Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Okay but if you have a weapon with a very high rate of fire but an overall limit as to how long it can maintain that rate of fire why is the 'moment' 'one bullet' and not the period of time it can maintain the rate of fire?

Also is arguing over the definition of a moment really worth all these posts? I'm thinking not so I might stop now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Neruz posted:

Okay but if you have a weapon with a very high rate of fire but an overall limit as to how long it can maintain that rate of fire why is the 'moment' 'one bullet' and not the period of time it can maintain the rate of fire?

Also is arguing over the definition of a moment really worth all these posts? I'm thinking not so I might stop now.

The length of a moment is contextual: in the case of armored warfare it could cover several seconds and hence a long burst from an autocannon, in a fist fight it's just a half-second it takes to throw a haymaker, and in pre-industrial warfare it could cover several weeks. What's important is that it's a length of time in which an action can't be reacted to.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
I figured the turtle was the odd one out since snakes and spiders are poisonous, and in some settings slimes are, too. The slime might be stretching that idea, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snakes slimes and spiders are the wrong answer, and the turtle isn't. Clearly an outlier.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

When I was watching the video, I guessed turtle because T. It just seemed a little too convenient for the S-S-S alliteration to be irrelevant.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's gotta be the poison.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Personally I thought it was the Snake because it was the only enemy you hadn't seen yet, or rather was the only enemy that wasn't sealed in the room. I was wrong, but eh.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
edit: wrong thread

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
Turtle is the only one that doesn't inflict any sort of status condition.

How you would know at this point in the game, I don't know, because Agent hasn't gone to the place where there are snakes yet.

Either they intend for you to go somewhere Agent hasn't shown off yet before coming here, which is just cruel, or you're supposed to guess.

"Hey, most snakes in RPG games are some variety of poisonous, so these ones are too, probably. Meaning...turtle is the only one that doesn't fit in."

And before anyone says 'well turtles at least drop turtle steaks, so maybe that's a thing we could use' I'm just gonna say that doesn't work either.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Personally I like the turtle not fitting because it doesn't begin with S explanation the most.

It's a little basic but it requires the least amount of meta gaming to actually understand.

At least the punishment for getting it wrong isn't too harmful, if it was something as annoying as say dropping through a trapdoor and having to walk back it'd be much more frustrating.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

I don't think I've encountered that particular puzzle/punishment combo yet, or if I have, I wiped it from my memory. Because of the trauma that came immediately afterwards.

Then again, I do still have a place or two to go through, so there could very well be a future in failing to solve a puzzle and getting dropped down a pit for me!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Idea for the pistol being useful: reloading it and then swapping the ammo for a torch so you don't have to switch back so much. Also, not sure how much more mileage you'll get out of the shurikens, but you could put more of them in the second hand stack so that when you pick them back up you don't have to futs about. This game is rad, I got about 2/3 of the way through the first one before I lost interest but this one is looking really solid too.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Or you could look for some more throwing axes. I'm about where you are and I love the charge up skill for the throwing axes. Double damage, ignore ten armor and you still throw your other weapon too. It really does a number on high armor enemies and bosses and the farmer has a particularly great amount of energy so you can just keep launching them and doing ridiculous damage with another throwing star on top of it to boot. When you crit with one of those (and I often do) enemies just cease to be as you do four times the damage on a charged shot alongside with the armor you're ignoring. I only have five, but they get me through most encounters. I also have so many throwing stars that I can switch to throwing them with both hands in a pinch.

It sort of makes me wish I rolled a rogue instead of a farmer for ranged weapons due to the extra 1% critical per level, but then I'd just have eighty or so fish in my inventory just taking up space.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Thadius posted:

And before anyone says 'well turtles at least drop turtle steaks, so maybe that's a thing we could use' I'm just gonna say that doesn't work either.

Correct. Snake drops food.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Final battle get! The boss is a condescending rear end in a top hat. And the scythe is definitely useful in the hands of the mighty Minotaur. Especially if he crits while using the special ability of said farming implement.

