Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Basically this, I made it sounds more exciting than it was.

Sadly no drunken BOAR tank crews in ladies dresses 'invading' Montreal like I made it sound like. Just a decline in tank gunnery standards. Note following the results of each contest the fact by the late eighties the British NATO forces weren't even attending, jesus.

Winners don't do vast amounts of booze and treat things as a free holiday I guess.

Enh. The UK didn't attend 1989, but neither the UK nor the US attended 1991 because they were kinda busy with that whole Gulf War thing...

EDIT:
From an unbiased viewpoint, how reasonable is that long list of Swedish complaints about British tactics? I'm iffy on some of it: like, I can see why you might want the commander to have overall control over whether the tank shoots at a target or not, instead of having the gunner engage independently, because the commander should have a better view of the overall situation and a shot at the wrong time might ruin a perfectly good ambush.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Fangz posted:

Enh. The UK didn't attend 1989, but neither the UK nor the US attended 1991 because they were kinda busy with that whole Gulf War thing...

Oh yeah, that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

From an unbiased viewpoint, how reasonable is that long list of Swedish complaints about British tactics? I'm iffy on some of it: like, I can see why you might want the commander to have overall control over whether the tank shoots at a target or not, instead of having the gunner engage independently, because the commander should have a better view of the overall situation and a shot at the wrong time might ruin a perfectly good ambush.

I'd expect the crew to be briefed on that sort of thing. Or that training + coms would help prevent such a thing from occurring.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Have you posted about that one here before? Because I want to know more.
OK, it looks like I was wrong on some details.

7 July, 1626

George Schmaliner and Lucas Paz, with many other soldiers, arrive at the quarters the Captain-Lieutenant shared with several other officers, including a Führer and a Fendrich, who are mentioned in the testimony. (The housing situation is extremely tight. Even relatively senior officers are crammed haphazardly into odd corners of buildings, which belong, of course, to the Italian people who actually live there, and who are rarely mentioned. Just imagine that every incident I describe has an audience.)

Serious concerns or not, this is all still rather casual; there's no formal process or anything, the Captain-Lieutenant just comes out of the door and says "What do you all want here?"

Lucas Paz stepped forward and said that the enterpriser ("Impresarius," "financial organizer") who signed them up "had said that we would be given 13 Sold a day but we are now receiving only 10, and we would therefore like to know where the other three Sold are and why it should not be coming to us." They ask the Führer to come outside to talk with them.

As he and the Führer came out together, the lads were leaving, but George Schmaliner spoke to them with these words: "Now where are you going to? Here is the Führer, tell him what we have to say to him."

At which Paz stepped up and said, "Herr Führer, since the Corporals and Gefreyters have asked for what is theirs, it is nothing more than right that we uphold what is ours." The Impresarius had told them when they signed up that they would receive 3 Sold/day more than the 2 batzen/day normally given to mercenaries, which they were not receiving, and they came here to talk to the officers because they wanted to know more about that. They wanted to receive as much as the Gefreyters had. Here, they may be alluding to a previous pay dispute that, since it did not result in an execution, was not recorded in the trial records.

Paz and Schmaliner were both condemned to death; Schmaliner since he had called the Führer outside and Paz since he had brought him out. There's a thing in the Articles of War about being content with your pay as it stands, which they had disobeyed.

Paz was pardoned but Schmaliner was executed on 9 Jul.

Edit: Things are bad financially in the Mansfeld Regiment and getting worse by the month--concomitantly, sentences are getting tougher and tougher. Hieronymus Sebastian Schutze got seven days in chains for shooting a guy accidentally; a year and a half later some guy got six months in chains for the same drat thing.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 2, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

There's a thing in the Articles of War about being content with your pay as it stands, which they had disobeyed.
"Well, it looks like by complaining about that breach of regs you breached some other regs. To the gallows with you!"

Catch 22 has always existed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arquinsiel posted:

"Well, it looks like by complaining about that breach of regs you breached some other regs. To the gallows with you!"

Catch 22 has always existed.
There's nothing in the Articles of War about embezzling. Why would anyone go to war at all if they didn't think they could make money off it? (Also Articles of War are for the common soldiers; the mercenary contract governs the relationship between the colonel and whoever's hiring him, and what's expected from each of them. Those often have a bunch of stuff about embezzling, which is quietly ignored.)

