Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Drain it cold, put new oil in it, ride to the next interval. Your new oil will then take only 0.5 seconds to turn black as opposed to the customary 3 seconds.

As far as checking it, yeah, check it how the manual recommends. Once you've got it at the right level hot, let the bike sit until cold and check it again so you know the difference between hot and cold. On mine the difference is "see it on the dipstick" vs "doesn't look like there's any oil".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Guys, my Honda Hornet 600 is loud. The past few weeks have have had ice-free roads, so I've been using it as a daily commuter for the first time. Last night, I noticed an annoying ringing in my ears. It's actually still sticking around a bit this morning. I definitely don't want it to get any worse. I've taken good care of my hearing up until now, and would like to continue hearing things. The commute from my house to work is only about 2-3 miles at 40mph max, so I'd hate to think what would happen to my hearing if I did some serious riding.

I use these earplugs on every ride. I put in the gold filters, which are supposed to cut 18.8 to 22.0 db.

Here's a picture of the exhaust pipe. It doesn't look stock, but I have no idea what kind it is. The previous owner was pretty lovely. I had to fix the bike up a bit. Maybe they put on an obnoxious pipe?

What do you guys think? New earplugs, new exhaust, or is a new bike in order?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Professor Wayne posted:

Guys, my Honda Hornet 600 is loud. The past few weeks have have had ice-free roads, so I've been using it as a daily commuter for the first time. Last night, I noticed an annoying ringing in my ears. It's actually still sticking around a bit this morning. I definitely don't want it to get any worse. I've taken good care of my hearing up until now, and would like to continue hearing things. The commute from my house to work is only about 2-3 miles at 40mph max, so I'd hate to think what would happen to my hearing if I did some serious riding.

I use these earplugs on every ride. I put in the gold filters, which are supposed to cut 18.8 to 22.0 db.

Here's a picture of the exhaust pipe. It doesn't look stock, but I have no idea what kind it is. The previous owner was pretty lovely. I had to fix the bike up a bit. Maybe they put on an obnoxious pipe?

Buy foam earplugs which are designed to attenuate the gently caress out of everything. Musicians' earplugs are for music and as such are designed to let much more sound through. Then get a new exhaust for your bike because you're probably pissing off everyone you ride by as well.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Well right off the bat, don't use those earplugs, 18-22 dB is laughably low NRR. Get some cheap foam Hearos at the drug store, they're 32 dB NRR (the decibel scale is logarithmic, so 32 dB orders of magnitude more noise reduction than 22 dB). A 10 dB difference in noise is the difference between normal road noise in a car on the freeway with the windows rolled up (85dB) and standing a couple yards from a jackhammer (95dB).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Obviously buy a new bike. Never pass up an opportunity to buy a new bike.

Or new earplugs, I guess. But also a new bike!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Well right off the bat, don't use those earplugs, 18-22 dB is laughably low NRR. Get some cheap foam Hearos at the drug store, they're 32 dB NRR (the decibel scale is logarithmic, so 32 dB orders of magnitude more noise reduction than 22 dB). A 10 dB difference in noise is the difference between normal road noise in a car on the freeway with the windows rolled up (85dB) and standing a couple yards from a jackhammer (95dB).

Yeah, I got a box of like 40 Mack's from a local Walgreens for $6 and they cut down the volume by about 33dB. They are the little beige foam ones. Get something like that and if you really need to remind yourself to wear them Bikemaster sells a little metal case for earplugs that you can put on your keychain.

Or if you want music buy some Etymotic headphones. They cut down dB by a ridiculous amount while playing music!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I just ordered some Hearos Extreme protection foam earplugs, so hopefully that will make things better when they come in tomorrow.

I was always self-conscious about my bike's sound. For the first few months I had it, I asked my friends if I was annoyingly loud or if they could hear me pull up to their house. They all said it didn't sound that loud, so I figured it was just me. I will still look into something quieter, though. I'm not comfortable being a loud hooligan.

New bike will come later. Maybe in a year or two.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
As much a forum question as a bike question. I have an old beater, a 98 Intruder, that is broke to hell and I can't afford to fix it. I know nothing at all about mechanical poo poo but I've got youtube and a willing spirit, so I think I am going to try to fix the drat thing myself. Project time here we go! So, to you all then, where do I start? What are the best resources? Can/would people here comment on and assist with the project, and would its own thread be recommended, or continue to post here?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

WerrWaaa posted:

As much a forum question as a bike question. I have an old beater, a 98 Intruder, that is broke to hell and I can't afford to fix it. I know nothing at all about mechanical poo poo but I've got youtube and a willing spirit, so I think I am going to try to fix the drat thing myself. Project time here we go! So, to you all then, where do I start? What are the best resources? Can/would people here comment on and assist with the project, and would its own thread be recommended, or continue to post here?

