Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Singh Long posted:

And no one else complained about it? I don't mind having to pay a bit more than an American, but cert vendors should be a lot more transparent when it comes to foreign pricing. We shouldn't have to make a blind leap of faith just because of some unexplained reason.

Well since we're being certed by an American company we're kinda stuck with that.

The other option is we pay a higher than market value for the cert full time and don't get the inverse swing when our dollar comes to par.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Just did 300-135 today. Oddly enough, most of the literature I've seen swears up and down it's the easiest of the 3 CCNP tests - I found it to be exactly the opposite. It had me seriously stressed until the end, whereas for ROUTE and SWITCH, I breezed through them.

Further complicating it, it doesn't appear you can jump between the tickets like you (apparently) could before. So if you're stuck on a nasty stumper of a ticket, you end up in a really nasty no win situation since you can't just skip it and come back to it.

Didn't like either that of course the solutions you're choosing you can't actually test, to see if they work - granted, that would make it too easy, I suppose. Just glad to finally be done my CCNP, and take a break from certing for a little while.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking at sort-of hobby self-teaching an MCSD certification. I made it about 3.5 years into college and 3 semesters into a CS degree (why the gently caress I wasted that much time majoring in English I'll never know) before my GI Bill ran out, and having 3 kids and really thin finances means I'm probably not going back anytime soon. I have a basic knowledge of computational theory, programming, and OOP, but no in-depth experience with practical use of any of it.

I've been loading myself up on MVA courses and self-teaching materials for C#/.NET in particular, in anticipation of going 98-361 for my MTA, then doing 70-483, 70-484, 70-485 for an MCSD in Windows [Store] Apps Using C#. For the record, I have absolutely zero technical qualifications or experience outside of my college transcripts.

I mean, honestly, I'm completely out of my depth here when it comes to professional IT skill value. I seem to see a lot of talk about an MTA being essentially worthless, but I feel like it's a good point to break myself back into the field and sort of familiarize myself with the exam style.

I guess the question I'm asking here is "Is there a better way to do this on the side if I am already gainfully employed?"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So I've got my MCSAs and it's time. I should get my CCNA. Networking is a big hole in my experience. I'm not really interested in it, I've been happy to treat it as a black box that is generally not responsible for issues until the application/OS/hardware has been troubleshooted.

I intend to go ICND1 then 2.

For someone who knows what a routing table is, recalls bits and pieces of the anatomy of a packet, and knows little else, should I go Odom or Lammle?

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

MJP posted:

So I've got my MCSAs and it's time. I should get my CCNA. Networking is a big hole in my experience. I'm not really interested in it, I've been happy to treat it as a black box that is generally not responsible for issues until the application/OS/hardware has been troubleshooted.

I intend to go ICND1 then 2.

For someone who knows what a routing table is, recalls bits and pieces of the anatomy of a packet, and knows little else, should I go Odom or Lammle?

I'd recommend Lammle's books regardless. He writes in a way that's a lot easier to read than Odom, and things just make sense. When I was doing my CCNA, I actually found his books enjoyable to read, whereas Odom just put me to sleep.

Odom is great, but it's like reading the phone book. One of the things that really slowed me down in my CCNP studies was there was no resources I could find by Lammle, it was all Odom and Barker.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I'll second Lammle. Even though I'm only two chapters in, I find myself actually paying attention to and comprehending what is being said. I tried reading the Odom book and it was incredibly hard to understand what I was supposed to be learning. Also the end of chapter reviews and quiz things are great.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

crunk dork posted:

I'll second Lammle. Even though I'm only two chapters in, I find myself actually paying attention to and comprehending what is being said. I tried reading the Odom book and it was incredibly hard to understand what I was supposed to be learning. Also the end of chapter reviews and quiz things are great.

Odom has some sample chapters somewhere in the depths of Cisco's website if you want to look for them and see his style. I thought lammle was great and his book had everything you needed to know and presented it very well.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Lammle writes as if he's having a conversation with you and it makes it very easy to follow along.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

I have the ICOMM test (ccna voice) scheduled for this Wednesday. Labbed the hell out of it at home, thankful i finally put a use to all this ram. Anyone have any last minute study tips?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lammle's section on subnetting is overly verbose and kinda blows. He starts out teaching you bitwise calculations and then just gives up and starts substituting it with magic number stuff halfway through with no real introduction to the concept. I had to Google to find what he meant by interesting octet.

Slagwag
Oct 27, 2010

"I am not a nugget!"

Methanar posted:

Lammle writes as if he's having a conversation with you and it makes it very easy to follow along.