Edit: Usually, testimonies and trial documents are pretty wordy and contain a bunch of random poo poo and half-related witness statements, as well as allegations from the plaintiff (if it's a dispute) or the provost (if a dude is just getting accused of a thing) and counter-allegations from the defendant, but not this. This document was very brief. You can stab your friends all you want and you will probably get pardoned, but breathe a word about the bottom line and it's your rear end.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 2, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fangz posted:

EDIT:

I have heard more than enough stories about the British Army loving around on exercise in Germany (someone really needs to write a book about Wolfgang, the legendary bratwurst man of Soltau) to believe everything they say as long as it contains plenty of cheap shots like "lots of radio transmission, but no orders".

(The canonical Wolfgang story got posted by someone a while ago on ARRSE, and it goes like this, courtesy of an incredibly confused subaltern. I've added a small amount of punctuation.)

Zulu_w on ARRSE posted:

As a brand new Troop Commander [in the Royal Corps of Transport] on my first exercise [at Soltau], on the first night: move into a harbour area, everything seemed to be going swimmingly. Good light discipline, no bumps, total silence, less the roar of the Drops.

Imagine my surprise when this lovely little van turns up in my harbour area with lights blazing and its bell ringing.

Imagine my further surprise when my soldiers including the total incomprehensible Geordie [Staff Sergeant] immediately switch off engines, jump out of cabs, and form a bloody queue beside the van.

I'm still standing there like a lemon wondering what the fcuk just happened when my OC swans past asking if I wasn't bothering with a brattie before joining the queue himself.

Whilst I wasn't the most attentive student at Sandhurst, I am absolutely positive that there was nothing in any of the manuals about this.

Over the next two years I came to deeply admire the driving ability of this fellow who seemed able to put that van through areas that we had just had to recover half a Squadron from. Wasted as a purveyor of fast food. Bloody excellent cross country driver.

Wolfgang was a bloke with a van who worked out not long after the start of the use of Soltau as a training area that there were a lot of cold, hungry, thirsty blokes knocking around the place on exercises who'd probably appreciate hot food and cold beer; and furthermore that their superiors were not immune to cold and hunger and thirst, and they could be easily bribed with free food to tell him exactly what the exercise plans were and where everyone was going to be. (For some strange reason, his presence never seemed to appear in any official reports...)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 2, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fangz posted:

EDIT:

"OK men we're advancing to contact. If you see armour in your sights, open fire. If you see a ford transit, let me know and I'll decide what to do" seems pretty straight-forward. It isn't like the crew are communicating over IRC or some poo poo.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

PittTheElder posted:

While googling this contest (the Canadian Army Trophy presumably?) I learned that the Dutch army has a union?

The Norwegian Army has a couple unions too, and they're amazing. Im in the one for lower ranked officers and noncoms and they saved my rear end from being fired once when I had a major beef with my unit commander. They're lawyers are amazing, usually former servicemen and they take care of you in an environment that of its very nature is given to authoritarian power plays and little to no tradition of compromise. There are limits of course. Soldiers can't go on strike, for one thing and that limits the unions power somewhat.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

EDIT:

This is Sweden as well, where the fighting would probably be taking place in forests, and the target would be Russian tanks. Its probably as simple as "Whoever sees a tank first, shoot it"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://baloogancampaign.com/2015/04/01/name-german-unit/
This is a neat article that comsubpac (one of my buddies online) was kind enough to write for my site. Its about a bit of Germany post-war history focusing on how the German military designates units.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Slavvy posted:

"OK men we're advancing to contact. If you see armour in your sights, open fire. If you see a ford transit, let me know and I'll decide what to do" seems pretty straight-forward. It isn't like the crew are communicating over IRC or some poo poo.