Depends what is wrong with it. I think most people here would be happy to answer your questions and help you in this thread, but if the rebuild is some absolutely massive project it might be more convenient to start a dedicated thread for your bike.

What is wrong with your bike?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Professor Wayne posted:

I have the same bike with a Leo Vince exhaust and it's obnoxiously loud too. If I don't wear earplugs, my ears physically hurt anytime it's over 8k rpm.

I use these ear buds and they block the sound pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K...=shure+ear+buds

Those disposable foam earplugs work well too but I can't remember the name right now. If you get a good seal they don't let much sound in. I considered replacing my exhaust but the stock one looks dorky and I don't feel like spending the money to buy it. Also I do like how it sounds in tunnels :3

M42
Nov 12, 2012

If you have smaller ears like mine, try moldex purafit. Same sound rating as hearos, they just have a narrower shape. Also, you can get 200 individually wrapped pairs for like $20 on amazon.

I forgot my plugs the first time I rode the SV (it was city streets, not even highway). Couldn't hear well for a few hours afterwards.

Are you riding the hornet regularly yet?!?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not regularly just yet...had some unforeseen things to work out these past few weekends. I'm going to try to get new tires and chain this weekend though. Once that's done I'll be good to go.

How is the SV treating you?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Not riding it regularly, either. Still trying to figure out the speedo and some small things (tighten the chain), but once it's done... :unsmigghh:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Professor Wayne posted:

Maybe they put on an obnoxious pipe?

A shot of the opening might be more informative, as there could be evidence of a hack job baffle removal. Either way, a replacement stock pipe is probably in order. I don't know about this model, but they're generally cheap and easy to come by since all those V&H, Two Brothers, and Akra sales generate a stock in a box somewhere in the back of a garage.

Ear plugs don't address root cause, and thinking back to my days with Freedom (TM) pipes, I was so self-conscious I would roll out on cold mornings well before the bike was properly warmed up, which isn't good. You might also consider helmet fit, as a snug liner will take the harsh edges off of exhaust noise.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Marv Hushman posted:

A shot of the opening might be more informative, as there could be evidence of a hack job baffle removal. Either way, a replacement stock pipe is probably in order. I don't know about this model, but they're generally cheap and easy to come by since all those V&H, Two Brothers, and Akra sales generate a stock in a box somewhere in the back of a garage.

Ear plugs don't address root cause, and thinking back to my days with Freedom (TM) pipes, I was so self-conscious I would roll out on cold mornings well before the bike was properly warmed up, which isn't good. You might also consider helmet fit, as a snug liner will take the harsh edges off of exhaust noise.

That looks an awful lot like the "universal" slip-ons they used to at sell at Whitney. The baffles (if you could call them that) were notorious for flying out of the pipe with a vigorous application of throttle.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody ever deal with Honda financing? I'm trying to justify buying a Grom and taking out a note on it just so that I can keep some money in my bank account. Probably try to take out 2k and pay it off within a year. My credit's OK, the other option is to just pick up a 0% APR CC and do that. :v:

Notes: I've had a Honda Passport, haven't taken the MSF, and don't have an M endorsement or any gear. Pls be brutal.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Phone posted:

Anybody ever deal with Honda financing? I'm trying to justify buying a Grom and taking out a note on it just so that I can keep some money in my bank account. Probably try to take out 2k and pay it off within a year. My credit's OK, the other option is to just pick up a 0% APR CC and do that. :v:

Notes: I've had a Honda Passport, haven't taken the MSF, and don't have an M endorsement or any gear. Pls be brutal.

Buy a used bike instead.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Phone posted:

I won't say that you should necessarily buy a used bike, but I am curious why you're interested in a brand new Grom as a first bike? Are you under 5'?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Phone posted:

I bought a $8000 vstar on a credit card, not financially ruined, ymmv.

I'm not one to discourage stupid decisions, so get the Grom. But also at least take the safety class.

vvv thanks, Rich Dad.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 2, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Phone posted:

This is a stupid financial decision. Instead, save up the money over the next year and buy in cash while still keeping money in your bank account. During the period in which you are saving you can do things like (1) take the MSF, (2) get an M endorsement, (3) get some gear, (4) rent some bikes and ride them around so that you have some idea of what you like, (5) read about motorcycles on the internet so you have some idea of what other people think you should like, and (6) not be a fuckwit about money.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Chichevache posted:

Are you under 5'?

Groms are cool, even if you're a hulking 5'10" juggernaut like myself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

builds character posted:

This is a stupid financial decision. Instead, save up the money over the next year and buy in cash while still keeping money in your bank account. During the period in which you are saving you can do things like (1) take the MSF, (2) get an M endorsement, (3) get some gear, (4) rent some bikes and ride them around so that you have some idea of what you like, (5) read about motorcycles on the internet so you have some idea of what other people think you should like, and (6) not be a fuckwit about money.

