Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

N: Josh Hamilton goes on a cocaine bender, faces no discipline.

V: the NFLPA is a poo poo union

Go Angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Bad Moon posted:

If the Packers defense was better yes but naw still the Hawks

Who is the best in the AFC is a harder question

Packers defense lacks Brad Jones and AJ Hawk so its already better than last year. Seahawks oline is worse and Lynch is another year older.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pops Mgee posted:

Packers defense lacks Brad Jones and AJ Hawk so its already better than last year. Seahawks oline is worse and Lynch is another year older.

Ted hasn't brought in any inside linebackers yet has he? Looks like the team will dump multiple draft picks on the position.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Lessail posted:

is tom brady still the qb of the patriots? then it is the patriots

Patriots secondary left doe

Kazak_Hstan posted:

As a Mariners fan this pleases me

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Same

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

You guys let the offseason take you to dark places. Stop that.

Anyways have some nightmare fuel courtesy of Joe Theismann.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Brannock posted:

Ted hasn't brought in any inside linebackers yet has he? Looks like the team will dump multiple draft picks on the position.

We'll get to see Bradford after his redshirt year and Palmer is expected to take a step.

Hopefully Goodson will pan out at CB, but only having two real holes for the draft is nice.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

andre the giant loving owned

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I don't follow baseball, but didn't Hamilton tell his team he slipped up and did cocaine again? If he did not tell them, no one would have known, right? He didn't fail a drug test, get caught, get arrested, or anything, is this right?

Seems weird you would get in trouble for that, but Goodell would have sent him to Siberia, so who knows.

nrr posted:

andre the giant loving owned

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ribsauce posted:

I don't follow baseball, but didn't Hamilton tell his team he slipped up and did cocaine again? If he did not tell them, no one would have known, right? He didn't fail a drug test, get caught, get arrested, or anything, is this right?

He gets tested three times a week because...well because he was such a huge addict in the past. He self reported but he probably would have been busted anyway the way I understand it.

The Angels publicly throwing him under the bus and leaking all of his personal stuff is slimy as hell either way.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

commy gun posted:

You guys let the offseason take you to dark places. Stop that.

Anyways have some nightmare fuel courtesy of Joe Theismann.

Nothing with Andre could ever be a nightmare. He was by all accounts the nicest guy ever.

Now Andrew Luck tries to do his best impression of him when he talks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Nothing with Andre could ever be a nightmare. He was by all accounts the nicest guy ever.

well, unless the account comes from Bad News Brown

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

TubeStank posted:

We'll get to see Bradford after his redshirt year and Palmer is expected to take a step.

Hopefully Goodson will pan out at CB, but only having two real holes for the draft is nice.

I thought Bradford looked really good in college, honestly wanted him over Borland for long term development.

Since at the time, you know, I didn't think they'd need another ILB right away.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

He gets tested three times a week because...well because he was such a huge addict in the past. He self reported but he probably would have been busted anyway the way I understand it.

The Angels publicly throwing him under the bus and leaking all of his personal stuff is slimy as hell either way.

Well duh, the Angels want to get out of the contract they were dumb enough to give him in the first place.

Not gonna happen

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Alouicious posted:

well, unless the account comes from Bad News Brown

Bad News was a bad rear end.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, all the stories of his drinking are fantastic.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Only thing that came close was the numerous times his friends almost killed themselves trying to beat him in drinking contests.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Bad Moon posted:

If the Packers defense was better yes but naw still the Hawks

Who is the best in the AFC is a harder question

Seattle is kinda due for an injury riddled season though. I wouldn't be surprised if a few key players get hurt, and the team takes a step back (or two... or three). I can't really see them making it too the Superbowl a 3rd time in a row anyway.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I've got a question. Why isn't tanking as prevalent in the NFL, when it's a huge problem in the NBA? The value of an individual player is less? It's more noticeable when you take out your star players? Tighter dictatorship by Roger?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I seem to remember hearing that Hulk Hogan thought he was a bit of a dick, but that's just more credit to Andre in my book.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Its Miller Time posted:

I've got a question. Why isn't tanking as prevalent in the NFL, when it's a huge problem in the NBA? The value of an individual player is less? It's more noticeable when you take out your star players? Tighter dictatorship by Roger?

Bunch of reasons, a single player doesn't mean as much, the salary issues until 2011, the crazy turnover rates for front offices / coaches / players in the NFL...

