Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Hyper-V can do shared volumes with SMB shares, so if you don't mind screwing your future self you could get set up with a cheap NAS or Windows file server and maybe migrate later. Your NVR could be a killer VGS - that's 24/7 write during business hours and you'll need to give it multiple TB of storage to have a decent retention period in HD. Dedicated NVR boxes are a dime a dozen.

And I'm not an engineer but I would never quote a HA virt setup for less than $30K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Roargasm posted:

And I'm not an engineer but I would never quote a HA virt setup for less than $30K.
I could build you a two node HA ovirt cluster for $250. You could EASILY bet your business on it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

adorai posted:

I could build you a two node HA ovirt cluster for $250. You could EASILY bet your business on it.

Running on what? Two Raspberry Pis?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

NippleFloss posted:

Most software based scale out architectures are tuned for the sort of access patterns driven by big data, not low latency small io random workloads like a general purpose VMWare cluster is going to run. You could certainly make them work for that purpose if you were willing to put enough hardware in place, but then why not just buy a small storage array to run two hosts worth of VMs?

Nobody who is talking about putting together a two node cluster out of spare eBay parts is in the market for ceph or gluster, hence the tongue in cheek comment that he'd need to write his own software to do want he wants: give him really cheap, highly available shared storage.

I'd love to pretend this never happened, but I did build out a HA environment by mapping all disks to VMs, setting up primary/primarily drbd, and HA NFS exported back out.

Ceph is fine for that kind of workload, but making the HA NFS part work on top of it wouldn't be fun

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Internet Explorer posted:

KVM doesn't run on Pis (technically KVM on ARM sort-of runs on the 2), and we have alternative architecture support, but nobody's tried on arm that I know of.

There is native gluster support, though, including setting up storage on compute nodes as bricks. $250 is low, but 2 grand is doable

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

I'd love to pretend this never happened, but I did build out a HA environment by mapping all disks to VMs, setting up primary/primarily drbd, and HA NFS exported back out.

I once took a server we already had, bought and built an identical server, ripped out one of the original's two mirrored drives during live production, popped it into the new hardware, put a second blank drive into both servers and tricked them to rebuild the raids, and finally changed Win2003 product key for the second. It actually worked, I called it mitosis backup. I left that company but my old boss says it still works to this day.

evol262 posted:

KVM doesn't run on Pis (technically KVM on ARM sort-of runs on the 2), and we have alternative architecture support, but nobody's tried on arm that I know of.

There is native gluster support, though, including setting up storage on compute nodes as bricks. $250 is low, but 2 grand is doable

So what you're saying is I should forget the storage array and just pay someone smarter than me to KVM/gluster both of these servers together :cheeky:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zero VGS posted:

So what you're saying is I should forget the storage array and just pay someone smarter than me to KVM/gluster both of these servers together :cheeky:

You can just install centos, add the ovirt repos, install engine-setup, and go. Everything else can be done from a web ui that's point and click. Gluster is a check box. Adding bricks is a wizard :)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

NippleFloss posted:

Nobody who is talking about putting together a two node cluster out of spare eBay parts is in the market for ceph or gluster, hence the tongue in cheek comment that he'd need to write his own software to do want he wants: give him really cheap, highly available shared storage.
Someday soon I'll share the details of the OpenStack cluster I'm working on. :)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hey, speaking of OpenStack, does anyone know anything about the Neutron/Open vSwitch replacement for nova-network's multi-host mode that's slated to appear in Kilo? I'm excited about the improvements in Neutron, but the lack of horizontal scalability (i.e. bottlenecking hundreds of 10-gig blades through a handful of router nodes) is keeping me away from Neutron in Juno.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

I was joking. It's possible to do, but certainly not something you would run any business off of.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Intel compute sticks, just don't unplug the TV over there, it runs our entire business.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Call me old fashioned, but I like to have stability on the equipment I'm running my businesses off of.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I am trying to spec out a Hyper-V setup... Unfortunately I have low budget to work with. Max $6k USD, for everything. :(

I would like to virtualize and handful of machines, they are as follows:

1. Windows 2012r2 DC/DNS/DHCP/WSUS for Domain 1 (not the only DC for this domain)
2. Windows 2012r2 DC/DNS/DHCP/WSUS for Domain 2 (not the only DC for this domain either)
3. Windows 2012r2 Online secondary Root Cert authority/issuer/RADIUS
4. Windows 2003r2 running Sage accounting (will be decommissioned in a few months, hopefully!)
5. Ubuntu 14.04 webserver running Intranet/Wiki - low load, maybe 3-4 page requests per minute at peak.
6. Ubuntu 14.04 running Unifi WiFi controller
7. Ubuntu 14.04 running Zabbix monitoring
8. Ubuntu 14.04 running Greylog2 log storage

The Zabbix and Greylog2 VMs will likely have the highest utilization of all the VMs.

