Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

This is my point. Building elaborate motives for Ted Cruz where he perceived that Authoritarians exist and that he could trigger an RNCE and come out on top is way over complicated.

Why? Some people are that cunning, Newt Gingrich was. Strom Thurmond was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

twodot posted:

Intentionally triggering an RNCE when you can just wait a news cycle and publicly fight meaningless fights without rapid changes in hierarchy seems like really bad strategy.

Ted Cruz never cared about the outcome of the battle, he was just raising his on visibility/authoritarian Street Cred. He never had a plan to win, that was not what this was about.

Politico posted:

Ted Cruz faced a barrage of hostile questions Wednesday from angry GOP senators, who lashed the Texas tea party freshman for helping prompt a government shutdown crisis without a strategy to end it.
At a closed-door lunch meeting in the Senate’s Mansfield Room, Republican after Republican pressed Cruz to explain how he would propose to end the bitter budget impasse with Democrats, according to senators who attended the meeting. A defensive Cruz had no clear plan to force an end to the shutdown — or explain how he would defund Obamacare, as he has demanded all along, sources said.

“It was very evident to everyone in the room that Cruz doesn’t have a strategy – he never had a strategy, and could never answer a question about what the end-game was,” said one senator who attended the meeting. “I just wish the 35 House members that have bought the snake oil that was sold could witness what was witnessed today at lunch.”

Over the August recess, Cruz made the rounds with conservative media and held rallies to call on his GOP colleagues to oppose any bill to keep the government running that would also continue funding Obamacare. As he won support on the right and among several dozen House conservatives, Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) agreed to include the Obamacare defunding provision in a bill to keep the government running past Tuesday.

“He kept trying to change the subject because he never could answer the question,” the senator said. “It’s pretty evident it’s never been about a strategy – it’s been about him. That’s unfortunate. I think he’s done our country a major disservice. I think he’s done Republicans a major disservice.”
In the run-up to the Tuesday deadline to fund the government, Cruz continued to press the anti-Obamcare fight, lobbying House conservatives to stiffen Boehner’s spine despite the prospects of a government shutdown. The speaker responded with bill after bill taking aim at pieces of the health care law. But Senate Democrats rejected each one up until the final hours of Monday night, prompting the first government shutdown since 1996.

Many Senate Republicans publicly and privately scoffed at the Cruz tactics, arguing that he was making a false and politically damaging promise that he could use the funding bill to gut Obamacare — since the law moved forward anyway on Tuesday despite the government shutdown. They argued President Barack Obama would never agree to gut his signature law. And they took great exception by Cruz and his allies in outside groups like the Senate Conservatives Fund to portray them as weak on Obamcare even though the party has furiously battled the law since the beginning of the president’s term in office.
“The entire effort has been totally disingenuous,” the senator said.
A spokesman for SCF rejected the criticism.
“If these senators had pledged to oppose funding for Obamacare, we wouldn’t have had to run ads against them,” said Executive Director Matt Hoskins. “They only have themselves to blame.”

Edit: At one point early in the shutdown Cruz was meeting with House Leadership and torpedoed Boehner's plans. Cruz was running the Congress over Boehner's objections up until it was obvious the battle was fully joined, then he backed off and let the mess play out. He took advantage of the situation to seize control for himself just long enough to kick it in the right direction. He was hailed as a literal hero by the Authoritarian right for his actions.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 26, 2015

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

In what sense is this true? Do you think that Ted Cruz needs to trigger RNCEs or his base would turn on him? Also if Authoritarians are his base, then it seems like their influence is not disproportionate.

I think that Ted Cruz has to act like a reactionary shitlord (which includes grandstanding and whipping his base into a frenzy of hate and fear) or he would immediately be labeled a RINO and a sellout by his supporters and almost certainly lose his seat next time he's up for a primary. This holds whether he is an Authoritarian or a self-interested rear end in a top hat.

As for your second claim, you're deliberately misunderstanding things here. Ted Cruz and his ilk have a disproportionate influence because they're not willing to compromise and would rather sink the ship instead. This means that the so-called moderates of the GOP have to give them concessions, because they sure as hell are self-interested assholes and want to stay in power at all costs. Throwing assholes like Cruz a bone is the price they have to pay for keeping the GOP together.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mukip posted:

This was a very interesting read. The discussion of inner and grand narratives reminded me of a BBC article I read about Russian nationalists recently (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30518054), where I was surprised at the really out-there goals that the Russian fighters had in mind (more clearly described in this article: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/opinion/article/us-against-them-russias-frightening-new-cult/517830.html). That last article suggests that the Russian state has concocted a cult ideology, but PJ's description of the psychology of Authoritarians who seem to need this sort of "grand narrative" and construct it themslelves might be a better or complimentary explanation. I wonder who's really behind the steering wheel of Russian nationalism, since you have Putin saying that Crimea was a "holy war" which sounded really odd at the time, but makes much more sense if he's appealing to the grand narrative of Russian nationalists.
This was on the bottom of the last page, and it's a fascinating link into why this applies to more than just America/the American right. To tie it in with what we're talking about right now, Putin got a nice big knock-down, drag-out confrontation with (Eastern) Ukraine (and by proxy the "West") that the various Russian Authoritarians (and probably Putin himself) wanted, but he did it in such a way that he didn't start a complete full-on uncontrollable war that could end in a decisive loss for Russia.

It's kinda bogged down at this point, but at the end of it Crimea and who knows how much of Eastern Ukraine will not be returned to Ukrainian control in the foreseeable future, so you could chalk that up as a "victory" for Russia against Ukraine (and by proxy the "West").