"That ford transit looked like a tank!" :downsgun:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I recall some tank gunner writing that in the heat of battle, you don't see a tank or a truck, you see a target and you want to shoot it. It takes experience and discipline to determine that it's a Ford Transit and not in fact an enemy tank, and the British don't seem to have an excess of either.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FAUXTON posted:

Same, to reiterate :v:

I do wonder if there's some lineage behind some of the older ones, like whether the Continental Army had a primordial version of the Army Rangers, or whether there were mission-specific detachments which later became specialized long-term I.e. "Corporal, go run a night raid on this fort with a handful of men of your choosing" becoming "Wow Corporal, you're good at infiltrating forts so we're having you do it full-time, pick 35 men to train" and "Ok the general staff is deploying the fort infiltrator guys for this and our role is to advance when we see their signal."

Wikipedia says that this is the case of the 75th ranger regiment unit, at least spiritually, but I don't know what the distinction if any there is between them and the Rangers we all know about. In fact, there is an article on the US Rangers, 75th Ranger regiment, AND 75th Infantry Regiment. Reason I was wondering what their different roles were is because someone said that the Delta Force didn't succeed at their job (don't think I ever got an answer as to what that was) and I was wondering what their respective roles would be. I know Green Berets did training of Montagnard peoples in Vietnam, Rangers I always figured were an elite recon group, I was under the impression that ST6 was anti-terrorism/hostage-situation group, etc. I haven't read that big effort post yet but he wasn't lying when he said this is a huge topic and I suspect there is a shitton of overlap.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I was wondering if any of you know of a good book in english about Japanese kamikaze pilots in WWII? Preferably something written by one (obviously someone who never actually had the chance to carry out his mission) or at least using good sources. I've read a lot about the use of kamikazes, the motivation from a political standpoint, tactics, training and so forth but I know almost nothing about the men themselves and how they felt about their mission.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Frostwerks posted:

Wikipedia says that this is the case of the 75th ranger regiment unit, at least spiritually, but I don't know what the distinction if any there is between them and the Rangers we all know about. In fact, there is an article on the US Rangers, 75th Ranger regiment, AND 75th Infantry Regiment. Reason I was wondering what their different roles were is because someone said that the Delta Force didn't succeed at their job (don't think I ever got an answer as to what that was) and I was wondering what their respective roles would be. I know Green Berets did training of Montagnard peoples in Vietnam, Rangers I always figured were an elite recon group, I was under the impression that ST6 was anti-terrorism/hostage-situation group, etc. I haven't read that big effort post yet but he wasn't lying when he said this is a huge topic and I suspect there is a shitton of overlap.

As you note, there have been several "Ranger" units in American history.

The first being Rogers' Rangers, the famous light infantry raiders of the French and Indian War. After that, several ad hoc units dubbed themselves "Rangers," most notably Knowlton's Rangers during the American Revolutionary War or Mosby's Partisan Rangers during the Civil War. Most of these units were lightly-armed infantry or cavalry who fought as skirmishers or guerillas.

Under the urging of Lucian Truscott, the US Army created a Commando-style unit in 1942. This became the 1st Ranger Battalion (there would eventually be six Ranger Battalions). The exact origins of the "Ranger" name is unclear. Some people think the Rangers' first commander, William O. Darby, got the name after watching the film Northwest Passage, which featured Rogers' Rangers. Others credit Lucian Truscott with picking the name.

The US Army Rangers during WWII often fought as individual battalions, but they were often grouped into short-lived groups for specific operations. The 6615th Ranger Force (1st, 3rd, and 4th Ranger Battalions, plus the 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion) fought at Anzio and were nearly obliterated. The regiment-sized Ranger Assault Group that landed on Omaha Beach and Point du Hoc consisted of elements of 2nd and 5th Ranger Battalions.

After WWII, the Ranger battalions were disbanded, although the Ranger concept was revived during the Korean War. The US Army raised several independent companies during the Korean War, primarily for independent long-range reconnaissance with company-sized units. Some Ranger companies were drawn mostly from volunteers from rear-area support units, which limited the effectiveness of some Ranger units. For the most part, however, they did effective service in their intended role. After the Korean War, the Rangers were again disbanded

In Vietnam, the Ranger lineage was revive once more. This time, the 75th Infantry Regiment acted as the parent unit for a series of largely independent companies (originally the LRP (Long Range Patrol) companies that many regiment in Vietnam had organized). Each company was attached to a Corps, Division, or Brigade deployed in Vietnam. These companies would send out small 5-6 patrols to gather intelligence about NVA and VC activities in their area of operations.

