Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, I think he pronounced like, "Eon," but with, "-bard," substituting for the, "-n."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
My name is Captain EO....bard Thawne.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The blonde guy definitely said Yobard.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I think I'll take Capt Bubblebeard's version thank you :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bad Moon posted:

I think I'll take Capt Bubblebeard's version thank you :colbert:

I don't remember his well enough but I'd be surprised if it was substantially different.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

Really? I thought it was pretty obvious how to pronounce that. I guess it could've been Ebbard but I never thought for once it wouldn't be Yobard. And of course Ee-oh-bard sounds dumb as hell.

Maybe your primitive 21st century ears can't properly understand how it's said.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Deadpool posted:

I don't remember his well enough but I'd be surprised if it was substantially different.

Just went and listened to it a few times and Cavannah pronounces it Ee oh bard

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Harrison Wells' primitive devolved lips are not capable of uttering the distinct glorious tones of futuristic names.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bad Moon posted:

Just went and listened to it a few times and Cavannah pronounces it Ee oh bard

Well there's the case made for separating them and getting the other actor back then!

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I always thought it was Ay-oh-bard.

It's a good thing the show corrected the pronunciation, I would have been so embarrassed if I ever got the chance to time travel to the 25th century. :ohdear:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If memory serves there was a pronunciation key in the back of the Life Story of the Flash hardcover and it was definitely Ee-Oh-Bard.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So in light of the big Thawne/Cisco conversation a few episodes ago, I went back to watch the Flash/Reverse Flash STAR Labs fight and man something else has to be going on there. Wells starts out talking to the recording, all well and good. Then he gets pulled into the force field and beat up and I guess he could be moving fast enough to be injuring himself while making it look like the recording is doing it or something.

Then Joe kills the force field, Reverse Flash drops Wells, steals the tachyon whatsit, comes back and begins beating the hell out of the cops, at which point Barry arrives and attacks him.

Somewhere in there Wells managed to change places with his injured self and go put on the costume behind the voice-activated barrier, but I'm not sure when.

Maybe I'm just tired but it feels like a piece is missing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I don't get it, unless you sound it out slowly like a weirdo it's gonna come out exactly like Cavanagh said it, somewhere between Eeyobard and Ayobard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Polaron posted:

So in light of the big Thawne/Cisco conversation a few episodes ago, I went back to watch the Flash/Reverse Flash STAR Labs fight and man something else has to be going on there. Wells starts out talking to the recording, all well and good. Then he gets pulled into the force field and beat up and I guess he could be moving fast enough to be injuring himself while making it look like the recording is doing it or something.

Then Joe kills the force field, Reverse Flash drops Wells, steals the tachyon whatsit, comes back and begins beating the hell out of the cops, at which point Barry arrives and attacks him.

Somewhere in there Wells managed to change places with his injured self and go put on the costume behind the voice-activated barrier, but I'm not sure when.

Maybe I'm just tired but it feels like a piece is missing.

Just throw in a Speed Mirage placeholder for the KO'd Wells and everything's good.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

McSpanky posted:

Just throw in a Speed Mirage placeholder for the KO'd Wells and everything's good.

He keeps moving around, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Polaron posted:

He keeps moving around, though.

If you pay close attention to the sequence where Wells displays the Speed Mirage ability for Cisco, the afterimage stops moving once established. It's not him moving so fast as to be in two places at once, it's more like a holographic slide projection.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

McSpanky posted:

If you pay close attention to the sequence where Wells displays the Speed Mirage ability for Cisco, the afterimage stops moving once established. It's not him moving so fast as to be in two places at once, it's more like a holographic slide projection.

That's my point. Wells keeps moving around during the scene at Star Labs.

Actually, no. You don't see Wells moving any more after Reverse Flash ganks the tachyon device. You see him in the background during the police beatdown but he seems to have the same pose the entire time. So I guess that's when the switch was made? But he's in costume when he grabs the device, and you see the Wells on the floor react to the device getting stolen :psyduck:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Polaron posted:

Actually, no. You don't see Wells moving any more after Reverse Flash ganks the tachyon device. You see him in the background during the police beatdown but he seems to have the same pose the entire time. So I guess that's when the switch was made? But he's in costume when he grabs the device, and you see the Wells on the floor react to the device getting stolen :psyduck:

It's the speedforce, quit thinking about it. :shrug:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Polaron posted:

Maybe the RF and the tachyon device are all projections from the forcefield generator? Everything from RF being trapped through RF beating on Wells and then stealing the generator happens with no interaction between anyone else but them, it could all be part of Wells' scripted event sequence. When RF takes the generator and disappears Wells could make a mirage image of his unconscious body and then come back in the yellow suit to beat on the cops, free and clear.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Did Reverse-Flash ever beat on Wells outside of the containment thingie (which we now know was just a glorified hologram chamber)? This clip just shows it happening inside, which could mean Wells was just acting hurt as his hologram pretended to beat him up. I don't remember if it happened outside, though, which would make it trickier since, as McSpanky and Polaron pointed out, the "speed mirage" doesn't move once it's established.