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Prester John posted:

Ted Cruz never cared about the outcome of the battle, he was just raising his on visibility/authoritarian Street Cred. He never had a plan to win, that was not what this was about.
I agree that he wasn't trying to win, but why would he think he would be one of the factions that comes out on top. Your explanation of an RNCE explicitly include multiple stages where Street Cred is shuffled apparently at random. If I thought Authoritarians were worth courting, I can think of much less dangerous ways to do it.

quote:

He was hailed as a literal hero by the Authoritarian right for his actions.
Here's the problem again. There is definitely a group of people that hailed him as a hero. How do we know those people are Authoritarians?

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think that Ted Cruz has to act like a reactionary shitlord (which includes grandstanding and whipping his base into a frenzy of hate and fear) or he would immediately be labeled a RINO and a sellout by his supporters and almost certainly lose his seat next time he's up for a primary. This holds whether he is an Authoritarian or a self-interested rear end in a top hat.
Agreed.

quote:

As for your second claim, you're deliberately misunderstanding things here. Ted Cruz and his ilk have a disproportionate influence because they're not willing to compromise and would rather sink the ship instead. This means that the so-called moderates of the GOP have to give them concessions, because they sure as hell are self-interested assholes and want to stay in power at all costs. Throwing assholes like Cruz a bone is the price they have to pay for keeping the GOP together.
Ok, Ted Cruz has disproportionate control of the GOP, that's tenable, but unless we establish Ted Cruz is an Authoritarian this seems to create problems with the "Authoritarians have disproportionate control" thing.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Found waht I was looking for. Pretend the whole thing is bolded.

quote:

The Republican Party right now most closely resembles a Weatherman gathering from about 1969, with various factions debating the feasibility of immediate communist revolution versus building a working-class movement as a prelude to smashing the state. As such, distinguishing the various gradients of ideological fanaticism has become an increasingly abstruse task.

The agenda has largely been driven by the “Defund Obamacare” faction, led by Ted Cruz, which proposes to shut down the federal government until such time as President Obama agrees to abolish his health-care plan, which would of course be never. That faction has failed in the Senate, which voted today to keep the government open without demanding the defunding of Obamacare. (Twenty-three Republican senators joined all of the Democrats.)

The question becomes, what will the House do? The House Republican leadership, which is more pragmatic, has tried to dissuade its members from shutting down the government by promising instead to wage a struggle to the death over the debt ceiling. As is sometimes the case in factional battles among extremist sects, the “moderate” faction has wound up endorsing the more radical position. In this case, a debt-ceiling fight could potentially wreak massive worldwide economic havoc, as opposed to the containable disruption of a government shutdown. The leadership dutifully proposed a plan that would tie a debt-ceiling hike in return for President Obama killing his health-care bill and implementing the entire GOP economic agenda.

But a cadre of radical House Republicans voted that plan down. Robert Costa reports that they were inspired to do so by none other than Cruz himself:

According to one House member, the bicameral bloc talked deep into the night about the CR and how to pressure Boehner. At the top of the agenda: making a one-year delay of Obamacare a requirement for government funding, and to accept nothing less, should the defunding effort continue to unravel. There is fear the Boehner is resistant to making that demand as part of a CR, and conservatives discussed ways to force his hand.
Now, the Cruz House bloc can’t exactly force Boehner’s hand here. They can simply force him to pass a bill to keep the government open with Democratic votes. That, of course, would be another win for Cruz — conservatives would be furious at Boehner’s betrayal and looking to potentially depose him:

Either way, Boehner's fate will rest in the hands of a freshman senator from Texas. He must love that.

Keep in mind that all of this would happen before the House has to vote to lift the debt ceiling. President Obama again reiterated his determination not to negotiate over the debt limit, and if he holds to that, Boehner will be forced either to trigger a global economic meltdown or to marginalize his Cruz wing yet again. So, two dramas will concurrently unfold while Boehner is struggling to maintain some semblance of control in the House and fighting to stave off the Cruz wing from mounting an outright coup.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

twodot posted:

This is my point. Building elaborate motives for Ted Cruz where he perceived that Authoritarians exist and that he could trigger an RNCE and come out on top is way over complicated.

All Ted Cruz had to do was perceive that the faction of his base that he is trying to appeal to was spoiling for a fight, any fight at all, and try to push things in that direction and get lucky. Anyone who read the freep thread back then could have told you that the extremest arm of the republican party was spoiling for a fight and that they would not really care all that much if they lost. Seeing that is not some amazing feat, it's pretty drat easy.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

twodot posted:

I agree that he wasn't trying to win, but why would he think he would be one of the factions that comes out on top. Your explanation of an RNCE explicitly include multiple stages where Street Cred is shuffled apparently at random. If I thought Authoritarians were worth courting, I can think of much less dangerous ways to do it.

He came out on top just by the fight existing. that is all there was too it. He gave the Authoritarians their fight, he spent months campaigning behind the scenes to bring enough ire to the fore which he then threw gasoline on with his 21 hour speech. There was no "faction" that he wanted to come out on top, Ted Cruz just wanted to establish that he was a fighter who would give Authoritarians the big meaningless clashes they yearn for. That is all there was to this. He won simply by the shutdown occurring, and he has ridden the success of that action thus far.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

All Ted Cruz had to do was perceive that the faction of his base that he is trying to appeal to was spoiling for a fight, any fight at all, and try to push things in that direction and get lucky. Anyone who read the freep thread back then could have told you that the extremest arm of the republican party was spoiling for a fight and that they would not really care all that much if they lost. Seeing that is not some amazing feat, it's pretty drat easy.
Correct, Ted Cruz does not have to perceive that Authoritarians exist and that RNCE is a thing, and that Authoritarians will be motivated by creating an RNCE. There is a much simpler and better explanation for his actions than that. I would wager it appealed to much greater than the <10% of population Authoritarians supposedly are.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Prester John posted:

There are a few others I would like to add to the list but I am finding it hard to explain them just yet, but I think this might help narrow things down a bit. Tell me what you guys think.