In 1974, the 1st Ranger Battalion was revived, this time as an airborne light infantry units. Over the years, two more Ranger battalions (2nd and 3rd) and an HQ Company were added until the 75th Ranger Regiment was formally created in 1986. This is the modern iteration of the Rangers.

The modern Rangers have many missions. They are a well-trained airborne light infantry force, which means that they can be used for relatively-large scale missions like seizing airfields. But they can also be used in special operations or in support of special operations. During Iraq and Afghanistan, Rangers have frequently been used as blocking forces or QRF troops in support of American and coalition special operators/

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Bacarruda posted:

The modern Rangers have many missions. They are a well-trained airborne light infantry force, which means that they can be used for relatively-large scale missions like seizing airfields. But they can also be used in special operations or in support of special operations. During Iraq and Afghanistan, Rangers have frequently been used as blocking forces or QRF troops in support of American and coalition special operators/
Were there any special forces units in WW2 that were spared being misused as elite regular infantry? I know that the Branderburgers wound up being used in "fire brigades" on the Eastern Front and similar stuff happened to American Rangers too.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

AceRimmer posted:

Were there any special forces units in WW2 that were spared being misused as elite regular infantry? I know that the Branderburgers wound up being used in "fire brigades" on the Eastern Front and similar stuff happened to American Rangers too.

I wouldn't say "misused." The vast majority of special operations troops in WWII were for all intents and purposes highly-trained light infantry. Yes, they could do specialized tasks like scaling the cliffs at Point du Hoc and yes, they could (and did) fight in small units. However, by 1942-1943, units like the Commandos or the Rangers were meant for (and used) to fight in relatively large company- or battalion-sized engagements. Consider the 1st Ranger Battalion at El Guettar, the 6th Rangers at Cabanatuan, or the Commando's Vaagsoy raid, both of which were fought by hundreds or thousands of men using light infantry tactics.

"Special forces" is also an extremely broad term. I generally associate it with any form of unconventional warfare unit. By nature, unconventional warfare encompasses a great deal of roles and capabilites. There's a strong case to be made that the OSS's Jedburgh teams were "special forces," even if they had a very different mission and set of skills from say, No. 4 Commando.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Trin Tragula posted:

*IIRC there was a French prototype fighter that carried a machine gun and scored a few kills back in August 1914; it got around the shooting-through-the-propellor problem by using a pusher design, but quickly bumped up against the wider problem of how any pusher plane that isn't the Wright Flyer is absolutely shithouse compared to a puller.

Even before the balloon went up the Royal Naval Air Service had been assigned to air defense duties.

Admiralty telegram to C-in-C Nore, Admiral of Patrols, and Inspecting Captain of Aircraft, 29 July 1914 posted:

Inform I.C.A. for the present the duties of Aircraft are to be confined to affording protection against hostile aircraft.
Scouting and patrol duties in connection with hostile water craft are to be considered secondary to this duty.
All machines are to be kept tuned up and ready for immediate action.

All very Fighter Command, isn't it?

The pilots weren't expected to be throwing rocks. Vickers was gearing up for series production of the world's first purpose-built fighter aircraft and the RNAS had been experimenting with arming aircraft with everything from bombs to old 14" torpedoes (obsolete for use by the fleet but still able to punch a nice hole in a ship) to an early kind of recoil-less rifle.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 2, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

AceRimmer posted:

Rangers were intended to be elite light infantry in WW2, so I wouldn't consider them to have been misused in that capacity. Even today, US Rangers are primarily highly motivated, well-trained, airborne light infantry - capable of acting flexibly and independently. They're soldiers that can be put into bad situations with the confidence that they will perform competently and won't break. That isn't the same as, say, a JSOC special operations team, which has highly specialized small unit skills that would be inappropriate and/or insufficient to perform the company-level missions that Rangers are called on to do.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bacarruda posted:

That's a huge subject. What specifically would you like to know about?

Vietnam-era SOF stuff is quite interesting and provides the origins for most modern special forces troops. I can talk a little bit about LRRPs, MACV-SOG, the SASR, and the NZ SAS, the A-teams, and the early UDT/SEAL teams.