I'll have to grab his Book as well. I am currently studying for my VMware VCP550 which I will take in April to get that one down. Although I already have my CCNA (although it expired in 2006). I now work in a crazy amazing environment where I am constantly working on projects involving a lot of enterprise technologies - and my networking skillset is dated and stinks. Although I have no plans to work in the networking team (currently in virtualization), I find it so helpful to really understand how everything works in a complex networking environment and I am simply unable to do this. Aside from configuring and managing VLANs my skills are useless in that area.

Also worth noting - I find most people working in anything but Networking have a huge hole in their skillset when it involves the networking realm. Although you can't be an expert in everything, I think any sys admin and the like should at the very least understand the material covered on the CCNA.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chickenwalker posted:

Lammle's section on subnetting is overly verbose and kinda blows. He starts out teaching you bitwise calculations and then just gives up and starts substituting it with magic number stuff halfway through with no real introduction to the concept. I had to Google to find what he meant by interesting octet.

I actually found his subnetting section to be pretty intuitive once he got into the magic number stuff. I feel like subnetting as a whole it tough to explain from scratch in a non-interactive setting no matter what the method is.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Chickenwalker posted:

Yea I agree. The CBT Nugget I watched on subnetting made it much clearer.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone use pluralsight for exam prep?

I've been checking out a few vids from the 74-410 exam I'm retaking and their videos seem very short and lack a lot of details that I know the exam asked for. Prior to this I had the CBT Nugget subscription and I found that while the information was very useful a lot of it didn't apply to the exam questions that came up.

I guess I'm just trying to find some other resources to fill in the gaps that I was missing the first time around on my exam

(My lowest scores were the "Install and Configure Servers" and "Install and Administrator Active Directory").

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

m.hache posted:

Anyone use pluralsight for exam prep?

I've been checking out a few vids from the 74-410 exam I'm retaking and their videos seem very short and lack a lot of details that I know the exam asked for. Prior to this I had the CBT Nugget subscription and I found that while the information was very useful a lot of it didn't apply to the exam questions that came up.

I guess I'm just trying to find some other resources to fill in the gaps that I was missing the first time around on my exam

(My lowest scores were the "Install and Configure Servers" and "Install and Administrator Active Directory").

The problem with any video series is they're not going to give you everything you need to pass an exam. They hit the highlights and you're supposed to fill in the gaps through practice on your own in a lab environment.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

The problem with any video series is they're not going to give you everything you need to pass an exam. They hit the highlights and you're supposed to fill in the gaps through practice on your own in a lab environment.

I guess I need exercises then. I have a lab environment set up and I feel fairly comfortable with it (I've been working with these systems for a while now in production) but for some reason the hypothetical questions they posed on the exam just seemed overly complicated.

Also, manual routing tables apparently was a thing that I should have been aware of but have yet to run into in any training material.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

m.hache posted:

I guess I need exercises then. I have a lab environment set up and I feel fairly comfortable with it (I've been working with these systems for a while now in production) but for some reason the hypothetical questions they posed on the exam just seemed overly complicated.

Also, manual routing tables apparently was a thing that I should have been aware of but have yet to run into in any training material.

Routing tables and how to troubleshoot/manage Hyper-V NICs using PowerShell was what threw me off when I took it. Luckily PS is pretty easy to guess if you've worked with it before.

Have you set up a Server Core with ADDS/DNS/DHCP yet? It sucks but it forces you to learn most if not all the PS commands they expect you to know.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sacred Cow posted:

Routing tables and how to troubleshoot/manage Hyper-V NICs using PowerShell was what threw me off when I took it. Luckily PS is pretty easy to guess if you've worked with it before.

Have you set up a Server Core with ADDS/DNS/DHCP yet? It sucks but it forces you to learn most if not all the PS commands they expect you to know.

Yep, got both a core and a full DC running in my environment and communicating fine with eachother.

The weird question I got was just a CMD screen with routes advertised on it and "Why does this not communicate with this one system". The kicker was as far as I was concerned all the subnetting looked fine on it so I couldn't think of a reason why it would fail.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Any tips on Frame Relay for ICND2? My mind is starting to melt after all the studying from last week.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

362/500 on the VCP-550.

Tons and tons on the features of Standard Switch v Distributed Switches and also way more minutiae about various health badges than I cared for. This at least makes up me bombing the VCP-410 badly enough that I never even re-took it. :toot:

e: terrible grammar

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 31, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Ozu posted:

362/500 on the VCP-550.

