Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know the Authority would probably be 10x better if instead of the Big Show and Kane as enforcers, they had I don't know BNB, Sheamus, Cesaro, Kidd, and Harper (well they kind of have Harper on retainer) instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

RBX posted:

Stephanie doesn't make it fun to hate her like Vince did, to put it plain and simple. Also like a million people have pointed out Vince got chumped way more times than once every few years.

Pretty much that. Stephanie never gets chumped. When she did momentarily get chumped by Ronda, she was back the next night and didn't particularly care.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It was good that she got in over her head with Ronda and immediately got clowned for it.

It was bad that she did the "GET OUT OF MY RING" bullshit with Brock Lesnar. Nobody gets to act strong with Brock Lesnar. It makes no sense whatsoever for non-wrestlers to talk to that particular character that way. Stephanie gets to because Stephanie writes her own poo poo.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

DeathChicken posted:

Pretty much that. Stephanie never gets chumped. When she did momentarily get chumped by Ronda, she was back the next night and didn't particularly care.

Vince would have been in a sling, you know even kinda selling it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

actually the crowd chanted "ronda rousey" at her with such fervor she had to threaten them to shut them up because it bothered her a lot

the authority is still bad though and i hate them and their tall useless stiffs who drag down everything they are involved in

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

oatgan posted:

actually the crowd chanted "ronda rousey" at her with such fervor she had to threaten them to shut them up because it bothered her a lot

I'm surprised she didn't do scott hall's spooky fingers when they did that.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

achillesforever6 posted:

You know the Authority would probably be 10x better if instead of the Big Show and Kane as enforcers, they had I don't know BNB, Sheamus, Cesaro, Kidd, and Harper (well they kind of have Harper on retainer) instead?

I really wish they would just do an angle where Show and Kane finally blow up at Stephanie for treating them like chumps and go off TV for a month or two. I know they're not going to fire them or something, but give them some time off so the fans can forget a little bit that they've been jobbers forever and then bring them back as a killer tag team that just destroys people (preferably as a special attraction/MYSTERY OPPONENT not wrestling every loving week) and let some of the younger guys like that get a shot as top heels.

It's not like anyone loving buys Kane or Show as a threat to anyone as it is. They lose every match (except against Roman Reigns) and have zero credibility.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think they wanted to get Barrett in there in some way, but then he got hurt. Sheamus got hurt too, so that was probably out too, (don't know why they waited so long to bring him back, maybe that could have been solved more recently). Cesaro could have worked if the Heyman thing hadn't went bust, but they should have never paired them together in the first place so welp. Kidd's a scrub, and Harper's better solo, I've never liked him more than where he is right now (beating up scrubs and having a rare entrance I completely like with poses and music included).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

remember when the big show danced in a diaper to celebrate the new year? well you're supposed to be threatened by him now

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

He threatens me with boredom and gently caress finishes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

here's an idea: roman reigns kills the big show and kane and turns heel and becomes big show and kane

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

WeaponX posted:

there are plenty if issues with Stephanie as a character and the authority in general but she is a great heel and I don't mind the fact that she stays strong because they are never consistently strongly booked heels in wwe. also she comes off as a horrible, hypocritical, shrieking banshee most the time I don't know why people think that means she is heel who never looks bad.

you are supposed to really hate heels. wwe is bad at booking blowoffs in general I don't think it's a Stephanie specific problem.

that character you are describing sounds very hate-worthy why isn't that "good heeling"?

I'll take a shot at this.

Because it can't really have a satisfactory payoff, not in the traditional sense of wrestling. You tease the possibility of the heel finally getting theirs, people pay to see it, and [ideally] you have them get out of it in such a way that people still believe it's coming and will keep paying to watch in the hope they'll finally see it. And, if you promote right, and read your audience well, you finally have the heel get theirs on the last time that people will still pay to watch before they finally go "aw to hell with this, it's never coming, I'm not gonna watch anymore."