I think it's great. Thanks for suggesting such an interesting framework with which to consider fringe political groups.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

twodot posted:

Correct, Ted Cruz does not have to perceive that Authoritarians exist and that RNCE is a thing, and that Authoritarians will be motivated by creating an RNCE. There is a much simpler and better explanation for his actions than that. I would wager it appealed to much greater than the <10% of population Authoritarians supposedly are.

Exactly. Ted Cruz isn't going to be using my own internal language to describe these things, and I am hardly the only one who could figure these things out. Cruz simply understood what he needed to do and did it. Remember that up until right before the shutdown GOP leadership was insisting that there would be no shutdown, and only by causing the massive emotional outpouring from various Authoritarian groups in the face of a threat to the tribe (the prelude of an RNCE) was Cruz able to force the shutdown. He spent months working on this but clearly had no plan to win the fight, because he knew it was unwinnable. His endgame was just to be the guy who caused the fight. He controlled the "Suicide Caucus" (as it was then called) in the House in the runup to the shutdown to make sure his plans went through. It was a risky gambit, but it paid off and Cruz is more convinced of his Godhood than ever.

I am arguing here that Ted Cruz understands how to manipulate Authoritarians and is relying on them for his own political ambitions. He has never cared what anyone but the Authoritarians thought because he knows how to whip them into a frothing rage that will drag the rest of the GOP along, and the 2013 shutdown is clear evidence of this.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

Ok, Ted Cruz has disproportionate control of the GOP, that's tenable, but unless we establish Ted Cruz is an Authoritarian this seems to create problems with the "Authoritarians have disproportionate control" thing.

Not really, since Ted Cruz is in turn controlled by his base. As you agreed to, he has to act the way he does.

This means that if his base is made up of Authoritarians and they in turn send people like Cruz to Congress and people like Cruz drag the moderates towards the positions that they have to champion, the Authoritarians do wield disproportionate power. This actually holds up really well if we accept the premises of PJ:s argument.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Not really, since Ted Cruz is in turn controlled by his base. As you agreed to, he has to act the way he does.

This means that if his base is made up of Authoritarians and they in turn send people like Cruz to Congress and people like Cruz drag the moderates towards the positions that they have to champion, the Authoritarians do wield disproportionate power. This actually holds up really well if we accept the premises of PJ:s argument.
To get to here, we need to decide that his base is made up of Authoritarians, when we've explicitly said that Authoritarians are uncommon. This rhetoric is making it really obvious that "Authoritarian" is a stand in for "Republican".

Prester John posted:

I am arguing here that Ted Cruz understands how to manipulate Authoritarians and is relying on them for his own political ambitions. He has never cared what anyone but the Authoritarians thought because he knows how to whip them into a frothing rage that will drag the rest of the GOP along, and the 2013 shutdown is clear evidence of this.
This just doesn't make sense. Why rely <10% of the population? Lots of people like it when their guy makes a big show, it's way more likely that he is targeting a much larger group. (edit: I personally donated to Sanders when he took on a fight everyone knew he couldn't win)

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I think the defining contrast between Authoritarian values and non-Authoritarian values is how they look at choice. Once an Authoritarian decides on something (by applying the Rules from his Inner Narrative), then that choice is the only permissible one for everybody else as well. This makes it very easy to have morality and legality overlap perfectly. Ultimately, the backstop behind the Authoritarian mindset is that the Rules are absolute, so all of the choices are made by the one who sets the Rules, not the ones who have to live under them. The Outer Narrative is that there needs to be a heirarchy that's followed in setting and enforcing the rules, but this heirarchy always reserves the rule-making for the in-group. Any Rule with room for meaningful choice by the out-group is a bad Rule that needs to have the loopholes removed, because no good faith execution of any Rule can ever have a different result than the Authoritarian's. Part of the Outer Narrative is that there is choice, but only trivial ones are permitted (like which brand of American car you buy).

Non-Authoritarians are comfortable with different people choosing different things. Maybe they feel very strongly that some choices are wrong, but they don't think that (all) wrong choices should be forbidden. It's not really about black and white versus shades of grey, it's about whether somebody else's point of view can even be legitimate in the first place.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

To get to here, we need to decide that his base is made up of Authoritarians, when we've explicitly said that Authoritarians are uncommon. This rhetoric is making it really obvious that "Authoritarian" is a stand in for "Republican".

Now you're arguing a different point altogether. We were discussing whether the behaviour of Cruz is consistent with PJ:s theory or not. Whether Cruz's base is properly categorized as Authoritarians or not is a different question altogether.

Also everybody here has been saying that Cruz et al have been dragging the more moderate Republicans towards their positions, which is kinda impossible to do if the terms "Authoritarian" and "Republican" are interchangeable. So if you would stop making dumb poo poo up it'd be nice.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Now you're arguing a different point altogether. We were discussing whether the behaviour of Cruz is consistent with PJ:s theory or not. Whether Cruz's base is properly categorized as Authoritarians or not is a different question altogether.

Also everybody here has been saying that Cruz et al have been dragging the more moderate Republicans towards their positions, which is kinda impossible to do if the terms "Authoritarian" and "Republican" are interchangeable. So if you would stop making dumb poo poo up it'd be nice.
I mean is Cruz's behavior consistent with all this? Probably, at least the stuff that hits the media, I would think. I do think that the explanation of RNCE is broken since it apparently involves factions shuffling in power in a way that doesn't actually matter to anything. Do we need Authoritarian theory to explain Cruz's behavior? Definitely not. (edit: Alternatively, if we do need Authoritarian theory to describe Cruz's behavior, they are clearly more common than Prester John is claiming)

Fair point, I guess it's more of a stand in for "Worse Than Average Republican".

twodot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 27, 2015

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Prester John posted:

"Vote for me and I will give you the chance to hurt those people you hate".