None of these machines are super mission critical, except for maybe the cert. authority. I also don't need much storage for each VM, except for the Greylog VM. Basically just enough to fit the guest OS, plus maybe a few GB more for each VM. That being said I would really like to have at least 2 hosts, and make use of Hyper-V replica for at least the Cert Authority machine.

My current thoughts are a pair of Lenovo TS140s, (Xeon E3 1225 v3), 32GB RAM each, with some Intel 730 SSDs for VM storage.

Am I going down the wrong path here? Something you would do different given the budget constraints? Please feel free to criticize, critique or provide recommendations.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Anyone know if it's possible to change the CPUID on a Hyper-V setup? I was able to change it in vmware, but can't seem to find anything on hyper-v. Google searches just tend to be about running hyper-v inside vmware, not about changing the cpuid in hyper-v.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I've been trying to find some definitive documentation and seem to be failing.

How do you all use VMware SRM on SQL boxes? I'm thinking we just have regular transaction logs and full DB backups and only snapmirror the DB, Logs, OS and then those backups?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

TeMpLaR posted:

I've been trying to find some definitive documentation and seem to be failing.

How do you all use VMware SRM on SQL boxes? I'm thinking we just have regular transaction logs and full DB backups and only snapmirror the DB, Logs, OS and then those backups?
What is your backend storage?

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

adorai posted:

What is your backend storage?

All NetApp

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

TeMpLaR posted:

All NetApp
We used vfilers to house all of our database luns, and SRM to clone our root vfiler volumes that held our VMs. It was very effective (at least in testing) and was easy to manage.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

adorai posted:

We used vfilers to house all of our database luns, and SRM to clone our root vfiler volumes that held our VMs. It was very effective (at least in testing) and was easy to manage.

ok, so you snapmirrored the DB luns across datacenters? wouldn't SQL freak out about this in the event of an actual disaster, causing the DB to be in recovery mode?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

TeMpLaR posted:

ok, so you snapmirrored the DB luns across datacenters? wouldn't SQL freak out about this in the event of an actual disaster, causing the DB to be in recovery mode?
In testing, they came up fine as a general rule. We used snapdrive and snapmanager for sql to take consistent snapshots.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

adorai posted:

In testing, they came up fine as a general rule. We used snapdrive and snapmanager for sql to take consistent snapshots.

OK. Sounds like I am going to get a SnapManager Enterprise box in nonprod setup and see how things go. Thanks.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

adorai posted:

I was joking. It's possible to do, but certainly not something you would run any business off of.
Two of the items below would proabbly make a cheap ovirt lab.

http://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SI...-Slickdeals+LLC

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Speaking of running production on ebay specials what ever happened with GnarlyCharlie4u's terrifying deployment ?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

stevewm posted:

I am trying to spec out a Hyper-V setup... Unfortunately I have low budget to work with. Max $6k USD, for everything. :(

1. Windows 2012r2 DC/DNS/DHCP/WSUS for Domain 1 (not the only DC for this domain)
2. Windows 2012r2 DC/DNS/DHCP/WSUS for Domain 2 (not the only DC for this domain either)
4. Windows 2003r2 running Sage accounting (will be decommissioned in a few months, hopefully!)
5. Ubuntu 14.04 webserver running Intranet/Wiki - low load, maybe 3-4 page requests per minute at peak.

The Zabbix and Greylog2 VMs will likely have the highest utilization of all the VMs.

None of these machines are super mission critical, except for maybe the cert. authority. I also don't need much storage for each VM, except for the Greylog VM. Basically just enough to fit the guest OS, plus maybe a few GB more for each VM. That being said I would really like to have at least 2 hosts, and make use of Hyper-V replica for at least the Cert Authority machine.

My current thoughts are a pair of Lenovo TS140s, (Xeon E3 1225 v3), 32GB RAM each, with some Intel 730 SSDs for VM storage.

Am I going down the wrong path here? Something you would do different given the budget constraints? Please feel free to criticize, critique or provide recommendations.

Man if only VMware essentials plus and TPS was as thing!

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

stevewm posted:

You could work this setup and just split your VMs up between hosts. You probably have more than enough RAM for what you need to run (I'd consider a second RADIUS server as well FYI.) You probably also want some cheap disks in the server as well for low IO VMs that may just need a lot of space. I assume you're getting a RAID controller (not familiar with Lenovo's lineup)?