Now, usually it's a big match; it doesn't have to be per se: building up to one big manager bump when Insert Face Here finally got his hands on Jimmy Hart or Bobby Heenan long enough to give 'em that one big punch or whatever. But either way you can't really do that here because Stephanie is a woman and you really don't want to open the Attitude Era pandora's box back up with Austin giving her the stunner Brock F-5ing her or something. And since #givedivasachance not withstanding the divas division is still treated at Concession Break Time, none of the women who otherwise could get physical on her without it being problematic are high enough up the card/cared enough about by the audience to do without kinda dragging Stephanie down in importance, and thus lessening her heel value.

But you could still have someone outsmart her. Outscheme her. Or even just verbally destroy her in the 30 minute opening monologue-that-invariably-turns-debate. "Chump her" in any one of many non-physical ways.

But instead, like what Cornwind Evil points out, she hits the Cheat Code of real life. She's Vince's daughter, she's really going to co-own the company someday, she's part running it now so that she'll have the experience to take over in full when Vince eventually dies. And everyone knows she actually is, and isn't just playing his daughter on TV. With that bit of real life put into it it's that much harder to convince the audience the comeuppance is coming (and if you keep paying to watch, you'll eventually see it). The expectation becomes LOL NOPE, she uses the mom voice and -- face and heel alike -- all the other on-air talent ends up looking her kid and that she's dragging them by the ear. Instead of vicariously living the fantasy of how we want to treat our boss as was the case with Stone Cold Steve Austin defying, outsmarting, fooling, and occasionally even roughing up his boss Vince McMahon, now we watch even John Cena (let alone midcard and below) kowtow to Stephanie like we actually really have to do with our own boss. Right down to not even getting to backsass them. When the wrestlers aren't even able to hint at giving her comeuppance, how can you sell fans on the hope of seeing it?

Just imagine the pop if, when Stephanie was yelling "get out of my ring NOW. NOW. NOW!!!!!!!!" Brock had even simply just stood there and said, "make me." Or if any wrestler had said that in any similar scenario. Then you send the goon squad and beat him up, or whatever. And from then on you have her stack the deck with unfair stipulations in matches as the guy fights her goon squad one by one, and you can have the guy win and outsmart her while doing so: exploit a loophole to take advantage of the stipulations that were supposed to screw him over, what have you. But now you've got a guy people want to root for, doing things that make him worth rooting for, in matches for a reason against guys he's fighting for a reason, which people will want to see and will perhaps even pay to see [unless it's Big Show and Kane, who are on the wrong side of 18 years worth of audience fatigue, of course.]

Instead she shouts everyone down and they just slink to the back looking like a loser. There's no hope to sell, there's no hero to get behind, so her great heeling doesn't actually generate any money. So in that sense it isn't really all that great a job of heeling. Why do all the smarks chant "John Cena sucks!" ? Because everyone knows he always wins. It gets boring. Stephanie always wins too. And it doesn't feel like she's conniving or cheating to win. It's more like an old timey Goldberg squash, 30 seconds of domination and the other guy doesn't even get any offense in. Partly because of leveraging that "I really am actually the boss" factor. But even in victory the heel needs to get chumped somewhat, and she really doesn't quite ever seem to.

[Boy this is an embarrassingly large number of :words: to be writing in one sitting about guys who fake fight in their underwear.]

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I gave up on Raw the second I saw the Big Show, Kane, and Orton.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

A more sensible approach than most of us.

Particularly me because I chose that same course of action more or less a decade ago yet for some reason [post-Royal Rumble Roman Reigns backlash] in just about a month now I've not only watched a couple RAWs and even as I laugh "lol Big Show and Kane are actually still around?" I've actually started posting about this poo poo again. Long winded posts.

