Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

CottonWolf posted:

If they make a Pillars of Eternity 2, and you can transfer your character and your inventory over, I hope that right at the end of that game there's a random NPC who can do something with the Disappointer. It doesn't even have to be good, it might be funnier if it wasn't, but the Disappointer is just too good a joke to be left to die.

The best backer item, bar none.
What should happen is that you should be able to take it to a smith who claims he can make something extraordinary out of it, then he fucks up, strips whatever enchantments you had on it, and it becomes even worse than it was originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Basic Chunnel posted:

There would be plenty of ways to add urgency without a wasting mechanic.

BG-style dream sequences would suffice, I think

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
^ In the naive case yes "I want more bonuses", in the realistic case, I want to see if this bonus is worth choosing over this other bonus (choosing between talents, rings, etc.). In both cases, 20% is a clear winner over 15%, but is a 20% damage bonus better than 20% attack speed? Entirely depends on your current bonus-sums in the additive case, which is just retarded. Is a 20% damage bonus better than +10 damage per hit? To figure this out in the mutiplicative case, all I have to do is see whether 10 damage is more or less than 20% of my damage. In the additive case I have to see what 20% really means by looking at what I hope is my base weapon damage. etc.

WarLocke posted:

The claim was that adding the full value of the base wasn't doubling the base, which is incorrect.

No you said "750% is a 100% bonus over 650% though? It's just not double 650%" which isn't a true statement. X is a 100% bonus over Y explicitly means that X=2Y.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh hah. You can find the disappointer in the starting map.
Where? I thought I scoured the place, my first time through.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

WetSpink posted:

What class seems most likely to be able to complete the "Triple Crown SOLO" achievement?

The person who did act 1 of it here managed that with a rogue, I think. Arbalest and a lot of kiting.

I dunno. It seems there are enough fights where kiting isn't possible that confusion, charm or dominate is likely to be mandatory.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Basic Chunnel posted:

IIRC none of the CNPC questlines net you anything beyond XP so I don't reckon it matters too much.

I want different ending tiles mostly.

Thanks for those of you who confirmed what I should do! I think I'll drop this one for an adventurer monk or something, because his slot was going to go a terrible ranger who is just loving unfun to play.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Strudel Man posted:

Where? I thought I scoured the place, my first time through.

by the tent at the southern camp. Need to be actively searching with a point at least of mechanics skill.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

by the tent at the southern camp. Need to be actively searching with a point at least of mechanics skill.
Hm. I think I probably didn't have any mechanics that time.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

What should happen is that you should be able to take it to a smith who claims he can make something extraordinary out of it, then he fucks up, strips whatever enchantments you had on it, and it becomes even worse than it was originally.

Yes. This, exactly this.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
and so the rest of the thread's life was spent arguing over math

I heard that sabres are buffed in the patch. Are they now a good weapon+shield combo for Edér to be using? Or is there a different weapon type that would be better to use for him instead?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Rollofthedice posted:

and so the rest of the thread's life was spent arguing over math

I heard that sabres are buffed in the patch. Are they now a good weapon+shield combo for Edér to be using? Or is there a different weapon type that would be better to use for him instead?

They were buffed by like 10% base damage or something. I don't think makes up for slashing damage being terrible.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Is patch 1.0.3 patched yet? I'm asking because I want to restart, but I heard there were a few issues with this new patch so I'm waiting a few days.

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.
I made camp in Raedceras's sewers and now Durance won't move. So that's cool.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Who the heck can you actually imprison. I've finished almost every quest, and have encountered zero opportunities. I feel cheated by my dungeons.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Megazver posted:

That was my wording. I'm pretty sure they do say they won't work with you.

You're just bad at reading, sorry buddy. :shobon:

The Dozens guy says "It won't make them happy." I was expecting a reputation hit from that wording, to be honest, not complete cut-off. You're meant to infer that they won't work with you, but coming from games like New Vegas where you can have mutually exclusive quests in your log simultaenously, you might think otherwise.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 4, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Who the heck can you actually imprison. I've finished almost every quest, and have encountered zero opportunities. I feel cheated by my dungeons.

The one and only guy I found was a vithrack on the 12th level of Od Nua. :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Autonomous Monster posted:

The one and only guy I found was a vithrack on the 12th level of Od Nua. :shrug:

There's a guy who shows up later in Magran's Fork. He's not even in the strategy guide. Now my stronghold has an option to release him.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The one and only guy I found was vithrack on the 12th level of Od Nua. :shrug:

It's the only district I've explored but Copperlane alone had at least two people you can throw in jail, the wizard guy impersonating as the drug dealer and the orlan hiding in the catacombs.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 4, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

There's a guy who shows up later in Magran's Fork. He's not even in the strategy guide. Now my stronghold has an option to release him.