I was almost tempted to give it to my farmer and have him do thematically appropriate damage with it, but...I figured flinging bombs and axes and throwing stars was a more important duty. Plus he had a potion of bear form handy in case I needed him to punch things with his noodly bear arms.

Speaking of which, that 'handful of levels' he had over my other guys? Yeah, maxing throwing, accuracy, and crit was hella useful for him. Started taking points in dodge to get the ability to throw quicker, managed to get that level right before the boss. Now I have to wonder what he'll do when he leaves the island and goes home again.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Be an actual ninja? Like as in the real ninjas and their whole "Using farm implements and easily hidden weapons to kill poo poo" schtick.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Repster posted:

Correct. Snake drops food.

It's the entire snake body, isn't it? We're going Bear Grylls on these cobras, aren't we?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's just the cheeks. Sear them in a little garlic, they taste wonderful.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Dinictus posted:

It's the entire snake body, isn't it? We're going Bear Grylls on these cobras, aren't we?

Or else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CbFAZ2ztlE

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012

Thadius posted:

Now I have to wonder what he'll do when he leaves the island and goes home again.
Order takeout, probably.

Thank goodness this is a middle earth kinda setting. If Smashmouth walked into a Piggly Wiggly, we'd need Godzilla to stop him.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Episode 12 - Youtube

At the time of this posting I STILL don't know what I want to pick from that vault.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Episode 12 - Youtube

At the time of this posting I STILL don't know what I want to pick from that vault.

Spoiler for the video: You are a bad, bad man, Agent355. :catstare:

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Agent355 posted:

A case can be made for the Spirit Mirror amulet, swapping it onto Smash Mouth as needed so he needs to hork less food down to gain a level. Food eventually is going to be rare again, and I think it stacks with his humanness and fast learner trait? Not sure. I also went with the Gold Vault, and you probably should too. Without any Water Magic, its Dispel ability that doesn't use charges could be useful in the hands of Spelling Bee, in case you came across something that LL Cow J just couldn't crush.

Like you might a few episodes from now. Heck, with just Concentration One as a requirement, that stick could even find a home in the hands of Rizzo.

Steel Vault is meh, considering you're going for the heavy unique sets, and Spelling Bee doesn't really use his swording anymore.

Floral Vault can just screw right off. There are other copies of that cloak, and Food = XP when you have a Farmer around, so that bracelet is like the game actively trolling you. Especially if you put more points into the Bee's Concentration skill, thus rendering it totally worthless via natural Energy Regen rates. I mean yeah, an extra 20% would be nice, but not at the expense of all your food.

Thadius fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 1, 2015

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Thadius posted:

A case can be made for the Spirit Mirror amulet, swapping it onto Smash Mouth as needed so he needs to hork less food down to gain a level. Food eventually is going to be rare again, and I think it stacks with his humanness and fast learner trait? Not sure. I also went with the Gold Vault, and you probably should too. Without any Water Magic, its Dispel ability that doesn't use charges could be useful in the hands of Spelling Bee, in case you came across something that LL Cow J just couldn't crush.

Like you might a few episodes from now. Heck, with just Concentration One as a requirement, that stick could even find a home in the hands of Rizzo.

Steel Vault is meh, considering you're going for the heavy unique sets, and Spelling Bee doesn't really use his swording anymore.

Floral Vault can just screw right off. There are other copies of that cloak, and Food = XP when you have a Farmer around, so that bracelet is like the game actively trolling you. Especially if you put more points into the Bee's Concentration skill, thus rendering it totally worthless via natural Energy Regen rates. I mean yeah, an extra 20% would be nice, but not at the expense of all your food.

We talked about it in the video as maybe being a secondary option for Rizzo. To some degree I think that guns (and ranged attacks in general) just aren't as good as maybe they could stand to be, which is a real shame. To some extent that's because your back row attackers _aren't_ really intended to contribute all that much, but with the new skills system there really isn't any reason why that should be the case - anyone can take noodley arms, and while not to knock Spelling Bee, there's not a lot of reason to put the caster in the front row. Throwing weapons are still great, but you can't really have two thrown weapon characters because there's only so much decent ammo to go around.

