Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Numlock posted:

Austin is a text book case of some place that gets trendy for some reason and is immediately flooded by idiots who ruin whatever made the place trendy to begin with.

This is quite accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Numlock posted:

Austin is a text book case of some place that gets trendy for some reason and is immediately flooded by idiots who ruin whatever made the place trendy to begin with.

Yup

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Numlock posted:

Charleston is another example of this, but replace 'idiots' with 'Ohioans.'

Actually, in many cases, they are interchangeable.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LeeMajors posted:

Charleston is another example of this, but replace 'idiots' with 'Ohioans.'

Actually, in many cases, they are interchangeable.

Austin started with Ohioans who were mostly alright. Things really started to get lovely when the California people came in after 2007 or so.

Before then it was mostly midwestern people kind of having a good time and marveling about how it was a nice place and they were happy to be there. After that it was nothing but table after table at my local bar full of people talking about how "this is alright but the food/beer/service in CA was so much better" etc etc

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That Works posted:

people talking about how "this is alright but the food/beer/service in CA was so much better" etc etc

gently caress these people so much. I see them everywhere and it's the goddamn worst.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

gently caress these people so much. I see them everywhere and it's the goddamn worst.

they're probably right tho

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

they're probably right tho

Well yeah my favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Toledo probably doesn't come close to some incredible hidden gem in LA but being a dick about it when you're visiting isn't gonna make the food any better.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

That Works posted:

Austin started with Ohioans who were mostly alright. Things really started to get lovely when the California people came in after 2007 or so.

Before then it was mostly midwestern people kind of having a good time and marveling about how it was a nice place and they were happy to be there. After that it was nothing but table after table at my local bar full of people talking about how "this is alright but the food/beer/service in CA was so much better" etc etc

Yeah, the influx of people moving here from CA and NY in search of a lower cost of living and jobs during the recession is when Austin started blowing up, drastically increasing the cost of living. Recently bought a house, but holy gently caress, anything worth a drat gets up to like, 20 offers, some cash from out of town buyers.

I could go on and on, but poo poo is changing, and in the midst of it, it's hard to know whether or not for the better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Neil Armbong posted:

Yeah, the influx of people moving here from CA and NY in search of a lower cost of living and jobs during the recession is when Austin started blowing up, drastically increasing the cost of living. Recently bought a house, but holy gently caress, anything worth a drat gets up to like, 20 offers, some cash from out of town buyers.

I could go on and on, but poo poo is changing, and in the midst of it, it's hard to know whether or not for the better.

I lived there from 2005 to 2011 and come back to visit once a year. I think it's gotten a lot worse personally. I loved it when I was there but I'm 100% certain I wouldn't move back even with a good job offer. The traffic alone (which was bad when I left) is now so bad that it just makes doing much of anything hugely problematic.

To avoid too much of a derail, UT hired Shaka Smart from VCU for basketball so now we have Coach Strong and Coach Smart. Waiting for some horrible athletic department posters to show up.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Wait, who ever heads to California for the beer? What kind of special hell that must be.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

Wait, who ever heads to California for the beer? What kind of special hell that must be.

Uh, tons of people :confused:

Just San Diego alone has more good craft breweries than most states.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
And the Nor Cal brewing scene is nothing to sneeze at, either.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Crotch Bat posted:

Yeah CA is one of the best, if not the best, beer states in the country. San Diego County has 100+ breweries alone and a lot of them are really good nation brands like Stone or Ballast Point.

Honestly now that I live in SD I am so spoiled for beer. Dive bars there have better selections usually than "beer bars" back home in VA.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

drunk leprechaun posted:

Yeah CA is one of the best, if not the best, beer states in the country. San Diego County has 100+ breweries alone and a lot of them are really good nation brands like Stone or Ballast Point.

Honestly now that I live in SD I am so spoiled for beer. Dive bars there have better selections usually than "beer bars" back home in VA.

I'd argue Washington, Colorado, and Oregon are bigger/better, especially taken as a proportion of size/population. Cali has more total production, but is pretty middle of the pack in per capita terms. On the other hand the (actually local) football is atrocious comparatively. :v:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Ehud posted:

I'm going to miss the Will Muschamp Gators. I love really bad personal fouls :911:

It is always fun watching a defense get rolled on by another team and finally getting to the point of just fouling people non stop

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, uh, remember how I said Baylor was putting that 410 pound fullback at Tight End this season? Apparently that's a lie.

Briles is saying that he's actually going to be playing slot receiver.

http://baylor.247sports.com/Bolt/McGowans-not-a-tight-end-hes-a-slot-receiver--36521083

quote:

“When we get into games, he’ll play slot,” Briles told Tim Griffin of San Antonio Express News. “He is a slot, but we’re not playing him there [instead playing him at Tight End] this spring to protect our other players, basically.”

