Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

baw posted:

Then they lose the Evangelical vote, which is critical for them to even have a chance at the presidency.
What chance at the presidency do they have now? Small share of the youth and women vote, almost no share of the minority vote, aging voterbase. Their current strategy is doomed to oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

baw posted:

Like, the US is becoming less white. That's not really disputable.

lol sorry, I meant the racism part.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

CommieGIR posted:

Sounds about right. They are still pushing for Abstinence only sex ed in the South despite our loving awful Teen Pregnancy rates (and the weird idea that if you tell kids not to do something, they won't do it.)

One of American politics' greatest ironies. It's ridiculous. You can't reduce teen pregnancies by telling kids contraception doesn't work. That's some white-is-black, up-is-down level batshittery.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

JT Jag posted:

What chance at the presidency do they have now? Small share of the youth and women vote, almost no share of the minority vote, aging voterbase. Their current strategy is doomed to oblivion.

Honestly unless something really goddamn crazy happens then they're hosed for 2016, and then they have one or two more presidential elections until Texas is in play.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Accretionist posted:

One of American politics' greatest ironies. It's ridiculous. You can't reduce teen pregnancies by telling kids contraception doesn't work. That's some white-is-black, up-is-down level batshittery.

It doesn't reduce pregnancies, but it does increase the amount of votes you get which is of course the real objective.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

baw posted:

Like, the US is becoming less white. That's not really disputable.

History shows that "White" is really malleable. Wouldn't take a lot for Hispanics to follow the path of the Irish, Italians, Polish, Greeks, Roma, or Turks and become white

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

JT Jag posted:

Within the century whites won't even be the majority ethnicity, even if they build a wall in all likelihood

Thereby justifying white middle America's fears of a diminishing white population and giving them an excuse to double down on racial identity as a political motivator.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Whites will always be a majority of the US population. The day that "white" as it's defined now dips to 49.9% is the day that "hispanic" disappears as a racial category.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

History shows that "White" is really malleable. Wouldn't take a lot for Hispanics to follow the path of the Irish, Italians, Polish, Greeks, Roma, or Turks and become "white".

They tried that 70 years ago and it didn't work.

Like, literally the whole theme of Hispanics during the Civil Rights movement was to say "we're not just another white subclass, we're our own thing".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dr. Tough posted:

Whites will always be a majority of the US population. The day that "white" as it's defined now dips to 49.9% is the day that "hispanic" disappears as a racial category.
This guy gets it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

History shows that "White" is really malleable. Wouldn't take a lot for Hispanics to follow the path of the Irish, Italians, Polish, Greeks, Roma, or Turks and become "white".

That's true, but for the GOP to cater to them they'd have to drop the anti-immigration stuff and good luck doing that without pissing off their core constituents.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

baw posted:

Honestly unless something really goddamn crazy happens then they're hosed for 2016, and then they have one or two more presidential elections until Texas is in play.

Do not underestimate the general voting public's complete inability to remember anything important about the people they've been given a choice to vote between.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Its also the worst sales pitch ever. You have 2 options to try to sell to these horny little bastards.

a. Never have sex even though you want to 24/7 and will spend the next few years thinking of nothing else
b. Have lots of sex, go for it, its fun and just do it, all you have to do is wear this one incredibly cheap and easy to procure thing, it fits in your wallet if you want.

I wonder which will be more effective :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slate Action posted:

It doesn't reduce pregnancies, but it does increase the amount of votes you get which is of course the real objective.

Somebody think of the easily exploitable children and the Quiverfull movement :qq:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

D1Sergo posted:

Do not underestimate the general voting public's complete inability to remember anything important about the people they've been given a choice to vote between.

let me be optimistic a bit ok

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Catching up on the new thread and good job Cosmo for using a Pat Bagley cartoon, the guy's great. He used to mostly just draw funny cartoons relevant to local culture but as time went on he's gone more and more bugfuck (in a good way). Guess that's what happens when you're a liberal in Utah. I still need to get me a copy of Pat and Kirby Go to Hell..

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Dr. Tough posted:

hmmm nah

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Spaceman Future! posted:

Its also the worst sales pitch ever. You have 2 options to try to sell to these horny little bastards.

a. Never have sex even though you want to 24/7 and will spend the next few years thinking of nothing else
b. Have lots of sex, go for it, its fun and just do it, all you have to do is wear this one incredibly cheap and easy to procure thing, it fits in your wallet if you want.

I wonder which will be more effective :ohdear:
Obviously "a" because why else would they keep pushing it so hard?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

Like, literally the whole theme of Hispanics during the Civil Rights movement was to say "we're not just another white subclass, we're our own thing".

White people make the rules on who's white though. v:shobon:v

And it's already happening anyhow. Once upon a time Ted Cruz would have not been counted as white.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Tough posted:

"Hispanic" isn't a racial category, but is rapidly becoming one.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Accretionist posted:

No it's working perfectly as intended. Either you follow God's will and refrain from the evils of fornication or you get the deserved punishment of STDs or an unwanted child.

EDIT: As a funny sidenote, some libertarian shitheel actually wrote an article in my university paper using this argument unironically.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 1, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

White people make the rules on who's white though. v:shobon:v

And it's already happening anyhow. Once upon a time Ted Cruz would have not been counted as white.