Hey so I guess my Last Read extension is messing up because that's pretty much what we're trying to figure out, never mind

edit 2: Here we go. Outside of the hologram chamber, they're never both moving at the same time. Mystery solved.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 5, 2015

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
While their fighting outside, Joe and Eddie don't go over to Wells to see if he's ok?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hazo posted:

edit 2: Here we go. Outside of the hologram chamber, they're never both moving at the same time. Mystery solved.

I just realized theres a half handed Fifth Element reference there. "Cisco! Lights!"

So the way I see the scene playing: The recording goes as soon as they field is triggered. RF says "Dr Wells we meet at last" ignoring Joe. "Field fails" right after the video feed is cut so there's no way to frame by frame it later and reveal the truth. When the field fails part two of the recording plays of Wells getting his rear end beat. RF steels tachyonic device and is momentarily Wells lying there beat up now that Joe has truly disabled the field by smashing it. Everybody turns and RF kills the redshirts.

The only piece out of place is the wells who remains lying around in the trap.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Robot Hobo posted:

She's either hiding her suspicions very well, or she graduated top of her class from "The Lois Lane School of Utterly Oblivious Journalism."

Robot Hobo posted:

If April O'Neil was as good of an investigative reporter as Iris West, we'd be in season 2 of TMNT before she finally suddenly shouts "Holy poo poo, you guys are big-rear end turtles! Why didn't you tell me?"

Why do people keep thinking Iris is an investigative journalist, or that her competence is somehow badly written?

Seriously, everybody at the paper looks down on her. Everybody's condescending towards her abilities to some extent, including her dad and Barry, and even Eddie. (except, amusingly enough, Wells, who knows a lot more about her than anybody else)

She's a Tumblrina who stumbled into a job at the paper because of her Flash blog. Her boss won't even let her write about other things.

She apparently had no internships, no part time jobs at the student paper, no connections in town through professors or anything, she was literally the Journalism Majortm who changed her major late junior year, then got a job as a Barista after college.

And compare eager beaver Iris with equivalently aged actual pro-journalist Linda, who figures out pretty quickly what's really going on with Iris and Barry.

evenworse username posted:

That was the only thing I didn't like about the last episode - Barry's pointless needling of Wells. They have an advantage at the moment in that Wells doesn't (or didn't) know they've figured him out, and Barry is going to piss it away making childish shots. It just came across as stupid.

After what we saw with the time reset button episode, that's in character though. Like Barry is flat-out told "don't do X-Y-Z" for perfectly logical, acceptable, and even potentially dangerous reasons, but he goes and does it anyway.

It's almost like the writers are treating these young 20-somethings as .. flawed human beings. :psyduck:

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 5, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

M_Gargantua posted:

I just realized theres a half handed Fifth Element reference there. "Cisco! Lights!"

So the way I see the scene playing: The recording goes as soon as they field is triggered. RF says "Dr Wells we meet at last" ignoring Joe. "Field fails" right after the video feed is cut so there's no way to frame by frame it later and reveal the truth. When the field fails part two of the recording plays of Wells getting his rear end beat. RF steels tachyonic device and is momentarily Wells lying there beat up now that Joe has truly disabled the field by smashing it. Everybody turns and RF kills the redshirts.

The only piece out of place is the wells who remains lying around in the trap.

Huh, I noticed something ... STRANGE ... in that scene:

immediately cuts to

I still want to believe this isn't just a hologram because of the dialogue with Eddie Thawne doesn't make any sense at all otherwise, but welp

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

I mean even if you see them leave at the same time he technically still had time to kill her, make breakfast, get in a 3 mile run and some yoga.

I might be :spergin: but this is the one problem I have with super speed on this show (and in general, though they don't really focus on it in the other media I've seen with this. Maybe they do, who knows, I haven't read a flash comic in... ever). Okay, Barry is super fast, got it, he can do anything a thousand times faster than you. So why does this make any sense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUiBMK_MVJs

Okay, Barry can move that fast, but what about the water he used to brush his teeth? What about the Coffee? Are the Baristas just dicks in that they had lattes already made for all those people, but the new guy was too much of a klutz to pass them out? Like 99% of your time spent in Starbucks or wherever is waiting for the coffee to brew, does Barry just wait faster than everybody else?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

My Q-Face posted:

I might be :spergin:

you might be, yeah

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
A Wizard Speedforce did it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

immediately cuts to

Incidentally this is really loving amazing scene composition and cinematography for a loving TV show.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

My Q-Face posted:

I might be :spergin: but this is the one problem I have with super speed on this show (and in general, though they don't really focus on it in the other media I've seen with this. Maybe they do, who knows, I haven't read a flash comic in... ever). Okay, Barry is super fast, got it, he can do anything a thousand times faster than you. So why does this make any sense?