The death-godlike guy? Something the Something? He was a surprisingly tough fight out of nowhere.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

Some guy I found in Magran's Fork. Vramrast the Wanderer or something like that. And there was another guy but I forgot who he was and he ended up escaping anyway. I don't think there's that many and you're better off killing them anyway since you can't loot them if you imprison them.

edit: The other guy was the impersonating drug-dealing wizard. I think I recall reading there were only like 6 people total you could put in jail. If they do more with the Stronghold this is one area they should really rework. It just feels useless as it is. Either they escape if your security isn't high enough or they just sit around until you sell them for some small reward. You can't even talk to them. I also want them to add in a petting zoo where you can watch all your pets play together.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 4, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Kanfy posted:

It's the only district I've explored but Copperlane alone had at least two people you can throw in jail, the wizard guy impersonating as the drug dealer and the orlan hiding in the sewers.

Clearly I built my dungeons too late.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

There are a couple, but if you don't make building the prison a priority and go to Defiance Bay you're likely to kill some of the potential prisoners before they can be put away.

Prisoners that I've encountered:
- The orlan murderer hiding out in the Copperlane sewers
- The svef dealer mage impersonating the owner of the crack house in the north of Copperlane
- A death Godlike bandit who shows up on the road on one of the maps between Caed Nua and Gilded Vale. Shows up with the murderer from Gilded Vale's ruined temple if you kicked him out of town.

There are a few more. It's not really worth it, though - someone might show up to ransom them but odds are good that they'll break out of jail and never be seen again before that happens. It's not clear what, if anything, you can do to prevent that from happening. Feels like a joke at the player's expense. If someone yields to you, just kill them and take their poo poo

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Vehementi posted:

They were buffed by like 10% base damage or something. I don't think makes up for slashing damage being terrible.

If that's the case, are there any good clubs in the game? I'd like to take advantage of Edér's ruffian proficiency if possible.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rollofthedice posted:

If that's the case, are there any good clubs in the game? I'd like to take advantage of Edér's ruffian proficiency if possible.

I have seen one. I...don't remember where I got it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There was a fine club in, I think, the Endless Paths that got a 20% damage buff against prone (and flanked?) enemies

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I suck at lore plot summary attempt: Woedica hates animancy (it's a threat to her plot). Eothas figures out what's up and possesses Waidwen who leads the charge to... do something... then Woedica tricks Magran into getting her followers to make the bomb that blows up Eothas and then with the Leaden Key makes Waidwen's legacy and blames it on animancers?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Lotish posted:

I have seen one. I...don't remember where I got it.

I think you get it from a place in Act I, Cliaban Rilag: After you reach the machine, you can choose to follow a small stream out. There's an event that requires a Constitution 16 check to pass.

Also, where's a fella get a diamond or five?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Will it be obvious at which point I should stop just putting the heaviest armor on everyone in the party?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Red Crown posted:

Also, where's a fella get a diamond or five?

Apart from the occasional loot pile, they (and sapphires/emeralds/rubies) are sold in Twin Elms.

Apparently there's also a gem merchant in Ondra's gift, but I never found him. (I might have ended up killing him, if it's the guy I'm thinking of)

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

precision posted:

Will it be obvious at which point I should stop just putting the heaviest armor on everyone in the party?

Well, if they stop getting hit at all, due to deflection or your improved skill, they won't need heavy armor so much?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

precision posted:

When you are
1) Done with shadows
And/or
2) confident in your ability to micro your tank and healer to keep everyone alive.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Vehementi posted:

I suck at lore plot summary attempt: Woedica hates animancy. Eothas figures out what's up and possesses Waidwen who leads the charge to... do something... then Woedica tricks Magran into getting her followers to make the bomb that blows up Eothas and then with the Leaden Key makes Waidwen's legacy and blames it on animancers?
More like The Gods are creations of the Engwythans, basically spirit golems. They are the endgame of animancy. Thaos, being the high priest of the Engwythan's false pantheon, suppresses animancy wherever it arises because it's only a short trek from understanding the physics and nature of souls to discovering the truth about the Gods.

It's never directly clarified that Eothas marched on Dyrwood to stop Thaos, but that's what a lot of people are assuming. Being the God of rebirth and redemption, he is diametrically opposed to Woedica, the Goddess of power, stagnation, and eternal judgment, and thus it's conceivable that he / it opposes Thaos because denying Eora the truth is, in a way, a denial of its rebirth. Magran blows him up for her own reasons, either to keep the Gods' secrets (if Eothas marched to stop Thaos) or because he was stepping on her toes as goddess of war, or because she's essentially the patron deity of the Dyrwood.