I really should know better but LOL NOPE! apparently. Not only have I fallen off the wagon but I have rolled a very long distance.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

oatgan posted:

remember when the big show danced in a diaper to celebrate the new year? well you're supposed to be threatened by him now

I like that that segment was clearly to punish him for not successully siphoning off Bryan's heat and co-opting his chant. And because Vince thought it was funny.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
"Because Vince thought it was funny" is basically the wrestling equivalent of the "Because Japan" explanation/excuse for any weird/creepy stuff that makes its way into video games and/or cartoons, and news blurbs about weird stuff sold in Tokyo vending machines.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Imagine if Kevin Dunn wasn't a complete piece of crap. He has Vince's ear on a lot of stuff, so imagine if he was actually good. How much better could the product be?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

WeaponX posted:

there are plenty if issues with Stephanie as a character and the authority in general but she is a great heel and I don't mind the fact that she stays strong because they are never consistently strongly booked heels in wwe. also she comes off as a horrible, hypocritical, shrieking banshee most the time I don't know why people think that means she is heel who never looks bad.

you are supposed to really hate heels. wwe is bad at booking blowoffs in general I don't think it's a Stephanie specific problem.

that character you are describing sounds very hate-worthy why isn't that "good heeling"?

Why does Stephanie need to look strong? What's the payoff in having a heel authority figure if you never let the good guys beat them? I mean the one time a diva actually took her on it ended with Stephanie standing tall over her at Summerslam. I can't imagine how terrible the attitude era would have been if Vince never showed weakness and never once let the faces get one up on him.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Steph got in rockys face and slapped him and dared him to hit her back but she didn't approach the ring Monday because Brock would f5 before she finished her first sentence.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

DM Punk posted:

Imagine if Kevin Dunn wasn't a complete piece of crap. He has Vince's ear on a lot of stuff, so imagine if he was actually good. How much better could the product be?

Imagine there's no Kevin
it's easy if you try
no ban on the w-word
belts instead of titles

Imagine all the workers
cutting promos of their own

You may say that I'm a dreamer
but I'm not the only one
I'm some day you'll join us [for only $9.99 a month! No obligation, cancel any time!]
And the universe is rid of Dunn!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Remember in the first Extreme Rules match Lesnar had with Cena how he picked up a ref with one hand and tossed him in the ring like a bag of wet laundry? He should do that more. Just pick up J&J and throw them underhand.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Remember in the first Extreme Rules match Lesnar had with Cena how he picked up a ref with one hand and tossed him in the ring like a bag of wet laundry? He should do that more. Just pick up J&J and throw them underhand.

I'd rather see him do more ridiculous leaps, fake being hurt, and then laugh about trolling us like he also did in that match

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Supreme Allah posted:

This is a good description, Stephanie is basically that kid that goes 'well this is MY house so I SAY you are IT, okay caitlyn! My dad paid for this party so you have to go count to ten while I find another hiding place or I'M TELLING'.

It's a whining queen-child bit. I'm glad she's at least sometimes entertaining with the screeching, but it's not great heeling elsewise.
Didn't she get mad that Dusty Rhodes put up a hand when she tried to interrupt him giving a promo a couple of years back, and that's why we didn't see Dusty since?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DM Punk posted:

You think they would still be besties if Dunn a yes man?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Yo, Randy Orton rules though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You're all forgetting that someone DID step up to give Stephanie her comeuppance: Brie Bella.

And then her twin sister hit her and told her she wished she died in the womb and then she became her slave and then forgave her because *~SiStERz~4~EvR~*

Benne posted:

But now who's going to dance for The New And Improved Fandango :ohdear:

It's really unfortunate that Joe Hennig had to take the name Curtis, because they could easily rebrand Fandango as Dirty Curty and just have him be a dirtbag weirdo who hangs out in bathroom stalls again.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I was just thinking about how refreshing the show would be if we had a face authority figure for awhile. Remember the post SummerSlam show and how good it was? As good as Hunter and Steph are (and honestly they might be the two best talkers excluding Heyman in the company right now) I think the time for the big bad authority has run it's course completely. I can't tell you how tired I am of spending the first 20 minutes of every show having a long authority promo to setup a match I don't care about.

I like the idea of bringing in someone a little wacky for a commissioner job. Have the gimmick that they don't entirely have all their marbles. That way you can have them book whatever matches you want and have the go against a face from time to time without a whole drama bomb going off that you have to explain. The question is who would be a good fit for a role like that? Foley maybe but he has too much backstory for something like that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Djarum posted:

I was just thinking about how refreshing the show would be if we had a face authority figure for awhile. Remember the post SummerSlam show and how good it was? As good as Hunter and Steph are (and honestly they might be the two best talkers excluding Heyman in the company right now) I think the time for the big bad authority has run it's course completely. I can't tell you how tired I am of spending the first 20 minutes of every show having a long authority promo to setup a match I don't care about.