Okay, Barry can move that fast, but what about the water he used to brush his teeth? What about the Coffee? Are the Baristas just dicks in that they had lattes already made for all those people, but the new guy was too much of a klutz to pass them out? Like 99% of your time spent in Starbucks or wherever is waiting for the coffee to brew, does Barry just wait faster than everybody else?

Speed force.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

My Q-Face posted:

Maybe he whizzes around various cafe's stealing coffees as the barista is about to hand them to someone.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Yes, Yes, Speedforce, I got that. :spergin: Waiting Faster than everybody else isn't funny or anything. So somebody address my post about Iris!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

My Q-Face posted:

Why do people keep thinking Iris is an investigative journalist, or that her competence is somehow badly written?

They don't think she's a trained journalist, they just think that she's been given enough clues to put together that something is going on, if not know exactly what's going on with Barry. Barry is struck by lightning, then nine months later wakes up and a day or two later the Flash appears on the scene moving around with visible lightning streaks. Iris herself starts questioning whether something is going on with him at this point because she notices that he's clearly hiding something from her and behaving strangely. Then the Flash starts stalking her and being kind of creepily flirty and a few weeks later she finds out that Barry has had a big crush on her for years. Around this point though she just accepts that Barry is being weird and drops the idea that he might be hiding something. She knows that STAR labs is hiding stuff and is probably involved with metahumans given the whole thing with Firestorm and how badly everyone covered up his connection to the place and that Barry is working there since the lightning strike. He frequently disappears really fast and all of a sudden is always on time for stuff despite the fact he was constantly late before the lightning strike. She's also heard the Flash get quite emotional about Barry's father's return, despite the fact he was in a room full of hostages at the time. There's probably other stuff I'm forgetting too.

If even Barry's father can put 2+2 together when he's only seen Barry or the Flash for a few minutes in total all season and hasn't been exposed to nearly as many hints about it, then Iris should be able to as well given the things she's seen and how close she apparently is to Barry and how well she's supposed to know him. The actress seems pretty good, but at the end of the day why should I care about her character if they're not going to do anything with her other than have her be the token love interest, which is all she really is at the moment?

Flesh Forge posted:

Huh, I noticed something ... STRANGE ... in that scene:

What's strange in that scene? Also, how did Reverse Flash beat himself up if one of them was a hologram/speed projection? If Reverse Flash was a hologram then none of the hits should have done any actual damage but we saw some, if Well was was the projection then why did he have damage a short while later when we see him? Was the damage from his fight with the Flash? I thought he only got hit by Firestorm successfully in that fight, and never by Barry.

Maybe he just beat himself up and made a few bruises and cuts to make it look authentic at some point I suppose.

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 5, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tsob posted:

What's strange in that scene? Also, how did Reverse Flash beat himself up if one of them was a hologram/speed projection? If Reverse Flash was a hologram then none of the hits should have done any actual damage but we saw some, if Well was was the projection then why did he have damage a short while later when we see him? Was the damage from his fight with the Flash? I thought he only got hit by Firestorm successfully in that fight, and never by Barry.

Maybe he just beat himself up and made a few bruises and cuts to make it look authentic at some point I suppose.

I don't know what's strange about it either, except maybe for the shadows.

Also, I like to think Wells locked himself in his Gideon room and listened to whatever 25th century version of Linkin Park there will be after he beat himself up.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

tsob posted:

all of a sudden is always on time for stuff despite the fact he was constantly late before the lightning strike.

He's still late for everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reverse Flash doesn't seem to cast a shadow.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes. Hmm.

e: I mean it's super blatant when you look at it paused and there's no way it could be a production error, so yes, hmm.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 5, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sekkira posted:

Speed force.

That temporarily brings everything he touches up to the same speed that he's moving. Otherwise he'd rip people apart, blow them up, do all manner of crazy poo poo.

He touches the coffee machine while fast, now the coffee machine and it's components are fast. He picks up a jug of water, the jug and it's contents are all fast.

Simple.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Flash has a speed force bioelectric field?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

tsob posted:

Flash has a speed force bioelectric field?

If you try to find a scientific explanation of what he does other than speed force, you're going to find a lot of things are impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The bioelectric field thing is an actual Superman answer to how does he not splatter people like wet bags of meat against his arms of steel when saving them. He extends his bioelectric field of course!

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 5, 2015

• Locked thread