Have you read anything by Mark Ames? He describes this exact sentiment here where he discusses "the Spitefuls." It's a from a while back - it's a narrative about George W. Bush's reelection - but he's clearly discussing Authoritarians, and trying to explain it from a perspective centered on socioeconomic class.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

twodot posted:

Fair point, I guess it's more of a stand in for "Worse Than Average Republican".

Only within the Context of the past 20 years or so. Prior to that the Authoritarian portion of the party was much less influential. However, as a result of 5 decades of poo poo like A.C.E.(And ABEKA, and many other smaller ones) the Authoritarians ahve integrated themselves into the parties infrastructure. I'm being very serious here. A.C.E. is designed as a feeder program for places like Bob Jones and Liberty; who in turn are designed to breed administration and government members. A.C.E. bases its entire premise on the idea that the "Leaders of tomorrow" are going to be office workers. Think about that for a moment and then reflect on the insane Hard Right positions A.C.E. curriculum is riddled with. A.C.E. was released in 1970, they have been breeding obedient office drones as a loving political weapon for almost 5 decades. The "W" Admin hired a shitload of those people and sprinkled them loving everywhere. They are all over the party apparatus from the local level up. The Authoritarians came in the back door and have been seizing control of the party for decades, and now it is really starting to show.

The GOP with its abhorrent cynical poo poo like the Southern Strategy has created a monster it cannot control. They wanted a reliable bloc of voters and political activists; but by bringing Authoritarians into the party, hurling money at them and saying "Go Nuts", then hiring the people raised in the loving hellholes I was, en mass, they have created a parasite that will strangle them to death. They have tapped into a really loving dark area of the human psyche by putting millions of Americans like me through what is essentially trauma based mind control. They do not understand what they have done to themselves. I am really grateful that you have no experience with such people or what they can do, but I have spent my entire life staring deep into that abyss.

Watch this video with what I have been describing in mind. You can literally hear the Outer Narrative explained as a cynical lie to hide the Inner Narrative. And this was in 1982, talking about what had been going on since the 60's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8E3ENrKrQ

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
While I agree with a lot of posters that I think you're formulating something useful here, I also think you're slipping back into some of the very behavior you're describing and if you're currently seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist you might want to consider showing them this thread.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ton Perkins posted:

I think. . . your point about Christians rising up, I think we are getting close to that in this country as we see increasingly this growing hostility at the hands of our own government toward Christianity and I think especially if the court imposes upon the nation a redefinition of marriage.

I don’t think the nation is going to accept it, I absolutely don’t, and the conflict that is going to come as a result of it.

Two years ago these people nearly crashed the world economy over giving healthcare to the poor. Last year they had a literal armed insurrection over cattle. The people I am describing. *ARE NOT* loving around right now.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

reignonyourparade posted:

While I agree with a lot of posters that I think you're formulating something useful here, I also think you're slipping back into some of the very behavior you're describing and if you're currently seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist you might want to consider showing them this thread.

That's absolute horseshit. Just because you don't know the depths of conspiracy within this movement doesn't mean it isn't real, or that it's useful to accuse posters of mental instability because they were open enough to make a disclosure about themselves.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Agree to Disagree

quote:

"Sin is so appealing because it's easy and because it's fun," the law student warned.

Regent University School of Law, founded by televangelist Pat Robertson to provide "Christian leadership to change the world," has worked hard in its two-decade history to upgrade its reputation, fighting past years when a majority of its graduates couldn't pass the bar exam and leading up to recent victories over Ivy League teams in national law student competitions.

But even in its darker days, Regent has had no better friend than the Bush administration. Graduates of the law school have been among the most influential of the more than 150 Regent University alumni hired to federal government positions since President Bush took office in 2001, according to a university website.

One of those graduates is Monica Goodling , the former top aide to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales who is at the center of the storm over the firing of US attorneys. Goodling, who resigned on Friday, has become the face of Regent overnight -- and drawn a harsh spotlight to the administration's hiring of officials educated at smaller, conservative schools with sometimes marginal academic reputations.

And across the political blogosphere, critics have held up Goodling, who declined to be interviewed, as a prime example of the Bush administration subordinating ability to politics in hiring decisions.

"It used to be that high-level DOJ jobs were generally reserved for the best of the legal profession," wrote a contributor to The New Republic website . ". . . That a recent graduate of one of the very worst (and sketchiest) law schools with virtually no relevant experience could ascend to this position is a sure sign that there is something seriously wrong at the DOJ."

The Regent law school was founded in 1986, when Oral Roberts University shut down its ailing law school and sent its library to Robertson's Bible-based college in Virginia. It was initially called "CBN University School of Law" after the televangelist's Christian Broadcasting Network, whose studios share the campus and which provided much of the funding for the law school. (The Coors Foundation is also a donor to the university.) The American Bar Association accredited Regent 's law school in 1996.

Not long ago, it was rare for Regent graduates to join the federal government. But in 2001, the Bush administration picked the dean of Regent's government school, Kay Coles James , to be the director of the Office of Personnel Management -- essentially the head of human resources for the executive branch. The doors of opportunity for government jobs were thrown open to Regent alumni.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Mercifully, it seems that the Accelerated Christian Education thread has not yet been offered to the archives. Prester, perhaps you could also include some selections from that thread on your blog as it pertains to this discussion?

The factor of the A.C.E. is a curious one, as was McAlister's strict-father/nurturing-parent comparison a few pages back. While I can see how the presence of such social structures and institutions may influence or favour particular outcomes, surely it doesn't always work as intended. What exactly would be the nature versus nurture angle on this?

