Game of Thrones is apparently dropping major unpublished spoilers into the next season. They showrunners said they have a collection of Martin's notes and full creative control - as evidenced by GRRM's whining about last seasons' changes.

I haven't watched a single episode but I'm more than confident in saying that whatever changes they made were probably a Good Thing, and however they handle further seasons will be better than what GRRM shits out 10 years down the line.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zurui posted:

Good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, he already knows how to dive... muff-dive, that is, because he invented it!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Waffleman_ posted:

He already knows where the stick is.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well, he already knows how to dive... muff-dive, that is, because he invented it!

No one ate pussy in westeros before he mucked box on that ginger chick?

I always thought creamy lamprey pie was an innuendo.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Lord Frisk posted:

Geez, no wonder everybody's so bloodthirsty!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to GRRM deliberately crashing the novels and going off-plan just to spite the HBO show. (In ten years.)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

Canonically, no. He was the first.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

moths posted:

I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to GRRM deliberately crashing the novels and going off-plan just to spite the HBO show. (In ten years.)

Most of the viewers wouldn't notice or care because reading is hard but watching TV pirating HBO is not.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

I always thought creamy lamprey pie was an innuendo.

:sbahj:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Most of the viewers wouldn't notice or care because reading is hard but watching TV pirating HBO is not.
Yeah, that's the problem, those drat viewers are just so lazy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You waste less time watching a TV show than reading a really lovely book series that's enormous.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You waste less time watching a TV show than reading a really lovely book series that's enormous.
But Martin's prose is so fine and so good!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

But Martin's prose is so fine and so good!

I hope that fat fuckass 'fine-ally' gets a triple heart attack. Booyakasha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hope that fat fuckass 'fine-ally' gets a triple heart attack. Booyakasha!
poo poo... this guy is on a rampage...

• Locked thread