SAS operations in the last half of the 20th century are worth talking about, given their role in Malaya and the various brushfire wars in the Middle East.

I'm not highly-knowledgeable about modern SOF stuff, but I can give you a decent rundown of the role of SOF in the invasion of Afghanistan during 2001-2002, which is a pretty interesting case study in the use of special operations forces.

This would take a series of effort posts, which I would be more than happy to do!

I'll do things semi-chronologically, with occasional standalone posts for notable operations or units.

We'll start off with Germany's Brandenburgers and their role in the invasions of Poland and the Low Countries. The coup de main at Eben Emael merits mention. Then the creation of the Commandos and their underwhelming early performance. As time goes on, we can get into the Commando's growing success and professionalism and mention their operations in the Med, Vaagsoy, mainlaind Norway, St. Nazaire, Dieppe, and many other places.

I'll cover LRDG and the SAS's operations in the desert. Once the desert campaign concludes, we'll go into the LRDG (and the SBS's) role in the Aegean campaign.

Special forces in the Italian campaign will make for a couple good posts. The Commandos, SBS (Anders Larssen's VC action), and the US-Canadian First Special Service Force.

From there, I'll discuss the SAS's operations in Occupied France, the role of the Rangers and Commandos in the Normandy landings, and the activities of various Allied special forces during the liberation of Europe.

In the Pacific, there's the Marine Raiders and the short-lived Paramarines. And in Burma, we have the Chindits and Merrill's Marauders, plus Combined Operation's forces in the region.

Back to the Germans, I'll go over Skorzeny's exploits and the role of the Brandenburgers during the Operation Rösselsprung attempt to capture Tito (a really interesting case study in the use of SOF in intelligence-gathering and internal security). I'll also mention the German's use of airborne troops in counter-partisan operations in France.

Naval special forces are a unique subject, so I'll dedicate a couple of posts to them. I'll go into No. 62 Commando, the X-craft crews, Z Special Force, the Combined Operations Pilotage Parties, the Beach Jumpers, the UDTs, the Special Boat Section, X Mas, kaiten pilots and the German frogmen.

Finding stuff for Russians is going to be difficult, since most of their raiding operations was done by ad hoc troops. Viktor Leonov's exploits are quite interesting.

Japan never had much in the way of special forces, although it may be worth mentioning their Army and Navy airborne troops.

If there's anything else you guys (and gals) would like me to add, I'd be happy to discuss it.

For anyone interested in the subject, Time-Life's "The Commandos" is a very accessible read on the subject re: Allied and German special operations during the war. If you want more on naval stuff, "The SBS in World War II: An Illustrated History" is also quite good.

You are, quite literally, the best. I would really like to hear little known stories about Spetznaz and British skullduggery, for one.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The French planning effort for Second Artois steps up a gear, there's developments aplenty (and plenty of venereal diseases) in Africa, something is going off around Van in Armenia, and we get confirmation that the Friendly Feldwebel and Herbert Sulzbach are in exactly the same place and may well have crossed paths or shared a cigarette or something. There's also a cut-out-and-sent coupon in the paper to support David Lloyd-George's calls for a temperance movement; and in a war filled with ridiculously hyperbolic statements from the press, there's one on the coupon that's surely going to take some beating.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bacarruda posted:

"Special forces" is also an extremely broad term. I generally associate it with any form of unconventional warfare unit. By nature, unconventional warfare encompasses a great deal of roles and capabilites. There's a strong case to be made that the OSS's Jedburgh teams were "special forces,"

See, I would consider that a mission by definition to be that suited for Special Forces alone honestly lol.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 2, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Russian case is interesting as apparently you have something like Spetsnaz growing out of the ad-hoc Eastern front stuff (where a bunch of guys sneak over and kidnap a sentry to get intel).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Bacarruda posted:

That's a huge subject. What specifically would you like to know about?

Vietnam-era SOF stuff is quite interesting and provides the origins for most modern special forces troops. I can talk a little bit about LRRPs, MACV-SOG, the SASR, and the NZ SAS, the A-teams, and the early UDT/SEAL teams.

SAS operations in the last half of the 20th century are worth talking about, given their role in Malaya and the various brushfire wars in the Middle East.