If the kind of authoritarianism we are describing is fundamentally a personality complex, then it cannot actually apply to everyone within the current authoritarian system. So what happens to those God decrees to not have the particular gears in their brains? If they are not a natural fit to the system, how many of them adapt to it versus how many of them look for the first out? (Sometimes at great cost...?)

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Prester John posted:

Edit: I have the first 4 posts of this thread now converted over to my blog, which you can check out here. Thank you all for your interest in this topic and the desire to spread my ideas around, you all know how to flatter a girl.
Thanks, going to share the link around a bit.

Series DD Funding posted:

I watched Century of the Self and couldn't take it seriously. He talked about psychoanalysis as if there was any science behind it at all.
Okay, I've seen this in multiple (unrelated) threads today. Is this your gimmick? Because it's a weird one, and not a very good hook.

twodot posted:

:words:
You do understand that, if you're this desperate for attention, you can just make your own thread? Like, you get that exists as an option? I know it's more work than you're used to, but people would totally pay attention to you, honest.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Interesting perspective. I have a couple questions trying to understand some things a bit better.

To start, everyone has beliefs about the world, but the distinguishing characteristic of a "Grand Narrative" seems to be that this involves Good versus Evil. With capital letters. Not merely good guys and bad guys, but more extreme.

Then, everyone has beliefs about themselves, a self-identity that serves emotional needs, but the distinguishing characteristic of an "Inner Narrative" is maybe that they have a delusional idea of themselves that only makes sense in light of their "Grand Narrative"?

And then, the "Outer Narrative" are essentially inconsequential tools, and do not really reflect their own true beliefs (except that they cannot be inconsistent with their other narratives.)

So, one phenomenon I have noticed is what I call "lying for jesus", because that's where I originally took notice of this pattern. This is where, to pick a non-religious example, a white dude jumps into a discussion online with "I'm black, and I don't think that's racist..." They believe their true goal is good, important, and so unquestionably true that it doesn't matter if they "trick" people into believing it with lies. It's totally justified in their minds. I'm curious what your thoughts are on this. Is it just the "Outer Narrative" rearing its head? I'm inclined to say this is a normal human behavior (sadly), but maybe the "Outer Narrative" is some sort of exaggerated version of it?

Finally, so far what I've described as my interpretation is quite consistent with tumblr-idiots (I refuse to use the S-acronym.) But... one distinguishing characteristic I can think of between these two groups (tumblrites and right-wing reactionary types) is how they react to authority figures. Tumblr is quick to demonize Anita Sarkeesian because she used the word prostitute once and therefore hates sex workers UGH. Right-wingers will tell you it's a historical FACT that SAINT REAGAN never raised taxes, that's a dumbocrat lie!

I'm curious if I've missed something from your description of "Authoritarians" that would explain this behavioral difference between these two groups, or what your perspective on this is?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is a comic that appears in an A.C.E workbook.

Bro. Roloff ran Rebekah Home for Girls, a house for abandoned/Orphan/Runaway/Troubled girls. Rebekah Home for Girl's used A.C.E., and Bro. roloff was very active in promoting A.C.E.

Here is a brief sermon from Bro. Roloff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_flemNafqRE

Mother Jones Article about these sorts of homes.

quote:

NEW BEGINNINGS IS EMBLEMATIC of an unknown number of "troubled teen" homes catering to the Independent Fundamental Baptist community—a web of thousands of autonomous churches linked by doctrine, overlapping leadership, and affiliations with Bible colleges like Bob Jones University. IFB churches emphasize strict obedience and consider teen rebellion an invention of worldly society, so it's little surprise that families faced with teenage drinking, smoking, or truancy might turn to programs promising a tough-love fix. Fear of government intrusion—particularly on account of the community's "spare the rod, spoil the child" worldview—is so pervasive that IFB congregations are primed to dismiss regulatory actions against abusive facilities as religious persecution.

TKTKTK
The entrance to New Bethany's Louisiana compound. [MORE: See photos of life at New Bethany.]
New Beginnings and numerous other Christian reform schools trace their lineages to Texas radio evangelist Lester Roloff, who founded the Rebekah Home for Girls in Corpus Christi back in 1967, employing disciplinary tactics that were adopted by dozens of imitators. He also pioneered girls' singing groups as a way to promote Rebekah Home—the "Honeybee Quartet" was featured in his daily revivalist radio broadcasts. But back at the hive, Roloff's wards were often subjected to days in locked isolation rooms where his sermons played in an endless loop. They also endured exhaustive corporal punishment. "Better a pink bottom than a black soul," Roloff famously declared at a 1973 court hearing after he was prosecuted by the state of Texas on behalf of 16 Rebekah girls. (The attorney general responded that he was more concerned with bottoms "that were blue, black, and bloody.") Later that year, a former student testified that a whipping at Rebekah Home left inch-high welts on her body.

