Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I'm just about done with the main quest. I can't finish the last fight due to my usual strategy of CC failing pretty hard the statues have nearly 150 will defense? Seriously?, so I might just quit and watch the endings on youtube. I was in love with the game up until the last couple of hours. Hell, up until the last dungeon where I felt like the whole thing fell apart. I feel like I missed a big chunk of plot because I have no idea who the elf chick is supposed to be and while I can piece together what kind of history that character had with mine, I just don't give much of a poo poo about it. I'm glad I can finally track the villain down, but the dialog before his fight was lame and unrewarding. Maybe the reward comes after the fight, but I don't think I care enough to spend another hour wiping on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

User0015 posted:

I wasn't planning on making the Monk tank, so much as be a beefy front line heavy hitter. A bruiser, if you will. That lategame option sounds absolutely fantastic though. What kind of stats/races/options should I pick then for that kind of Monk, because that was exactly what I was going for. I also didn't think about dual wielding things like spears, but thats an excellent idea.

For that? High con, high int. Don't dump might or dex. Season the rest of the stats to taste: you can pretty much just go for conversational stats or RP stats, but that build only cares about taking damage to generate wounds (con) and then laying down long-lasting disables (int). Everything else is flavor, race/culture/background included (about the only racial that WON'T see use is the wood elf one, and I guess that does get used if you have a ranged weapon to open fights). You won't be a primary tank, but you will be the guy setting up flanks and disables, and you will have pretty good 1v1 chances with most targets.

Abilities you want are force of anguish, stunning blow, rooting pain, and path of the flagellant, and maybe long strides if you want to run fast when you don't have three wounds for the teleport (or a convenient enemy to teleport to); other monk abilities are to taste.

Talents... weapon focus peasant if you're going unarmed later (monk unarmed is 12-17 crushing and basically gets free versions of the quality enchants as you level up... but you can't add fire-lash or a slaying enchant, and the top-end superb named weapons are better). Two weapon style, if you're dual wielding (if you're not going barehand later, think carefully: there are good arguments for 1h [accuracy is life] and 2h [better dps]. Lesser Wounds, so you have more wounds to spend. After that, it just depends. Fast runner for movespeed and disengage? Really, any of the defensive/offensive/utility talents that fit what you've been dealing with. The lightning bonus to swift strikes is nice if you're keeping that up most of the time; if you're saving every wound for your disables, get some other talent instead. (Wounds do time out if not spent, so spend them!).

You only need land one disable to start chaining things. Your long-term disable is force of anguish (10 sec base); your stronger disable is stunning blow (3 sec base, but stun's a stronger condition), and for mobility and getting a disable on a tough opponent you've got path of the flagellant (with free defense debuffs to all in your path).

You can take this monk and wear plate (there's a unique plate armor, not monk-restricted, that was forged for a monk); or you can wear nothing, or anything in between.

It's worth reiterating: nothing's tied to being unarmed or unarmored. Do you want to be the guy stunning enemies by slashing his initials in their stomach with dual rapiers? Zorro was a PoE monk. What about a street tough with an improbably large sword and an equally large appetite? Sagara Sanosuke - also a PoE monk. Maybe you want to be the guy in full plate swinging a mace so hard everybody goes flying? (Ok, so Sauron is probably not a monk.)

(Sadly, most of the monk active skills are melee only: no gun-kata here.)

Mac Con posted:

So the 2nd level of transcendent suffering monks get at lvl 4 says it gives you +4.2 unarmed damage and +4 unarmed accuracy. The accuracy went up as it should but my damage stayed the same. Wondering if this happens to everyone, because I've heard people say unarmed damage starts to dip mid game. If it is bugged, maybe unarmed builds won't be as gimped compared to enchanted weapons when it's fixed.

Also monk related: Can anyone tell me if there's a set of clothing in the game that's just pants? My pirate monk likes to intimidate enemies with his rippling pecs but doesn't want to miss out on enchantments.

Transcendent suffering is only active in combat: check the stats when you're fighting. (That accuracy boost you got was leveling up; there's another one for transcendent suffering being active).

I haven't seen a no-shirt set of clothing... but there'll be a mod for that soon enough, I'd bet.

sizuka2 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 1, 2015

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Bottom of endless paths cheese: You can agree to the dragon's plan and then go behind him and wipe out all his dudes while building focus, buffing, building chants, etc. and he doesn't come over and eat you and you stay in combat

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drgnvale posted:

I'm just about done with the main quest. I can't finish the last fight due to my usual strategy of CC failing pretty hard the statues have nearly 150 will defense? Seriously?, so I might just quit and watch the endings on youtube. I was in love with the game up until the last couple of hours. Hell, up until the last dungeon where I felt like the whole thing fell apart. I feel like I missed a big chunk of plot because I have no idea who the elf chick is supposed to be and while I can piece together what kind of history that character had with mine, I just don't give much of a poo poo about it. I'm glad I can finally track the villain down, but the dialog before his fight was lame and unrewarding. Maybe the reward comes after the fight, but I don't think I care enough to spend another hour wiping on it.