Once upon a time Ted Cruz would be a Castilian instead of a mestizo (because he has money, not because of his ancestry).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

computer parts posted:

Chicano rights was more about land grants, farm labor, and combatting Mexican stereotypes than "hey we aren't white, we have our own unified identity", and Hispanic encompasses more than just Mexican, who were the driving force behind that. But I suppose we'll see. I look at Ted Cruz and see him and his stances and see what I'm talking about.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ex-Congressman, current-deadbeat dad, future Illinois Senate candidate Joe Walsh will be broadcasting his talk radio show from Memories Pizza in Walkerton, IN.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Talmonis posted:

The former? probably not very many. I'd be wary of moving to a place where the vast majority of people don't look/talk like I do. I'd worry that they'd think I was some kind of gentrifier or worse. I'd worry they'd hate me for being white. I would however, move to a black neighborhood one hell of a lot quicker than one where I don't speak the language, regardless of color. I don't like being an outsider. Nobody does.

The latter? Probably most would be fine. I was happy to see my neighbors when I moved in a few doors down to a black family, as they're nice as hell. Granted, that may be because they are near my age and their kids are still kids, instead of teenagers. Because most teenagers of any race are assholes.

Black families who move into white neighborhoods? That takes a lot of will, and a lot of guts. I don't envy them that experience.

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's way easier to see black people as "others" no matter what your political leanings are than it is to see gays as "others".

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

Let's say that, in theory, a Republican congress endorses federal weed decriminalization (or at least nationwide legalization of medical cannabis) before a Democratic president lowers its Stage. And drops the gay bashing and... hell, maybe eases off abortion. Even with their lower class-destroying economic policies, a slight easing of their social policies as well as throwing a bone to the young voters that the Dems haven't yet would get them a lot of attention.

That said, a lot has to happen before it gets to that point.

Obama will tell the world that he really is a communist before that happens.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Ex-Congressman, current-deadbeat dad, future Illinois Senate candidate Joe Walsh will be broadcasting his talk radio show from Memories Pizza in Walkerton, IN.

Of course he will. It's not about discrimination though.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

will he be running vs duckworth oh please oh please

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

joeburz posted:

No, Mark Kirk will be.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Now all SA can do to stop him is organize a kiss-in at Memories. That dastardly Walsh, what will he think of next? Cheating on his taxes?!

joeburz posted:

He'll tell you to your face that Strokey McStroke ain't smiling his way past the primary, and he'll be the ones to cap the knees of Duckworth's campaign.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

joeburz posted:

He has said he's "very seriously considering" it, but he won't face Duckworth again even if he does.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

D1Sergo posted:

Nah we'll just go back to picking on the Irish. Believe me, we don't need skin tone in order to discriminate against people for vaguely perceived differences. Maybe we'll just start discriminating against shifty-eyed people.

The Irish aren't white, though?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

He has said he's "very seriously considering" it, but he won't face Duckworth again even if he does.

Why, what have you heard?

Please, god, anything but Senator Quinn.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The Irish aren't white, though?

They're as white as all the DP's 'round these parts.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

A Winner is Jew posted:

And this is exactly what I'm talking about. It's way easier to see black people as "others" no matter what your political leanings are than it is to see gays as "others".

Are you trying to say that African-American culture and neighborhoods aren't different than white neighborhoods? Because I don't agree. I would not fit into a black neighborhood without serious time and investment. Ditto for a neighborhood of immigrants or a gated white community.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No, Mark Kirk will be.

is he going to run again with his stroke problems?

also lol

quote:

In a speech on the floor of the House in 2003, Kirk stated: “The last time I was in Iraq I was in uniform, flying at 20,000 feet, and the Iraqi Air Defense network was shooting at us”. Kirk has since clarified his statement, indicating that there is no record of his aircraft being fired upon.[25] “I simply misremembered [sic] it wrong”, he told the Chicago Sun-Times, referring to his military record.[26]

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist posted:

From the end of last thread, I thought this deserved more attention:

Article: Texas measure cuts HIV funds, boost abstinence education
Date: April 1, 2015

An appropriate response.

Awesome.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Also there's a lot less interaction between blacks and whites than there ought to be because so many things are still effectively segregated. There are plenty of minorities where I live but if I didn't have friends that were minorities I'd rarely interact with them. My workplace is so segregated (100% white office, manufacturing is like half asian half black) a slave owner could probably tour the place without noticing anything amiss.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
^^^ basically this ^^^

Talmonis posted:

Are you trying to say that African-American culture and neighborhoods aren't different than white neighborhoods? Because I don't agree. I would not fit into a black neighborhood without serious time and investment. Ditto for a neighborhood of immigrants or a gated white community.

They are, but if you ask a bunch of white liberals if they would move into an asian, mexican or black community they would more than likely pick those communities in that order. It's mostly down to how much interaction there's been between white's and those "other" ethnic groups.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

joeburz posted:

is he going to run again with his stroke problems?

Yes, he already said he will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SubponticatePoster posted:

Catching up on the new thread and good job Cosmo for using a Pat Bagley cartoon, the guy's great. He used to mostly just draw funny cartoons relevant to local culture but as time went on he's gone more and more bugfuck (in a good way). Guess that's what happens when you're a liberal in Utah. I still need to get me a copy of Pat and Kirby Go to Hell..

Came across it in the Political Cartoons thread when reviewing cartoons from the last month to find the best ones to drop in, and there was no way I could pass on that McConnell caricature.

• Locked thread