Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Segmentation Fault posted:

lmao he was the guy that claimed that Carmack was misogynistic but couldn't turn up any proof of that

He also posted that E4M2 was just a worse version of The Inmost Dens. hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

I think we need to all take a deep breath and get our minds back on track.

Hissy! :3:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Alain Post posted:

I mean, I rather like The Inmost Dens, but I don't really agree Perfect Hatred is anything like it

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, much grumping as there is around BD, I just realized an advantage to it having fully internalized sprites now: It should be compatible with a lot of maps that have slight sprite changes of their own. Stuff like recolored imps. Might even behave well with Back To Saturn X.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think it's cool to have blank slates that aren't white dudes because "white dude" being the Default Human is lovely but blank slate characters in general are not great writing, these are not incompatible points

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This smilie needs to be Doomified so that he busts back out of the door because a cyberdemon was in there impse, or something.

FIFY

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I think it's cool to have blank slates that aren't white dudes because "white dude" being the Default Human is lovely but blank slate characters in general are not great writing, these are not incompatible points

Quit having nuanced views, this is the internet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alain Post posted:

I'm a girl.

And I think they're pretty similar, very tough and tricky play with lots of restricted movement on narrow ledges. Perfect Hatred is very myopic and single-minded; The Inmost Dens expands into a malevolent sense of space and better narrative without losing the tension or focus.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Hmm, no.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Arivia posted:

I'm a girl.

And I think they're pretty similar, very tough and tricky play with lots of restricted movement on narrow ledges. Perfect Hatred is very myopic and single-minded; The Inmost Dens expands into a malevolent sense of space and better narrative without losing the tension or focus.

No?

edit: yeah definitely no

Inmost Dens isn't about narrow ledges or movement restriction at all and isn't really comparable to Perfect Hatred

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Wait poo poo sorry I got my level names mixed up. I meant The Living End literally every time I said the Inmost Dens. MAP14 is not the same nor as good as E4M2.

e: and then I hosed up again!

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

How is anything he's saying worthy of the moniker "shithead?" Making a character that's just a blank slate is incredibly poor characterization, and I imagine early FPS fans would be incredibly aware of this.

Prisoner 849 from Unreal is a woman, and is also a blank slate (beyond "was present on a prison barge that crashed on Na Pali"). Does that mean that 849 is an example of good female video game characters? Hell no! We know barely more about Doomguy or Gordon Freeman, and the amount of characterization that goes into them went into Bella Swan.

Blank slate characters definitely have their place in gaming, but claiming a blank slate character that happens to be a woman is an example of good writing is just patently false.

Extreme Islamophobia aside (since what he said is equivalent to "Islamic women aren't real people" because of the Burka statement; I guess they should be counted as property according to American McGee?) he's failing to realize that while the character is a "blank slate" they are still closer to what people who aren't cishet white guys can relate to. Sure, they may be just pixels on a screen, but they're pixels on a screen that are more relateable to the player than 99.99% of other (universally cishet white male) videogame characters.

Takes No Damage posted:

Sgt. MarkIV talking about BDv20 (saying April 24 or May 1 for a release now):
You guys were right, this kid is a loving monster :mad:

It's par the course for a White Brazilian like Sgt. Mark IV; having lived in South Florida for much of my life and met several in that time I can attest that White Brazilians are all colonialist garbage and literally the most racist people on the entire planet. The state of classism and ethnic division in Brazil is basically Apartheid and Caste system rolled into one. All White Brazilians need to be lined up in front a ditch and shot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmao

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

scroton_ posted:

All White Brazilians need to be lined up in front a ditch and shot.pk3

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:siren: THREAD RESET :siren:

---------

So anyone here have Jedi Knight 1 from Gog? If so, how is it on modern systems? I'm thinking of picking it up as the Steam version is pretty lazy - there's no music at all, and the game switches to a desktop window every time a movie plays.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
GOG version probably isn't much better since the game is barely functional and closed source as gently caress.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

scroton_ posted:

It's par the course for a White Brazilian like Sgt. Mark IV; having lived in South Florida for much of my life and met several in that time I can attest that White Brazilians are all colonialist garbage and literally the most racist people on the entire planet. The state of classism and ethnic division in Brazil is basically Apartheid and Caste system rolled into one. All White Brazilians need to be lined up in front a ditch and shot.

Hell,

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

my favourite daikatana thing is still the fake loading screens.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Spear: End of Destiny was awesome, save for a few weird levels in the middle of the mapset. Great final level, too. IT was neat to see the abandoned Rise of the Triad concepts used here, like the gun turret and rocket lawnchair.

Convex posted:

:siren: THREAD RESET :siren:

:laffo:

FirstPersonShitter posted:

my favourite daikatana thing is still the fake loading screens.