I'm not highly-knowledgeable about modern SOF stuff, but I can give you a decent rundown of the role of SOF in the invasion of Afghanistan during 2001-2002, which is a pretty interesting case study in the use of special operations forces.

This would take a series of effort posts, which I would be more than happy to do!

I'll do things semi-chronologically, with occasional standalone posts for notable operations or units.

We'll start off with Germany's Brandenburgers and their role in the invasions of Poland and the Low Countries. The coup de main at Eben Emael merits mention. Then the creation of the Commandos and their underwhelming early performance. As time goes on, we can get into the Commando's growing success and professionalism and mention their operations in the Med, Vaagsoy, mainlaind Norway, St. Nazaire, Dieppe, and many other places.

I'll cover LRDG and the SAS's operations in the desert. Once the desert campaign concludes, we'll go into the LRDG (and the SBS's) role in the Aegean campaign.

Special forces in the Italian campaign will make for a couple good posts. The Commandos, SBS (Anders Larssen's VC action), and the US-Canadian First Special Service Force.

From there, I'll discuss the SAS's operations in Occupied France, the role of the Rangers and Commandos in the Normandy landings, and the activities of various Allied special forces during the liberation of Europe.

In the Pacific, there's the Marine Raiders and the short-lived Paramarines. And in Burma, we have the Chindits and Merrill's Marauders, plus Combined Operation's forces in the region.

Back to the Germans, I'll go over Skorzeny's exploits and the role of the Brandenburgers during the Operation Rösselsprung attempt to capture Tito (a really interesting case study in the use of SOF in intelligence-gathering and internal security). I'll also mention the German's use of airborne troops in counter-partisan operations in France.

Naval special forces are a unique subject, so I'll dedicate a couple of posts to them. I'll go into No. 62 Commando, the X-craft crews, Z Special Force, the Combined Operations Pilotage Parties, the Beach Jumpers, the UDTs, the Special Boat Section, X Mas, kaiten pilots and the German frogmen.

Finding stuff for Russians is going to be difficult, since most of their raiding operations was done by ad hoc troops. Viktor Leonov's exploits are quite interesting.

Japan never had much in the way of special forces, although it may be worth mentioning their Army and Navy airborne troops.

If there's anything else you guys (and gals) would like me to add, I'd be happy to discuss it.

For anyone interested in the subject, Time-Life's "The Commandos" is a very accessible read on the subject re: Allied and German special operations during the war. If you want more on naval stuff, "The SBS in World War II: An Illustrated History" is also quite good.

I am literally riveted to this. Sincerely interested in better understanding SF units.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Russian case is interesting as apparently you have something like Spetsnaz growing out of the ad-hoc Eastern front stuff (where a bunch of guys sneak over and kidnap a sentry to get intel).

I wouldn't say it was ad hoc, these duties were performed by dedicated scouts.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I just like imagining that Rangers being used as blocking forces for Special Forces are there to shoot the operators if they run away :commissar:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rockopolis posted:

I just like imagining that Rangers being used as blocking forces for Special Forces are there to shoot the operators if they run away :commissar:

Hahaha. "No cowards in this man's army Rainbow Six."

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baloogan posted:

http://baloogancampaign.com/2015/04/01/name-german-unit/
This is a neat article that comsubpac (one of my buddies online) was kind enough to write for my site. Its about a bit of Germany post-war history focusing on how the German military designates units.

Good as an initial primer at the very least! Might it also be cool to include some of the later changes in Heer nomenclature/organization though, like the abortive Jägerdivisionen of Heeresstruktur III, fourth (composite) battalions in Struktur IV, and maybe the peace-/wartime distribution accross 3/5 Corps?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bacarruda posted:

I wouldn't say "misused." The vast majority of special operations troops in WWII were for all intents and purposes highly-trained light infantry. Yes, they could do specialized tasks like scaling the cliffs at Point du Hoc and yes, they could (and did) fight in small units. However, by 1942-1943, units like the Commandos or the Rangers were meant for (and used) to fight in relatively large company- or battalion-sized engagements. Consider the 1st Ranger Battalion at El Guettar, the 6th Rangers at Cabanatuan, or the Commando's Vaagsoy raid, both of which were fought by hundreds or thousands of men using light infantry tactics.
I've seen a strong argument made that D Company, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry was "misused" by not being taken out of the line post D-day. Given the insane amount of training given to a subsection of an already pretty elite unit there's a degree of logic to that.