But also, here's the last 10 #1's, how many would be worth tanking for?

Jadeveon Clowney
Eric Fisher
Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Sam Bradford
Matthew Stafford
Jake Long
JaMarcus Russell
Mario Williams
Alex Smith

You need a loving QB, but the QB alone doesn't fix enough of the problems for a franchise.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Its Miller Time posted:

To successfully tank, you need to have a generational player coming out of college. Sometimes the QB class is just poo poo. Even if there's a once in a decade prospect, those generational players can say "gently caress you" if they don't want to play for your organization. Eli, Elway, and Luck all did it. Besides, tanking isn't necessarily a good strategy. The Bobcats had the worst winning percentage of all time, but somehow got the 2nd pick in the lottery, and ended up with Michael Kidd Gilchrist instead of Anthony Davis.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

To successfully tank, you need to have a generational player coming out of college. Sometimes the QB class is just poo poo. Even if there's a once in a decade prospect, those generational players can say "gently caress you" if they don't want to play for your organization. Eli, Elway, and Luck all did it. Besides, tanking isn't necessarily a good strategy. The Bobcats had the worst winning percentage of all time, but somehow got the 2nd pick in the lottery, and ended up with Michael Kidd Gilchrist instead of Anthony Davis.

They ended up with their Hornets name back, so it all worked out in the end.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Also, in the NFL the players contracts are not guaranteed. The roster turnover is way higher. The nature of the game doesn't allow tanking either. In the NBA, there are no real repercussions to being lazy on defense. Oh no, I just let Jared Dudley blow by me...whoops. In the NFL, if you are half assing things you get flattened and probably hurt, or get someone else hurt. If the O-line is tanking, the QB gets killed by someone. In the NBA you lose 1 of 82 games. The NFL only has 16 games and close to every single person is playing for their contract in some way.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

You think Andrew Luck went back to college just so he wouldn't have to play for Carolina?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How did Luck say gently caress you a la Eli and Elway?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

blue squares posted:

How did Luck say gently caress you a la Eli and Elway?

He decided not to enter the draft that year. It doesn't actually mean anything for certain though.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chichevache posted:

He decided not to enter the draft that year. It doesn't actually mean anything for certain though.

He wanted anothe year with Harbaugh which tells you something.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

He wanted anothe year with Harbaugh which tells you something.

Wasn't his senior year with Shaw?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I have a random question. Do players have any say on them getting traded? Like if Bradford just flatly refused to play in Philly what are his options? Retirement?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Yaws posted:

I have a random question. Do players have any say on them getting traded? Like if Bradford just flatly refused to play in Philly what are his options? Retirement?

Yeah. There aren't any no-trade clauses. Sorta like Carson Palmer a few years back, he just flat retired.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Palmer retired because he did not get traded. I'm still salty the media worshipped him for that but would blast about 95% of the league if they did the exact same thing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I wish there was a way to gas individual pages of threads

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Chichevache posted:

He didn't want to play for Carolina was pretty much accepted at the time.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Silly Burrito posted:

They ended up with their Hornets name back, so it all worked out in the end.

Ol gently caress rear end George Shinn and New Orleans stole the Hornets and then for some reason called themselves the Pelicans. Good for Charlotte I guess. I would still rather the Bobcats have Anthony Davis and the Hornets have MKG.

edit:

Intruder posted:

Can we talk about football anime?

FINGERBLASTER69 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 5, 2015

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Intruder posted:

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

It'd probably help if y'all would finally spring the ADTRW honey trap

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

Seems weird you would get in trouble for that, but Goodell would have sent him to Siberia, so who knows.

Yeah, I think (from my limited reading on the story) that Hamilton more or less did evrything you want him to do, other than cocaine. Sounds like he owned his actions, complied with the process, etc. I don't think it helps anyone, including the league, to discipline someone in that situation. But the NFL would 100% chop someone's dick off on the same facts.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Yeah, I think (from my limited reading on the story) that Hamilton more or less did evrything you want him to do, other than cocaine. Sounds like he owned his actions, complied with the process, etc. I don't think it helps anyone, including the league, to discipline someone in that situation. But the NFL would 100% chop someone's dick off on the same facts.

He "owned" up to his actions because he knew he was going to fail a drug test and avoided the penalties associated with that by self-reporting. It's very self-serving but it's baseball and who gives a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

Can we talk about football anime?

Football anime is very loving good.

• Locked thread