Whats your party comp?

I just lamed it up with 5 ranged, 1 tank. Used the tank to keep 1 big guy occupied, used the ranger pet for the other, hit Thaos with a firing line each time he was vulnerable. That enormous DR the guys get is due to a self-buff that can be dispelled btw, and can in turn be counter'd with a debuff of your own. Frankly, if anything has ~90+ DR I just smack it with Durance's Tier 1 debuff that hosed over DR and does Burn damage. Priests loving own.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

drgnvale posted:

This fight was surprisingly tough for me until I said gently caress it, everyone gets to wear exceptional plate armor. Then it was no problem.

I had Pallegina tank the first statue, Eder tank the second, and Itumaak + a summoned beetle tank Thaos. Attack Thaos until he inhabits a statue, kill that statue, repeat. Each time a statue dies, the guy tanking it can go tank Thaos instead. Spread your dps out a lot and keep them at range so the AoE doesn't hit them much. Give everyone some healing potions.

I was doing very little damage due to everything missing/grazing all the time, and didn't even bother trying to hit anyone with CC/debuffs due to the high saves, but it was a pretty safe strategy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Endless Paths Floor 13 questions

I speak Engwithan but can't get the drat door to open. What am I missing?

Also is there anything special I need to do to unlock the secret door in the northeast? I know I needed to absorb Maerwalds Soul but is there anything else to it?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also is there anything special I need to do to unlock the secret door in the northeast? I know I needed to absorb Maerwalds Soul but is there anything else to it?

Talk to ghosts more

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

sizuka2 posted:

Transcendent suffering is only active in combat: check the stats when you're fighting. (That accuracy boost you got was leveling up; there's another one for transcendent suffering being active).

I haven't seen a no-shirt set of clothing... but there'll be a mod for that soon enough, I'd bet.
Ah, that makes sense.

Shame about the lack of shirtlessness, but you're right, if there's one thing modders can be relied upon for, it's removing clothing.

Mac Con fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 1, 2015

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
I couldn't but notice some people telling that the guns are always superior than the bows but did they try the bows on casters? This is also the communication problem since if you look into logs, you will most likely not to see the difference but try to hover your mouse on hostile casters-you will see they are wasting their time on trying to cast spells but unable to finish it before they fall.

The added charm for PoE is that the equipment choices matters more and I do change equipment often depending on the opponents. From such viewpoint, I think inventory should have been optimized as such. Indeed, some backers went for nostalgia but, for this system, I don't think the inventory system is well suited. Hopefully, the devs would come up with better inventory system in the future. The weapon slot restriction is nice but I found it quite troublesome when I'm trying to equip the party members better equipment for each encounter.

The underlying issue is similar to that of politics-while the devs may see best solutions but, communication goes always wrong since while the devs have a "bird's eye view" from a mountain top, the players only see things from the foot of the same mountain. Even if the devs wished for better like a platonic philosopher king, unlike real world politicians, things could go wrong. I know the devs feel bitter at times and even ropekid complained of it occasionally (a recent example is about the implementation of the stronghold) although he has a soft spot for 1986 film "The Mission." I do appreciate what the devs have been trying to achieve and, personally, at least so far, I'm very happy with my investment-both time and money on this project. So, please be patient with us and put our blame on the communication.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

For people asking about sales numbers earlier, there is a steam achievement for the 77k backers that is currently sitting at 19%, which would give a very rough figure of around 385k total players.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vehementi posted:

Talk to ghosts more

I have. You're gonna need to be more specific.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Infinite merchant gold update:

Loaded up a save from when I first got to Twin Elms and only one of the merchants was paying more for items than they're worth. So the others started doing it some time after I got there. I couldn't find any other merchants doing it.

So, yeah. If you've done some quests in Twin Elms you should totally go see the merchants in the Hearthsong district and see if they're overpaying in your game too.

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....

Captain Oblivious posted:

Apparently there is a bug where the ghosts won't give you the information you need to proceed. Maybe reload from before you were on the floor?

Edit: Also the northeast can be bugged too.

Richardanator fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 1, 2015

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Temple in the vale, I killed the quest giver Wirtan, and wanted to give the bones to Magistrate Urgeat, but I have no dialogue option to give the bones to him. Any ideas?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
My characters bitch when I use debuffs because apparently that is not an effective weapon. Like Marked Prey.

Any way to shut them up without turning off other sounds?

