Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The first time I visited the new site it correctly suggested Iowa teams for me, but when I went back later it suggested Bay Area teams, so I think it's drunk or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I don't like how everything in the layout just blends into each other, it's difficult to scroll and scan through because there isn't enough separation/contrast between articles.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Its a web 2.5 site that uses content boxes (tiles) and mostly not designed for people looking at it on a pc, because mos (61%) of ESPN users are doing so on mobile devices. I could absolutely do with out the scrolljacking, and I think they need some better contrasts, but its a billion times better than their 1998 site.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
You either get mobile first design that makes the site nice and usable or you get pushed to an app constantly* with a blargh site on the phone. I'll take the former, thanks.

*they will still push you to the app as much as possible

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I know this is the bitching thread but I quite like grantland's mobile layout. One column, all text, ads above/below the story. The articles themselves on the other hand...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Did people actually like the old site design? It was bloated and dated as hell.

I'm not totally in love with the new design yet, but at least it doesn't look like it's stuck in 2004 anymore.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I only hope they have more autoplay videos when you click on a news story that consist of a 30 second ad and a 25 second sportscenter segment that says what the article says.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Benne posted:

Did people actually like the old site design? It was bloated and dated as hell.

I'm not totally in love with the new design yet, but at least it doesn't look like it's stuck in 2004 anymore.
I preferred it because it was easier to find articles. Clearly the new site emphasizes videos, which I could care less about, but whatever.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

R.D. Mangles posted:

I only hope they have more autoplay videos when you click on a news story that consist of a 30 second ad and a 25 second sportscenter segment that says what the article says.

Good news!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

That pisses me off way more than it should. It's common enough on websites now that I generally keep my sound on mute unless I specifically need it, but it is so goddamn annoying when I have the sound on and click on an ESPN scoreboard.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This has already been called out as lovely on Deadspin which means everyone has probably seen it, but it's really super lovely.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

R.D. Mangles posted:

Also more recap videos where its thumbnail is a play of the game but the video is actually 2 analysts just talking about the game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

This has already been called out as lovely on Deadspin which means everyone has probably seen it, but it's really super lovely.

I saw Bomani tweet it and dear God, what a lovely column.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

morestuff posted:

"I expected a friend of the familythug and instead I saw someone who could make a real good trophy wife!"

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

GoutPatrol posted:

"I expected a friend of the familythug and instead I saw someone who could make a real good trophy wife!"

No kidding. Keep digging that hole, Peter, you'll eventually hit journalistic China.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Par for the course for the Herald, the Boston newspaper for stabbing flag guy

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
It's a much worse sports column than the time Mark Whicker left the yard, that much is certain.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
We all saw this right? Made me laugh my rear end off.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It's a much worse sports column than the time Mark Whicker left the yard, that much is certain.
I've read that column a number of times over the last couple of years, and to be honest the loving thing belongs in a museum. It's art.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

morestuff posted:

Don'treadthecommentssectiondon'treadthecommentssectiondon'treadthecommentssection :negative:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Has anyone ever interviewed or written about what the hell Joe Buck was thinking reacting so strangely to Randy Moss fake mooning the crowd? Buck acts like Moss just killed a baby.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

joshtothemaxx posted:

Has anyone ever interviewed or written about what the hell Joe Buck was thinking reacting so strangely to Randy Moss fake mooning the crowd? Buck acts like Moss just killed a baby.
Sort of. http://www.sbnation.com/2013/8/18/4635030/joe-buck-randy-moss-mooning-fox

Buck brought it up when Moss joined them for a telecast. Moss said "I played the game, you analyzed it, you said what you said, I did what I did, we moved on from it, now we're working together."

Buck's never explained his logic, but it's probably just Joe Buck being...Joe Buck.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Duke University Coach Mike Krzyzewski Is a Profile in Cowardice :jerkbag:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

joshtothemaxx posted:

I was at that game in Green Bay. The crowd booed but no one really cared except Joe Buck. When I got back I barely remembered it happened but everyone at work was freaking out.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

It was actually a decent column...?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The B_36 posted:

It was actually a decent column...?

I don't know, I don't really give a poo poo about the political affiliations or beliefs of my sports people, unless they're really funny a la Pete Carroll, so I'd probably do the same as him, and I don't really get why the columnist is all upset about it. I'm there to coach the team, I'm going to talk about that side of things regardless of what the University is paying me, or what stance they and the NCAA are taking.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thaddius the Large posted:

I'm there to coach the team

"Coach basketball" is his job and he's at a work function. In some respects, it would be unprofessional to talk about it in the first place, regardless of his stance on it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Dave Zirin is a profile in taking the wrong reasons on what could be a right angle.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Hiding behind "professionalism" to excuse your support for bigotry is in fact cowardly.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mornacale posted:

Hiding behind "professionalism" to excuse your support for bigotry is in fact cowardly.

