Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

gannyGrabber posted:

I ended up with teddie, and hated myself for it. I just couldn't resist saying that I loved bear puns :(

If it makes you feel better, I found Teddie's "Bearsona" line far funnier than I should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh just doing a bit of EOU NG+ and ohshit King Grimoire. Forest Guardian obtained.

Now I have two dots on my card and it's getting harder to ignore.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 28, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Give in to the urge. You know you want them all.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I just beat the true ending for EO3 thanks to a clutch hilt strike stun from my hype Princess/Shogun :psyduck: All I needed after that was a normal attack since I had no tp anyway, which went to her too because everyone else was petrified (I am a moron and forgot to swap my protector back into my party).

What a way to end the story.

e: theyre all aliens :stare:

e2: The eldest one is pretty chill for an ultimate evil. "Ey yo I'm going to destroy the world soon, so you should stop me or something."

and now he wants me to go kill his god...

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 28, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, it's implied that he wasn't into the whole invading Earth plan anymore on that route.

I've reached the Baboon King and Boiling Lizard. I stood no chance against either. I really need Ailment Boost. Time to grind for better equipment! Or set the fight up in a way that Kibagami can carry me through it. :shepicide:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

If it's any consolation, my I/N/L R/A party has wiped twice against the baboon king.

On this playthrough every time I go to the 3rd labyrinth I just wanna put the game down and play another EO game instead. I'm just not a fan of it and I'm not sure why. It's leaving me a bit under-leveled and under-geared though.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The third maze is EO4's big difficulty hump, it gives problems to everyone ever. It has a lot of elemental damage coming your way and the majority of the game's classes just don't deal well with that poo poo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not to mention the dungeon continually sapping your HP while the frogs sap your Burst Gauge.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not to mention the dungeon continually sapping your HP while the frogs sap your Burst Gauge.

On a normal playthrough that's really annoying, but I was actually glad every time they did that in my 5 Sniper run because that meant that was a turn they were spending not killing my party.

Boiling Lizard down, that was another case of bind or die. Or rather hope that the binds land AND last for an eternity so he doesn't kill my entire team. Also, I got Bushi as a subclass now. Now I just need to reach level 40 so I can get Ailment Boost for my SAs. I have no idea what I'm going to do once I reach Cradle Guardian, since Logre's gonna have to carry my team through that with the way that fight's set up. Or I'll have to kill the thing in 4 turns somehow.

So apparently the thing about Ailment Boost is that it's not a increase in percentage. What it actually does is try to inflict the same ailment the number of times you leveled up Ailment Boost. So if an Arcanist had level 10 Ailment Boost and casts Hood Circle, the game makes it silently cast that 10 times. So low level skills and classes with low LUC and TEC won't get much out of it, while the other end of the spectrum gets a huge benefit from it. Thankfully Snipers have decent LUC, but their TEC is less than optimal, so I have no idea how well that factors into things. Unless EO4 uses the same ailment infliction formula as EO3. But considering how many things EO4 took from EO3, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

How the gently caress are your XP bars STILL synched up after all this time?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

And they still have even EXP bars.

e:f,b

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rangpur posted:

How the gently caress are your XP bars STILL synched up after all this time?

It's Etrian Odyssey 4. Resting only takes off 2 levels, so keeping your entire party synched is child's play.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's sort of like a Jenga tower made of Snipers. If one goes down the rest go with them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

It's Etrian Odyssey 4. Resting only takes off 2 levels, so keeping your entire party synched is child's play.

I don't do that, that's way more grinding than I want to do just to keep some exp bars lined up. I never found the need to rest since I'm currently happy with my skill point allocation.

Hivac posted:

It's sort of like a Jenga tower made of Snipers. If one goes down the rest go with them.

Pretty much this, although my 5 Sniper team snowballed to the point where they bulldoze every random encounter in their path now.