Ninja edit: I've also seen that decision blamed for the failure of Market Garden though, despite all evidence to the contrary that the same type of Op was impossible there.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
More about the BAOR.

The last part of the trials was conducted as a major field exercise. The BLUFOR had Chieftains only, the OPFOR mixed Chieftains and S-tanks. The OPFOR "won", but the Swedish observers dismiss the results as "highly questionable". Some observations:

quote:

The BLUFOR tank units appear very unprofessional. Uses unsuitable formations, roads and combat positions. In general, they appear to think they are invulnerable. Tank commanders and loaders stand very far up in their hatches. Drivers have hatches open and drive with their head above the edge.

There is no coordination of attacks between tanks, infantry and artillery. Tanks attack alone into forests. Infantry attacks alone across open fields straight at defending tanks. When attacking, units are not concentrated, neither in space nor in time. Attacks are always conducted in a "trickling" fashion.

Radio traffic is very intensive but there are rarely orders given.

At the OPFOR, unit commanders are often deployed very far behind their units, battle group commanders about 5 km behind and combat team commanders 500-1000 meters behind.

CYCLOPS (the S-tank squadron) combat positioning during the delaying action was usually pretty good.

All tanks, both Chieftain and S-tanks, are driven very carelessly. No attention is paid to neither civilian traffic nor property damage. Reports on engine failures have a hard time reaching the maintenance units. Map reading capabilities are overall very bad.

(...)

The experiences from these exercises appear to be highly questionable.

quote:

British tank crews always carry a lot of baggage, both combat and non-combat equipment (cooking equipment, food, tents etc), on and/or in their tanks. Unlike our crews, they are completely independent of separate cooking units and baggage trains. This meant that the space available in the S-tank was far too small for their equipment.

(...)

Very little attention is paid to the fact that the unit is exercising on private property. Driving on public roads is very careless and the exercise area is not marked or delimited. Damage to planted fields is frequent despite good opportunities to choose routes over fields where the harvest has already been taken in. Apparently the property damage costs for a similar exercise in the same area last year were on the order of 10 million SEK (about 62 million SEK today, ~6 million EUR). These damages are paid for by the German authorities. During this year's exercises, five people died; during the same exercise last year, thirteen people died.

Strike aircraft are available on request during the exercises. Helicopters are used for both recon and command duties. The routines for coordinating with airplanes and helicopters seem to be well developed. The British command APC is well suited to its purpose and the space available is better than in our equivalent vehicle. Wired communications are not used between brigade staffs and battle groups. The system with call signs painted on the rear of the tanks appears to work well.

(...)

Deployment width and depth is considerable in the smaller units. Tank platoons are often deployed over a width/depth of 600-800 meters. (...) Tank platoons are frequently deployed independently behind each other. Support is organized within the platoon and not between platoons. The rear platoon is usually 500-1000 meters behind the front one. Hence, the result is that the enemy knocks them out one by one, platoon after platoon. Both platoon commanders and tank commanders act very independently and choose both their own routes and positions and their own timings for advancing or repositioning. The whole thing frequently resembles a guerrilla war or every man for himself.

The infantry is used way too late to take terrain from which the enemy can fight the tanks up close with weapons such as recoilless rifles. The tanks attack first. When they start taking fire, the mechanized infantry is deployed. There is no planning for attacks in depth. On the first day, it took seven hours to advance seven kilometers with the BLUFOR's combat team (17 tanks and a mechanized infantry platoon) against an OPFOR with 9 tanks and one mechanized infantry platoon, deployed in three lines.

If a platoon or squadron commander's tank gets engine problems, the commanders do not move to another tank. Tanks are frequently deployed in very unsuitable positions where they are easily knocked out. The observation and recon duties are conducted badly. The soldiers seem very passive. Chieftains are often positioned behind a ridge with the gun and the chassis side against the enemy. The S-tank crews rarely clean their optics.

