Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Can't you at least use Steven's instant escape so you don't have to fight the battles?

Haha oops, yeah, I forgot about that ability entirely. Haven't used it a single time the whole game. Thanks, that'll make this last bit of searching go a lot smoother probably!

EDIT: it was in 4-3. I just ran through 70% of the game looking for one item I'd missed, haha. I think the red gemstones that sit in stores should count towards your completion % for the level.

This game has been really good, though! All the mechanics were really clever, and felt true to the characters, AND worked well as a game. I found myself using all four characters in a variety of situations, especially once I figured out how there's no harm in letting star points roll over to the next turn to do larger attacks (no point in squeezing out one last small attack with Pearl unless it's actually killing something).

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

TwoPair posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be hitting to use Garnet's 6-hit combo move but it's bothering the hell out of me because I can't even see any stars to tap before the game already chimes in to tell me I hosed up.

Very briefly a star pops up continues to pop up so long as you keep timing it right. Unfortunately it's easy to mess up so unless you're really good at that sort of thing, you're better off sticking to Garnet's basic attack or even Pearl's spear attack.

Posthumor
Jan 13, 2015

~amine~
My Steven is at his max level level of 20 and appears to still be slowly gaining EXP. Strange. Any ideas what's up?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I'm getting my butt kicked by the plant boss that clones all of the gems in world 2. Should I be going back to replay old levels searching for new paths or whatever to level up more?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm getting my butt kicked by the plant boss that clones all of the gems in world 2. Should I be going back to replay old levels searching for new paths or whatever to level up more?

If I recall, if you beat the plant, the fight ends, so if you just focus all of your attacks on it, it goes pretty quickly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

If I recall, if you beat the plant, the fight ends, so if you just focus all of your attacks on it, it goes pretty quickly.

It might be a good idea to take out the fake Amethyst first, though, as she'll by far be the most dangerous enemy.

Posthumor
Jan 13, 2015

~amine~

Bass Bottles posted:

Are you nailing the timing? Even stage one enemies can take down fully leveled gems if you flub the defense. If you haven't 100% any stages that might be a good idea too. You get good stuff doing that.

IIRC I won that fight by taking down Amethyst first. She does the most damage and has the worst timing. I probably buffed, debuffed her with Amethyst, and then launched Pearl missiles until she was dead.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The game is incredibly well-done and polished for a mobile game.

I really like that they designed it around touchscreen tappy-swipey play, but not in dumb ways -- instead of a virtual dpad or tap/drag to walk, you work with in effect a zoomed-in view to the dungeon maps where you move one grid square at a time by swiping.

It's nice to see a tie-in game not suffer from cringeworthy use of the IP or just crap mechanics, and actually be both a fun game and a nice part of the show's world.

One thing I learned from a blogpost by the developers: you can tap *anywhere* to react to an attack/defense tap prompt (I assumed you had to hit the star or the meter or whatnot, which is obviously making it more difficult then need be...)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Posthumor posted:

Are you nailing the timing? Even stage one enemies can take down fully leveled gems if you flub the defense. If you haven't 100% any stages that might be a good idea too. You get good stuff doing that.

IIRC I won that fight by taking down Amethyst first. She does the most damage and has the worst timing. I probably buffed, debuffed her with Amethyst, and then launched Pearl missiles until she was dead.

To be honest I'm pretty bad at the defensive tap timing. I keep getting at least one of my party members 1-turn KOed.

I've been trying to take out Amethyst-clone first but it's not working :( I guess I just need to pay better attention to blocking.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The game is not perfect but much better than I was expecting. It has a eesource management aspect that many casual jrpgs eschew completely (and many mainstream ones even have automatic postbattle healing).

I mean do you know hw many lovely adventure time games there have been???

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Ditocoaf posted:

Haha oops, yeah, I forgot about that ability entirely. Haven't used it a single time the whole game. Thanks, that'll make this last bit of searching go a lot smoother probably!

EDIT: it was in 4-3. I just ran through 70% of the game looking for one item I'd missed, haha. I think the red gemstones that sit in stores should count towards your completion % for the level.

This game has been really good, though! All the mechanics were really clever, and felt true to the characters, AND worked well as a game. I found myself using all four characters in a variety of situations, especially once I figured out how there's no harm in letting star points roll over to the next turn to do larger attacks (no point in squeezing out one last small attack with Pearl unless it's actually killing something).

I'm in the same boat, but I definitely got the one in 4-3. Dammit.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Got the game last night and stayed up way later than I intended and beat it just now.

I focused on attack for Pearl, especially once I got her final power which I abused the heck out of (combined with Garnet's defense reduction it rips even the toughest enemies apart). Amethyst I did luck + the luck-based fire and poison badges, since she hits multiple targets and can clear out a room of mooks pretty quickly. Garnet got all the harmony and defense upgrades since I gave her the self-healing badge and by lategame her main purpose was absorbing enemy attacks anyway.

I liked how there were distinct phases for the game for me. Early game I barely used Amethyst and Pearl because their attacks were so weak/expensive, so Garnet did pretty much all the real fighting. Mid-game I would use Amethyst and Garnet to clear out weaker enemies, then Holo-Pearl on a last enemy (I got really good at hitting the 3), then Steven healing, then if the last enemy was someone tough I'd save up to 9 stars and Shieldbreak + Puma + Spear it. Lategame, it was almost entirely Pearl just mowing enemies down with her fireballs and quick strikes, leaving Amethyst and Garnet just for support.

It was really really difficult at first (I had to do the Indigo Gauntlet something like four times), but once I got the timing right for defenses (and super-buffed Steven's healing powers for mid-game) it became much-easier-but-still-very-fun.

Ending spoilers:

:3:

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
That was a good call. Endtown is pretty great.

