Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
What is that man doing to his tachyon device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Wait so what timeline is Arrow in now? It must be 3 (the one the flash it currently in)?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bandanna posted:

As much as my imagination is going wild, giving Batman some sort of big boy powers like the GL ring or speed force even for just one story would be entertaining as hell.

Batman has already been GL and superman (and superman as a GL). Let someone else get a new power set for once

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xelkelvos posted:

Batman has already been GL and superman (and superman as a GL). Let someone else get a new power set for once

During Blackest Night quite a few heroes (and villains) got power rings of various corps to help combat the Black Lantern Corps, made up of every living creature that ever died, including quite a few superhuman ones - all with their own black rings to make them even more powerful.

Above are Flash with a blue ring for hope, Mera (Aquaman's wife) with a red ring for rage, Lex Luthor with an orange ring for greed, Scarecrow with a yellow ring for fear, Wonder Woman with purple/violet for love and who I assume is the Atom with indigo for compassion. I think Wonder Woman would have made more sense to be compassion rather than love, though that's based only on reading Gail Simone's run and I'm not terribly familiar with the character outside that. It still happened in the then mainline comics. I assume it's been retconned since with the new 52, but if it happened there it's probably happened other times even in the regular comics too.

Batman had been sent back to the past at the time and wasn't around to receive one, black, green or otherwise.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 4, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Yeah basically everyone caught that the instant it appeared and we all decided as a group that nobody on the show would allow that so it was something Tom Cavanaugh did on his own that everybody missed.

That's the goon hive-opinion so learn it. live it.

It was foreshadowing - reverse flash really likes fisting people to death.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

ambushsabre posted:

Wait so what timeline is Arrow in now? It must be 3 (the one the flash it currently in)?

Arrow exists in whatever time line is most likely the final time line. Basically, if we end up on a 6th time line, then that's going to be the one Arrow is in. We know it's not the original, because Barry became the flash 6 years too early for that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ambushsabre posted:

Yeah, Arrow's in TL3.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Arrow exists in whatever time line is most likely the final time line. Basically, if we end up on a 6th time line, then that's going to be the one Arrow is in. We know it's not the original, because Barry became the flash 6 years too early for that.

Basically this.

The interesting point about TL2-3 Barry as the Flash is that he IS younger and less mature than TL1 Barry presumably was. Which actually gets shown on screen quite well, since Barry's emotional, impulsive, and lacks discipline. Presuming he still exists and wasn't just absorbed by Barry as a child, it'd be interesting to see how they play TL1 Barry. Is he still basically the same quick to act slow to think Flash we know and love, or has he got more self-control? How important were those six extra years?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The original timeline Flash might have been entirely different given that he presumably didn't grow up obsessed with finding his mother's killer (since she probably didn't die in mysterious circumstances during that timeline) and chasing down any weird tales in the hopes of finding a man in the lightning.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

tsob posted:

Stuff like that annoys me a bit. Bobby spent years learning to use his powers, then Emma Frost is in his body for five minutes and does stuff that makes him look like a chump. It'd be one thing if it was some kind of omnipotent being in his body that showed he was still learning and could do much more - but just having another regular human (or mutant) kind of undercuts all the work he put in to learning to master his powers. It doesn't even make her look smart or adaptable, it just makes Bobby look lazy or stupid.

I think the point of the story was that Booby was being intellectually lazy. He'd settled on an idea of how his powers work as "I make ice" without thinking that what it really means is "I can the control condensation and temperature of liquids." Including the liquids that make up his own body. Or those in YOUR body, for that matter. Which makes sense, since Bobby has always been the goofball of the original team and the least likely to really think about how his powers work rather than accepting his own mental model.

What the story really shows is that Emma Frost is a much better teacher than Charles Xavier was.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The thing is it takes most mutants months to get a basic grasp of how to use their new powers and years to master them. Emma managed it in a completely new body with completely new powers in the space of a few hours, which is like a paraplegic learning to walk in a few hours when they get bionic legs - it's just not going to happen and it undercuts the actual effort taken by the other character. Yea, Iceman is a doofus, but he did put some actual effort in and it did take time to get to where he was. If she was in control for months a la Superior Spider-man it'd be one thing, happening over night is another and while I understand it's just narrative short hand it still bugs me a little.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Batman was given a ring by Hal Jordan as "therapy", to get over his parents murder. Here's how that unfolded.

His unwillingness to get over his parents aside, during his first use of the ring he was able to conjure up a swarm of bats and his parents. Green Arrow tried to use the ring once and all he could muster up was a single arrow, and that took everything he had. He was exhausted afterwards. So a batman with a power ring should not be underestimated. He actually got offered a yellow power ring. It was searching earth for the scariest mother fucker it could find, and went for Batman. Batmans willpower overpowered the ring though, and it went searching for another candidate.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was presumably conflating the Batman and Green Arrow events then, and yea, I remembered it coming across a lot better in the comic than I was describing it and that does. It still seems pretty silly that he can't let go if it twenty odd years later, but there's far worse ways to explain why Batman doesn't have a ring.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tsob posted:

I was presumably conflating the Batman and Green Arrow events then, and yea, I remembered it coming across a lot better in the comic than I was describing it and that does. It still seems pretty silly that he can't let go if it twenty odd years later, but there's far worse ways to explain why Batman doesn't have a ring.