I'm going to be so psyched if this works out and so sad if he only gets like two catches.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

I think the time kinda gets lost on me sometimes but that is an insane amount of time to have a winning streak over your rival(in modern era football on two teams on fairly even ground). If VT beats UVA this year they will have held the Commonwealth Cup for over 4,000 days.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That just reminded me of how Iowa had a 16 game winning streak against ISU from the early 80s to the late 90s.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I didn't believe Deadwood but sure enough. drat that's a long time.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

That just reminded me of how Iowa had a 16 game winning streak against ISU from the early 80s to the late 90s.

15 years, but yeah. I didn't see Iowa lose to Iowa State until I was 12 years old. It was traumatic. First Iowa game I saw live!

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 3, 2015

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Grittybeard posted:

I didn't believe Deadwood but sure enough. drat that's a long time.

I had this same reaction with Pimp My Ride

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, uh, remember how I said Baylor was putting that 410 pound fullback at Tight End this season? Apparently that's a lie.

Briles is saying that he's actually going to be playing slot receiver.

http://baylor.247sports.com/Bolt/McGowans-not-a-tight-end-hes-a-slot-receiver--36521083

I'm going to be so psyched if this works out and so sad if he only gets like two catches.

Baylor ruling pretty hard right now

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Seeing Kansas State in this thread does me good, especially since it's not bad news.

Being a K-State fan this time of year is an exercise in stony patience, because no one is going to hear poo poo about K-State football for the next four months.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MourningView posted:

Uh, tons of people :confused:

Just San Diego alone has more good craft breweries than most states.

It is my dream to visit Stone in San Diego one day.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

nate fisher posted:

It is my dream to visit Stone in San Diego one day.

They aren't even close to the best brewery down there in terms of beer quality (I'm partial to AleSmith) but it's probably the best one to visit.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Football related because it has the Rock in it and he aged for DA U but I got IMAX tickets to Furious 7 tonight and I'm ready to turn my brain off and embrace the chaos.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Strobe posted:

Seeing Kansas State in this thread does me good, especially since it's not bad news.

Being a K-State fan this time of year is an exercise in stony patience, because no one is going to hear poo poo about K-State football for the next four months.

How are you feeling about this year, anyway? I know Snyder's a magician and all, but boy from the outside the cupboard seems pretty bare this year, especially on offense.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm loving terrified. Only the knowledge that Coach Snyder is a magic wizard from another time keeps me from panicking really bad.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

That Works posted:

To avoid too much of a derail, UT hired Shaka Smart from VCU for basketball so now we have Coach Strong and Coach Smart. Waiting for some horrible athletic department posters to show up.

Upcoming coaching additions for Texas: Mark Fast, Women's Softball and Tom Skilled, Men's Swimming.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

15 years, but yeah. I didn't see Iowa lose to Iowa State until I was 12 years old. It was traumatic. First Iowa game I saw live!

A lot of stuff makes sense now.

Tell me where the bird touched you. This is a safe place.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am happy about some of the "let's go back to this" changes (no more stupid uniforms, but keep Atomic Dog forever)

Obviously posting that news HERE was the worst possible idea.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was deeply impacted by having to watch the first ever loss to Indiana and a once in a generation loss to Maryland in the same year.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Bo Scarbrough injured his knee in Alabama's first scrimmage because goddammit nothing else was left to go wrong I guess.

Our team this year is going to be Derrick Henry in the wildcat behind 10 walk-ons.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Raku posted:

Bo Scarbrough injured his knee in Alabama's first scrimmage because goddammit nothing else was left to go wrong I guess.

Our team this year is going to be Derrick Henry in the wildcat behind 10 walk-ons.

So can UGA beat you guys because that's all I really care about

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KKKLIP ART posted:

So can UGA beat you guys because that's all I really care about

Not while we have future Heisman winner JK Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtk_6RttVC8

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Raku posted:

Not while we have future Heisman winner JK Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtk_6RttVC8

I want it to be true. He kicked some serious rear end during that Ohio State game.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Strobe posted:

I want it to be true. He kicked some serious rear end during that Ohio State game.

I just want to know why we don't have him doing field goals when his high school coach was sending him in at 72 yards

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Raku posted:

I just want to know why we don't have him doing field goals when his high school coach was sending him in at 72 yards

:stare:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Did you see his kickoff stats in the beginning of the video

44 kickoff attempts

43 touchbacks (you can see him just knocking them out of the stadium and through the uprights for his own amusement)

1 successful onsides kick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Raku posted:

Did you see his kickoff stats in the beginning of the video

44 kickoff attempts

43 touchbacks (you can see him just knocking them out of the stadium and through the uprights for his own amusement)

1 successful onsides kick

To be fair, they use different kicking tees in high school that are higher and let the kicker get their foot more under the ball than they do in college, don't they?

• Locked thread