Tons and tons on various features of Standard Switch v Distributed Switches. Also way more minutiae about various health badges that I cared for. This at least makes up me bombing the VCP-410 badly enough that I never even re-took it. :toot:

Congrats! I got 336/500 on the VCP-510 and just hung my head in shame. I've been slowly working my way back to taking the VCP-550, but suddenly I'm torn between getting my MCSA 2012 and the VCP5 due to my job ending in August. So many choices, so many distractions.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

Bone posted:

Question: I passed the A+ 801exam last august. Since then I've been loafing around and putting off studying for the 802, and keep rescheduling it further and further away. Is there a time period in which the 801 would expire and I would have to take both again? I'm going to buckle down and get the 802 done this spring, I just want to make sure its not too late.

:negative: So the voucher I have for the 802 expires April 13. Assuming I haven't started studying for it yet, how hosed am I?

Just to get it out of the way, yes, I am an irresponsible procrastinator of mammoth proportions.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Bone posted:

:negative: So the voucher I have for the 802 expires April 13. Assuming I haven't started studying for it yet, how hosed am I?

Just to get it out of the way, yes, I am an irresponsible procrastinator of mammoth proportions.

Not very - way back when I actually studied for both exams at the same time and took them the same day. It's a practical skills examination and relies upon you figuring out what the problem is. With even a little experience you should do fine.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bone posted:

Check to see if you can book a date further out using your voucher. My Microsoft 74-409 had a free voucher that expired in May but I was able to book a test out in July with it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bone posted:

FWIW I think I remember the 802 being the easier, somewhat more real-world knowledge one of the two. 801 is just random minutiae whereas 802 at least has the guise of testing you on practical application of said minutiae for troubleshooting purposes.

You already passed one of the exams - skim through whatever book you bought, watch Professor Messer videos (he has them broken up between 801 and 802) and I bet you'll do fine.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Yay, finished CCNA Voice!

Passing score: 880/1000
My score: 845/1000

gently caress.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
This is my biggest fear. Im getting close to the end of ICND2 studies. Im afraid my passing score will be 805 and I will get 802, or some horse poo poo.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I'm in the middle of a (free with MS vouchers) 70-410 mentor-led "class" where you watch videos, reference Microsoft courseware and then do labs using a virtual lab running on hyper-v. The videos definitely leave something to be desired, but I really can't complain. Besides some online Vmware classes, this is the first "real" IT training I've had.

That said, I'm familiar with most of the material. I'm focusing on getting a good broad understanding of each module and subject this week, then I'll build a server 2012 R2 test environment with a spare server from work for testing things out on. I'm going to be taking the 411 class at the end of April, and plan on taking the 410 exam immediately afterwards. Since second chance looks like it's active right now, why not, right? If I don't pass, I plan on taking the next week to really cram, pass, god willing, then schedule the 411 for the next weekend.

Can anyone recommend some tips for what to try in labs, what to know inside and out, what to not waste too much time on, etc? I've never taken a Microsoft exam before. I just got a library card that gives me access to Books 24x7 which has some Microsoft books. Is this a good one? http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-111885991X,miniSiteCd-SYBEX.html

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

goobernoodles posted:

I'm in the middle of a (free with MS vouchers) 70-410 mentor-led "class" where you watch videos, reference Microsoft courseware and then do labs using a virtual lab running on hyper-v. The videos definitely leave something to be desired, but I really can't complain. Besides some online Vmware classes, this is the first "real" IT training I've had.

That said, I'm familiar with most of the material. I'm focusing on getting a good broad understanding of each module and subject this week, then I'll build a server 2012 R2 test environment with a spare server from work for testing things out on. I'm going to be taking the 411 class at the end of April, and plan on taking the 410 exam immediately afterwards. Since second chance looks like it's active right now, why not, right? If I don't pass, I plan on taking the next week to really cram, pass, god willing, then schedule the 411 for the next weekend.

Can anyone recommend some tips for what to try in labs, what to know inside and out, what to not waste too much time on, etc? I've never taken a Microsoft exam before. I just got a library card that gives me access to Books 24x7 which has some Microsoft books. Is this a good one? http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-111885991X,miniSiteCd-SYBEX.html

I attempted the 410 a few weeks ago. Here's what I suggest.

Set up a DC using server core. Familiarize yourself with the powershell commands. Set up DNS and DHCP on the core.
Learn how NTFS permissions interact with Share permissions. Understand what NTFS permissions do what.
Make sure you have a good grasp of subnetting.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Retook 300-115. Passed with a 965/1000.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm torn. The boss thinks that SQL would be better for me to learn and know than getting my CCNA.

Would I be better off taking the two exams for the MCITP: DBA on SQL 2008 and then upgrading with two exams to MCSA on SQL 2012, or would I be better off with just the MCSA SQL 2012 which is three exams?