Considering Batman has built his entire life around abstractly avenging his parents, I guess it's not too difficult to believe he'd have trouble letting go of an idea central to that whole mess.

On a somewhat related note, I started watching Batman Beyond recently, on recommendations from this thread. Although I was (and remain) a huge BTAS fan in my teens when it first ran, I never really got into Beyond because I developed this preconception at the time, perhaps aided by a teenage hero, that the tone was more adolescent. Boy was I wrong. Maybe half a season in, and this show is exploring all sorts of adult themes. On top of this, the episode 'Shriek' produced what is now my favorite Batman exchange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceca1JCRQbA&t=10s

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 4, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tsob posted:

The thing is it takes most mutants months to get a basic grasp of how to use their new powers and years to master them. Emma managed it in a completely new body with completely new powers in the space of a few hours, which is like a paraplegic learning to walk in a few hours when they get bionic legs - it's just not going to happen and it undercuts the actual effort taken by the other character. Yea, Iceman is a doofus, but he did put some actual effort in and it did take time to get to where he was. If she was in control for months a la Superior Spider-man it'd be one thing, happening over night is another and while I understand it's just narrative short hand it still bugs me a little.

She's a telepath. She can take his knowledge of how to use them as a starting point.

She also has the ability to telepathically unlock mutant potential. It's even frequently one of her powers in the video games she appears in.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

He actually does get over his parents death, eventually. Has a little thing with his son where they talk about it and everything.

Of course, two issues later damian dies, and bats is back on square one.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Now, Dan Dorian truly is the mightiest pinkbellyer in all the lands.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Xelkelvos posted:

So a couple years back, IDW wanted to a crossover with DC that DC turned down.

This was one of their pitch images:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Eh, Batman with a lantern ring doesn't look all that impressive to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckBoZ1ye8sA

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Polaron posted:

I just peed a little.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Polaron posted:

God dammit DC.

Okay admittedly figuring out the setting could be a little tricky, but still! Who would turn down this crossover, considering everything else they've apparently gone and happily accepted?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Polaron posted:

Going to buck the trend and say that would have been so dumb as to redefine dumb for posterity.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Schway.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Habibi posted:

Going to buck the trend and say that would have been so dumb as to redefine dumb for posterity.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't have made for some incredible splash panels.

Astro Nut posted:

God dammit DC.

Okay admittedly figuring out the setting could be a little tricky, but still! Who would turn down this crossover, considering everything else they've apparently gone and happily accepted?

Honestly, it would have been tricky from a rights issue since last I checked Hasbro tends to end up with Marvel.

Still, what could have been.

Yes, that is the Batplane and Wonder Woman's invisible jet as Transformers.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 4, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McCloud posted:

Batman was given a ring by Hal Jordan as "therapy", to get over his parents murder. Here's how that unfolded.

His unwillingness to get over his parents aside, during his first use of the ring he was able to conjure up a swarm of bats and his parents. Green Arrow tried to use the ring once and all he could muster up was a single arrow, and that took everything he had. He was exhausted afterwards. So a batman with a power ring should not be underestimated. He actually got offered a yellow power ring. It was searching earth for the scariest mother fucker it could find, and went for Batman. Batmans willpower overpowered the ring though, and it went searching for another candidate.

Did Geoff Johns write this? This feels like Johns' usual wanking off to Hal Jordan, the Green Arrow one was even better because Ollie's willpower was "too cynical" or some copout like that. In the past Hal used to hand out duplicate rings like candy and regular shmucks had no problem flying and doing basic hologram/construct stuff, he pulled poo poo like that all the time and it sure as hell didn't take "quit cold turkey a three-packs-a-day smoking habit" levels of willpower (another hyperbolic overstatement of how hard it is to pass Power Ring 101, basically the Flash's "I see things that happen in less than an attosecond" for GLs).

This is why you don't actually want that many comic book writers working on your other comic book-based properties.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Polaron posted:

That doesn't mean it wouldn't have made for some incredible splash panels.

Honestly, it would have been tricky from a rights issue since last I checked Hasbro tends to end up with Marvel.

Still, what could have been.

Yes, that is the Batplane and Wonder Woman's invisible jet as Transformers.

I would give so much money to have the batplane and the invisible jet as transformer toys.

DC YOU ARE SITTING ON A GOLDMINE HERE. :homebrew:

Regarding the show -
I was kinda peeved to see the Adult Barry Flash from the "Let's go kill Baby Barry!" scene didn't have yellow boots. I dig the highlight lines and I dig the white symbol but yellow boots would have been awesome.