Okay WHAT? :psyduck:

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

Okay WHAT?
The loading screens had a counter that would increase whilst making an obnoxious TIC-TOC-TIC-TOC noise. The game won't proceed until that counter reaches the end, so basically even though nowadays we could load a level in that game near instantly you would still have to wait for the counter to finish before you could play it.

To be...'fair' to Daikatana some games still pull this poo poo nowadays. I remember Mass Effect 2 had loading screen videos and the game would wait for them to finish before putting you back ingame even if you loaded the level in a couple of seconds.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Jblade posted:

The loading screens had a counter that would increase whilst making an obnoxious TIC-TOC-TIC-TOC noise. The game won't proceed until that counter reaches the end, so basically even though nowadays we could load a level in that game near instantly you would still have to wait for the counter to finish before you could play it.

To be...'fair' to Daikatana some games still pull this poo poo nowadays. I remember Mass Effect 2 had loading screen videos and the game would wait for them to finish before putting you back ingame even if you loaded the level in a couple of seconds.

Nothing like a streamlined experience!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
That only happens if you have v-sync enabled. Disabling it makes it load very quickly.

1.3 removes the sound, which gets rid of the problem. In 1.3, it loads in a second or so.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Hi I swear this will be over soon but until then feel free to vote again

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The terrible LP videos are a nice touch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really love how you've managed to verbally poo poo all over each of the levels. :golfclap:

"These levels were the top voted... gently caress 'em!"

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I've finally bought Outlaws on GOG, and to put it short, it's awesome to finally play the full thing and see how the various pieces I remember from magazines connect into full game. Interestingly, the UFO secret is in the first mission, and not the second, as in demo.
Anyone knows what the pen does? Outside of writing a note in guestbook at Stan's Used Coffin Store? :v:
Too bad the whole thing seems to be forced to work with Direct3D filters, so clouds look absolutely horrible and sprites are washed, but alas, probably using the D3D made the whole thing possible to run.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

laserghost posted:

I've finally bought Outlaws on GOG, and to put it short, it's awesome to finally play the full thing and see how the various pieces I remember from magazines connect into full game. Interestingly, the UFO secret is in the first mission, and not the second, as in demo.
Anyone knows what the pen does? Outside of writing a note in guestbook at Stan's Used Coffin Store? :v:
Too bad the whole thing seems to be forced to work with Direct3D filters, so clouds look absolutely horrible and sprites are washed, but alas, probably using the D3D made the whole thing possible to run.
Check the room with the coffins after signing the guestbook.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

*Clicks on the April Agitation MAP29 video*

:yikes:

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

The terrible LP videos are a nice touch.

This alone is worth it

edit: "kill the potato and the tomato"

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 3, 2015

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

E2M2 is one of my least favorite levels in all of Doom and that lil blurb really nails down why, gently caress the crate maze and the crate maze trend it inspired in Doom mapping and gently caress the rest of the boring non-memorable level.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

closeted republican posted:

That only happens if you have v-sync enabled. Disabling it makes it load very quickly.

1.3 removes the sound, which gets rid of the problem. In 1.3, it loads in a second or so.

I dunno, I'm running 1.3 and it still makes me sit through the friggin loading screen. If I alt-tab and go back in it loads instantly, but that has problems of its own. if i disable v-sync i get tearing all over the place.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

So I got Outlaws, and I can't get it to launch in Glide mode at all. DirectX mode works well enough, though the automap is completely unusable.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

lmao he was the guy that claimed that Carmack was misogynistic but couldn't turn up any proof of that

Well, we know he's a virulent racist, so misogyny isn't such a huge leap.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Well, we know he's a virulent racist, so misogyny isn't such a huge leap.
He sent his cat off to certain death because BEEP BOOP!
SHE'S GOING DOWN TO CHINATOWN!

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'd rather play Plutonia than E2M2.

There is something very boring and poo poo about that map that makes me autopilot it every time I'm on it.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Casimir Radon posted:

Check the room with the coffins after signing the guestbook.

:doh: good one.
Also only just noticed, that during the gameplay, if you press esc and put the cursor on the "exit" option, it plays the chicken sound.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I actually rather like E2M2. I mean, the box maze is kinda eh (I can only imagine "top men" designed that room), but the back half of the map has some memorable moments - like the hall of crushers with the room hidden next to one that you can only run into when the crushers are lifting.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I hadn't really thought about what my favourite Doom map is before, but this whole thing really has me set on E1M5. It really is a perfectly crafted map.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

How bad is N64 Daikatana? I'm tempted to buy it off of eBay and play it, but only if it's particularly remarkably bad in some way. Other than the obvious problem of being Daikatana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well it's levels are cut up even worse, it's uglier, and it has an awful control scheme. I don't think it has the AI partners though, so it balances out.