I like the idea of being double certified, but other than backing up DBs and stuff I know nothing about SQL Server.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
CISSP application shot down yesterday. I used the wrong resume (internal instead of external) and left off my 4 years as an analyst. The ISC2 response was "[...]as you are at 59 months and fourteen days, with your education waiver, your application will be rejected. Your next qualification window opens on June 5th. You will be allowed to take the April 15th test to requalify for the updated certification."

I mean...

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MJP posted:

I'm torn. The boss thinks that SQL would be better for me to learn and know than getting my CCNA.

Would I be better off taking the two exams for the MCITP: DBA on SQL 2008 and then upgrading with two exams to MCSA on SQL 2012, or would I be better off with just the MCSA SQL 2012 which is three exams?

I like the idea of being double certified, but other than backing up DBs and stuff I know nothing about SQL Server.

Does "the boss" mean your wife or your actual boss? If it's the latter it sounds like he's pushing you to do something that's good for HIM not for you. Do what interests you even if it's not in the best interest of the company you work for.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Now I'm imagining my wife, who is very much not in IT, giving me the "I can't make you learn SQL, but I can make you wish you had" ultimatum.

Also I know double the work isn't really what you had planned, but the MCSA 2012 (sidebar, get this, not MCITP) and CCNA is not a ton of work. It's not knowledge that everyone intrinsically knows but it's also not terribly advanced knowledge, so you can absolutely keep a SQL MCSA, a Server MCSA, and a CCNA in your head.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 3, 2015

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Dear God, how did you people pass CCNA ICND2 when you go to the crap about netflow/syslog/snmp. I thought STP was boring and dry! This takes the cake. At least with everything else you are dealing with the functional operation of the network.

Reporting and monitoring of such, oh man, my eyes are just dehydrating here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrBigglesworth posted:

Dear God, how did you people pass CCNA ICND2 when you go to the crap about netflow/syslog/snmp. I thought STP was boring and dry! This takes the cake. At least with everything else you are dealing with the functional operation of the network.

I wouldn't ignore it but you'll probably get like two questions on that stuff max. Though maybe someone else remembers it differently.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrBigglesworth posted:

Well, that stuff is all really important to maintaining proper functioning of the network. SNMP and syslog are also run on almost everything in the datacenter so they're good to know about.

In large scale operations knowing how to properly monitor systems is maybe the most important facet of the job, especially if you want to avoid middle of the night calls and working three days straight because things you weren't watching closely broke catastrophically.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I'm not ignoring it. It's just not making it deep in my head yet. I've been hitting the book hard in the last 2 weeks.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

sudo rm -rf posted:

Retook 300-115. Passed with a 965/1000.

Excellent!

You have ROUTE and TSHOOT left?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Does "the boss" mean your wife or your actual boss? If it's the latter it sounds like he's pushing you to do something that's good for HIM not for you. Do what interests you even if it's not in the best interest of the company you work for.

It's the actual boss. He's not really pushing it, he basically is making the noise that in a small company like ours, jack-of-all-trades is a good thing.

I honestly couldn't possibly care less about SQL - my real interest is in the Windows/VMware side of things, but our company will never be large enough to merit having a dedicated Windows/VMware guy.

I've got my resume out to keep my eyes peeled, but I've got the 2k3, 2k8, and 2k12 MCSAs and a VCP. I have no interest in the Hyper-V cert that is the server infrastructure MCSE for 2k12.

The balance of the job hunt is out of scope of this thread, and I spare no illusions about the fact that a VCP didn't do much despite it saving a ton of dollars that would otherwise get outsourced. A "proficient" on a performance review won't leverage well into me asking for a salary adjustment instead of the across-the-board raise that the entire company supposedly will get.

Anyway, right now what interests me isn't really even getting more certs. I took a shot that the Citrix CCA-V/1Y0-200 and failed by 3% last month, just to hopefully leverage said raise, but it did at least give me better background knowledge. The huge lack of prep material makes me shy away from losing another $200 retaking it - I'd make it back if I passed, at least, but there's nothing exam-specific out there and the Xendesktop 7 Cookbook didn't do that well as my score suggests.

On the plus side of SQL, he did say that if I could take billable hours off of the SQL consultant/DBA we outsource to it'd bump things up on the next review. However, given that the performance reviews apparently have zero impact on salary increases (again, companywide) I honestly don't feel very motivated to give any more than what's necessary.

Sorry for the off-topic, I guess it kinda helps bring things into perspective.

I might try for the VCP-600 once Sybex has a book out for it.