Also, and I might be alone in this, but didn't we see Barry's mom NOT get killed? They beat the poo poo out of each other, and RF leaps at lil barry, but Adult Barry wasn't having any kind of inappropriate touching so he tackled him, and then ran off in another direction. After that we see RF lose his speed force ability, so wtf happened to his mom?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 4, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quote not Edit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Did Geoff Johns write this? This feels like Johns' usual wanking off to Hal Jordan, the Green Arrow one was even better because Ollie's willpower was "too cynical" or some copout like that. In the past Hal used to hand out duplicate rings like candy and regular shmucks had no problem flying and doing basic hologram/construct stuff, he pulled poo poo like that all the time and it sure as hell didn't take "quit cold turkey a three-packs-a-day smoking habit" levels of willpower (another hyperbolic overstatement of how hard it is to pass Power Ring 101, basically the Flash's "I see things that happen in less than an attosecond" for GLs).

This is why you don't actually want that many comic book writers working on your other comic book-based properties.

That stuff about willpower and difficulty and all that was all established by Kyle Rayner stories.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That stuff about willpower and difficulty and all that was all established by Kyle Rayner stories.

GL worship didn't start with Hal (let's take a few hours to talk about all the "Kyle is Space Neo" hints and arcs, or not) but it sure got more obnoxious with him.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't have enough willpower to care about Green Lantern

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

McSpanky posted:

GL worship didn't start with Hal (let's take a few hours to talk about all the "Kyle is Space Neo" hints and arcs, or not) but it sure got more obnoxious with him.

I haven't read a huge amount of Green Lantern stuff so I'm not terribly familiar with Green Lantern worship, but I was reading up on the newest Earth Green Lantern, Simon Baz a few days ago and I was tempted to shout at my screen a bit, because the Wikipedia article refers to him as "the miracle worker" - which seems a rather hyperbolic name for a character that's only a few years old at best and who is something like the 7th Earth Green Lantern viaing for attention at any one time. Though, to be honest, I found it worse that apparently someone from the future has revealed that he'll eventually train the first female Earth Green Lantern. That should not be something that you feel the need to build up, like it's some kind of landmark point that we're not ready for yet. If you want a female Earth Green Lantern then create Simone Baz instead of Simon Baz and be done with it.

Besides, Jade already exists (or existed, she's probably no longer canon) and she probably fulfills the criteria as is/was.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Can we keep the comic talk in the comic forum please? Including posting panels and dumb derails about Green Lanterns. Unless it is directly related to the show that is.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, and I might be alone in this, but didn't we see Barry's mom NOT get killed? They beat the poo poo out of each other, and RF leaps at lil barry, but Adult Barry wasn't having any kind of inappropriate touching so he tackled him, and then ran off in another direction. After that we see RF lose his speed force ability, so wtf happened to his mom?
It feels like they are being purposefully obtuse about what happened inside after Barry was gone or that they don't feel the need to show RF stabbing Nora. Remember, Nora's death was unintentional in the sense that RF didn't go back in time to kill her. They might be saving what happened while Barry was gone for a future episode, considering how gung-ho they are about Eobard being revealed to the main cast before this season ends.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wait, just rewatched that part and I hosed up.

Apparently they circled around and kept fighting, and Adult Barry ran lil Barry down the street, and a second or so later you see RF leave the house.

He had plenty of time to shiskabob the mom before his powers went poof.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wait, just rewatched that part and I hosed up.

Apparently they circled around and kept fighting, and Adult Barry ran lil Barry down the street, and a second or so later you see RF leave the house.

He had plenty of time to shiskabob the mom before his powers went poof.

I mean even if you see them leave at the same time he technically still had time to kill her, make breakfast, get in a 3 mile run and some yoga.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I often think that Barry communicating with the STAR Labs team while simultaneously running 500 mph might be the most skill intensive thing he does.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
possibly my favorite Flash moment this season was finally figuring out how the gently caress to say Eobard

I mean it took the Batman movies and Arrow, what, ten years to agree with Batman: TAS on Ra's? This is a landmark.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chokes McGee posted:

possibly my favorite Flash moment this season was finally figuring out how the gently caress to say Eobard

I mean it took the Batman movies and Arrow, what, ten years to agree with Batman: TAS on Ra's? This is a landmark.

But...Eobard can only really be said one way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chokes McGee posted:

Really? I thought it was pretty obvious how to pronounce that. I guess it could've been Ebbard but I never thought for once it wouldn't be Yobard. And of course Ee-oh-bard sounds dumb as hell.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Really? I thought it was pretty obvious how to pronounce that. I guess it could've been Ebbard but I never thought for once it wouldn't be Yobard. And of course Ee-oh-bard sounds dumb as hell.

I always mind heard it as "eyo bird", I can definitely see distinctions in how much emphasis you put on the "o" and "a". It is a futuristic fictional name after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Deadpool posted:

But they pronounce it 'ee-oh-bard' on the show, though? :confused: Like, both actors say it that way. (OK, Tom says it more 'ay-oh-bard', I guess)

• Locked thread