Little things like this get on my nerves.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 1, 2015

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
My barbarian complains that something is 'not good' when I use frenzy. This game is as wonky as it is filled with mossy rocks

Musluk
May 23, 2011

sizuka2 posted:

For that? High con, high int.

Don't do con. Monks get enough endurance, try to grab deflection via hatchets instead. Though I didn't quite need them even in the worst parts of Endless Paths or the endgame dungeon, so YMMV.

Sea Otter posted:

I couldn't but notice some people telling that the guns are always superior than the bows but did they try the bows on casters? This is also the communication problem since if you look into logs, you will most likely not to see the difference but try to hover your mouse on hostile casters-you will see they are wasting their time on trying to cast spells but unable to finish it before they fall.

Those casters are either dead or hard CC'd for me, so high alpha/high damage arbalests and guns work better.

Throughout this thread there were quite a few lists of weapon damage comparisons, low damage high speed is such a small niche that it's almost universally better to ignore it.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Dandywalken posted:

Whats your party comp?
Rogue, fighter, paladin, chanter, wizard, priest. I don't think I ever made effective use of the priest's debuffs, he almost always just cast interdiction then switched to shooting things to death, which was my strategy for much of the game once I got my fighter a good shield and some DR 14+ armor, and a weapon that returned endurance on hit.

Vargs posted:

This fight was surprisingly tough for me until I said gently caress it, everyone gets to wear exceptional plate armor. Then it was no problem.

Most of my guys were already rolling in DR 14+ armor (loving paladin lady had exceptional plate but a base -2 DR for some reason).

Right after I posted that I went and tried another strategy that worked:

Eder tanks the top statue, my PC rogue knocks Thaos out (once he did his spirit thing once, he stayed knocked out until both statues were dead), Paladin lady and everyone else attacked the bottom statue. Kana summoned a drake which helped with knock downs, and I just had to cluster everyone up once the statue was prone to get a heal off, then spread back out so they didn't all get one-shot by a pillar of fire.
I gave Aloth a necklace of fireballs that I hadn't bothered to sell once I realized I had more copper than I would ever spend, so when he wasn't casting slicken or sleep he was spamming the poo poo out of that. It was the least clean victory I had in the game, but I'm so tired of it that I don't care to do better.

So, what the gently caress is up with the ending:

Why were my only options with the souls to do what the various gods had asked? I didn't commit to any of their stupid plans, and I was really banking on being able to do something cool and useful with the souls like become a god myself then kill the other gods to realize the heretic lady's visions, or at least do nothing and leave the souls to rot in the machine. But nope, I had to go with the least offensive option of putting the souls back into the wheel and restoring Dyrwood's faith in the gods. What horseshit, that didn't match up with my character going along with the whole gods aren't true gods theory. I probably should have just given them to Woedica as a 'gently caress you' to the lack of choice I had in my options.

I'm also pissed that Roedric or whatever is name is got to come back as a death knight with 0 interaction from me. Was there a quest that I missed? The last time I had anything to do with him was murdering him in his castle and stealing his sword. You'd think there'd be some kind of hint that that quest line wasn't resolved, but if there was then I missed it.

Overall I think it's a good game. I don't think I ran into any of the game breaking bugs other people did, but it's still a shame that Obsidian's reputation isn't going to get better. I was really into the story and the companions I had with me right up until the very end of the game, but after doing the gods' quests for favor it went to poo poo pretty quickly. Up until about 3 hours ago, I was planning on finishing the game and starting another game tomorrow so I could see the other companions, but the ending was so disappointing to me that I just can't get myself interested in it. I'm sure I'll come back and replay it later since the actual gameplay is about as fun as the IE games and there's a lot of content I didn't finish because I really wanted to see where the whole Watcher thing was going. I would like to do the endless paths for example (I did a few floors but got distracted by the main quest).

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Carol Pizzamom posted:

My barbarian complains that something is 'not good' when I use frenzy. This game is as wonky as it is filled with mossy rocks

They get pretty upset when you heal party members too. "This isn't working!" Look, those gloves may not give you the greatest healing spell of all time Kana, but they are working.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I think the game somehow counts buffing and/or healing the same as attacking in some respects which seems to trigger those complaints, at least judging from the fact that in my game it shows Durance with "Most Hits" and his undying love to exclaim how they're "NOT EVEN SLOWING IT DOWN".

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Anal Papist posted:

For people asking about sales numbers earlier, there is a steam achievement for the 77k backers that is currently sitting at 19%, which would give a very rough figure of around 385k total players.

GOG probably adds a good chunk on top of that. At least I pick it every time over Steam, or anything else for that matter, when given the choise.

e: POE is #1, 3 and 4 on GOGs popular games list :toot:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There are also people who have problems with the kickstarter achievement activating.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

drgnvale posted:

Console is enabled by default so you can god mode it (command is god) and see what endings you earned from your choices and poo poo. I got there at level 8 and also literally could not beat it after trying for several hours.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Am I the only one who's playing through completely content with no major bugs experienced yet?