Also, is keeping your exp bars synced really that hard? Even with normal parties, I managed to keep my party's exp bars synced to the very end in every single EO game aside from 3, and that's because Sea Quests mess with that.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Man, I'm doing all Bushi, they have auto revive! My xp bars have been desynced since level 6 :(

Dr. Fetus please desync your bars so we can all feel better.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, is keeping your exp bars synced really that hard? Even with normal parties, I managed to keep my party's exp bars synced to the very end in every single EO game aside from 3, and that's because Sea Quests mess with that.

I've never not been desynced by the end of the first stratum.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

yeah? you've never won a fight with someone dead before?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have no idea what I'm going to do once I reach Cradle Guardian, since Logre's gonna have to carry my team through that with the way that fight's set up. Or I'll have to kill the thing in 4 turns somehow.

So apparently the thing about Ailment Boost is that it's not a increase in percentage. What it actually does is try to inflict the same ailment the number of times you leveled up Ailment Boost. So if an Arcanist had level 10 Ailment Boost and casts Hood Circle, the game makes it silently cast that 10 times. So low level skills and classes with low LUC and TEC won't get much out of it, while the other end of the spectrum gets a huge benefit from it. Thankfully Snipers have decent LUC, but their TEC is less than optimal, so I have no idea how well that factors into things. Unless EO4 uses the same ailment infliction formula as EO3. But considering how many things EO4 took from EO3, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Give one of your S/As Atrophic Eye then have 2 S/Bs go Lock On > Blood Surge (Atrophic Eye this turn or the next) > Charge > Squall Volley.

Should tear through a chunk of him.

I'm pretty sure the ailment infliction formula weighs much heavier on LUC than TEC.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

My parties always have lopsided levels depending on who dies the most. So the ones in the backrow and my Protector/Fortress/Hoplite tend to have the highest, since they die the least.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Cernunnos posted:

I'm pretty sure the ailment infliction formula weighs much heavier on LUC than TEC.

It does. The EO4 formula weighs LUC twice as much as TEC.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, the formula is Inflictor's (2 LUC + TEC) - Target's (2 LUC + TEC) = X. If it works like EO3 did, than if X comes out to 22 or above, the base accuracy of the skill used is doubled, and then a random value from 0 to 9 is added to that, and then that's multipled by the target's regular and accumulative resistances. It gets a bit hairy if the value of X is less than 22.

Cake Attack posted:

yeah? you've never won a fight with someone dead before?

Not that often really.

RIP Baboon King. Apparently the Bushi subclass was all I needed for him. He did not stand a chance. Blood Surge, Lock-On, Charge, and then Squall Volley on top of Atrophic Eye and Eagle Eye does so much damage. I am probably horrendously overleveled too. I wonder if I can actually take out Logre in the first fight with him.

EDIT: Hahaha, apparently not. Leg binding Logre does not stop him from escaping. A few more Squall Volleys and I would have had him too.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 29, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wow, really? That's...really goddamn weird, actually.

Buuuuuuuut I've got 5 Arcanists and you best believe that skill's gonna get maxed to poo poo (except on Dedicated Dismisser Dude).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait, does that mean that level 1 Ailment Boost doesn't actually do anything?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Thuryl posted:

Wait, does that mean that level 1 Ailment Boost doesn't actually do anything?

Actually, I'm not too sure. It might be an extra 10 times, but the Japanese wiki doesn't have any concrete numbers. Or I horribly misread it. Who knows. I don't know if there's an easy way to test this out since there's no concrete numbers on anything, like infliction chances or resistances.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
EO3 stuff was a lot more detailed, IIRC.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Probably because it's a DS game, and a thousand times easier to go digging around for algorithms and stuff than a 3DS one.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
3 Bushi beat Kibagami, after about 10 drat tried. He just had so much staying power that it was hard as poo poo to rush him down.