It's a Final Four weekend for a coach who is coaching in the Final Four, the only thing K cares about in terms of Indiana's law is whether they are playing there or elsewhere.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Oh look a Dave Zirin column where he's arguing that someone has a moral obligation to do something no matter how tenuous the connection is.

At least it's not his column arguing that the Jackie Robinson West story was really about the evils of 21st-century gentrification, wherein he provided zero examples of gentrification on the South Side of Chicago.

Mornacale posted:

Mike Shisheffski was on the eve of coaching his team in the Final Four against a team that has made it to the Final Four seven times in sixteen years. It was basically all that was on his mind all week. Would it have made anyone feel any better if he read out a statement that was written for him by an intern?

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 5, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Crazy Ted posted:

Mike Shisheffski was on the eve of coaching his team in the Final Four against a team that has made it to the Final Four seven times in sixteen years. It was basically all that was on his mind all week. Would it have made anyone feel any better if he read out a statement that was written for him by an intern?

Apparently the answer is yes for some reason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rolling Stone has published a huge retraction of the UVA campus rape story

E: tl/dr version: "We hosed up but we're not changing anything. It was actually all the storyteller's fault." I'm dumb!

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 6, 2015

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

DJExile posted:

E: tl/dr version: "We hosed up but we're not changing anything. It was actually all the storyteller's fault."

This is not at all an accurate summary of that article (which, incidentally, is a review of Rolling Stone's practices by two members of the Columbia School of Journalism and was not written by anyone affiliated with RS). Most of the focus is on flawed reporting by RS.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Gregor Samsa posted:

This is not at all an accurate summary of that article (which, incidentally, is a review of Rolling Stone's practices by two members of the Columbia School of Journalism and was not written by anyone affiliated with RS). Most of the focus is on flawed reporting by RS.

Yeah I hosed up between reading that that and a Daily Beast summary. My bad

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJExile posted:

Rolling Stone has published a huge retraction of the UVA campus rape story

E: tl/dr version: "We hosed up but we're not changing anything. It was actually all the storyteller's fault." I'm dumb!

This even got play on NPR last night. Or was it early this morning? Can't remember if I heard it while falling asleep or when waking up.

e: Rolling Stone's statement [emphasis mine]:

Will Dana, Managing Editor posted:

A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: Last November, we published a story, 'A Rape on Campus' [RS 1223], that centered around a University of Virginia student's horrifying account of her alleged gang rape at a campus fraternity house. Within days, commentators started to question the veracity of our narrative. Then, when The Washington Post uncovered details suggesting that the assault could not have taken place the way we described it, the truth of the story became a subject of national controversy.

As we asked ourselves how we could have gotten the story wrong, we decided the only responsible and credible thing to do was to ask someone from outside the magazine to investigate any lapses in reporting, editing and fact-checking behind the story. We reached out to Steve Coll, dean of the Columbia School of Journalism, and a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter himself, who accepted our offer. We agreed that we would cooperate fully, that he and his team could take as much time as they needed and write whatever they wanted. They would receive no payment, and we promised to publish their report in full. (A condensed version of the report will appear in the next issue of the magazine, out April 8th.)

This report was painful reading, to me personally and to all of us at Rolling Stone. It is also, in its own way, a fascinating document ­— a piece of journalism, as Coll describes it, about a failure of journalism. With its publication, we are officially retracting 'A Rape on Campus.' We are also committing ourselves to a series of recommendations about journalistic practices that are spelled out in the report. We would like to apologize to our readers and to all of those who were damaged by our story and the ensuing fallout, including members of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and UVA administrators and students. Sexual assault is a serious problem on college campuses, and it is important that rape victims feel comfortable stepping forward. It saddens us to think that their willingness to do so might be diminished by our failings.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 6, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think some people were upset because Rolling Stone said they weren't going to fire anybody. On one hand it seems like a screw up like that should cost someone their job, on the other firing people isn't exactly a solution.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought Rolling Stone did fire people over this months ago?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought Rolling Stone did fire people over this months ago?

No, they didn't discipline anyone. At least, not publicly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

joshtothemaxx posted:

The only explanation I can think of is that he thought Moss actually mooned the crowd, but I don't see how that could be.