I've ridden around on a few dirt bikes, a Ninja 250, and a Trail 90. I'm not 100% new to two wheeled stuff.

I'm interested in slow as hell motorcycles/scooters that are goofy and fun. The Honda dealer in the next town over is selling them for 2780 vs a local dealer who is trying to sell them for 3100 with 200 miles on it. Ninjas are around 2k or so with a few thousand miles, and SVs are about the same with mileage into the 10-20k range.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Phone posted:

I've ridden around on a few dirt bikes, a Ninja 250, and a Trail 90. I'm not 100% new to two wheeled stuff.

I'm interested in slow as hell motorcycles/scooters that are goofy and fun. The Honda dealer in the next town over is selling them for 2780 vs a local dealer who is trying to sell them for 3100 with 200 miles on it. Ninjas are around 2k or so with a few thousand miles, and SVs are about the same with mileage into the 10-20k range.

During the period in which you are saving you can do things like (1) take the MSF, (2) get an M endorsement, (3) get some gear, (4) rent some bikes and ride them around so that you have some idea of what you like, (5) read about motorcycles on the internet so you have some idea of what other people think you should like, and (6) not be a fuckwit about money.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phone posted:

Buy Korwen's NInja 650 and call it good.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Z3n posted:

I may be taking a road trip in a few weeks. Just sayin, things can be arranged.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Z3n posted:

No.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm gonna be crashing at his place soon enough, so I can crash his 650 without having ownership if I really wanted. :v:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Phone posted:

Anybody ever deal with Honda financing?

I've financed a car through them and had zero issues. But don't finance a motorcycle dude.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

NeuralSpark posted:

But don't finance a motorcycle dude.

Yeah, motorcycle dudes are notoriously unreliable.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NeuralSpark posted:

I've financed a car through them and had zero issues. But don't finance a motorcycle dude.

You're not my real dad. Also did you disappear off of FB?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

Yeah, motorcycle dudes are notoriously unreliable.

:saddowns:

Phone posted:

You're not my real dad. Also did you disappear off of FB?

Yes, and life is better because of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phone posted:

I'm gonna be crashing at his place soon enough, so I can crash his 650 without having ownership if I really wanted. :v:

Say hi for me :)

But honestly, find something a little cheaper and more usable - GS500 is a good, pretty reliable, cheap choice, that you should be able to easily get for under 2k. With minimal wrenching, you'll have a perfectly good, reliable starter bike.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Z3n posted:

Say hi for me :)

But honestly, find something a little cheaper and more usable - GS500 is a good, pretty reliable, cheap choice, that you should be able to easily get for under 2k. With minimal wrenching, you'll have a perfectly good, reliable starter bike.

I had a Ninja 250 for a while, so... Yeah. I understand that I said be brutal, and I'm just reaffirming my love of cheap, slow Hondas.

MSF is on the 1st. :getin:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phone posted:

I had a Ninja 250 for a while, so... Yeah. I understand that I said be brutal, and I'm just reaffirming my love of cheap, slow Hondas.

MSF is on the 1st. :getin:

Look, don't get me wrong, Groms are great toys, but they're also really lovely motorcycles. If your commuting is exclusively commuting in a city at up to 45mph, you'll have a blast on it, but anything over 45 and you're gonna have a bad time in the long run.

If you want a cheap, slow Honda, find a crashed CBR300 :)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

Groms are cool, even if you're a hulking 5'10" juggernaut like myself.

I'm 6' and I want one. I just don't know why anyone would pick it as their primary, you know?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chichevache posted:

I'm 6' and I want one. I just don't know why anyone would pick it as their primary, you know?

I have 1.25 race cars and a Mazda2 for Dr that's being replaced with a 2016 Miata. Most of the time I commute on 45mph streets into work since traffic on the freeway slows to a crawl.

I'm looking to use it to putt around town, commute one day a week, and use it for pit bike duty up at VIR.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Phone posted:

I have 1.25 race cars and a Mazda2 for Dr that's being replaced with a 2016 Miata. Most of the time I commute on 45mph streets into work since traffic on the freeway slows to a crawl.

I'm looking to use it to putt around town, commute one day a week, and use it for pit bike duty up at VIR.

A Miata and a Grom in the same garage would be.... adorable? Cute? I'm not sure what word I'm looking for.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chichevache posted:

A Miata and a Grom in the same garage would be.... adorable? Cute? I'm not sure what word I'm looking for.

Moé. https://youtu.be/kvzyYQ1FL_g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Phone posted:

Or you could just buy an XR100, right now, for cash