I like the idea of bringing in someone a little wacky for a commissioner job. Have the gimmick that they don't entirely have all their marbles. That way you can have them book whatever matches you want and have the go against a face from time to time without a whole drama bomb going off that you have to explain. The question is who would be a good fit for a role like that? Foley maybe but he has too much backstory for something like that.

Heyman.

Or any random face that's injured.

Bad News Barrett could have turned face and done it in a goofy Judge Judy kind of way.

E: Have New Day freebird the commisionership

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 2, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Commissioner Foley was some of the best times in wrestling. Bring back the face authority figure.

Or do a mostly hands-off thing like Regal in NXT. Regal's alignment is "office worker"

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

sticklefifer posted:

You're all forgetting that someone DID step up to give Stephanie her comeuppance: Brie Bella.

And then her twin sister hit her and told her she wished she died in the womb and then she became her slave and then forgave her because *~SiStERz~4~EvR~*

Steph won that match.

Vickie threw her in some mud though. That was cool.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 2, 2015

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Everblight posted:

Heyman.

Or any random face that's injured.

Bad News Barrett could have turned face and done it in a goofy Judge Judy kind of way.

Oh god Sandow! Imagine him dressing up as a different person every week with different personality so no one knew what you would get.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Sockser posted:

Commissioner Foley was some of the best times in wrestling. Bring back the face authority figure.

Or do a mostly hands-off thing like Regal in NXT. Regal's alignment is "office worker"

Regal's promo after NXT Rival was excellent and I liked his interactions with Riley recently where he put over Cesaro despite Cesaro having nothing at all to do with the angle being discussed. Regal is brilliant.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I remember reading somewhere that the entire reason for the Authority was NBC asking for more Triple H and a super heel faction to serve as the big bads.

Of course the place I read that on was /wooo/ so who the gently caress knows.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I don't know how credible it is but Wade Keller always says NBCU loves the McMahons being on TV. How much is just NBCU demanding they be on TV or how much is just them "suggesting" they like it, I have no idea.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Big E has been cuttin' some kinda heelish promos on Twitter. It's a shame New Day didn't work as faces, but I'd be interested in seeing what they can do as a heel stable.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Daniel Bryan posted:

I don't know how credible it is but Wade Keller always says NBCU loves the McMahons being on TV. How much is just NBCU demanding they be on TV or how much is just them "suggesting" they like it, I have no idea.

Well I mean I don't totally believe it, but these were the same people going "Okay do a murder mystery storyline in your professional wrestling show."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

GrimGypsy posted:

Big E has been cuttin' some kinda heelish promos on Twitter. It's a shame New Day didn't work as faces, but I'd be interested in seeing what they can do as a heel stable.

As awesome as Big E is on Twitter, I don't see anyone caring enough either way for it to be a thing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well they had the "Who ran over Stone Cold?" Angle which had more than one people wandering around backstage asking questions like a Police procedural.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Mister E posted:

:siren:WARNING: EVA MARIE WILL BE WRESTLING AGAIN:siren:
https://instagram.com/p/09EAHyGzds/
:siren:THIS IS NOT A DRILL:siren:

I fear for the wellbeing of everyone in her vicinity.

Even if she improves in the ring a millionfold, she's such a terrible promo that her chances of success are still zero. I was reading the Paxamania page the other day and found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml4wwa7vdJs - she attempts to cut a promo and she struggles with something as basic as "this one guy is going to beat another guy at videogame".

It also has Daniel Bryan, Goldust and Stardust all doing the same thing (well Stardust does his own thing but he's amazing) and they're all fantastic at it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

HulkaMatt posted:

Steph won that match.
I know. I explained the aftermath pretty well, I think. :colbert:

Djarum posted:

HOLD ON A MINUTE PLAYA

THIS IS NOW A TAG MATCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
So who wants to own a MITB replica briefcase?

• Locked thread