On topic post: Steven Universe is currently my favorite anime.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

So Math posted:

I'm in the same boat, but I definitely got the one in 4-3. Dammit.

I'm now in the same boat. I cannot find the last orange gem. Has anybody compiled a list of locations, yet?

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
If you're stuck trying to find the same last orange gem I was stuck on, there's a secret room just past the exit warp pad. Easy to miss since the game auto-directs you to the pad when you tap/swipe and the little level clear balloon pops up and it's all very distracting. Look for the sparkles!

edit: if you up her offense and luck stats enough, Amethyst's basic attack becomes a beast late game, especially when you're backtracking to find secrets. With the right badges one hit can wipe out 99% of mook squads. I never found much value in any of her specials though; Pearl and Garnet always seem to hit harder for cheaper.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 5, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
found some cool cosplay

source

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Tollymain posted:

found some cool cosplay

source

Good god, they found their perfect cosplay. I always appreciate cosplayers who just get it right, yknow?
Even if i think cosplayers are kinda weird

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

found some cool cosplay

source

I saw this on Reddit and everyone was freaking out over how pretty she was and how they now understood Mayor Dewey's attraction until it was revealed that that's actually a dude, at which point they quickly backtracked.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Hair isn't expressing emotions. Sub-par.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Tollymain posted:

found some cool cosplay
source

I would be scared too, pizza hut pizza is an abomination.

And those do look amazing, I wish I could pull off costumes like that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

lelandjs posted:

I saw this on Reddit and everyone was freaking out over how pretty she was and how they now understood Mayor Dewey's attraction until it was revealed that that's actually a dude, at which point they quickly backtracked.
ahaha

utterly destroyed

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: poo poo

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 6, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He's nailing the facial expressions, too. Especially that upper-right one in the first pic.

Unrelated, have I mentioned I can't wait for the next episode?

source

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
family resemblance is a lot clearer when he has hair

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

Can you link this?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

WickedHate posted:

Can you link this?

Found the thread, turns out that I was misremembering because there isn't actually much backtracking at all. Here's the link anyway: http://www.reddit.com/r/stevenuniverse/comments/31geod/holy_crap_this_pearl_cosplay/

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

There's this comment thread which links to the tumblr description, but the description is pretty neutral. It mentions "Teen Boy Feelings" which is their tag for Neon Genesis Evangelion so it could just be referring to Shinji as the teen boy in question.

Their description pretty pointedly avoids any pronouns or gendered names, so I'd lean towards a neutral "they" :v:.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The cosplayer is a trans woman but even if she wasn't y'all shouldn't be gross about the "actually a man" comments

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Let's quickly backtrack from THIS train of thought with a funny comic!

http://neodusk.deviantart.com/art/Steven-Universe-Grose-524872944

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

flatluigi posted:

The cosplayer is a trans woman but even if she wasn't y'all shouldn't be gross about the "actually a man" comments

This is a good point, I had assumed when someone said that they were a boy crossplaying, but that's really problamatic language to use and outright transphobic when referring to trans people.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 6, 2015

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

flatluigi posted:

I wasn't saying it was gross or anything, I'm a firm believer in being who you are and all that. I was amused by (what I thought) was Reddit experiencing trans panic.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 6, 2015

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I saw the bulge in the first full body picture and thought it was out of place to put in a Pearl cosplay....why go through all that effort and high quality work when....oh it's a dude. Awesome work.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

lelandjs posted:

I was going to say. It may be because I just started catching up on the latest season of Rupaul's Drag Race but my brain instantly went dat's a (biological) man, baby because there's no "tuck" happening. I might not have noticed if my brain hadn't been digesting so many episodes of drag prior. Great cosplay though! She's the best Pearl I've seen yet.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 6, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jay O posted:

I was going to say. It may be because I just started catching up on the latest season of Rupaul's Drag Race but my brain instantly went dat's a (biological) man, baby because there's no "tuck" goin on there. I might not have noticed if my brain hadn't been digesting so many episodes of drag prior.

You should really try not to think like that.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

WickedHate posted:

You should really try not to think like that.

I don't think you can force yourself to think there's not a dick somewhere if your eyes go straight to a dick in a picture. I respect the cosplayer's identity as a woman, and I think she has a fantastic Pearl cosplay. But yeah, after watching many episodes of a show centered around the tucking of junk, I'm gonna immediately notice untucked junk, and before I knew she was a trans woman from reading further posts, I went "Oh! Crossplay! Cool." Mea culpa. Not much I can do about that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jay O posted:

I don't think you can force yourself to think there's not a dick somewhere if your eyes go straight to a dick in a picture. I respect the cosplayer's identity as a woman, and I think she has a fantastic Pearl cosplay. But yeah, after watching many episodes of a show centered around the tucking of junk, I'm gonna immediately notice untucked junk, and before I knew she was a trans woman from reading further posts, I went "Oh! Crossplay! Cool." Mea culpa. Not much I can do about that.

It's not that noticing junkis bad, just labling junk "male" or "female". Sometimes women have cocks and sometimes they have vaginas. Same with men.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

WickedHate posted:

It's not that noticing junkis bad, just labling junk "male" or "female". Sometimes women have cocks and sometimes they have vaginas. Same with men.

Sure. That woman has a dick. It was outlined in yellow so I noticed it very quickly. I think that's all there is to say about it. Moving on~

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't think gems can have piercing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The way I go about it is that there is one's biological sex, and one's gender. You are assigned your sex, and the associated primary and secondary physical characteristics, at birth. You are born either "male" or "female." However, the concept of gender, that ones sex is inexorably connected to ones behavior, is a social construct. You can be born biologically male and ultimately determine that you are a woman regardless.

That's my stance, and I think it's a moderate, not completely tumblr-crazy one, on the matter.

• Locked thread