Wanna guess why these homes remained open? Because George W Bush personally intervened to keep them open.

quote:

AT THE HEART OF LESTER ROLOFF’S BATTLE with the state of texas were his homes for troubled teenagers: reformatories where “parent-hating, Satan-worshiping, dope-taking immoral boys and girls,” as Roloff described his charges, were turned into “faithful servants of the Lord.” Roloff’s method of Bible discipline, which he said was rooted in Scripture, meant kneeling for hours on hardwood floors, licks meted out with a pine paddle or a leather strap, and the dreaded “lockup,” an isolation room where Roloff’s sermons were played for days on end. The state spent much of the seventies and early eighties fighting Roloff in court, insisting that he obtain a license for his youth homes and submit to state oversight. The preacher countered that he answered to a higher power and that his homes were licensed by God. Not until 1985 did the state prevail, forcing the Rebekah Home to shut its doors. At the time, no one anticipated that the political capital of faith-based social programs would rise dramatically in the next decade, or that Roloff’s beliefs, which were far afield of the religious mainstream, would gain a new foothold. But in 1997 then-governor George W. Bush put forth a legislative package that included precisely what Roloff had long fought for: allowing church-run child-care institutions to opt out of state licensing. By 1999 the Rebekah Home was back in business—and the stories of DeAnne Dawsey’s troubled adolescence, Lester Roloff’s crusade, and George W. Bush’s political career would converge.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 27, 2015

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

crazypenguin posted:

Finally, so far what I've described as my interpretation is quite consistent with tumblr-idiots (I refuse to use the S-acronym.) But... one distinguishing characteristic I can think of between these two groups (tumblrites and right-wing reactionary types) is how they react to authority figures. Tumblr is quick to demonize Anita Sarkeesian because she used the word prostitute once and therefore hates sex workers UGH. Right-wingers will tell you it's a historical FACT that SAINT REAGAN never raised taxes, that's a dumbocrat lie!

I can think of another distinguishing characteristic between anti-gay theocratic authoritarians and teenagers on tumblr. One group holds office and passes laws that harm the quality of life and strip rights away from millions of people.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Morroque posted:

If the kind of authoritarianism we are describing is fundamentally a personality complex, then it cannot actually apply to everyone within the current authoritarian system. So what happens to those God decrees to not have the particular gears in their brains?

Either they learn to hide it like I did, or they go insane, or they wind up in miserable poverty/prison. or sometimes they take the only out they feel they have.

A Beautiful Young Woman posted:

If you are reading this, it means that I have committed suicide and obviously failed to delete this post from my queue.

Please don’t be sad, it’s for the better. The life I would’ve lived isn’t worth living in … because I’m transgender. I could go into detail explaining why I feel that way, but this note is probably going to be lengthy enough as it is. To put it simply, I feel like a girl trapped in a boy’s body, and I’ve felt that way ever since I was 4. I never knew there was a word for that feeling, nor was it possible for a boy to become a girl, so I never told anyone and I just continued to do traditionally “boyish” things to try to fit in.

When I was 14, I learned what transgender meant and cried of happiness. After 10 years of confusion I finally understood who I was. I immediately told my mom, and she reacted extremely negatively, telling me that it was a phase, that I would never truly be a girl, that God doesn’t make mistakes, that I am wrong. If you are reading this, parents, please don’t tell this to your kids. Even if you are Christian or are against transgender people don’t ever say that to someone, especially your kid. That won’t do anything but make them hate them self. That’s exactly what it did to me.

My mom started taking me to a therapist, but would only take me to Christian therapists, (who were all very biased) so I never actually got the therapy I needed to cure me of my depression. I only got more Christians telling me that I was selfish and wrong and that I should look to God for help.

When I was 16 I realized that my parents would never come around, and that I would have to wait until I was 18 to start any sort of transitioning treatment, which absolutely broke my heart. The longer you wait, the harder it is to transition. I felt hopeless, that I was just going to look like a man in drag for the rest of my life. On my 16th birthday, when I didn’t receive consent from my parents to start transitioning, I cried myself to sleep.

I formed a sort of a “gently caress you” attitude towards my parents and came out as gay at school, thinking that maybe if I eased into coming out as trans it would be less of a shock. Although the reaction from my friends was positive, my parents were pissed. They felt like I was attacking their image, and that I was an embarrassment to them. They wanted me to be their perfect little straight Christian boy, and that’s obviously not what I wanted.

So they took me out of public school, took away my laptop and phone, and forbid me of getting on any sort of social media, completely isolating me from my friends. This was probably the part of my life when I was the most depressed, and I’m surprised I didn’t kill myself. I was completely alone for 5 months. No friends, no support, no love. Just my parent’s disappointment and the cruelty of loneliness.

At the end of the school year, my parents finally came around and gave me my phone and let me back on social media. I was excited, I finally had my friends back. They were extremely excited to see me and talk to me, but only at first. Eventually they realized they didn’t actually give a poo poo about me, and I felt even lonelier than I did before. The only friends I thought I had only liked me because they saw me five times a week.

After a summer of having almost no friends plus the weight of having to think about college, save money for moving out, keep my grades up, go to church each week and feel like poo poo because everyone there is against everything I live for, I have decided I’ve had enough. I’m never going to transition successfully, even when I move out. I’m never going to be happy with the way I look or sound. I’m never going to have enough friends to satisfy me. I’m never going to have enough love to satisfy me. I’m never going to find a man who loves me. I’m never going to be happy. Either I live the rest of my life as a lonely man who wishes he were a woman or I live my life as a lonelier woman who hates herself. There’s no winning. There’s no way out. I’m sad enough already, I don’t need my life to get any worse. People say “it gets better” but that isn’t true in my case. It gets worse. Each day I get worse.

That’s the gist of it, that’s why I feel like killing myself. Sorry if that’s not a good enough reason for you, it’s good enough for me. As for my will, I want 100% of the things that I legally own to be sold and the money (plus my money in the bank) to be given to trans civil rights movements and support groups, I don’t give a poo poo which one. The only way I will rest in peace is if one day transgender people aren’t treated the way I was, they’re treated like humans, with valid feelings and human rights. Gender needs to be taught about in schools, the earlier the better. My death needs to mean something. My death needs to be counted in the number of transgender people who commit suicide this year. I want someone to look at that number and say “that’s hosed up” and fix it. Fix society. Please.