Seriously, the only thing that I've noticed so far is a phantom weapon slot sometimes.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
Man, I really really want to play, but I equipped that bad Cipher necklace and now my Cipher PC is awful. Anyone know an ETA on this patch that will fix said bug plus the double-click bug?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

ceaselessfuture posted:

Am I the only one who's playing through completely content with no major bugs experienced yet?

Seriously, the only thing that I've noticed so far is a phantom weapon slot sometimes.

I've played to very near the end of the game without a single ctd, or gamebreaking issue (companion stats are all as they should be, the double click passive bug hasn't affected me either), which seems odd given everyone else is having so many problems.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Rope Kid:

There seems to be a missing dialogue option in the Defiance bay catacombs.

Eorn is fugitive and first time I had 4 dialogue options to choose how I deal with him:
1. Keep the secret, 2 give him 300 money, 3 turn him in and 4 attack him

I promised to keep the secret, because it was a safe way to postpone decision.

When I brought up the subject again with him, the situation hasn't changed, but I don't have any "nevermind" nor "Keep the secret" choice. Only the following 3:
1 give him 300 money, 2 turn him in and 3 attack him

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ceaselessfuture posted:

Yes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ceaselessfuture posted:

I have only encountered two minor ones. One was early on when the text became wider than the dialogue box, and one where my chanter companion kept using an old chant, even though I had removed it, and replaced it with a new one. Both went away on their own.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

ceaselessfuture posted:

If you don't doubleclick or use save games maybe.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 1, 2015

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

alcaras posted:

Is there any way to resist or break charms?

I didn't see an answer to this, would also like to know - Durance's spell that removes hostile status doesn't seem to work on it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I answered it like 5 posts after it was asked. Durance has a spell that will remove specific categories of debuffs, including one that helps protect against Charmed/Dominated/etc and lowers their duration if one of your allies already has it. I believe it's a 6th level spell. It's one of his Prayer Against _____ spells.

ceaselessfuture posted:

No you're obviously not, as is the case with every game the people who are experiencing the bugs are being (understandably) louder about it than the people who are just playing. The game's been out for 5 days and this thread's at 250 pages. Trust me, if the bugs were super widespread (or if everyone realized they got hit with them) this thread would look a lot more like the SimCity2013 one where 75% of the posts were complaints, rather than being like 90% positive.

VDay fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 1, 2015

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
The only bug I hit was the Sanitarium bug, and that only cost me ~20 minutes of progress out of about 20 hours of gameplay thus far. I do wish I knew a quick way to check whether my companion stats were all correct, but I'm pretty sure they are.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

VDay posted:

I answered it like 5 posts after it was asked. Durance has a spell that will remove specific categories of debuffs, including one that helps protect against Charmed/Dominated/etc and lowers their duration if one of your allies already has it. I believe it's a 6th level spell. It's one of his Prayer Against _____ spells.

Fast moving thread! Thanks for the answer! :) I haven't reached that level yet, been playing slow until the patch hits.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If I just straight up murder all the faction leaders before they give me what I need to progress the main quest, and straight up murder Webb as well, what happens with the plot? Does it just get broken?

Edit: Oh man, I just think I figured something out. Raedric was wrong about who ressurected him, it was Woedica, wasn't it? That's why he strangled Kolsc, Woedica's favored means of disposing of usurpers. Or am I reading too much into this?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 1, 2015

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I think Durance may have bugged out on me. I upgraded his ability to aggrandizing, but the buff only seems to apply to him, despite highlighting everyone else. I think it's stopped restoring endurance too. Is that supposed to happen?

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Holy poo poo my Super Murderer achievement just popped and I'm not even out of Act II.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I've played to very near the end of the game without a single ctd, or gamebreaking issue (companion stats are all as they should be, the double click passive bug hasn't affected me either), which seems odd given everyone else is having so many problems.

Me too but I do have the bug with my characters always telling me buffs "Just aren't working". It's really confusing when you start the game!
I'm using a 64 bit OS though and it does sound like 32 bit ones have more issues.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Am I correctly getting the vibe that a wizard isn't necessarily the best thing to roll with right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Disinterested posted:

Am I correctly getting the vibe that a wizard isn't necessarily the best thing to roll with right now?

It seems like they're only any good if you're really directed and know just what to cast and what to do as well as focusing on CC.
Because I can't be bothered with that level of micromanaging I just got rid of Aloth altogether and I'd definitely never make a wizard PC.

My biggest issue is the ridiculously small range on so many of their spells.

• Locked thread