When fighting a delaying action, the tanks in a platoon retreat by turns along the whole depth of the deployment. Withdrawal is frequently started far too late, and the tanks are thus knocked out one by one. Despite the terrain allowing opening fire at long distances (2-3 km), fire is often opened far too late (500 m). There is never a rear platoon deployed to cover the front platoon's withdrawal.

In light of the heavy criticism above, it has been very hard to judge how well the S-tank has proven itself. The results have mostly been influenced by troop performance and and not by the tank's performance. As far as it has been possible for us to observe, though, we cannot say that the S-tank has suffered more losses than the Chieftains.

S-tank availability has been good. Most of the time all tanks have been in working condition in daytime. On the OPFOR side, the Chieftain availability has dropped steadily. Near the end of the exercise the availability was down to 50%, and thus a Chieftain platoon was transferred from BLUFOR to OPFOR.

On the British vehicles:

quote:

The Chieftain tank:
The reliability seems surprisingly low. During the exercises, the number of tanks that had to drop out due to mechanical trouble was relatively high. Mostly, it's the engine that is the problem. When a Chieftain stops, after a little while there's always an oil slick on the ground or garage floor under it. The gun stabilization also fails frequently. The accuracy of the contra-rotating feature in the commander's observation cupola is very low. It is almost never used by the Brits. The tank's speed over terrain does not seem to be superior to that of the S-tank. The commander's observation equipment is very good.

The Scorpion tank:
The Swedish personnel got an excellent briefing on the tank and was also allowed to drive it. It is very fast and easy to drive. The observation equipment is absolutely excellent. (...)

The FV 432 APC:
Appears to have a large number of different reliability problems, mainly concerning the steering gears. The vehicles are so far gone that they are considered a danger to traffic. According to maintenance personnel, a lot of the problems are caused by the soldiers not doing sufficient daily maintenance.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 2, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheFluff posted:

The reliability seems surprisingly low. During the exercises, the number of tanks that had to drop out due to mechanical trouble was relatively high. Mostly, it's the engine that is the problem. As soon as a Chieftain stops, after a little while there's always an oil slick on the ground or garage floor. The gun stabilization also fails frequently. The accuracy of the contra-rotating feature in the commander's observation cupola is very low. It is almost never used by the Brits. The tank's speed over terrain does not seem to be superior to that of the S-tank. The commander's observation equipment is very good.

I laughed aloud at this because it's so achingly british, like the tanks were made by leyland or something. :britain:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

TheFluff posted:

More about the BAOR.

Hahahahahha

"Basically it's difficult to differentiate between the comparative merits of these vehicles and the complete incompetency of the people using them!"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TheFluff posted:

On the British vehicles:
Any more on the Scorpion specifically? I've got a soft spot in my heart for it after building the utterly dire Airfix kit as a wee nipper, and it's the only tank we've got in service here these days. Or basically ever...

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
As I understand it those loving things are unreliable as well but perhaps their users maintained them better in this case.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Arquinsiel posted:

Any more on the Scorpion specifically? I've got a soft spot in my heart for it after building the utterly dire Airfix kit as a wee nipper, and it's the only tank we've got in service here these days. Or basically ever...

Not really, sorry. The paragraph continues with mentioning how the Scorpion is supposed to replace various armored cars in some places but there's nothing more about the vehicle itself.

Disinterested posted:

As I understand it those loving things are unreliable as well but perhaps their users maintained them better in this case.

This was in summer 1973, so the Scorpion was brand new and being introduced at the time. Any reliability problems had probably not showed themselves too much yet.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 2, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No worries. Still an awesome read.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Posted the full report here: http://tanks.mod16.org/2015/04/02/report-from-british-strv-103-trials-at-the-baor-1973/
In Swedish, unfortunately, but I posted the translated bits too. Should I expect hate mail from angry Brits?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Slavvy posted:

I laughed aloud at this because it's so achingly british, like the tanks were made by leyland or something. :britain:

They were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

TheFluff posted:

Posted the full report here: http://tanks.mod16.org/2015/04/02/report-from-british-strv-103-trials-at-the-baor-1973/
In Swedish, unfortunately, but I posted the translated bits too. Should I expect hate mail from angry Brits?

Eh it's commonly accepted that British military competence specialises around letting everything go to poo poo and then pulling it back together again after.

• Locked thread