Goodbye,
(Leelah) Josh Alcorn

She was from rural Ohio, just like me.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 27, 2015

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Hey Prester John, et. al. Just a short thought - I've been reading this thread since its inception in the marriage equality thread, and have personally begun to substitute "cultism" for "authoritarianism" in my own head, just to make it work for me. To me it works for the followers of Mao, Hitler, Charles Manson, CLDS (Mormons), boko haram, Osho Rajneesh. and, yes, even fundamental evangelical christians and their splinterized factions all seeking The Truth (who are, in the US, the basis of the majority of the discussion herein).

While "cult" often has a definition involving small groups like the branch davidians or the Manson Clan, in the US at least it is often also used to describe behavior ("cultish") and can be used to describe even large groups, like the above mentioned fundamental evangelical christians and their splinterized factions all seeking The Truth.

Also those jumping on twodot and others for asking some questions might welcome those questions while Prester John's hypothesis evolves. While I know concern trolling is a thing, valid questions can be sorted from the chaff, and a lack of questioning/discussion = Yet Another Cult (YAC) ITT.

Or shall questions lead to The Great Splintering of The Thread as was forsoothed by its Profit?

Anyway, great thoughts in the posts so far.

Keep it up, and keep bringing it up in the real world (is FaceBook real?). Whatever and whenever and everything that is happening with the christian cults and their current grabs for power should be brought to the attention of those people who don't know and those who think they don't care.

Amen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Theology

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You know, cultism isn't bad, Objectivists, ufologists, scientologists, etc. do seem pretty culitsh and while it definitely has negative connotations, it doesn't necessarily have a political slant.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The modern political context is going to be difficult because a lot of people have a lot invested in it. Also, rightwing vs. leftwing.

That said, I find PJ's understanding compelling not only because it explains an element of the contemporary American rightwing but also because his "Authoritarian" also works when examining Bolshevism and the International Communist movement from the Russian Revolution up until the German started Operation Barbarossa.

You can even see the same sort of inner/out narrative shift that PJ is talking talking about if you look at American Communist publications. First, it was "We must support the Spanish Revolution!" then, a subtle but important shift, "We must support Russia to ensure the success of the Spanish Revolution!". Then the whole theater started heating up and it was, "The current conflict is entirely a European affair, we should not come to the aid of Bohemia->Poland->France->England!" Then Operation Barbarossa happened and it was, "Counterrevolution is on the march, we absolutely have to stop the fascists from destroying the people's hope!"

To the modern eye, those obviously contradictory "Outer Narratives" make American Communists look like a giant loving joke. They also got called on it a bunch at the time and it made them look like a giant loving joke. But from what PJ calls an "Inner Narrative" it is entirely consistent. "Support Russia". Why "Support Russia"? Because the downtrodden literally rose up and killed the everloving poo poo out of the people who were oppressing them.

This is also where PJ's analysis works, since there really isn't a "what next?" What happens when Authoritarians win, well, de-kulakization as a softball and Stalinist purges as a hardball. They need an enemy, so they find them, create them, and kill the poo poo out of them.

Since there is no real vision of the future, what happens next is unpleasant.

We can also apply it to China. Red Guards were hardcore authoritarians. My boy Zhou Enlai tried to minimize the damage. Red Guard and Gang of Four (5) kept loving poo poo up, finding new enemies and destroying everything they could find. I'm not a huge fan of Deng, but his rise represented a loss of power of the Authoritarian element of the CCP, even if the CCP remains an authoritarian regime. Also something important to consider.

Speaking of, let's talk about Lee Kuan Yew, taken from the world too soon. He's someone like Ataturk (Along with Zhou, they are all great heroes of mine) where they are absolutely small-a authoritarians but not big-A Authoritarians. Especially Ataturk, we are talking about a dictator who not only introduced a Parliamentary system but then after the first election created a political party consisting of roughly half the delegates, which in a sort of conscious taijitu moment, also created an opposition party.

I'm rambling. The important thing is that we can apply these principles to the crazy spiral of insanity that happened in Russia and China (both leftwing) as well as the contemporary American Republican Party (right wing). We could also talk about poo poo like the SA with the Nazis and the Night of the Long Knives.

It is not a solved problem but PJ's conception of the Authoritarian Psyche can be applied to some very different but all totally terrible things. Especially the snowball analogy (which also happened, often quite violently, with the historical examples I've used).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Cultism isn't bad, but I think there's a more precise name for "big-A Authoritarians" yet to be found. I've considered "Movementarians", by way of The Simpsons, but that's more a pop-culture reference than a real etymologically-sound neologism.

Alternately, we could go back to the Latin "Auctor" for "Auctoritarian". It sounds properly "primal", doesn't it, with the hard-C/K sound.

That's my submission. Auctoritarians

also "auctoritarian" has less than 3 pages of google results, which means it's practically unheard of as a word. Another point in its favor.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 27, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Why the eff is so much of this thread arguing about the use of a single word and not engaging with the content?

Effectronica posted:

Personally, just for saying "formal theory in the testing stage", I feel that you should be locked into a room with twodot and the two of you jaw each other to death.

Stop making these kinds of posts...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Why the eff is so much of this thread arguing about the use of a single word and not engaging with the content?

Because it's pretty much the lowest-effort way to shitpost in a subforum where fishmech fits in well.

PJ, how do we apply your ideas to create predictions about how Authoritarians will react? Does your theory have predictive power?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

What this idea currently does well: describe a politically neutral behavioral pattern that is largely off-limits to empirical, scientific investigation for various practical and ethical reasons, based on the relatively unique perspective and experience of PJ. This is interesting. If you were a behavioral scientist, you would be interested in this opportunity for what it is, so there's no need to obstruct debate with a bunch of philosophy of science. It's not a productive critique at this point, because it's implicit in the idea being a 'hunch' rather than a theory or hypothesis. Please stop and try to explore PJ's perspective for what it is instead of getting lost in irrelevant technicalities.