I think it's a pretty good triumph of design that it's not possible to have everything - you're tacitly encouraged to diversify, but you've got multiple options for casters, frontliners, and backliners who all can contribute meaningfully in different ways. You aren't even required to have a caster, although it's still a good idea.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Thadius posted:

I suppose that bracelet can work nicely with the necklace that eliminates hunger penalties and encumbrance. No need to stuff food in something being magically kept alive, while reaping the benefits of enhanced energy regeneration. Which I suppose would be perfect for characters with a relatively small pool of energy, unless energy regens at a percentage-based rate, rather than a static numeric rate.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Olesh posted:

We talked about it in the video as maybe being a secondary option for Rizzo. To some degree I think that guns (and ranged attacks in general) just aren't as good as maybe they could stand to be, which is a real shame.

Oh don't worry. As evidenced by the Cannon Balls a video or so ago, Rizzo will be doing just fine soon enough. Assuming Agent puts some points into Accuracy or Crit, he'll be doing even better. The only problem lies in getting the gun that uses them, and it's...not a cakewalk. I'd love to see how Agent handles it.

Olesh posted:

I think it's a pretty good triumph of design that it's not possible to have everything -

Technically, it is possible to have 'everything', for certain definitions of 'everything'.

I'm under an NDA, though, so I can't tell you how. Yet.

Dinictus posted:

I suppose that bracelet can work nicely with the necklace that eliminates hunger penalties and encumbrance. No need to stuff food in something being magically kept alive, while reaping the benefits of enhanced energy regeneration. Which I suppose would be perfect for characters with a relatively small pool of energy, unless energy regens at a percentage-based rate, rather than a static numeric rate.

I...did not think of that.

...Holy crap, how did I not think of that?!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You guys are making me nervous.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

Apologies, I'll try to keep actual spoilers down.

(Seriously, take the stick if Spelling Bee isn't gonna learn Dispell. You will need it.)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Not what I was referring to. You're doing fine. People have just not mentioned a thing I expected to be mentioned by now.

And not the obvious thing that the other guy spoilered.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

What can I say, when I saw the area you showed off in your video, along with the guys you showed off in your video, I did the only sensible thing.

I cursed. Long and loud.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Agent355 posted:

Not what I was referring to. You're doing fine. People have just not mentioned a thing I expected to be mentioned by now.

And not the obvious thing that the other guy spoilered.

What, you mean the "reward" for getting to the end of the video?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

senrath posted:

What, you mean the "reward" for getting to the end of the video?

Skipping all the way to the end doesn't count.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I really just want somebody to explicitly mention it so I know the effort Olesh and I put in wasn't wasted

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Agent355 posted:

I really just want somebody to explicitly mention it so I know the effort Olesh and I put in wasn't wasted

Nice playing, Olesh!

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Agent355 posted:

Qylvaran posted:

Nice playing, Olesh!

I will admit to enjoying the Final Fantasy and Zelda pianisting over spider crotches.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Poop man, I almost missed that last little tidbit. I am glad it was mentioned. It would of been lovely to miss that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I'm sorry, I live in Australia. this is literally my every morning.

With slightly less piano.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Agent355 posted:

And it wasn't even that much of a decrease in quality compared to your normal playing :haw:

Ardryn posted:

I will admit to enjoying the Final Fantasy and Zelda pianisting over spider crotches.

There was also Castlevania and other stuff I recognize but couldn't bring up a name for. One of the pieces reminded me heavily of Arcana for the SNES.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Yes, I had the time and patience to sit through that.

Cursing your names all the while. Chilling, actually. Some pretty good stuff in there, Olesh should be proud. Time's Scar has always been a favorite of mine, though, really, you hit high notes pretty much all the way. I have had most of those songs on my iPod at one time or another over the years thanks to sites like OCRemix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'm gonna need a list of which songs were played and when they start, because a couple of those I definitely should know, yet couldn't quite place on the first pass. As soon as Battle with Magus started though, I was so completely :allears:.

• Locked thread