Went with Bushi/Dancer, Bushi/Nightseeker, Bushi/Medic. We'll see how it pans out.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The enemy formations in B10F of EOU are ridiculous. 4 plantoids? Sure, why not. How about 4 sleeper oozes and a coconut palm? Reached Cernunnos, at any rate. Gonna have to grind some more first though, because he flat out one shots both party members.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I found this clip of the EMD version of EOIII stratum 5's theme. It's taken right out of a preview stream from a couple of months ago and I want the full thing SO BAD

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25426957

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Ugh, what a nightmare that was. The first half of the battle had my Ronin acting as the world's flimsiest tank, defending every turn and praying Hurricane Punch wouldn't inflict paralysis, whilst flinging Volt Talismans from the back row. Once he summoned the healing rollers, it turned out that A) Flame Grater is awful for taking out the rollers, since they're in the back row, and B) There was no way on Earth I was taking him down if even one of the rollers was still alive. So I decided to Blue Mage it up and grab the Rising Fang and Paralysis grimoires, hope that Paralysis hit both rollers (preferably with poison), and then once the rollers were down, hope that Evil Eye would stick long enough for me to burn the rest of his health before he summoned another set of rollers.

So yeah, all in all, insanely RNG dependent and not a whole lot of fun!

theshim
May 1, 2012

oh god why

beat kibagami at level 27 :suicide:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

theshim posted:

oh god why

At least now you can apply glacier rune to all your problems, right?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I am completely stupid. I don't know how I interpreted what the wiki said as the garbage I spewed out earlier. What it's actually saying is that Ailment Boost is a multiplier, not a flat addition like EO3's WIld Mastery. It multiplies the base chance by a certain amount (probably like around 1.25x to 2x. I dunno.) so the thing I said about max level skills and classes with high LUC and TEC getting a huge benefit from it still counts. Unfortunately, it's not like Wild Mastery in that it's applied after resistances.

Chameleon King was incredibly easy for my 5 Sniper team since every single party member could invalidate his gimmick. I also have to say that reaching level 40 was a MASSIVE power spike for my team. I'm pretty sure my team is set for the rest of the game, they've snowballed hard and pretty much nothing can stand up to them now. I think offensive classes get the most out of reaching level 40. It's nice for support classes too, but this is when the offensive classes get their best damage skills. Also getting Ailment Boost for my binders really helps. It makes the Snipes incredibly reliable. I don't know if I want to get Chase Bind for my SBs though. If I have Charge queued up, the chase will eat up the charge, and I'm pretty sure the first chase is affected by Blood Surge, which means it'll cut into my SBs' TP pools even more.

theshim posted:

oh god why

Make heavy use of Charm Eye. It's how my team was able to survive the Boiling Lizard's attacks. And your team has the advantage of getting a level 4 version of it. Although Arcanists are stuck with clothes while Snipers can wear light armor, so I dunno how much of a difference that will make.

I have to say, challenge runs like these are an interesting way to look at how the game was designed.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Great, I have some Treasure Boxes in EO4 still left to find, but as far as I can see, I've opened them all. I must've opened one, died, then thought I had opened it so I can't tell if it's been opened or not.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Crosspeice posted:

Great, I have some Treasure Boxes in EO4 still left to find, but as far as I can see, I've opened them all. I must've opened one, died, then thought I had opened it so I can't tell if it's been opened or not.

I'm glad the EO2U and beyond are going to have treasure box icons that indicate the state of the chest just for this very reason.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

If I have Charge queued up, the chase will eat up the charge, and I'm pretty sure the first chase is affected by Blood Surge, which means it'll cut into my SBs' TP pools even more.
IIRC Blood Surge's drain only goes off once per turn regardless of actions taken (including using Limits, etc.)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BattleMaster posted:

I'm glad the EO2U and beyond are going to have treasure box icons that indicate the state of the chest just for this very reason.

But then you'll open the box, place the opened chest icon, die and save your map because why wouldn't you and be in the exact same place.

Unless the icon is somehow context sensitive.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Cernunnos posted:

But then you'll open the box, place the opened chest icon, die and save your map because why wouldn't you and be in the exact same place.

Unless the icon is somehow context sensitive.
If it's like the icon in Persona Q, then it is actually context-sensitive, yes. It had a similar thing for shortcut arrows.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I haven't played Persona Q or EO2U yet but I've heard that you plunk down a single icon and it alters itself to show the state of the chest.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
That's great then. Such beautiful cartographic advances :swoon:

• Locked thread