I have a customer that seems to really like how Hyper-v replicas work. I dunno the mechanics personally though. Maybe someone else here has direct experience?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

1000101 posted:

You could work this setup and just split your VMs up between hosts. You probably have more than enough RAM for what you need to run (I'd consider a second RADIUS server as well FYI.) You probably also want some cheap disks in the server as well for low IO VMs that may just need a lot of space. I assume you're getting a RAID controller (not familiar with Lenovo's lineup)?

I have a customer that seems to really like how Hyper-v replicas work. I dunno the mechanics personally though. Maybe someone else here has direct experience?

I had planned on splitting the VMs up and utilzing Hyper-V replica to replicate the more important VMs over to the other host, just in case its original host goes down unexpectedly. I know its not automatic failover, but at least the VM is somewhere else and can be brought up relatively quickly.

Its hard trying to fit this into 6k...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Man if only VMware essentials plus and TPS was as thing!

What exactly is this supposed to mean?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

stevewm posted:

What exactly is this supposed to mean?

No don't!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I feel so loving dumb right now, since I don't know anything about these things, but I have a HP Microserver Gen8 that I was planning to use to run a few VMs.
I had planned to use ESXI and most guides seem to use 5.5. I could install that just fine, but realized that I can't find any way to get a free license for it on the vmware site any longer.
I could get a license: "VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6 License" though, but there seems like this might have some issues on this machine.

Is there still any way to get a free (or cheap) license for 5.5?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Buffis posted:

I feel so loving dumb right now, since I don't know anything about these things, but I have a HP Microserver Gen8 that I was planning to use to run a few VMs.
I had planned to use ESXI and most guides seem to use 5.5. I could install that just fine, but realized that I can't find any way to get a free license for it on the vmware site any longer.
I could get a license: "VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6 License" though, but there seems like this might have some issues on this machine.

Is there still any way to get a free (or cheap) license for 5.5?
The HP Microserver Gen8 is on the HCL for 6.0.

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/vmware.aspx

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have an opinion Tintri? I got a call from one of their salespeople but I figured I'd ask around before heading their pitch to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

open-vm-tools (depending on distro) is basically all the LGPL-ed parts of vmware tools, and large parts of vmxnet and other bits are mainline.

I'd suggest making a template with a minimal install of slack, debian stable, or arch with open-vm-tools installed
So some nice gent put together a tool to build it on TL5. https://github.com/lapawa/tc5-open-vm-tools that sort-of-worked and I whipped together an image. It runs with ~48mb/ram, takes up 120mb of thin provision. Boots in about 4 seconds. Works great. Dunno if anyone else would have a use for this thing, but I can host it somewhere if so.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone have an opinion Tintri? I got a call from one of their salespeople but I figured I'd ask around before heading their pitch to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

I like their stuff. We run out lab and training on it. It's pretty fast, easy to use, and integrates well with VMWare. It is virtual storage only though, and the company is still fairly young so who knows if they will still exist in five years.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Tintri is really outstanding stuff for VMware storage. I've actually bought it twice now.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
A lot of Tintri's leadership recently quit.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

three posted:

A lot of Tintri's leadership recently quit.

Does that mean that they're on a decline, or does that mean that they've hit their stride and now it's boring?
I guess that's the hard question.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Does that mean that they're on a decline, or does that mean that they've hit their stride and now it's boring?
I guess that's the hard question.

I always find it hard to judge a company even when there's a mass exodus.

The same thing happened to Rackspace, VMware yet there still around.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004
Newbie question about automatic virtual machine activation in Hyper-V ahead.

Can I build the machines I want to activate on Windows 8.1's Hyper-V ahead of time, then migrate them to another Hyper-V host based on WS2012R2 Datacenter, and expect the activation to work?

Or do the guests have to be built on the host they'll activate on?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

EuphrosyneD posted:

Newbie question about automatic virtual machine activation in Hyper-V ahead.

Can I build the machines I want to activate on Windows 8.1's Hyper-V ahead of time, then migrate them to another Hyper-V host based on WS2012R2 Datacenter, and expect the activation to work?

Or do the guests have to be built on the host they'll activate on?

The hardware should be the same, Hyper-V in 8.1 is the same as in 2012R2 so it should work.

One of the use cases MS talks about is developers migrating their VMs to their local 8.1 workstations from Hyper-V clusters, so theoretically you should be fine. It would be dumb that in scenario like this you would need to reactivate the VM. Could be that you would need a KMS server instead of MAK keys though.

But, as with everything, I would test it first. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Crossposting from the cloud thread: is it possible to have OpenStack terminate VMs on guest-initiated shutdown like on various public cloud providers?