As far as the story is concerned, the destruction of Waidwen and Waidwen's Legacy are two separate things, they just happen in close enough proximity for it to seem like they're connected. There's no direct or indirect evidence that I know of supporting the notion that Thaos orchestrated the Saints' War. But Waidwen's Legacy is Thaos' doing, and its sole purpose is to quash the rise of animancy research in the Dyrwood.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 5, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vehementi posted:

Well, if they stop getting hit at all, due to deflection or your improved skill, they won't need heavy armor so much?

Honestly I barely even skim the combat messages because they're so verbose. Wish there was an option for "minimal combat information".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Apart from the occasional loot pile, they (and sapphires/emeralds/rubies) are sold in Twin Elms.

Apparently there's also a gem merchant in Ondra's gift, but I never found him. (I might have ended up killing him, if it's the guy I'm thinking of)

Does Twin Elms also sell Gyran's Horn or Pilgrim's Crown (or whatever that fungus is called)? Because there are some super high demand crafting plants I cannot find spares of for the life of me.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
Kana and Endless Paths: He's actually the only companion that will talk a lot in the Endless Paths and will do so constantly, even past his story quest area, so it's worth bringing him along.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Just finished the Endless Paths before patching to see that one boss for myself before it gets changed and the Adra Dragon kind of just died. Being at level 12 after doing most of the bounties probably didn't make the fight any more challenging, but it felt like even at level 10 I probably would have had enough options to petrify, paralyze or knock her down. I actually did the fight twice, once just more or less clicking through the dialogue until an [Attack] response showed up and then a second time when I wanted to go the diplomatic route but found out that helping the dragon didn't sound like a very nice thing to do after all.
All that changed was whose status effects hit. The first time it was Edér's Knock Down, of all things, and then either Hiravias or my main character following up with an Earth Talon. The second time Aloth decided that, gently caress it, this is his moment, and hit the dragon first with a Gaze, and then beat all odds by landing a Capricious Hex 30 second paralyze on the dragon and two of the Adragans (which I was mainly aiming for with it). Then he took the remaining Adragans out of the fight with a Slicken, just for good measure. Both times nobody was in any danger of going down.

That's how most battles have been going for a while now. Anything that looks dangerous enough to warrant spells being used on it just gets buried under an avalanche of status effects, and the only thing that can delay the inevitable for some time is if they hit one of my druids or Aloth with a dominate or something first. Kind of unfortunate, since the early to mid levels were often quite challenging and had some very memorable fights (Caed Nua at level 3, the entire Skaen temple, the first set of bounties, Gramrfel the awful fucker).

Sort of related to the above, I don't like that completing bounties gives experience, especially as much as they do now (assuming this isn't patched). I mean, I'm doing those so I can have some more challenging battles, getting 8000 or more experience for a single one is pretty much exactly what I don't want since it makes the rest of the game, subsequent bounties included, a lot easier.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Why is it so hard to choose between Kolsc and Raedric?

Kolsc seems like a bastard who is getting me to toss Raedric out using his recent actions as justification so he can claim the throne

But Raedric is at least a man who knows the stakes and is trying to save his land, though the cost is great he bares it willingly

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I've been able to imprison two quest/task-related dudes so far. I build the dungeon as soon as I could, maybe that affects something.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's never directly clarified that Eothas marched on Dyrwood to stop Thaos, but that's what a lot of people are assuming. Being the God of rebirth and redemption, he is diametrically opposed to Woedica, the Goddess of power, stagnation, and eternal judgment, and thus it's conceivable that he / it opposes Thaos because denying Eora the truth is, in a way, a denial of its rebirth. Magran blows him up for her own reasons, either to keep the Gods' secrets (if Eothas marched to stop Thaos) or because he was stepping on her toes as goddess of war, or because she's essentially the patron deity of the Dyrwood.

Alternatively, her priests prayed for a really big bomb, and by her nature as the god of blowing poo poo up was obliged to provide one, whether or not she actually wanted Eothas blown up.

Lotish posted:

Does Twin Elms also sell Gyran's Horn or Pilgrim's Crown (or whatever that fungus is called)? Because there are some super high demand crafting plants I cannot find spares of for the life of me.

Not a clue, sorry. At some point I just started emptying out merchants' herb inventories, never had a problem running out of herbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Gridlocked posted:

Why is it so hard to choose between Kolsc and Raedric?

Kolsc seems like a bastard who is getting me to toss Raedric out using his recent actions as justification so he can claim the throne

But Raedric is at least a man who knows the stakes and is trying to save his land, though the cost is great he bares it willingly

I'm not sure how anyone can read / see Raedric's actions and deem him anything but a paranoid bloodthirsty tyrant.

• Locked thread