What this idea currently does poorly: map onto named people and groups. Every time someone other than PJ starts talking about how map on to someone or some organization they are basically only familiar with through media, my eyes roll over into the back of my head. Most likely, that's just confirmation bias talking. It's still useful for PJ to do so to clarify her ideas, but really not for anyone else, because the ideas are not yet fully defined or articulated. You are the Yang to twodot's Yin.

Prester John posted:

The two primary attributes of an RNCE is 1.) Authoritarian groups that are nominally opposed or distrustful of each other agreeing on a plan of action for perceived mutual defense, and 2.) a clear way to have a dramatic showdown over the issue. In the case of Cliven Bundy there was a literal hill to die upon. In the case of the 2013 shutdown the hill was metaphorical, but there was a way to force a dramatic standoff, and they took it. With Gay Marraige Fundies would loving lvoe to have an RNCE over this, but there is no clear cut way to grind the SCOTUS to a halt short of blowing up the building, (and they are not that extreme at the moment) so there can be no RNCE.

Big Dramatic standoffs with clearly defined sides and a Good vs Evil Narrative are how Authoritarians want every fight. An RNCE occurs only when there is a way to get their big dramatic fight. Absent that, regular Narrative Convergence continues apace until a "hill to die upon" appears.

I think this touches on what I meant, but it doesn't completely answer it. Let me try to be clearer: obviously, a literal hill to die on is an advantage when it comes to hill detection, but I imagine that most of the times there isn't, therefore Authoritarians must have a way to determine when there is a metaphorical hill. Yes? (I think it's more interesting to talk about how you see Authoritarians' perspective on the world than how to identify Authoritarians.)

Your answer here seems to imply that Authoritarians have both some awareness of ("gay marriages fundies would love to have an RNCE ...") and at least limited strategic control over ("there is no clear cut way to grind the SCOTUS to a halt ...") these dynamics, and that they act on a viable RNCE opportunity by a kind of pattern matching process with their broader Narrative Convergence and strategic interests/opportunities, so that the bus mostly drives itself at that point. But where do potential "hills to die upon" come from in the first place, or come about in Authoritarians' minds? Is it a random external process from their perspective, or do they actively work to facilitate RNCEs, or some mix (how?) of those? How do they know when there is a Big Dramatic standoff with an appropriate narrative?

Exclamation Marx posted:

I'm just going to try to actually answer this, even though I probably shouldn't: the ideas here developed out of Altemeyer's theory of right-wing authoritarianism, which has been criticized in the psychological literature for essentially covering "conservatism" and choosing a new term with negative connotations. I think this is pretty consistent with how it gets used. It is not really unimportant to discuss terminology at this stage of an idea—boring, maybe, not unimportant—but we've already covered that: the term has problems and should probably be changed eventually, but since PJ has acknowledged this, and since for the purpose of the thread it's too late, we're going to continue using Authoritarian. I'm not saying we should keep discussing it (we should not), just deal with it in other ways than by telling people to eat poo poo and die for bringing up an obvious issue.

Oh no, now that you mention it, a lot of posters here are slipping into and out of the general behaviors described. Everyone, print the thread and show it to your therapist lest we ourselves become Authoritarians!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I really think you should have attempted a definition of the term "authoritarian" in terms of philosophy of liberty and freedom before attempting to discuss why authoritarians think specific ways.

I'm confused when you suggest that anti-vaxxers and homeopaths are authoritarian, as, to my knowledge, they don't suggest that their ways should be the law of the land. In fact, their views seem to trend towards the more libertarian and the mainstream view (that not-vaccinating should be illegal for the sake of public health) trends towards the more authoritarian, by a definition of the word "libertarian" meaning "to allow as much personal freedom as possible, possibly at the detriment of others" and a definition of the word "authoritarian" meaning "to enforce behavioral requirements and standards at the expense of some personal freedoms".

That doesn't suggest that "authoritarianism" is necessarily bad; it just generalizes a response to a given thing. It only makes sense in context: most people (and political parties) are alternatingly libertarian and authoritarian on different issues. It's rare to find someone that is entirely authoritarian or entirely libertarian on nearly every issue (and when you do, they're usually nut bags).

It seems like you latched onto the term "authoritarian" as a catch-all for "people whose politics I disagree with" rather than attempting to identify what an authoritarian is, specifically.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 27, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ashgromnies posted:

I really think you should have attempted a definition of the term "authoritarian" in terms of philosophy of liberty and freedom before attempting to discuss why authoritarians think specific ways.

I'm confused when you suggest that anti-vaxxers and homeopaths are authoritarian, as, to my knowledge, they don't suggest that their ways should be the law of the land. In fact, their views seem to trend towards the more libertarian and the mainstream view (that not-vaccinating should be illegal for the sake of public health) trends towards the more authoritarian.

It seems like you latched onto the term "authoritarian" as a catch-all for "people whose politics I disagree with" rather than attempting to identify what an authoritarian is, specifically.

Again and forever. "Authoritarian" as PJ is using it != authoritarian

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Again and forever. "Authoritarian" as PJ is using it != authoritarian

Yeah, he never defined how he's using it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ashgromnies posted:

Yeah, he never defined how he's using it.

Read the loving thread. wow.

Edit- Oh, just a dumbass gbs troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Read the loving thread. wow.

Edit- Oh, just a dumbass gbs troll.

What is your problem, exactly? I wrote a post in response to the essays they posted with what I thought were fair critiques, not worded rudely or anything. Not sure how that is trolling...

Now you're coming at me with ad hominem bullshit, dismissing me as a "GBS troll"? Get a life.

• Locked thread